• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

First Spouse Coins

HistoryStudent

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Totally understand YOUR cares: and by that please understand that in 1986 ish something called NGC and PCGS started out to - shall I say -
authenticate the Saints (hoping you are part Catholic anyway) - or shall I say - or perhaps call - started what I call the RICH MANS' (plural) PROTECTION.

There is nothing like having a SAINT (protected and guaranteed and then actually certified: as this is the toughest qualification of any SLAB BEITWHATMAY
- A golden SAINT!)
in a slab compared to a $50 AGE - plain - or anything there is is come what may.

You get the drift. It AIN'T the darn coin it's the guarantee of the 15 slab grader folks that say that SOB is LEGIT!

please see the small book: The secret currency for an explanation -- the rich folks money in gold.

IT IS NEVER THE COIN but the authentication of the public that is desired.

Last edited:

Deweydog

Seeker
Seeker
Sure hope Eric sold enuff of those books to cover printing costs.

I think it is not comparing apples to apples, when comparing the mintages of coins that were placed into immediate commerce versus modern made "rarities".
The early US coinage, low mintages and all, were in many cases melted or lost to time. These modern "rarities" are non-circulating high premium bullion; that appeal to almost no one. Many are entombed in plastic, placed in safety deposit boxes, never to see daylight.....ZERO ATTRITION.
The only prayer that they have, is decades after most hit the melt buckets in the next run-up, that a T.V. coin huckster promotes them.

I think your money is better spent elsewhere....even if they only make 1000....that same 1000 will exist and still be
the over-priced half ounce of gold that they are.

Solo

Midas Member
Midas Member
>>>I think it is not comparing apples to apples, when comparing the mintages of coins that were placed into immediate commerce versus modern made "rarities".

Dewey if you wish for a more direct apples to apples comparison, then how about comparing modern mint commemoratives to the commen's of yesteryear as after all the mint has been cranking out coins direct for customers, and not circulation, for over 100 years now. The classic commen's have all done extremely well with some of the lower mintage items costing a fortune these days (eg pan pac gold). Even some of the stuff that was saved in high grade from the get go (eg many of the half dollar commen's) are still worth a decent penny even though so many remaining pieces are mint state.

As for zero attrition with modern commens, that couldn't be further from the truth as many coins were melted like the 2007 spouses during the '11 spike in metals. Besides at the end of the day it comes down to supply and demand so some of today's coins may be valuable in spite of the fact there are so many survivors (eg. the buffalo dollar commen from 2001 that sells for $200 in spite of the fact over a quarter million were made). Honestly it's hard to imagine the spouses ever being a 'hot series' in the future, but regardless some will certainly do better than others over the long haul as coins are melted during spikes and others find strong hands. If you're only paying a few dollars more than you would for a half ounce AGE, you really can't lose IMO.

As for money being better spent elsewhere, I would argue that buying certain modern numismatic bullion coins over straight bullion for just an extra percent or two in cost over bullion is the better buy. The key to doing well with modern numismatic coins IMO is to always buy as close to melt as possible and not to chase prior winners. I've stuck with that philosophy myself over the last few years and I've absolutely killed the "bullion only" stacker when it comes to returns. I don't say that to be boastful, but rather to illustrate the simple fact that while many here are poo-poo'ing modern coins for simply costing a smidgen more than ASE's or AGE's, I've been flipping extras and adding extra ounces to my stack for free. Again, the trick is to always buy this stuff for the lowest premium possible, don't chase past winners, and never play the label game (unless you really know what you're doing). At least it's worked or me and a few others I know very well in recent years.

HistoryStudent

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Back in 2008 the US Mint wanted a coin that emulated the ASIAN wants of 24 KT. Gold.

READ the 2008 set called the GOOD LUCK SET - 1/2 ounce buffalo & saint: The MINT ain't 100% stupid.

Most miss the fact that many smart people are a tad early.

I predict that in 2017 the spouses will fulfill that 24 KT. want and be so DAMN rare as a set that most will be amazed.

Kinda like the SAINTS that were proofs in the early 1907 to 1915 era.

L@@K at their prices now.

Deweydog

Seeker
Seeker
I could agree with purchasing them a few dollars over the cost of a half ounce GAE.....not the initial mint price of $200 over.

