• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

First timer wants to buy some stocks school me please

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
I had a private thread on this with some other members. I would love to put a link to that here for further input and benefit of all. problem is I cant locate the the thread now.
MT man in the future it would be better to post in the stocks thread than out in the gallery.
In an effort to improve GIM's board it has become difficult for me. Again a new learning curve.
Any case still, WAIT. You cant butcher a hog before you bleed it out.
Be Well
I can merge the two threads, but it looks like it’s been removed?

mtnman

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
There are inexpensive ways to grow pot outdoors without it being pollinated by hemp. Hemp pollen is only present for a few months a year (august sept, and oct). Leave it to stoners to figure out, its been done.

Sorry to shit on yer parade irons, just sayin'.
In a lot of the US you can get two grows of hemp a year. That would double the time pollen is in the air.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
by the way I call it Price to Earnings P/E
Correct you are! Like I said ... there are folks who can run rings around me charting...!

I corrected my error...thanks!

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
In a lot of the US you can get two grows of hemp a year. That would double the time pollen is in the air.
What areas would these be? Areas with no winter freezing weather? All the hemp varieties im aware of are photo period sensitive. I suppose it could be done in areas like cali and florida, but wonder if farmers would make the effort/take the risk for a small second winter crop. These winter plants would surely go into flower at a very small size and produce a small yield.

With that said, there are physical barriers that can be used to exclude pollen from enclosed (greenhouse) grows. They have been doing it at Kansas state univ for years, with other types of plants, of course.

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Site Supporter
Mother Lode
i've had ameritrade, fidelity. prefer fidelity by a longshot

use limit orders to buy. also, i like to use aon - all or none. i've learned both of these lessons by getting fcked over by nyc vipers

generally, might think about buying in two or three parcels, trying to beat your first buy price. take a few days, or a week, or a month to fill out the position making multiple purchases

mtnman

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Aurora Cannabis Inc. ACB, Aphria Inc. APHA, and Cronos Group CRON. I am the proud owner of 20 shares each and losing money already! I'm not worried though I plan to keep these for a long time.

Mr Paradise

Midas Member
Midas Member
Good Luck, I just added some MO myself as well as a few other portfolio staples that are currently on sale. Looking forward to your CRON doing well as MO will have a 55% stake in it by 2022.

davycoppitt

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Dumped the remaining shares of my Emblem yesterday on the buyout news. It was complete junk offer and I no longer have faith in the company. Put some of the money into Canopy on the news they are entering the US. Not much. I will stay mostly out for the time being.

mtnman

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Curtman,

Here is an updated P & F chart.

Moving up the channel with current bullish resistance in the 25 range.

Looks good:beer:
I'm happy with my CRON.

Curtman

Silver Member
Silver Miner
CRON has been great I even added to at 17 Also building Aurora at the moment. :ponder:

Curtman

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Cronos Group Inc. Shareholders Approve C$2.4 Billion Strategic Investment from Altria Group, Inc.

