• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

First Spouse Coins

shallow_explorer

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
"What can YOU get for the stuff TODAY? It's only worth what you can get"

Shoot, I'd give you 125%. And be happy to have "stolen" the coins.

Just sayin'

hernancortes

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Well I have never operated under the illusion that most modern numis. are liquid. If you're gonna play in this area you either need to venture outta this forum & get hooked up with the dealers on the CCE like mitch or learn to tolerate ebay.

savvydon

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
You describe a thinly traded market. ONE dealer. The folks here are hoping for more liquidity with their "investments". Is this not true?
There are more than one dealers, but the market does seem pretty thin right now. This is a fine play IF you can sit on them, not unlike sitting on bullion when necessary. The down side is that the costs to get in are a bit higher than bullion and the up side is that sometimes a piece of the market catches fire and upside is greater.

hernancortes

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
All it proves is that Apmex are glad to sell and sit on stuff that doesn't sell, but they also don't pay. They don't pay well for classics like morgans and peace's either so I guess those all melt the same too. Someone should tell Tulving --the most wholesale of wholesale dealers, that the common 2009 UHR melts the same. He's paying $2300 for them raw.

All it proves is that Apmex are glad to sell and sit on stuff that doesn't sell, but they also don't pay. They don't pay well for classics like morgans and peace's either so I guess those all melt the same too. Someone should tell Tulving --the most wholesale of wholesale dealers, that the common 2009 UHR melts the same. He's paying $2300 for them raw.
What will he pay for a hodge podge of graded Spouses? Hey, I'm GLAD the mint gave you a winner with the UHR. Those winners are few and far between from what I've seen.

savvydon

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
What will he pay for a hodge podge of graded Spouses? Hey, I'm GLAD the mint gave you a winner with the UHR. Those winners are few and far between from what I've seen.
Nearly half the first spouse coins have 'popped' significantly above melt, even as spot price has moved along as the series has unfolded. Of course, the price to go in on them is above spot to begin with, and therein lies the trade off. Still, I believe the return holds up well going head to head against straight bullion.

hernancortes

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I've never seen tulving deal in spouses though very occasionally he'll have an offer to buy some unusual modern on his site. If you catch Silvertowne at the right time they are decent buyers of hot moderns. Sold them a whole mess of spouses in 2011 for 10% back of greysheet. There are lots of winners in moderns, you just gotta be inclined to do some legwork and research.

I've never seen tulving deal in spouses though very occasionally he'll have an offer to buy some unusual modern on his site. If you catch Silvertowne at the right time they are decent buyers of hot moderns. Sold them a whole mess of spouses in 2011 for 10% back of greysheet. There are lots of winners in moderns, you just gotta be inclined to do some legwork and research.
Hot or unusual moderns. I'll keep that in mind. :rolleyes:

Deweydog

Seeker
Seeker
Just for grins, I called Ampex asked for their spreads on spouses Van Burens, talked to a Numismatist, not the air head who does not know feces from shinola.

They were indeed offering 98%, selling at $1475.
My take in talking to him was that it is a very thin, cold market for these items.
I offered him melt + 20% for 5 or so, they had a quantity of them in original boxes..he was somewhat sympathetic but said pricing was not up to him, they are firm at $1475.

They got very deep pockets and IF you did need to sell in a pinch, 98% in good funds very well could be a good offer.
I would hate to go to a coin show and have to sweat a weekend check from an out of state dealer.

With that said, the near future liquidity market for these appears VERY limited to all but a handful of dealers- collectors.

Oldmansmith

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Just for grins, I called Ampex asked for their spreads on spouses Van Burens, talked to a Numismatist, not the air head who does not know feces from shinola.

My take in talking to him was that it is a very thin, cold market for these items.
I offered him melt + 20% for 5 or so, they had a quantity of them in original boxes..he was somewhat sympathetic but said pricing was not up to him, they are firm at $1475.

They got very deep pockets and IF you did need to sell in a pinch, 98% in good funds very well could be a good offer.
I would hate to go to a coin show and have to sweat a weekend check from an out of state dealer.

