• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

First Start-to-Finish Autonomous Truck Delivery

edsl48

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Between the minimum wage hikes and driver-less trucks things do not look good on the future employment horizon

Loadsmart and Starsky Make First Start-to-Finish Autonomous Truck Delivery

Loadsmart and Starsky make first fully-autonomous truck delivery from start to finish.
TruckingInfo reports Loadsmart and Starsky Robotics Make First-Ever Digital Freight Delivery Via Autonomous Truck
According to the two companies, the integration of Loadsmart's AI-powered pricing and load matching technology with Starsky's API meant no human intervention was required. The historic initiative is part of a larger strategic partnership which paves the way for the future of trucking: autonomous brokerages dispatching freight to autonomous trucks without human involvement.​
Loadsmart said it was able to connect its network of customers with Starsky's fleet of regular and self-driving trucks by integrating Loadsmart's Automated Dispatch API with Starsky's Hutch API.​
As a result of the partnership, Starsky is able to dispatch its trucks automatically without human intervention, while Loadsmart can expand its ability to automate the shipping process from quoting to booking to delivery to help its clients move more with less.​
"For the first time ever, the advances that seem obvious for the ride-sharing services are coming to trucking," said Stefan Seltz-Axmacher, CEO and founder of Starsky Robotics. "It's not uncommon for a traditional trucking company to have five full-time employees involved in dispatching each truck for each load. By integrating e-brokers like Loadsmart, we are eliminating all back office human intervention and making the shipment process seamless, while focusing on ensuring the safety of driverless trucks. With Starsky's Hutch API, which was also announced today, we will be able to autonomously dispatch autonomous loads on a regular basis."​

Delivery Details
Trucks.Com has additional details on the delivery.
Digital freight broker Loadsmart and self-driving truck developer Starsky Robotics completed what they say is the first autonomous dispatch and delivery of freight. The team paired in late July to book and deliver a load of corn in Texas with minimal human involvement.​
Loadsmart digitally priced, tendered and booked the shipment. A Starsky self-driving truck picked up and delivered the raw corn to a customer in Grand Prairie, Texas.​
Such partnerships are likely to expand as freight and logistics becomes increasingly digital, said Cathy Morrow Roberson of Atlanta-based Logistics Trends & Insights.​
Eventually I see the marriage between digital freight brokerages and autonomous trucks,” Roberson said. “It makes sense from an efficiency and timing perspective. And it could be beneficial as the trucking market continues to struggle with attracting and retaining drivers.”​
Mass Adoption
There are two things holding up mass adoption.
  1. National Regulation
  2. More Testing
Requirement two is proceeding nicely.
Starsky plans to begin commercialization next month. To find potential problems an autonomous fleet might face, the company has a 6-person team operating a 40-truck fleet.​
“We want to triple the size of that fleet by the end of the year, but we don’t want to triple the size of our operations team,” Seltz-Axmacher said.​
He plans to build 25 autonomous trucks by the end of this year. To limit human involvement, Starsky intends to use its proprietary application programming interface, or API, to dispatch the trucks for tests.​
“What we are doing is creating an API that brokers can use to negotiate for additional capacity and then hire that capacity without anybody talking to anyone else,” Seltz-Axmacher said.​
Intense Competition
Competition in this space is intense. I have lost track of the number of competing in this space. It includes all the major car manufacturers, Waymo (Google), Otto, Loadsmart, Starsky, Amazon, Uber, and Lyft.

That's what guarantees success, sooner rather that later, despite the poor current technology of Uber.
Robertson gets it correct with her assessment "Autonomous trucks will become more the norm than the exception.”
Inner-city truck deliveries will still require drivers, for a period of time, but rural deliveries like the one above and hub-to-hub interstate deliveries by autonomous truck will soon be standard.
100 Pigs Die
On July 19, an Overturned Semitruck Closed a Freeway Ramp in Louisville. On July 17, More than 100 Pigs Die After Truck Overturns on I-65 Ramp at Spaghetti Junction near Louisville.
Benefits
  • Accident rates will plunge. Nearly all truck accidents are driver error.
  • Insurance rates will drop.
  • The cost of the driver will be eliminated. No more union dues.
  • Trucks can drive 24-7. They do not have to sleep.
The benefits are overwhelming. Tremendous benefits coupled with intense competition ensures success. Within a year or two of national regulator approval, autonomous semi-truck deliveries will be the norm.
Mike "Mish" Shedlock

Strawboss

Home Improvement Sales Trainee...
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Millions and millions of jobs are gonna be eliminated by automation in all its various forms...

Not just minimum wage jobs. Millions of high paying jobs in the back offices of banks, insurance companies and healthcare organizations. Truck drivers, factory workers, doctors, surgeons, and even software programmers...

Think of all the mortgages, car loans, student loans, etc...all these people represent.
Think of the financial repercussions as these tens of millions of jobs disappear...
Its gonna crash the system.