Here is story of sales of Pan Pac....About this set: Designed by Robert Aitken, the Panama-Pacific $50 was authorized by Congress for sale at the Panama-Pacific Exposition held in San Francisco during 1915. The Congressional act provided for the production of 3,000 examples, 1,500 coins each in Round and Octagonal formats. Although initial sales proved promising, the asking price of $100 a coin was too high for most exposition attendees to handle, this despite the fact that the cost also entitled the buyer to a Pan-Pac Half Dollar, Gold Dollar and Quarter Eagle at no additional charge. Even though sales continued through November 1, 1916 (well after the exposition had closed), the majority of Pan-Pac Fifties were eventually returned to the Mint and destroyed as unsold. Net mintages are just 483 Round examples and 645 Octagonal pieces. The Octagonal variety seems to have sold better than its Round counterpart due to the perceived uniqueness of the coins' shape among exposition attendees and contemporary collectors. The large size of these coins acted as a magnet for abrasions, with Minerva's cheek being particularly prone to displaying wispy slidemarks and other signs of mishandling. Given the relative net mintages of these two varieties, the Octagonal Pan-Pac $50 is slightly more obtainable in today's market than the Round variant. On the other hand, there are a few more Round examples certified above the MS-65 grade level than there are for the Octagonal variety. Both versions, however, are very rare in the finest Mint State grades when viewed in the wider context of the rare coin market. Each $50 Commem contains 2.419 oz. AGW

HistoryStudent

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
wait a few years and buy them then.

perhaps at 10X.

hernancortes

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
In late 07 leading up to May-June 2008 when platinum hit 2000-2300, dealers reported getting in a lot of platinum eagles including proofs which in turn hit the melt buckets. It makes sense to me that these would literally be melted due to industrial demand. Anyway if this were to happen to spouses it would only further help those who stuck with the series. Sentiment would have to stay low and the melt price would have to be pretty high to have any discernable effect.

hernancortes

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Excellent post HC. Given the current year's sales number it makes you wonder if the mint will short strike all of the 2014 coins that they are supposedly working on right now.
The mints product schedule says Hoover debuts 8/14 and E. Roosevelt 9/4 which means they are probably striking them now. So you make a good point... if they are employing someone to come up with a prudent number of coins to strike then surely they would look at current sales and conclude... what exactly? You guys? Would an even 2000 uncs be more than enough?

savvydon

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
The mints product schedule says Hoover debuts 8/14 and E. Roosevelt 9/4 which means they are probably striking them now. So you make a good point... if they are employing someone to come up with a prudent number of coins to strike then surely they would look at current sales and conclude... what exactly? You guys? Would an even 2000 uncs be more than enough?
It will be interesting to see how long the Mint waits before the 2013s go dark. It will also be interesting to see the market reaction to what will almost certainly be new low mintages.

I have managed to pick up the liberty subset(all proof) in the past few months for a lot less than what I thought id be able to . i also picked up an alice paul(also proof). Im in it for the very long haul. I am torn between trying to complete the set (proof) or go after lower mintage unc keys. any insight or advice would help out. thanks in advance. By the way savydon that 1908 st gaudens you have up on ebay looks awesome. I almost made an offer but didn't im sure ill be back soon.

savvydon

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I have managed to pick up the liberty subset(all proof) in the past few months for a lot less than what I thought id be able to . i also picked up an alice paul(also proof). Im in it for the very long haul. I am torn between trying to complete the set (proof) or go after lower mintage unc keys. any insight or advice would help out. thanks in advance. By the way savydon that 1908 st gaudens you have up on ebay looks awesome. I almost made an offer but didn't im sure ill be back soon.
Thanks, man. Please, before making an offer on ebay send me a PM here I check in pretty often. We can do a straight deal with no fees or a paypal deal for just a bit more if you feel the need for some external protection. I have some nice saints available for real cheap and I can beat the big online retailers on the Kennedy gold proof in NGC PF70 ER they are already in hand.

As to the spouses, I will say this - right now they can be had for very cheap. I think they are a fantastic deal right now. From a dealer stand point they are killing me but collector's should stand up and take note. I still collect one of every spouse in proof OGP. I believe one day the coin collecting community is going to wake up and realize that these coins represent incredible rarity.

Last edited:

hernancortes

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Not much to add to that except that Deweydog's scenario of a gold spike is much to be hoped for. Such would bring numerous low-mintage non-keys (Fillmore, Pierce, Polk, Grant, Harrison, etc. etc. etc.) to market to be melted. That would skew the populations beyond what any mintage chart would indicate. If you're in this for the very long haul you'll be fine if you buy them right. It's a good possibility the key has yet to be sold by the mint as a short-strike, not final sales, may well determine.