With that said, the near future liquidity market for these appears VERY limited to all but a handful of dealers- collectors.
So why would they turn down spot plus 20% if nobody wants them?

I smell a rat.

Chester-Copperpot

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
If you want top dollar for numismatics, eBay is your best bet. Anytime I'm flipping something I don't even consider the big dealers, or LCS. Even after fees your much better off selling on eBay, that's where the dumb money is.

hernancortes

Gold Member
Gold Chaser

At this point I do not see the likes of Apmex prying Van Burens, especially uncs out of the hands of anybody at melt-based pricing. It's had 5 years to disperse into the hands of collectors, it is known as the key to a closed sub-series, and there's only 3800 of them. Anyone would just rather hold onto it knowing all that, and their owners do know that. Apmex was an aggressive buyer of spouses two years ago. I bet they acquired these around the same time they offered me $1000 ea. for unc Buchanans, a lesser coin.

Solo

Midas Member
Midas Member

Just because the market is "small" doesn't mean it does not exist. I have a network of dealers I buy and sell spouse coins through and I can assure you Apmex is not on the list ;). The market is only thin and cold for those who don't know where to sell, but obviously spouse coins aren't nearly as liquid as other many other series. Dewey if you seriously need help liquidating a spouse collection send me a PM :).

HistoryStudent

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
All my babes' are going

I think I'm gonna CRY!

Last edited by a moderator:

HistoryStudent

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
When this ugly ass set ends, will they be starting something new??[/QUOTE

Dear friend,

This set is the most FUBAR = Fouled Up Beyond All Belief

of all the 220 years in all of HISTORY OF AL
the Years of the mint.

It's like they hired a group of MINDLESS MONKEYS to run the damn thing.

You'll be damn sorry you missed the boat if you did.

Kinda like BLOWING OFF THE RAREST and the BEST of all the coins that the US Mint ever made: and
they are in your TIME for GOODNESS SAKE.

HistoryStudent

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
http://www.coincommunity.com/us_gold_eagles/turban_head.asp

Proving up how FUBAR the entire SPOUSE set is either in MS or PF (buy both unless your MOMMY drowned all the dumb ones) it is.

HS QUOTE (quote ME!) : "NO SHYT! Dick Tracy they made more Eagles (READ $10 SPOUSES) coins in the 1790s USA than now!"

Try to buy a EAGLE in MS70 from back before 1799 for less than $10,000,000.00

It ain't gonna happen... HA HA HA!

TheMadHatter

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
http://www.coincommunity.com/us_gold_eagles/turban_head.asp

Proving up how FUBAR the entire SPOUSE set is either in MS or PF (buy both unless your MOMMY drowned all the dumb ones) it is.

HS QUOTE (quote ME!) : "NO SHYT! Dick Tracy they made more Eagles (READ $10 SPOUSES) coins in the 1790s USA than now!"

Try to buy a EAGLE in MS70 from back before 1799 for less than $10,000,000.00

It ain't gonna happen... HA HA HA!

I understand the rarity. But what about the "collectivity"? Who is going to want this set in 10 years? I certainly won't.

I had a few spouses in the beginning of this thing. They're just so damn ugly.. And what the hell happens when the current presidents cow of a wife is put on government gold? Sounds like an extremely sad day..

savvydon

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I understand the rarity. But what about the "collectivity"? Who is going to want this set in 10 years? I certainly won't.

I had a few spouses in the beginning of this thing. They're just so damn ugly.. And what the hell happens when the current presidents cow of a wife is put on government gold? Sounds like an extremely sad day..
The current presidents wife will not appear in the series as things currently stand. The First Spouse coins are tied to the presidential coins. These come out four per year and only if the president has been deceased for at least two years.

HistoryStudent

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Page 72 Eric Jordan's book : Modern Commermorative Coins

proves that 100 years ago with JUST 50,000,000 folks THEN that these will be the CREME of THE CREME
coins some 10 years from now.

