• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Flat Earth - For all the Ballers out there I have a question..

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
OK, it's not working, but I still have faith in misty's perception of the world. So I figured the problem's gotta be with that google earth thingy and I hauled out my 1987 world globe for a little experiment with square corners. First I drew on very thin plastic a 6X6 square. Then I static pressed it to the old globe. Hummmm...

Flat Earth 1.jpg

Still doesn't quite work. I still need to make three 90° turns to get back home.
I don't think I'm gonna be asking misty to be my navigator on my next round-the-world flight, he might just steer us over the edge. :Happy:

backyard science for those who didn't get any govment moneys
BF

G-khan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why is flat earth important? How did we learn the earth was a ball? Who taught us this?
Can you see it? What about Q?

G-khan - Is the earth flat or a ball! I don't know when I see it with my own eyes I will post my conclusion. Love how I and eyes fit together.. Godspeed - spirit is what counts for me and I wear it as my shield!

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
OK, it's not working,

Your sides aren't long enough.

In the following pic, the apparent straight line is nearly 500 miles longer. The only reason the actual straight path looks curved is due to being projected on a flat surface.

Earth4.PNG

I hauled out my 1987 world globe
Try it again, but this time start at the Equator and draw a line straight North to the Pole. Then turn 90 degrees to the right and draw a straight line back to the Equator. Then turn 90 degrees to the right (as seen in the direction of travel Southwards from the Pole) and follow the Equator back to where you started. Three 90 degree turns to make a "triangle".

Bottom Feeder

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
So it only works under 'special' conditions, eh?
Well I guess you know what that is called in science, right?

cold fusion
BF

Libertaurum

Freedom First
Platinum Bling
Can you see Russia from your house?
If Earth were flat, on clear days and using a telescope you would be able to see mountains and cities hundreds of miles away, just as you see clouds that are hundreds of miles away. Heck, we would all be able to see Mt. Everest in the distance now and then. Yet no one can see objects at ground level more than 5 miles away while also standing at ground level. Beyond that, even skyscrapers and huge mountains are not visible beyond the horizon.

Why do you think that is? Where are they and why can't you see them?

Last edited:

Bottom Feeder

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Went back in my smokin room to cogitate on this a bit, because I still think misty has a relevant point, but I’m a little slow to put it into all four dimensions. So after I smoked a bowl and got my head on straight I had this epiphany— my head! Started at my right ear, traced a path over the top of my head to my left ear, then straight across my nose back to my right ear. Eureka!

Seattle is around about the 47th parallel, so if I get in my SST, zip over the north pole to the 47th parallel on the other side of the earth, turn left 90° (one turn) and follow it back to seattle I should arrive back where I started.

See, ya don’t need no computer access, old globes with plastic tracer maps, graphs, drawings and u-toobs. All ya gotta do is use yer head.

:Happy::Happy::Happy:
BF

Libertaurum

Freedom First
Platinum Bling
Went back in my smokin room to cogitate on this a bit, because I still think misty has a relevant point, but I’m a little slow to put it into all four dimensions. So after I smoked a bowl and got my head on straight I had this epiphany— my head! Started at my right ear, traced a path over the top of my head to my left ear, then straight across my nose back to my right ear. Eureka!

Seattle is around about the 47th parallel, so if I get in my SST, zip over the north pole to the 47th parallel on the other side of the earth, turn left 90° (one turn) and follow it back to seattle I should arrive back where I started.

See, ya don’t need no computer access, old globes with plastic tracer maps, graphs, drawings and u-toobs. All ya gotta do is use yer head.

:Happy::Happy::Happy:
BF
Well done, BF.
And, I must admit, I was somewhat impressed that you had an old globe and took the marker to it.
Here's one more puff: If you just keep going in a straight line, you'll end up right back in Seattle again, without any turns at all!

Bottom Feeder

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Oh brother, this debate is still going on. I could laugh or cry. Maybe laugh and cry and cry and laugh about it all again.
:laughing:
Yeah, <heh> we start a new one every couple months or so.

G-khan

Founding Member
Founding Member
download (18).jpg 2 apples plus 2 apples = 4 apples correct?
Wrong if you answered 2 apples + 2 = 4
The pic above is not of apples at all - its plastic..

Look I don't know if earth is flat or round! I feel more confident that NASA and the Jesuit/Catholic astronomers are not telling the truth. The question for me is what is the purpose of those lies?