Solo

Midas Member
Midas Member
I am torn between trying to complete the set (proof) or go after lower mintage unc keys. any insight or advice would help out. thanks in advance.
Since you asked for advice here are my two cents:

I'd focus on finding the lower # minted MS coins for as close to melt as possible. Watch ebay auctions and place snipes on coins for some of the lower mintage past issues equal to or less than the original mint premium. Watch enough auctions and odds are you'll snag a few for just a bit over melt like this one:

Eliza-Johnson-Commemorative-Coin-with-OGP for less than $700

I'd also watch auctions for the '13 and '14 coins and try to find slabbed 70's either at or just a smidge over the mint premium like this one:
Ida-McKinley-First-Strike-Gold-First-Spouse-PCGS-MS70- for $50 over mint price

And be sure to look for '13 and '14 coins priced below the mint's current price:
Helen-Taft-Gold-First-Spouse- for $135ish less than the current mint price

Buying any of the 2013 or 2014 coins for melt plus a small markup is really a no-brainer IMO as I don't see any of those coins having very high mintages and it's quite possible one of them will be the new key since we're about to see more recent presidents finally so odds are mintages will start creeping up.

Lastly, if you attend the large mega shows you can find some of the common spouse coins (especially 2007s) for melt plus a tiny amount. Two years ago at the winter FUN show one dealer had over a half dozen spouses priced at melt plus $15 :). Deals like that don't come often so if you have deep enough pockets load up when you get the chance :D

Last edited:
savydon I will be in touch in December (bonus time for me)to look into the saints . until then I think im going to focus on spouses and pick off the proofs in ogp till the set is complete . ive always had bad luck picking what I thought would be winners . but I think SOLO is also on the right path picking up low mintage unc keys. thanks for the quick responses. what do you guys think about this years 1/2oz proof eagle as a potential winner ?

hernancortes

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
savydon I will be in touch in December (bonus time for me)to look into the saints . until then I think im going to focus on spouses and pick off the proofs in ogp till the set is complete . ive always had bad luck picking what I thought would be winners . but I think SOLO is also on the right path picking up low mintage unc keys. thanks for the quick responses. what do you guys think about this years 1/2oz proof eagle as a potential winner ?
Actually the '14 1/2 oz. unc (bullion) eagle has a better chance than the proof. The proof has already crossed 10,000 sales and has an unproven history in the series while the unc is on track to have its lowest sales since '90 and is in obviously quite a strong series. Besides the spread on the uncs are much lower.

tradeshack

Seeker
Seeker
Im in it for the very long haul. I am torn between trying to complete the set (proof) or go after lower mintage unc keys. any insight or advice would help out. thanks in advance.
The first spouse coins started in a much better economy with many consumers intent on collecting the whole series. It seemed then to be an ideal investment as it is an interesting collectable and was steadily increasing in value as gold continued to set new highs. Most have since seen their discretionary income fade and many of the early collections were released to market while gold continued to back off of its high.

The series will need another upward gold trend for it to have the popularity enjoyed the first few years. That will occur someday and when it does the most common coins may only increase a little more than the price of gold. The less common coins may excel though as collectors compete to own the few available.

I suggest you define your goals by determining why you wish to exchange your wealth for first spouse coins. If you must justify your collecting as 'investment' then, you may want to consider buying only the coins having the most investment potential. Some day the rarest ones may be exchanged for many common coins in the series.

THANKS FOR THE INPUT TRADESHACK. I WILL PASS MY COLLECTION ON TO THE KIDS WHEN I DIE. I DONT REALLY PAY ATTENTION TO THE DAILY UPS AND DOWNS OF THE MARKET. I TRY TO BUY THINGS THAT I LIKE WHILE AT THE SAME TIME TRYING TO FIND THINGS THAT MIGHT APPRICIATE MORE THAN OTHERS. ID BE A BUYER @ $100 GOLD AND ID BUY @ $10000 . BUT IN THE END I BELIEVE NO MATTER WHAT COINS I BUY THEY WILL BE WORTH MORE THAN WHAT THE DOLLAR WILL.

Deweydog

Seeker
Seeker
I would humbly suggest perhaps stimulating their interest before hand.

