• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

FIVE fargin days without

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
No fargin phone (landline) (I do not have a cell phone or tablet.)

No fargin tablet (Herself's wouldn't even show the right date, much less work.)

No fargin Internet

No fargin connection the library

No nuffin' <-- AT&T just now got done. Seems some junction box a half-mile away took a dump. I had to tell the guy where the problem was -- this same thing happened about three years ago. He replaced my semi-new modem with a screaming new one that only has three lights on it (all green as I type this) <-- The other one had about seven. Half red, half dark, the other half (power) was green... alone.

Did two 500-piece jigsaw puzzles. Over sixty cryptograms.

All fixed, and I dodged a bullet. The deal was: If it was my stuff what wuz bad, I would get charged (big time), It wasn't. No charge.

But here is where I gotta catch up. My newspaper (Pravda on The Coast) has no news in it. AT ALL.

I have no fargin idea what has really gone down in a fargin week!

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Hopefully you had a back up generator to keep you food cold.

No fargin Internet

No nuffin' <-- AT&T just now got done. Seems some junction box a half-mile away took a dump. I had to tell the guy where the problem was -- this same thing happened about three years ago. He replaced my semi-new modem with a screaming new one that only has three lights on it (all green as I type this) <-- The other one had about seven. Half red, half dark, the other half (power) was green... alone.

All fixed, and I dodged a bullet. The deal was: If it was my stuff what wuz bad, I would get charged (big time), It wasn't. No charge.

But here is where I gotta catch up. My newspaper (Pravda on The Coast) has no news in it. AT ALL.

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
Reaction score

No fargin Internet

The Third-Worlding of Amerika.

Once again, I saw a preview of this - seventeen years ago, in Buffalo, New York.

Already then, the libburlz' War On Business was showing fruit. Buying gasoline, for example - after Gnu Yark AG Eliot Spitzer threatened gas-station owners with "price gouging" when they raised their prices in response to crude-oil price rises (and, unmentioned, delivery prices by refineries and wholesalers) stations magically disappeared - becoming vacant storefronts, frequently decorated with gang graffiti. The electric company, Niagara-Mohawk Power Corporation, was so disgusted with the regulation, the threats, the constant micromanagement by politicians in Albany, that they, and shareholders, voted to sell the company to UK-based National Grid, PLC. National Grid is a Vulture-Capital company - bleed their properties white.

I was born in NY, and spent a lot of my childhood in the state. One thing that hit me, and remained true even into the 1970s, was: Despite the horrific Great Lakes winter weather, Niagara-Mohawk very seldom had power outages. Their power was ungodly expensive, but it's obvious they put some of that money to work on a first-class infrastructure.

That was no more. Living outside Buffalo, with NM-National Grid my power supplier...I was having outages and irregularities ALL THE TIME. It got to where I used a laptop, with an external monitor plugged in, as my primary computer - for the battery backup.

And this is no mere conjecture. During one outage, in line at Homey De-pot to buy a generator...the guy behind me, turned out to be an early-retired Niagara-Mohawk field supervisor. The stories he told, of substations run at 120-percent capacity, cooled with fire-hoses on tripods...would give you chills. His advice: Buy the best generator you could, because we'll all be needing them here in Buffalo. They let go, 3/4 of their linemen, depending on mutual-aid agreements with other utilities in other states.

Well, as we saw in Texas this winter...the National-Grid-ization of the power system has gone national. And, now that Texas is being destroyed, libburlz are setting their eyes on the last hope for the nation - Florida.

specsaregood

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
So when can we be expecting your next book to be published? Seems you had plenty of time to work on one.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
So when can we be expecting your next book to be published? Seems you had plenty of time to work on one.
Well, I wrote a short story about Pokemon <-- he's a Rastafarian proctologist who switches to Frisbeetarianism for two reasons: Willy-nilly (a Jamaican's impotence) and lymph <-- he walks with a lisp.

