• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

First timer wants to buy some stocks school me please

mtnman

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I've never bought stocks. I want to buy some marijuana company stocks. I'm looking at Cronos Group. I want to spend a thousand dollars. Any words of wisdom here? Where do I start.

davycoppitt

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Currently I only own Emblem. Holding hopeing for a buyout. Trading Canadian MJ stocks increased my trading and retirement accounts by 800% in 2017. Got out and haven't really looked at them much since. Personal opinion is the big money had already been made.

Now when the US legalizes that will be a different story. I am waiting for that and then hope to retire after. I buy early and play pure hype.

Traded Colorado legalization, made more money than a 20 something year old should ever have, was young and stupid and lost everything. Learned from my mistakes and Canadian MJ stocks helped make life a little easier. Now just waiting for the US.

Don't get me wrong there are still deals out there, just I believe the easy money has been made.

Here is the investing in Marijuana thread that started way back when Colorado was just legalizing.

https://www.goldismoney2.com/threads/investing-in-marijuana.58103/page-29

Last edited:

mtnman

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Currently I only own Emblem. Holding hopeing for a buyout. Trading Canadian MJ stocks increased my trading and retirement accounts by 800% in 2017. Got out and haven't really looked at them much since. Personal opinion is the big money had already been made.

Now when the US legalizes that will be a different story. I am waiting for that and then hope to retire after. I buy early and play pure hype.

Traded Colorado legalization, made more money than a 20 something year old should ever have, was young and stupid and lost everything. Learned from my mistakes and Canadian MJ stocks helped make life a little easier. Now just waiting for the US.

Don't get me wrong there are still deals out there, just I believe the easy money has been made.

Here is the investing in Marijuana thread that started way back when Colorado was just legalizing.

https://www.goldismoney2.com/threads/investing-in-marijuana.58103/page-29
Legalization is why I'm interested. Next week President Trump will sign on legalization of Hemp (fiber, oil and CBDs). It's cousin will be soon.

mtnman

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Buy 19 shares of MO (1k) which is yielding almost 6% and currently at/near it’s 52 week low.
I'm a newbie. Could you be more specific? Like who is MO? I answered my own question. Altria a big tobacco company that has invested in Cronos.

mtnman

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
As a newbe I need to learn how to buy. Point me at a broker? This is all brand new to me.

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
I went to Scott Trade first but they were a pain in the ass to join, and wanted info that was a pain in the ass to get to them so I tried Ameritrade. Like you, I'm a complete novice.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
MO = Altria. Altria was previously known as Phillip Morris.

davycoppitt

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
I went to Scott Trade first but they were a pain in the ass to join, and wanted info that was a pain in the ass to get to them so I tried Ameritrade. Like you, I'm a complete novice.
Ameritrade just bought scottrade about a year ago. I have ameritrade and Etrade and like ameritrade much better.

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Ameritrade just bought scottrade about a year ago. I have ameritrade and Etrade and like ameritrade much better.

I think that the broker name is now TD Ameritrade. Yeah they did buy Scottrade last year. I liked Scottrade when I had an account with them. Scottrade was easy to use.

davycoppitt

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Legalization is why I'm interested. Next week President Trump will sign on legalization of Hemp (fiber, oil and CBDs). It's cousin will be soon.
Completely agree that it is comeing here and probably sooner than we think. Good reminder that I need to get my ducks in a row. Not yet sure how/when I will be playing it.

The past few years there has been a nice little pop the first of the year.

Damn now you got me all excited again.

I also feel that ACB (aurora) could be next in line for a big deal/buy out.

Last edited:

madhu

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Wall Street is a gamblers paradise. When you buy a stock long, you are hoping that the company in fact makes money, not rolling over debt! And that the company rewards its shareholders without lying or accounting tricks. Because the fiat dollar has no intrinsic value one needs to spend more dollars to make one dollar of productive value. That means the company is a loosing proposition till it gains market share and name recognition. If the company survives that you can expect some return. If you short the stock, you might loose your shirt and some.
Just enjoy it by spending that grand on yourself and your loved one.
If you need some more reviews go to yahoo finance board and read the conversations on General Electric, GE
And micron, MU. Enough said

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
TD Ameritrade bought Scott.

I had Scottrade.

Discount brokers don’t give advice. Set up an account, fund it, do your own research, buy shares. Typically share puchases cost @ $7 per transaction each way. (Called a ‘round trip’)

Full Brokers offer “advice” for a fee. Same thing above, but transactions cost $25 each?? Been awhile....that coulda change?

You can set up an account.

There are different types of accounts.

“Regular” account fund and buy.

“Margin” accounts front you money (debt) you can borrow (oh joy). You fund these as well.