I was in the coin business for years, and bought many passed on collections from the dis-interested children. Seemed like it was the first thing they did after the funeral. I always joked to my wife, "The body was still warm"

I always told myself I would spend it, cash it, leave the sale proceeds to a good cause, or bury it with me...

I would humbly suggest perhaps stimulating their interest before hand.

I was in the coin business for years, and bought many passed on collections from the dis-interested children. Seemed like it was the first thing they did after the funeral. I always joked to my wife, "The body was still warm"

I always told myself I would spend it, cash it, leave the sale proceeds to a good cause, or bury it with me...
im doing my best to avoid that . I have 4 young ones and they have all been to the different coin shops in my area (I might bring them to their first coin show in sept in long beach). I usually let them pick out a morgan or peace dollar or some other junk silver . but on their birthdays I get them each a 1/10oz gold piece . the girls like the pandas and kangaroos & my boys get eagles. I try to keep it fun and hope that if I pound it into them at a young age they will take some of it in. the other thing I do is keep all paperwork/receipts and I have written down where to go and how to sell if they decide to do so. of course I hope they continue to build up the collection but who knows?

hernancortes

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
In looking at the very latest 8/25 xls spreadsheet from the mint, last week was maybe another record setter for "bad". Eight uncs were for sale and ---leaving out the Hoover since it just debuted eleven days ago --- out of those seven coins only 3 generated positive sales but the net sales across those 7 coins was -10. Hoover was terrible itelf only selling 55 in its 2nd week.

Solo

Midas Member
Midas Member
the girls like the pandas and kangaroos & my boys get eagles. I try to keep it fun and hope that if I pound it into them at a young age
I haven't been able to do this with my own children, but I have given quite a few vintage US 90% coins out at certain family functions, birthdays, etc. Definitely buy them pandas and eagles again next year as well, but if you look around I think you may be surprised to find other coins and bullion related items out there that they may be interested in. There are a ton of world coins out there in silver featuring different animals. Perhaps you could get them their favorite animal on a silver coin for Christmas this year :cool:. I'm quite envious that you get to share your collecting/obsession/bad habit with your immediate family as that's simply not something I've been able to do yet :\

In looking at the very latest 8/25 xls spreadsheet from the mint, last week was maybe another record setter for "bad". Eight uncs were for sale and ---leaving out the Hoover since it just debuted eleven days ago --- out of those seven coins only 3 generated positive sales but the net sales across those 7 coins was -10. Hoover was terrible itelf only selling 55 in its 2nd week.
While I think it's safe to say that the Roosevelt coin will sell more upon release than the others, given the recent sales of the other coins surely whomever is in charge at the mint is going to put in only a modest initial order for the Roosevelt coin, right? It may be wishful thinking, but it would be good for the series if one of the 2014 coins ends several hundred lower than the others and if it were Roosevelt it would be even better :cool:. Wishful thinking to be sure as it's quite likely they'll strike the same for all of them and sell them through 2015 as well. Meh, I'm still crossing my fingers and hoping whomever is paying attention to such things at the mint has noticed the anemic demand and short strikes the Roosevelt :p

tradeshack

Seeker
Seeker
Not a bad deal @ MCM especially with cash back through eBay.

2014-W Florence Harding PCGS MS70 First Strike....................................$919
2014-W Florence Harding PCGS PF70 DCAM First Strike.........................$949
2014-W Grace Coolidge PCGS MS70 First Strike......................................$919
2014-W Grace Coolidge PCGS PF70 DCAM First Strike...........................$979

Wire price is $891.98 for those two ms coins on their site.

Solo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Not a bad deal @ MCM...Wire price is $891.98 for those two ms coins on their site.
You simply can't beat that price if you're looking for Cadillac labeled spouse gold. It cost roughly $40 in grading fees just to slab the coin with the FS designation so by the time you pay shipping & insurance on the coin each way to PCGS, you'll spend more than you would have just buying direct from MCM without risking getting a 69 in the first place.

Last edited:

tradeshack

Seeker
Seeker
MCM lowered those prices another $20 this morning.