Freebietarianism is a religion that holds the belief that when your soul leaves your body, it gets stuck on the roof.

specsaregood

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Well, I wrote a short story about Pokemon <-- he's a Rastafarian proctologist who switches to Frisbeetarianism for two reasons: Willy-nilly (a Jamaican's impotence) and lymph <-- he walks with a lisp.

Freebietarianism is a religion that holds the belief that when your soul leaves your body, it gets stuck on the roof.
I look forward to reading it. :)

My kid started writing a script for a movie he wants to shoot this summer at our swim club. It revolves around a "leech-alligator-human hybrid mutant" that lives in the stream behind the pool and comes out at dusk to drink the blood of kids at the pool.
I told him, "I'm not sure we have the costume budget for your antagonist."
he said, "CGI!"
so that should be fun.

viking

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
No cellphone?

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
No cellphone?
Wife has one. Didn't do anything at all in getting news. And no net. Not even the fargin library connection worked.

Zerio.

viking

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Wife has one. Didn't do anything at all in getting news. And no net. Not even the fargin library connection worked.

Zerio.

make the cellphone a hotspot or tether it if you want Internet if it happens again.

Last edited:

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
make the phone a hotspot or tether it if you want Internet if it happens again.
Would not have done a thing.

The phone is at the end of the line. The beginning of the line is a half-mile away in a huge junction box.

If that goes tits up (it did, twice) then no phone, no tablet, NFW to get on the Internet at all. Pee-ree-odd.

Uncle

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Chink in the armor exposed, Walter. If you're inclined.

Golden Regards
Uncle

Mujahideen

Owner Operator
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Since I’m OTR my phone is Verizon and I have an AT&T modem/WiFi device on my truck so both systems would have to be out for me to be SOL.

the_shootist

I identify as fully vaccinated so I'm good!
Midas Member
Sr Midas Supporter +++
Reaction score

The phone is at the end of the line. The beginning of the line is a half-mile away in a huge junction box.

If that goes tits up (it did, twice) then no phone, no tablet, NFW to get on the Internet at all. Pee-ree-odd.
That's what we call in the IT infrastructure architect world a single point of failure....very bad juju indeed!

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
Reaction score
That's what we call in the IT infrastructure architect world a single point of failure....very bad juju indeed!
Engineers in general. I'm not an engineer - not that kind, anyway - but I know some of their habits and the way they think.

REDUNDANCY. That's what made Boeing jets so safe - before McDonnel-Douglas got bought, and then ate Boeing out from the inside. Even before the FAA demanded it, there was redundancy on redundancy. Multiple systems, from hydraulics to electrics, to how Boeing jets in the early years could leave the runway with two engines (of four) dead.

It's how they were trained to do it...all disciplines, be it structural, mechanical, electrical or avionic.

But today's Hipster-influenced generation, doesn't get that. Tesla cars, designed by stoners, do not have that redundancy. Which is why that jackass Autopilot keeps on killing people, in and out of that car. No multiple sensors. No backup system. And instead of gauges and controls, one of those potheads cobbled in, essentially, an iPad. It's not industrial grade, not SAE approved. Nope, it's what kids surf on Face___k with; and it's controlling your car, your perception of what's around you...your interface with Autopilot.

They don't hold up. Sure, they're easy to replace - once the car is retrieved from where it failed, and a factory repair team is working on it. What of, when it goes down in the middle of a trip? Which is when it probably will.

You see this lack of redundancy all over. One critical issue fails, and the appliance catches fire, the bridge collapses, the dam busts.

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Glad to hear you are ok Unca Walt. They know nothing of our dependence upon technology, but are the Cassowaries ok?

cool:

<SLV>

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score

Thank you. I have read this three times, out loud, to my wife. She gave me a polite smile, but I managed to work up some laughter tears.

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
Reaction score
That's a sign a of wise man. A few weeks ago I was chatting with a really bright guy, and I complimented him on how much he knew.

He said, "Yeah, I haven't watched TV in 20 years."
I resemble that remark!