Buck

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Accident rates will plunge. Nearly all truck accidents are driver error.

f'n liars, this has been proven to be just the opposite with the Tesla cars catching fire all the time and just think

A 40 ton truck, with a distracted driver at the wheel will wipe out a mini-van, a small coup, a large pickup and the front end of a grocery store...and no one will be to blame

Oh Joy

Buck

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Millions and millions of jobs are gonna be eliminated by automation in all its various forms...

Not just minimum wage jobs. Millions of high paying jobs in the back offices of banks, insurance companies and healthcare organizations. Truck drivers, factory workers, doctors, surgeons, and even software programmers...

Think of all the mortgages, car loans, student loans, etc...all these people represent.
Think of the financial repercussions as these tens of millions of jobs disappear...
Its gonna crash the system.
gonna go snarky

You worry too much

All the investments that have been put into this system far outweigh the paycheck that all these drivers will no longer take home

i ain't believing this, just figuring out what the other side would say if presented with what you posted

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Personal injury lawyers are warming up.
Damn near everything I am exposed to that has a computer in it is on the fritz sooner or later.
I currently have a $1200. dishwasher 3 year old that is on the fritz.
at least it isn't 40,000lbs heading down the highway.
I had 3 triaxles of stone delivered & spread on my lane a few weeks ago.
Because the dispatcher couldn't be bothered to write down my instructions, the driver followed google maps & ended up backing up someone elses up hill drive around tight corners.... only 1/4 miles off from my place.

Usury

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Yep these millennials that have so much faith in AI are totally unaware how ignorant they are. The programming can’t account for all situations and it will also fail. Then who do we sue as the manufacture points to the hardware vendors who point to the software vendors who point to the owners insurance who points back to the manufacture defect.

Mujahideen

Black Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Can the AI tell when a lane is closed or speed limit drops due to construction or an emergency?

This could potentially work at least in theory going from distributor to distributor but only if the roads are also integrated.

Who is gonna put fuel into the trucks? What happens when the sensors get dirty? What if there is a detour or the road is closed and you have to park?

I’m not worried, I think there is about another 15 years or so before the industry is done.

Once truckers are gone, so will the restaurants and stores that serve them. The economy will take a big hit.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
going to need roads just for trucks to travel kind of like trains...

Trains never hit people in cars... it's the cars that hit the trains!

AI should make transportation costs plummet ... right?? Hello?

Strawboss

Home Improvement Sales Trainee...
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
gonna go snarky

You worry too much

All the investments that have been put into this system far outweigh the paycheck that all these drivers will no longer take home

i ain't believing this, just figuring out what the other side would say if presented with what you posted
They cant possibly refute it. Even the worn out responses such as "new jobs will be created fixing the robots" is lame and they know it.

This is why there is discussion around universal basic income. They know this is coming and there is nothing that is gonna stop it. NOTHING.

The plain reality is that our current societal/financial order will not survive this wave of automation. Its gonna take everything down with it...

The 4th turning...

Mujahideen

Black Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Less people earning money equals less people paying taxes... and we are at record high debt.

Buck

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
and

It's all been planned for longer than the oldest of us have been alive

At certain points, in any program, there is a time where the secrecy and hidden aspects begin to come into view...we're also beyond that point in time

We Know Who They Are

and, i think it's another one of those points in time where:
Some People Will Do Something

i'm just not sure who...

Buck

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter

Buck

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
"GM's restructuring, which the company claims will free up $6 billion in cash flow by 2021 "

there's lots of interesting angles of disclosure in these articles...do a search, there's plenty to choose from

ZZZZZ

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
What happens when it rains and snows and the roads ice over?

It will be traffic jams of Biblical Proportion as the AI stops and figures out what to do.

Buck

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
and no-go's on cold mornings is unacceptable

and to think, the same battery technology is being installed in houses across the country

just wait for the conflagrations to begin...they will

Mujahideen

Black Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter

It will be traffic jams of Biblical Proportion as the AI stops and figures out what to do.
I should have taken a picture of what my semi looked like 2 weeks ago. The front was completely covered in a layer of decapitated bugs.

My radar sensors for cruise control/auto brakes and lane departure warning system don’t work unless they are clean. In the winter that salt will dirty up everything too. There will be trucks blocking lanes because they got dirty and the sensors don’t work.

Usury

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
I should have taken a picture of what my semi looked like 2 weeks ago. The front was completely covered in a layer of decapitated bugs.

My radar sensors for cruise control/auto brakes and lane departure warning system don’t work unless they are clean. In the winter that salt will dirty up everything too. There will be trucks blocking lanes because they got dirty and the sensors don’t work.
Or they’ll just run into something.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Look folks, all this self driving car/truck fuckery is cute but it's not going to happen. Robots and humans do not mix.
When humans work around robots the robots are in locked cages by law.

On the road there can be all humans or all robots. Not both unless the robots have their own roads totally isolated from human access.

:meditation:

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
Won't be any gaper's block when a car is pulled over to the side of the road because it ran out of gas...