Mint State Harding and Coolidge is all that's described in the population report for 2014 First Spouse coins. Those two average 90% grade 70. With less collectors sending in their own submissions, a FS graded MS69 is becoming very rare.

hernancortes

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Hoover unc. is easily the worst selling coin in the series thus far. With nine coins currently on sale and the year drawing to a close new mintage lows are a strong possibility. Anyway the end really is near: mintnewsblog has posted the 2015 design candidates and at least two of the Jackie designs look very good... if they can pull it off on the actual coin it will look better than the current best-looker, Julia Tyler, in which case the coin will be quite a safe buy.
http://mintnewsblog.com/2014/09/2015-first-spouse-gold-coins-design-candidates/

hernancortes

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
For kicks check out unc spouse sales for the week 9-28-14 to 10-5-14:
mckinley --0 unc 1 PR
roosevelt---0 unc 0 PR
taft--- 0 unc 0 PR
Wilson I--- 0 unc 0 PR
Wilson II--- 0 unc 0 PR
Harding---7 unc 9 PR
Coolidge ---2 unc 11 PR
Hoover---7 unc 17 PR (STILL hasn't broken 1000 sales after two months on sale)
E Roosevelt---18 unc 38 PR (selling miserably even though way back when people speculated being a well-known spouse she'd sell OK)

Chester-Copperpot

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I'm guessing they will pull the 2013s way before the 2014 releases. Both the Wilson coins look like they will end up the lowest mintage if they are pulled sometime this year.

hernancortes

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I'm guessing they will pull the 2013s way before the 2014 releases. Both the Wilson coins look like they will end up the lowest mintage if they are pulled sometime this year.
They will probably do what they did last year -- offer the 2013 coins at an end of year Last Chance Sale and end sales Dec. 31st. Last year it failed to generate many sales, but this year all the coins are under the current key's mintage. I doubt dealers will notice or care since the series is dormant and hard core collectors have already got theirs. One of those coins will probably end up being the (temporary?) key once final mintages are known.

Last edited:

savvydon

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
They will probably do what they did last year -- offer the 2013 coins at an end of year Last Chance Sale and end sales Dec. 31st. Last year it failed to generate many sales, but this year all the coins are under the current key's mintage. I doubt dealers will notice or care since the series is dormant and hard core collectors have already got theirs. One of those coins will probably end up being the (temporary?) key once final mintages are known.
I'm certainly hoping for a rebound in gold over the next 10-12 weeks in the hopes that it will quell speculative year end buying of 2013 spouses. I wouldn't mind seeing a few new series lows.

hernancortes

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
http://www.numismaticnews.net/buzz/strike-gold-with-first-spouse-coins

When the Presidential dollar series ends with the Jerry Ford issue in 2016, the First Spouse gold coin program will end with it.
At that point, all of the coins issued from Martha Washington to Betty Ford will be a known quantity.
Collectors will be able to see which ones are the rare ones. They will know what the price of gold is and will be able to find a basic value resting on the bullion price.
It is the concept of rarity that will be put on a sliding scale. Absolute rarity is simply a number. A total of 2,000 is rarer than 20,000. No other information is needed.
However, if there are fewer than 2,000 active collectors who might want to purchase the coin with the 2,000 mintage, the low number hardly matters at all as there will be a surplus on the market. The coin will trade at a value based solely on bullion.
But will that outcome be the fate of the First Spouse coins?
Each one contains a half ounce of gold.
Gold is not cheap, nor is it likely to become cheap. The value of a half ounce of gold is $613 this morning.
That’s a high price point for most collectors.

more at link....

savvydon

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
http://www.numismaticnews.net/buzz/strike-gold-with-first-spouse-coins

When the Presidential dollar series ends with the Jerry Ford issue in 2016, the First Spouse gold coin program will end with it.
At that point, all of the coins issued from Martha Washington to Betty Ford will be a known quantity.
Collectors will be able to see which ones are the rare ones. They will know what the price of gold is and will be able to find a basic value resting on the bullion price.
It is the concept of rarity that will be put on a sliding scale. Absolute rarity is simply a number. A total of 2,000 is rarer than 20,000. No other information is needed.
However, if there are fewer than 2,000 active collectors who might want to purchase the coin with the 2,000 mintage, the low number hardly matters at all as there will be a surplus on the market. The coin will trade at a value based solely on bullion.
But will that outcome be the fate of the First Spouse coins?
Each one contains a half ounce of gold.
Gold is not cheap, nor is it likely to become cheap. The value of a half ounce of gold is $613 this morning.
That’s a high price point for most collectors.