I know, of course, that a lot of stackers here tend to like my pithy observations and caustic comments here. It's appreciated...but ya know what I am? I'm just a mediocre schlub, who had dreams, who got bounced from university, who wound up driving trains, nights.

What I didn't have, was television. And somehow FOR that, I can see through the head job this virus and these Deep State liars and quacks are pushing. See through the Narratives. I'm not part of the mass insanity of the age, or all its manifestations - Free Money For Everyone, Face-Diapers Save Lives, Fifty-Seven Sexes...all down the line. I think, and what I think, somehow, is FAR different from the mass hysteria and the lunatic Narratives the sheeple are fed.

OMFG, how much better our world would be, if we could just get the populace to TURN OFF THE IDIOT BOX.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear you are ok Unca Walt. They know nothing of our dependence upon technology, but are the Cassowaries ok?

cool:
I'm still waiting on my emotional support cassowary

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

cool:
YOWZA

Them there cassowaries are 60 miles north of here at Scotty's animobile farm. And they are all being sold off. He is gonna sell the whole farm, too. Already bought one of those 14' tall, 46' long sooper motorhome (used) for under $50K.

He needs a break. He has been working like a beaver on crack since he started grade school up to this day (53).

We half-assed kinda pushed him into going exploring.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
I'm still waiting on my emotional support cassowary
We had a small glitch; when female cassowaries decide it is time for her male to leave, she gives a slight warning. If the warning is ignored, the much larger female will attack the male.

Your support cassowary was lookin' to get laid, but Big Bird (of kitchen scene Jurassic Park fame) was not at all ready.

Sorry to say, but she killed -- and ate him. I cannot send you the remains, because she has to eat them a total of four times in order to digest them.

So I am sending you a steel cyclone fence-post cap that Big Bird ate... and then pooped it out. It will doubtless have traces of Gori Chitti on it. A quarter (also eaten by BB) shows size.

Oh. Gori Chitti is an Indian name. IBM, not woo-woo indian. It means "White Butterfly".

cassowary poop.jpg

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
Reaction score
I'd love to hear Doctor Scott's experiences. Not the touristy stuff (that's okay, too) but costs, experiences with finding places to tie down for the night.

Walt? You remember. While we were arguing about gold, years ago, we were arguing about buying a motor home. You said, back when I quit my job with CSX...instead of motel living on my new and temporary jobs, just buy a motorhome.

Elsewhere I'd researched experiences with motorhomes and came to the conclusion that MOST were shoddily built; that the real tanks were converted buses. Those DO last. The most-durable are those old school-buses, built on, basically, dump-truck chasses. They ride rough, but springs can be modified.

And then, traveling in my cramped van, I discovered something else. MANY RV lots do not ALLOW vans or converted buses in. The thing has to be DOT certified as a motor home. And most RV parks, as well as National Forest sites, charge, often a LOT, for overnight accommodations.

But, right now, with the rental market crazy, the dollar market crazy, and...soon...all these RVs that are selling like mad, are gonna hit the secondary market. If I'm to buy, that will be the right time.

Like to hear the present-day experience, told by someone who's doing it.

specsaregood

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
And then, traveling in my cramped van, I discovered something else. MANY RV lots do not ALLOW vans or converted buses in. The thing has to be DOT certified as a motor home. And most RV parks, as well as National Forest sites, charge, often a LOT, for overnight accommodations.

Get the lifetime pass for federal parks for 80bucks. It gets you and 3 others + vehicle in for free and 50% off camping sites.
You can get a free pass if you are a veteran.

When I lived in a travel trailer on the road, my business partner had a free lifetime pass from being permanently disabled. staying at federal parks/campgrounds was our primary inexpensive place to stay.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Reaction score
BB was the one I had in mind. You see, there is this golf course that has a gopher problem.........

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Re: Scooter

Well, he ain't going nowheres yet. Hasta sell the farm first -- he is storing his semi-train right there with him.

And regarding the RV stuff. CJ is spot on that they are often pretty horribobble from a quality POV. There are -- just like cars -- Yugos and Lincolns.