IRA accounts and all their iterations.

All the above have “tools” on their portals, charts, history, news, etc.

Probably more, but that’s a start.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
Research... might consider the parent companies as well??

Altria's $1.8 Billion Bet On Cronos Is Both Risky And Expensive

Summary
Altria announced an investment of $1.8 billion to acquire 45% of Canadian cannabis company Cronos at C$16.25 per share.

The deal also included warrants that would allow Altria to acquire an additional 10% stake at a price of C$19.00 per share.

Cronos management did a great job to negotiate this deal but we struggle to understand why Altria picked Cronos versus its competitors.

Altria bought into one of the most expensive cannabis stocks and received one of the least attractive asset profiles in Canada and abroad.

Cronos (CRON) became the second cannabis company to receive a major equity investment from a tobacco/alcohol giant. Altria (MO), the owner of Marlboro, announced a $1.8 billion investment in the Canadian cannabis company last Friday, just a few months after Constellation (STZ) invested $4 billion in Canopy (OTC:CGC). The news broke out on the Friday of a week that was being roiled by the Aphria's (OTC:APHA) short report that set off a sector-wide selloff. However, we remain suspicious of the merits of this deal and we think Altria has placed a risky bet as it enters the cannabis sector in a major way. We have long been critical of Cronos and our fundamental view on the company remains the same. We are upgrading Cronos to Neutral on the basis that the transaction and resulting cash balance will provide Cronos with unparalleled access to domestic and international growth opportunities.

Altria's Investment

On Friday, the tobacco giant Altria announced that it is acquiring 45% of Cronos for $1.8 billion dollars at a price of C$16.25 per share. The deal also included warrants for Altria to acquire an additional 10% at C$19.00. It is important to know that media already reported on the talk between Cronos and Altria on Monday. Cronos shares rose 10.7% on the news on Monday and the shares continued to climb and ended the week 39.8% higher. We would think that the premium that Altria paid was more in the 40% range.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4228324-altrias-1_8-billion-bet-cronos-risky-expensive

Curtman

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Yea ameritrade took over Scott so I defaulted over. Tue platform to not as easy but I am finding it much deeper so you get what you pay for Right? Ill run it for now but as I get use to it will finally get content The board here is another matter.
Thanks and good to see you.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
TD Ameritrade bought Scott.

I had Scottrade.

Discount brokers don’t give advice. Set up an account, fund it, do your own research, buy shares. Typically share puchases cost @ $7 per transaction each way. (Called a ‘round trip’)

Full Brokers offer “advice” for a fee. Same thing above, but transactions cost $25 each?? Been awhile....that coulda change?

You can set up an account.

There are different types of accounts.

“Regular” account fund and buy.

“Margin” accounts front you money (debt) you can borrow (oh joy). You fund these as well.

IRA accounts and all their iterations.

All the above have “tools” on their portals, charts, history, news, etc.

Probably more, but that’s a start.
added info......on TD Ameritrade you can buy and sell from your account directly from the online site

also at least in our local city within driving distance they have a actual office that can set up a account and take in funds

i am a scottrader that got merged into TD

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Same here.
But I do find Ameritrade easier to communicate with when I do have a question or a liquidation.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
mtnman here's a couple charts to look at from the article I posted.

I'm no charting expert. There are folks here run rings around me, but I'll point you in the right direction... feel free to add...

You also want to look at financials of each company. Debt loads, assets, etc. You will find this info at any online brokerage you sign up with.

MO used to be Phillip Morris... tobacco. Notice the volume. I look for a consistent volume above 200K. Why?
Liquidity - So you can sell it when you want to. Low volume means no buyers/sellers.

Next is Yield and P/E ratio. If it pays a yield that's a good thing.
P/E is price over earnings. Invest $1 and it will take 9.3 years to get that dollar back. (I think I worded that correctly?)
9.3 is quite good actually, there are some that are over 100! Some have no P/E!

Price. Anything under $5 is considered a penny stock.
The red 'support' line. Ideally it touches at least 3 points over time.
This is a 10yr chart. It is sitting on support at this moment. It could drop through support, but because there are so many 'points' it touches in the past, probabilities are that it will continue up. There's always a risk. Some say wait to see if it 'tests' support by bouncing off it 3 times. A shorter term chart will show that detail. In this market... who knows what will happen?

If it falls through support it means a new trend. The green resistance line above the recent downward bit connecting the tops is the 'new' path it will take. The new green 'support' line points to the "probable" new path.

Screen Shot 2018-12-14 at 11.40.14 PM.png

CRON is mentioned above.