GlobeNewswireFebruary 21, 2019

TORONTO, Feb. 21, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Cronos Group Inc. (CRON) (CRON.TO) (“Cronos Group” or the “Company”) announced that at a Special Meeting held today, the Company’s shareholders overwhelmingly approved the previously announced strategic investment agreement with Altria Group, Inc. (MO) (“Altria”). Pursuant to the agreement, at closing, Altria will make an approximately C$2.4 billion equity investment in Cronos Group (the “Transaction”) on a private placement basis in exchange for common shares (the “Shares”) in the capital of the Company. Altria will also receive Warrants of Cronos Group (the “Warrants”), that if fully exercised, would provide the Company with an additional approximately C$1.4 billion of proceeds. The Shares issuable to Altria will result in Altria holding an approximately 45% ownership interest in Cronos Group (calculated on a non-diluted basis) and exercise of the Warrants would result in incremental ownership of 10% for a total potential ownership position of 55%.
“We are very pleased to have received this approval and look forward to realizing the many benefits and value creation enabled by Cronos Group’s partnership with Altria,” said Mike Gorenstein, CEO of Cronos Group. “Altria’s expertise and complementary capabilities will better position Cronos Group to support our efforts in cannabinoid innovation, as well as the creation of differentiated products and brands across medical and recreational channels and throughout our global network.
Of the approximately 40.18% of common shares represented, in person or by proxy, at the special meeting of shareholders held on February 21, 2019 to approve the Transaction (the “Meeting”) approximately 98.46% of such common shares were voted in favor of the resolution approving the Transaction. In addition, each of Altria’s nominees to the board of directors of Cronos Group (the “Board”) were elected conditional upon and effective as of the closing of the Transaction. The detailed results of the vote for the election of Altria’s nominees are set out below:
NomineeVotes For% Votes ForVotes Withheld% Votes WithheldKevin C. Crosthwaite Jr.67,382,89993.82%4,437,6166.18%Bronwen Evans70,915,46498.74%904,0511.26%Murray R. Garnick67,382,28993.82%4,438,2266.18%Bruce A. Gates67,384,68693.82%4,435,8296.18%
Upon the closing of the Transaction, the Company’s Board will be reconstituted to consist of Jason Adler, Kevin C. Crosthwaite Jr., Bronwen Evans, Murray R. Garnick and Bruce A. Gates, Mike Gorenstein and James Rudyk.
Subject to the satisfaction or waiver of all the conditions to the Transaction, including the receipt of approval under the Investment Canada Act, the Transaction is expected to be completed by the end of March 2019.
Details of the voting results of the Meeting will be filed under the Company’s profile on SEDAR at www.sedar.com and on EDGAR at www.sec.gov.

mtnman

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I'm VERY happy with my CRONS stock!

AgAuGal

Founding Member
Founding Member
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
TD Amerritrade as has been mentioned bought Scottrade. But I really liked Scottrade, there local office staff were very helpful. TDA seems to prefer you work over the phone which I don't care for as much(probably an age thing)

Thing is if you can find a local TDA office they might actually have been Scottrade peeps and will help get you set up and going. I think trades are $7 but call or visit them since pricing might have changed. Got burned by miners and oil etfs so haven't dabbled much since.....just so you go into it knowing it's a rigged game...the house always wins....buy and hold a bunch of crap since companies not looking for mom and pop support anymore...be nimble, quick and maybe you will make a little.

Is there there a Mary Jane winner out there? Better product, business model than the rest?

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I've never bought stocks. I want to buy some marijuana company stocks. I'm looking at Cronos Group. I want to spend a thousand dollars. Any words of wisdom here? Where do I start.
Don’t buy individual stocks. Buy FSMEX. It is a mutual fund. A mutual fund is a basket of stocks, and the stocks in this one are all Medical equipment companies.

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Also, Vanguard and Fidelity are the top companies to hold your account.

Curtman

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Don’t buy individual stocks. Buy FSMEX. It is a mutual fund. A mutual fund is a basket of stocks, and the stocks in this one are all Medical equipment companies.
why wouldn't you just buy four of the creme de cremes

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
why wouldn't you just buy four of the creme de cremes
1. The fund managers have a LOT more time and resources to vet their choices
2. I wouldn't call four "diversified"
3. The track record of FSMEX speaks for itself as being well managed

Otherwise I'd recommend and S&P 500 Index Fund (like Vanguard 500 -- VFINX). Index investing beats about 80% of managed funds.

Investing is not gambling. Buying single stocks (especially day trading on technicals) is gambling.

If you are in it for the long haul then mutual funds are the way to go.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter

mtnman

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter

Au-myn

GOLDBUG
Founding Member
Site Supporter
as usual I was too early-should have went short-still holding position
That's OK if you are in LT. ST we have support at 15.5 on the Traditional scale P & F chart.

The CRON COMPQ Relative Strength chart issued a sell signal at 25 in March and is still in a row of O's. Currently, support is at 18.50 on the chart. Keep an eye on the next formation at the support line on both charts.

cron RS.png

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
1. The fund managers have a LOT more time and resources to vet their choices
2. I wouldn't call four "diversified"
3. The track record of FSMEX speaks for itself as being well managed

Otherwise I'd recommend and S&P 500 Index Fund (like Vanguard 500 -- VFINX). Index investing beats about 80% of managed funds.