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
This is my industry and it will not happen in my lifetime. No way. Too many variables that cannot be accountable. Not to mention a pre-trip inspection is mandatory before every haul. What if there is a retread blowout? Good effing luck with that.

Buck

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
This is my industry and it will not happen in my lifetime. No way. Too many variables that cannot be accountable. Not to mention a pre-trip inspection is mandatory before every haul. What if there is a retread blowout? Good effing luck with that.
I once thought that way also however, I've noticed that 'relevance" is irrelevant...the more money that can be wasted on a project that will never work, the better

Trucking is a disaster today as compared to 30 years ago, a complete disaster and it will eventually fail unless the laws that guide it are changed, as in yesterday

the damage has been done, all the cowboys that have left the industry because it's too expensive to be a cowboy anymore, they will not come back into the industry and their leaving has left it with nothing but 'stepford drivers' run by Union Laws and State and Fed Laws...it's doomed

It's a Necessity but it's no longer set up for success, it's set up for power and control...

You have heard about the $160 per hour shop mechanics and don't mention the cost of a road call, etc...it ain't pretty

Mr Paradise

Midas Member
Midas Member
Truckers ain’t go anywhere anytime soon.

When technology gets rid of airline pilots, garbage truck guys, train engineers, ship captains, taxi drivers & pizza delivery guys then I’ll worry about AI hot boxing containers in and out of the chicago railyards better than me.

It’s coming don’t get me wrong but it’ll be decades before truckers are on the bread lines.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
about the time your car just "pulls over and stops" and you need a road service on sunday afternoon.......

havin t call olde dave!

350, minimum. plus mileage!

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter

Solar roadways! Lol

Self cleaning lens?

The programming can’t account for all situations and it will also fail.
Same applies to human drivers.

At least with automation, when there is a new situation that comes up, the program can tweaked and corrected so that no other car has a negative outcome in that particular situation.
Ie: every car on the road will "learn" from all previous incidents.

As it stands now, each individual driver must learn, typically by experiencing an event first hand.
Ie: would be more negative incidents that repeat over and over as new drivers experience particular conditions that can lead to negative outcomes.

Usury

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
No Joe. A PC cannot learn. It can only be programmed. It cannot make a judgment call in a new situation. Unless it’s programmed for a particular scenario it will either freeze or stop.

Mujahideen

Black Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter

Mr Paradise

Midas Member
Midas Member
Let’s see how that self cleaning lens does in -30 degree weather or when there’s so much salt on the road it cakes up 1/4 inch thick. I’m still waiting for them to master the windshield wiper in those conditions.

Here in Chicago those anti collision sensors are always picking up 13’ 7 bridges as potential danger.

I’ve seen more than one Swift or Schneider truck come to a Hollywood movie dead stop on the Dan Ryan because his computer told his brakes he was about to crash into something.
10 seconds later a half a dozen people are hurt and calling the billboard attorney and the poor driver is in the sleeper changing his underwear.
Wake me when pizza delivery guys are out of work then I may start to slightly worry until then I’ll keep pushing 40 tons down the interstate right behind your wives and daughters in their mini coopers.

Last edited:

oldgaranddad

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
I still don't see this being viable with the existing technology.

If they can't get freight rail roads to automate where they have a dedicated right of way, automatic steering, central traffic control, what makes them think that they are going to get trucks fully automated.

The DC metro crash at Shady Grove was a prime example of an automated system that failed due to deferred maintenance. Can you imagine a road full of automated trucks that have been neglected because some bean counter wanted to squeeze a few more cents out of the bottom line? Even a blind man can see this fiasco coming.

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
No Joe. A PC cannot learn. It can only be programmed. It cannot make a judgment call in a new situation. Unless it’s programmed for a particular scenario it will either freeze or stop.
That is why I put "learn" in quotes. I realize it's programming.
The point was that once a car is in a particular situation that requires new programming, all cars would be uploaded with the new programming that would allow all other cars to be able to then safely avoid that particular situation.

We all know of places on the road where more accidents happen than in other places. As it stands now, each driver has to individually learn about those spots and how to handle them. With a self driving car, once a car is found to need updated programming for that particular situation, all cars can be updated at the same time so that no one else ever has a crash due to that particular situation.

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter

AgBar

Commodore
Gold Chaser
How many construction zones did it drive through?

I was in Dayton a few years ago in a rental car that had the automatic lane correction nonsense: the kind that would actually try to take control of the car rather than just alert the driver.

Damn thing tried to drive me into a concrete barrier at 50 mph when I went through a construction area on the highway.

Buck

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
It'll be just like maximum overdrive.

got any cheese with that?

LOL

that was one of the lamest shows I've ever watched a few times

going to go back to watch the 'best part'

LOL
:dduck:

Buck

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
all those companies gone, all that steel shipped out to china, all those delusions of artificial intelligence even being remotely as good as I am is just pure crap...

wait till I fist fight one of these things just to get my cent back out of the register...i swear to god i'll do it and i'll steal the camera on the way out

LOL

let it chase me

piece of crap

:monster 3:

but those trucks were cool, reminds me of money