more at link....
It's about time we got some first spouse buzz going. Personally I would like it if all stayed perfectly quiet until at least the end of the year when (presumably) the mint will take the fresh 2013 coin availability away and lock in ultra low mintages. I have a hard time imagining that sometime in the future the premium for these coins won't be big. Guess we will just have to wait and see...

hernancortes

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
It'll be quiet alright. Having the last chance sale coinciding with the holidays works against sales. These won't awaken til Jackie's about to come out but even then despite the mint tripling the maximum mintage I don't think she'll sell that well. Four to five thou of the uncs maybe?
Anyway I take issue with what Harper says in the above blog post:
"However, if there are fewer than 2,000 active collectors who might want to purchase the coin with the 2,000 mintage, the low number hardly matters at all as there will be a surplus on the market. The coin will trade at a value based solely on bullion".

No way, no how does a US gold coin with a 2,000 mintage trade based solely on bullion, unless you shoot yourself in the foot selling it in a hasty or desperate matter. If this were true I'd be able to lay in all kinds of low mintage 08 to 14 spouses for melt. Also where does he get the idea that there needs to be as many active collectors as there are target coins in order to drive the price up? All that matters is demand and market availability at that particular time! As if all 2000 of those coins will be on the market at once, at a given price? My numerous key date burnished plats are not on the market at anything less than ... a lot higher than they are now! There are supposedly over 30,000 1990 $25 gold eagles in existence, does that mean there needs to be at least 30,000 collectors of that series to make the price rise? Obviously not. They're high because very few hit the market, so it will be with key spouses.

Last edited:

Solo

Midas Member
Midas Member
It's about time we got some first spouse buzz going.
Actually I've been quite pleased by the lack of news and apathy regarding the hags as I'm hoping for a new key to surface while the rest of the world is sleeping :cool:. I just wish that there was a bit more separation among the 2013 unc's as it's looking like they could all end up around 1800 - 2000. If the coins continue to sell 0 to 10 or so a week each I suppose the Taft and Wilson coins may end the lowest, but at the same time those ordering in December may very well order those three since they're likely to still have lower sales numbers heading into the final weeks. I haven't tracked sales numbers for the end of the year last chance sales, but the SSB unc coin was looking like it would be a key heading into the close yet close to a thousand (IIRC) sold in those final days sending the total well past the Jackie coin. The reason I bring that up is because there's simply no way enough buyers step up to the plate to load up on all five of the '13 uncs to push all of them past Garfield and Hayes IMO so I think we're guaranteed to see a new key.

I know revised numbers will surface a year or two later, but I have a hard time believing we'll see a large enough adjustment to give us anything even close to resembling a deep key. Still, whatever 2013 coin does come in as the new #1 it will be an instant winner and any coin under 2000 should retain a premium to melt or possibly do better. On a related note I still feel that there's a good chance that they short struck some or all of the 2014 coins due to poor 2013 sales at the time and given their poor sales since, I doubt they have struck more so whatever is on hand at the end of the year is it. As such I bet there's a very real chance we may be surprised at some point in 2015 by one or more of the '14 spouse coins going dark (fingers crossed :p).

Lastly, I was just browsing Apmex spouse coins for the first time in many moons and noticed two interesting things:

1) They're selling a complete 2007 - 2011 set (pr & ms) for $32,000.00 **I wonder if they put this set together or bought it from someone as is.

and

2) They're selling raw Lucy Hayes coins for more than Garfield coins even though Garfield came in 18 coins lower and is the current key ($1,449.00 vs $1,395.00)

hernancortes

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
The current key's (garfield unc) final audited mintage is 2168.
Current sales as of Nov. 30
Ida McKinley Unc (2013) 1,910
Edith Roosevelt Unc (2013) 1,905
Helen Taft Unc (2013) 1,789
Ellen Wilson Unc (2013) 1,741
Edith Wilson Unc (2013) 1,746

As noted in the post above, Spouses are going to have to sell far better than they did last December to prevent a new key.

savvydon

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Do you think there is any chance we will see the sales of 2013 coins extend into 2015?

hernancortes

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Savvydon,
I would've expected an announcement of a Last Chance Sale by now. Surely they want to be rid of these as they've all been on sale for a year or more.
Current sales as of Dec. 7
Ida McKinley Unc (2013) 1,913 +3
Edith Roosevelt Unc (2013) 1,911 +6
Helen Taft Unc (2013) 1,796 +7
Ellen Wilson Unc (2013) 1,745 +4
Edith Wilson Unc (2013) 1,759 +13