Good volume.
No Yield and No P/E (danger will robinson!!) This stock isn't but 2.5 yrs old!
This is a 3 yr chart.
Support - it's touched it 3x in this time frame.
I wouldn't buy until it touches the support line @ $8/share. Probabilities are it will test support.
Risky at best.

Screen Shot 2018-12-14 at 11.41.41 PM.png

STZ

Good Volume
Pays a Yield and a respectable P/E ratio
Problem on this 10 yr chart is it just broke through long term support #2.
Longer term support #1 line only has 2 points. Chances are it will bounce off #1?
That it broke through #2 makes me wonder why? Without more info it's hard to tell. Debt load? Assets? Recent bad news?

Put all that together and you can make an informed decision instead of a 'guess'.
Unless you got lots of money to burn and don't care...?

Screen Shot 2018-12-14 at 11.40.45 PM.png

As I said, I am NO expert. These are just a few of the things I look at to decide.

For me, MO is the best shot based upon the fundamentals. It's also tobacco. Addictive as hell.
That said, I would wait for confirmation it bounces off support and continues up the support line before buying.
Should be a week maybe three?

The other two are a risk IMO.

The Pot play is interesting. It's new fangled. Too new for me just yet.

There is a pot thread floating around here somewhere from a few years back. Lots of intel there. Maybe someone has it saved, or you can search it?

An aside... folks I know are out of the market because they expect it to tank. I'm out as well.
Debt is outrageous. There are more reasons to sit out than there are to get in.

Cash is a position.

Curtman

Silver Member
Silver Miner
I had a private thread on this with some other members. I would love to put a link to that here for further input and benefit of all. problem is I cant locate the the thread now.
MT man in the future it would be better to post in the stocks thread than out in the gallery.
In an effort to improve GIM's board it has become difficult for me. Again a new learning curve.
Any case still, WAIT. You cant butcher a hog before you bleed it out.
Be Well

mtnman

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Well it's started. I have an Ameritrade account....

mtnman

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I had a private thread on this with some other members. I would love to put a link to that here for further input and benefit of all. problem is I cant locate the the thread now.
MT man in the future it would be better to post in the stocks thread than out in the gallery.
In an effort to improve GIM's board it has become difficult for me. Again a new learning curve.
Be Well
Was that thread pertaining to Pot stocks? That's all I'm interested in at this time.

Curtman

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Be Well
by the way I call it Price to Earnings P/E

madhu

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Yes I invested in TRTC, TERRA TECHNOLOGY, another weed stock. Lost 2/3 reds of value
Gold hedge
STZ AND MO may be good shorts?

Strawboss

America...Love it...or GTFO
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
The new farm bill will allow farmers to grow "hemp". Pricing is a function of supply and demand. Of course farmers will often have some "MJ" mixed in with the hemp. Off the books of course. Supply will skyrocket. Price per pound will decrease.

The money may be in the companies that provide end products like edibles and oils, vape pens and the like...as mentioned - its still a new market and lots of unknowns... a focus on CBD suppliers might be best play?

Last edited:

madhu

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Once pot is legalized, there is a oversupply and price goes down. In fact the Mafia and govt both get to hugely benifit when something is illegal.

mtnman

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
The new farm bill will allow farmers to grow "hemp". Pricing is a function of supply and demand. Of course farmers will often have some "MJ" mixed in with the hemp. Off the books of course. Supply will skyrocket. Price per pound will decrease.

The money may be in the companies that provide end products like edibles and oils, vape pens and the like...as mentioned - its still a new market and lots of unknowns... a focus on CBD suppliers might be best play?
Nope, ya can't grow Pot and hemp together. The hemp will fertilize the pot and the buds will turn to seed. Now it's all hemp. To grow pot you kill the males so you don't get seed. Seed is a major part of hemp growing.

mtnman

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Once pot is legalized, there is a oversupply and price goes down. In fact the Mafia and govt both get to hugely benifit when something is illegal.
The price of legal bud in California is about the same as illegal bud prices in Tennessee.

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
https://cannabisnow.com/report-colorado-oregon-marijuana-prices-plummet-by-50-percent/

Report: Colorado, Oregon Marijuana Prices Plummet by 50 Percent

Good news for consumers, not so much for producers.

By
Chris Roberts
Published on August 10, 2018

When Jim Parco opened Mesa Organics, a recreational cannabis retail outlet in Pueblo, Colorado, in January 2016, an ounce of marijuana ran about $300.

Now, Parco recently told KRDO, the shop — one of about 30 in a city of 100,000 people — is “selling $60 ounces all day long.”

And Parco’s experience is being repeated across the state. In Colorado, since 2015, marijuana prices on average have dropped by 50 percent, according to a new study released last week.

Prices have also dropped by half in Oregon, according to the study, but for different reasons.