The problem is that a set will go for MILLIONS and MILLIONS of dollars because so many MISSED the boat.

Hope your mommy did not miss the boat to drown the extra dumb one.

Sorry having fun...

HS

Beg borrow or steal but grab the 2012 and 2013 spouses "if'in the bastardoes even come out!"

RxGold74

Seeker
Seeker
The only spouse I'm interested in is the one I just kissed goodnight. I'm passing on these.

HistoryStudent

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
The only spouse I'm interested in is the one I just kissed goodnight. I'm passing on these.
You are SO right. That's why they will start to sell LESS than 2,000 units on the next five UNC spouses and DIVING.

The PROOFS will do a little better, but way worse than the 2012s.

HistoryStudent

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Good down-to-earth article. Thanks for the heads up.

The spouses are not the world's most favorite that's why the MINTAGE NUMBERS were/are/will be tremendously low.

The article says correctly that most bullion coins will trade at melt. Jordan say's that ALL GOLD coins will be at melt plus a small small premium for the rarest too after $3,000. Frankly by the end of this BULL MARKET gold should be MULTIPLES of that $3,000 Jordan quotes. The world has never seen every country on FIAT gone crazy is a race against the other JONES' countries. For example: Japan just took our QE 1 2 3 4 and added 10% to it for their VERY FIRST Japanese QE 1.

So keeping that in mind:
I L@@K at these spouses as 100 years ago our coin collecting fathers L@@KED at the following similar type series as a hedge against deflation which still has a 10% chance:

1821 to 1834 Gold Half-Eagles
1850 to 1870 Gobrecht Dollars
1801 to 1804 Proof Draped Bust Dollars
1873 onward US Trade Dollars
1915 Panama Pacific Gold which will soon be copied by the US Mint
Most of the Pre-1982 US Silver Commemorative Halves

PG.# 72 Jordan's Modern Commemorative Coins book. Read it slowly.

Yes they are losers now especially as we approach a HUGE PRICE RISING GOLD market into PHASE II shortly.
But just like those that hesitated to buy the recent REVERSE PROOF BUFFALO at $1600 ish now it's way up there
and ring weekly. This is the new normal catching up with the 120% money supply printing since 2008.

AND THAT'S rising too.

PS Just saw the 2013 5 Ladies coming out and BOY are they bad L@@KING.
I fully expect a UNDER 1,500 coin in the near future. IN THE lowest 10 mintage of all history when most of
the lower coins were when America only had a population of 50 million or 1/7 of today's.

savvydon

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Amazing to me how far out the Mint has let the spouses stray again this year. If I were marketing I would have tried to give each coin at least a month before rolling the next one out. It is almost as they are deliberately trying not to encourage series popularity.

HistoryStudent

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Amazing to me how far out the Mint has let the spouses stray again this year. If I were marketing I would have tried to give each coin at least a month before rolling the next one out. It is almost as they are deliberately trying not to encourage series popularity.
Like the 1915 PAN PACIFIC $50 gold coins on steroids. (the ones they are copying next year in $5)

They like the spouses MS70 PF70s in 1915 were about ONE-MONTHS pay. (the FED was brand new then)

$100 was one months pay in 1915 - $1,300 to $1,500 X 2 one for each = will be one months pay in 2013.

Most Americans make less than $30,000 now on Obamacare. Evil.

Funny how history always RHYMES.

And so many MISS the boat.

Last edited:

earplugs

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Good down-to-earth article. Thanks for the heads up.

Yes they are losers now especially as we approach a HUGE PRICE RISING GOLD market into PHASE II shortly.
But just like those that hesitated to buy the recent REVERSE PROOF BUFFALO at $1600 ish now it's way up there
and ring weekly. This is the new normal catching up with the 120% money supply printing since 2008.

They can always remarket these ladies in the future. All it takes is one or two bad boys to bid up the prices to the moon or some of the big bullion dealers to say 50% were melted.

Boom. Prices take off, and there won't be any more reminted.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and most people are told what is valuable.