Investing is not gambling. Buying single stocks (especially day trading on technicals) is gambling.

If you are in it for the long haul then mutual funds are the way to go.
FSMEX -- YTD = +13.71%
CPOAX -- YTD = +25.22%

The two strongest funds available out of 10,000+. CPOAX is tech heavy (FANG), but FSMEX is in an exploding sector (medical technology and devices).

These are the only stock market investments I recommend. Look at the 1 year, 5 year, 10 year returns and you will see why.

Individual stock trading is gambling, not investing.

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
You’re right. Back in 2001 when I bought AMZN for $5 ....I was gambling.
Gamblers have occasional wins. That's what brings them back to the table. Gamblers don't win long term. The house always beats the gamblers.

Curtman

Silver Member
Silver Miner
there is not a whole lot of long-term left for me-after blowing my first million after 2008 like to leave my kids at Legacy

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
Dem says marijuana banking bill will get House vote this spring
BY ALEX GANGITANO - 04/19/19

Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-Ore.) said Friday that the House will vote later this spring on legislation allowing banks to work with marijuana businesses in certain states.

Blumenauer, who has long pushed cannabis legislation in Congress, said he has been in touch with Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) on timing for the bill, which was approved by the House Financial Services Committee in a 45-15 vote last month.

“Nancy Pelosi has always been supportive of cannabis reform,” he told reporters on a call. “There’s no doubt in my mind what is coming out of the Financial Services Committee will be given the opportunity to proceed to the floor in regular order.”

When asked about timing for the bill, Pelosi spokesman Drew Hammill noted the strong bipartisan vote in committee and that conversations would continue as the panel's work wraps up.

The bill is expected to pass the House if it receives a vote, but it faces less-than-certain prospects in the GOP-controlled Senate.

Blumenauer acknowledged on Friday that bipartisan support for the bill in the Senate is “not quite as robust as the situation in the House.”

“The situation in the Senate is more fluid. I’m not quite as optimistic but I’m not pessimistic about movement in the Senate,” he said. “We find more people who are outspoken in support of it.”

He noted that Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) played a key role in legislation of hemp. He also spoke about another prominent Republican in the cannabis community: former Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio).

Boehner has worked as a marijuana advocate and sits on the board of the cannabis corporation Acreage Holdings, which owns legalized marijuana licenses in several states. He also is honorary chairman of the National Cannabis Roundtable, an organization to lobby for pro-marijuana policy.

The promotion by Blumenauer comes a day before April 20, or 4/20, which refers to the date and time –– 4:20 p.m. –– when cannabis users consume marijuana to celebrate the cannabis culture.

Blumenauer said that when he talked to Boehner about supporting cannabis after leaving Congress, the former Speaker said he had evolved on the issue.

“There are other people who are evolving on the cannabis issue,” Blumenauer said.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter

Oldmansmith

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Old thread, but weed stocks have been crushed worse than the broad market, as should be expected for speculative stocks. Looking for a bounce, maybe short term, but if the S and P bounces weed stocks will bounce more. May not be time yet to go long but ther should be opportunity

dacrunch

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
I've never bought stocks. I want to buy some marijuana company stocks. I'm looking at Cronos Group. I want to spend a thousand dollars. Any words of wisdom here? Where do I start.
I don't advise anybody any more... in case things go sour, haha.

Rental properties near your house or your work, so you don't have to "go out of your way" every time something goes wrong, has worked out for me... But best to be a "do-it-yourself" person, and buy them cheap, and screen tenants 1.000%...

edsl48

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++

Rental properties near your house or your work, so you don't have to "go out of your way" every time something goes wrong, has worked out for me... But best to be a "do-it-yourself" person, and buy them cheap, and screen tenants 1.000%...
Ain;t that the truth? At the moment with housing prices soaring once again it has always confounded me why people will overpay in such a manner they are basically buying a negative cash flow.

mtnman

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter

I don't like people... I'd hate tenants.