In Oregon, which legalized recreational marijuana in 2014, two years after Colorado, producers are flooding the market with cannabis, much of which is going unsold — with the rest sold at discount prices.

In Colorado, officials say that producers are putting a Goldilocks “just-right” amount of cannabis out for sale — though, as Parco observed, the price drop is still hurting marijuana producers more than anyone else on the supply chain.

Researchers from the University of Colorado at Boulder’s business school and analysts from a New Frontier Data, a Denver consulting firm, used state data to track prices.

Both states require all cannabis entering the market to be tagged and monitoring in a “track-and-trace” system.

In other states like Oregon, consumers are also seeing much lower asking prices at the retail level in large part because of epic oversupply, with far more cultivators growing far more cannabis for which there is demand.

Though the steep drop in prices since Colorado’s era of recreational marijuana sales began in January 2014 also reflects readily available marijuana on the market, state officials say that the study proves Colorado cannabis producers aren’t quite overdoing it like they are in Oregon.

There were 32 metric tons of marijuana left over in Colorado’s track-and-trace system at the end of 2017, according to the study. In Oregon earlier this year, there was 1 million unsold pounds of cannabis in its inventory.

“What the report demonstrates to us is that our licensed operators are operating responsibly,” Mike Hartman, executive director of the Colorado Department of Revenue, which oversees marijuana regulation, told the Associated Press in an interview. “They’re not overproducing the amount of product they’re putting in the marketplace. They are operating to maximize product but also emphasizing public health and safety.”

In Colorado, the price of a pound of cannabis at wholesale has dipped from $2,400 to about $500, according to Mesa Organics’ Parco. Despite this, Parco, who is also a professor of economics at Colorado College, says that his dispensary is profitable.

This is in part thanks to a moratorium on new retail outlets in Pueblo.

“Had they not put it into effect and we had more people come into the market, at some point flower would sell so inexpensively that no one could make any money,” he told KRDO.

His suppliers, however, are having a difficult time.

“Farmers are always the ones taking it in the shorts,” he said.

madhu

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Mendocino county in California produces enough weed for everyone in this country and more. You have to dump the extra produce in the pacific ocean to maintain a semblance of price

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Im thinking of going back into some mj stocks too , seems like the whole country is going to legalize it

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
*1 The new farm bill will allow farmers to grow "hemp". Pricing is a function of supply and demand. *2 Of course farmers will often have some "MJ" mixed in with the hemp. Off the books of course. Supply will skyrocket. Price per pound will decrease.

1) Farmers allowed to grow hemp is what I have wanted to see my entire life, hemp is everything from diesel fuel to plastic to clothes and it can grow in damn near any soil. I do not give one shit about dope. Dope is legal in Michigan now so if that helps folks buy dope stocks then cool beans.

2) Fields of hemp will contaminate outdoor dope crops and over time degrade most dope to hemp. Hemp has no drug in it but it will pollinate dope plants when hemp pollen is thick in the air. Like goldfish to carp after dope is fertilized by hemp a few times it will all be hemp. I don't doubt that that is intentional to counter the allure of legal dope.

Bonus! . .
thumbsup.gif

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
In Colorado, the price of a pound of cannabis at wholesale has dipped from $2,400 to about $500.
I'll take 24 pounds please!

mtnman

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
1) Farmers allowed to grow hemp is what I have wanted to see my entire life, hemp is everything from diesel fuel to plastic to clothes and it can grow in damn near any soil. I do not give one shit about dope. Dope is legal in Michigan now so if that helps folks buy dope stocks then cool beans.

2) Fields of hemp will contaminate outdoor dope crops and over time degrade most dope to hemp. Hemp has no drug in it but it will pollinate dope plants when hemp pollen is thick in the air. Like goldfish to carp after dope is fertilized by hemp a few times it will all be hemp. I don't doubt that that is intentional to counter the allure of legal dope.

Bonus! . . View attachment 119110
YES! the money in Pot is building materials! Plywood, insulation, concrete, paper, all made from hemp. Hemp that grows 20 times faster than trees and grows almost anywhere.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
There are inexpensive ways to grow pot outdoors without it being pollinated by hemp. Hemp pollen is only present for a few months a year (august sept, and oct). Leave it to stoners to figure out, its been done.

Sorry to shit on yer parade irons, just sayin'.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
There are inexpensive ways to grow pot outdoors without it being pollinated by hemp. Hemp pollen is only present for a few months a year (august sept, and oct). Leave it to stoners to figure out, its been done.

Sorry to shit on yer parade irons, just sayin'.
Nothing to shit on I voted to legalize it here, but it's not like my life will change at all.
I'll be spending as much money on dope as I spent on it in the last 25 years. Which is zero.