There is a sekrit... well, at least a real good idea... to buying a good motorhome at the lowest cost. Like Cadillacs, these things depreciate like downhill racers for the first ten years or so. Then, the remaining ones on the market shear into two distinct categories:

!. Neat-as-a-pin, looks brand new, obviously lived in by a single owner.

2. Second-drawer. If the appearance is shoddy, so will be the basics in maintenance.

Both will sell. The first kind will have been maintained better, and still will be sold for less than half the new price.

Typical -- I just checked within a 20-mile radius of meself, and here is a negotiable asking price of $60K for a motorhome that cost $128,000 new:

HAH! I just turned the page on that site and found this -- it is FAR BETTER!!

Click on the link for specifics on everything about it.

1622819679005.png

1622819776573.png

I note that by going to the site above, about 3/4 or Casey Jones' questions are answered -- with obvious leads to more.

Last edited:

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
BB was the one I had in mind. You see, there is this golf course that has a gopher problem.........
Yabbut... she got loose once on the practice range. Swallowed 1700 golf balls.

These are all we got back:

1622820053717.png

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
YOWZA

Them there cassowaries are 60 miles north of here at Scotty's animobile farm. And they are all being sold off. He is gonna sell the whole farm, too. Already bought one of those 14' tall, 46' long sooper motorhome (used) for under $50K.

He needs a break. He has been working like a beaver on crack since he started grade school up to this day (53).

We half-assed kinda pushed him into going exploring.

how much for the Farm?

forgive me for asking

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
OMFG, how much better our world would be, if we could just get the populace to TURN OFF THE IDIOT BOX.
Been there since 8 sept 2020 (day our home vanished from Earth)!!! Mrs. T. has figured out how to get "Murder She wrote" on her laptop !!! Me, I'm too busy helping the help, get the property back to buildable.:mining::mining::mining:

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

Well, he ain't going nowheres yet. Hasta sell the farm first -- he is storing his semi-train right there with him.

And regarding the RV stuff. CJ is spot on that they are often pretty horribobble from a quality POV. There are -- just like cars -- Yugos and Lincolns.

There is a sekrit... well, at least a real good idea... to buying a good motorhome at the lowest cost. Like Cadillacs, these things depreciate like downhill racers for the first ten years or so. Then, the remaining ones on the market shear into two distinct categories:

2. Second-drawer. If the appearance is shoddy, so will be the basics in maintenance.

Both will sell. The first kind will have been maintained better, and still will be sold for less than half the new price.

Typical -- I just checked within a 20-mile radius of meself, and here is a negotiable asking price of $60K for a motorhome that cost $128,000 new:

View attachment 212781

View attachment 212782

I note that by going to the site above, about 3/4 or Casey Jones' questions are answered -- with obvious leads to more.
Nice snag, Unca !:thumbs up 2::thumbs up 2::thumbs up 2:

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

View attachment 212781

View attachment 212782

You stole it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CONGRADULATIONS !!

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
You stole it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CONGRADULATIONS !!
Appreciate the halloo, but it wuz Scooter what bought one, not me. I'm stayin' in the Chateau.

The pictures are of a very similar one to Scotty's, which is still for sale right now

Hint, Hint, Casey Jones!

AurumAg

Ag mirror of truth Aurum purity of mind
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like paradise to me.

For REAL vacations, I go out of my way to avoid the Internet.

My current gig has me working in a software lab full of hardware required to support Internet carriers; specifically wireless and fiber to the home.

Last edited:

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Well...Montucky becomes Clown World.

"Smart" electric meters were installed on Friday. To monitor Deplorables and their electric usage, ie, air conditioning.

Saturday night, the Re-Imagined Power Controlling situation, took a big fat dump and fell over dead.

Thirteen hours later, I'm still without power. Refrigerator and computer are powered off an inverter off my 1994 Toyota and my fifteen-year-old inverter.

I feel the pain of those without power. But we all gotta make our own way.