Bottom Feeder

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
The russians released a video of their failed launch of two austonuts, a cool short video to watch. Right at the end though, before the failure, you can see the curvature of the earth. Now I know y'all gonna say "fake, fake, fake video", but really? Why would they provide a video of their failure just to fake a round earth?
Failed Launch

BF

Last edited:

G-khan

Founding Member
Founding Member
The russians released a video of their failed launch of two austonuts, a cool short video to watch. Right at the end though, before the failure, you can see the curvature of the earth. Now I know y'all gonna say "fake, fake, fake video", but really? Why would they provide a video of their failure just to fake a round earth?
Filed Launch

BF
Maybe Billions of Rubles and for USA Dollars that is why.. You go ahead and trust who you want.

G-khan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cost of the movie Gravity was 100 million.. We give NASA about 19 billion a year - for that price you would think we would get a little better quality videos.

NASA technician below..

farmer-milking-cow-400x264.jpg

US taxpayer getting milked!
That is what I think!

BarnacleBob

Founding Member
Site Mgr
Site Supporter

Thecrensh

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
It would be tangy if you science majors would just tell us where the edge is
One time I flew from Germany to Alaska - over the Arctic - and I didn't see the edge, or the giant ice wall some say marks the boundary of the edge.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
The narrative is that "The Edge" is in the south pole, where nobody is allowed to go but the people in on it.

Except anyone can go there, many companies offer expeditions for 50-60k.

Except it's not real and they are tricking you and sheeple wouldn't know the difference.

For me the coolest thing was looking down at the Ice Pack where Shackleton spent 2 years camped out on the ice waiting on the Currents to carry them far enough north fir the ice to melt enough to get in little boats.

Insted of a "meet and Greet" we should do an epic expidition, especially if it leads to a situation where we pick someone to be sacrificed and eaten.

I vote for the youngest and most tender.

For the sake of discussion

Juristic Person

They drew first blood
Platinum Bling
Why did the shadow of the eclipse travel west to east? Still waiting for Nasa to come up with a an answer...

00nightstorm

Seeker
Seeker
They also believe there is no such thing as escape velocity, that satellites don't exist, everything NASA is a conspiracy, Tesla, SpaceX, every telecommunication, or corporation that deals with satellites... they are all in on it, in order to trick you into believing that the earth is round, because they want to keep you away from the ice wall. Only the King Beyond the Wall or Wildings are allowed back there. But Mars is round. But the moon isn't. Or maybe it is, there seems to be some disagreement there. But everyone can agree that Donald Trump is in on it.

BarnacleBob

Founding Member
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
160511.jpg

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Why did the shadow of the eclipse travel west to east? Still waiting for Nasa to come up with a an answer...
It is pretty simple, actually, if you think about it and pay attention to the changing position of the moon over a few days. It might help if you think about it like this: in the days following a new moon the moon will be a crescent and set soon after sunset. Each day after the moon will set later in time. So you can conclude that in the event of a solar eclipse the moon would enter the sun's path from the West and exit to the East.

Alton

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
A little more fuel for the fire...

The struggle to visualize climate when most people impose flat Earth conceptions into a three-dimensional atmosphere

Dr. Tim Ball
Watts Up With That?
Sun, 04 Nov 2018 00:00 UTC

In a recent article, I used an illustration of 1200 km circles around a weather station to illustrate the extent the IPCC considered it represented. A comment about the article asked if I was aware of the map distortion and its effect on the circle of coverage. It was an arcane but important observation. He was pointing to the distortion created by using a Mercator projection map.

I am very aware of the distortion. My entire career involved working with maps. This included flying in the Air Force; teaching courses and running labs about maps and map reading; studying climate weather maps; the movement and migration of people driven by climate change; and teaching a course in political geography. I provided major research for a book on the search for the Northwest Passage on the Pacific west coast written by Sam Bawlf titled, "The Secret Voyages of Sir Francis Drake." Dr. John Dee, science advisor to Queen Elizabeth I, gave Drake his sailing and scientific instructions. This included accurately determining the longitude of the west coast of North America. This research resulted in Drake visiting the Dutch map maker Abraham Ortelius (1527-1598) after his return. Two months after Drake's visit Ortelius produced a new world map with the coast shifted 60° of longitude to its proper position.

Dee drew a map for Elizabeth I that illustrates his spatial awareness of the world (Figure 1). It is a unique perspective, even for today's space-age citizen because it is looking down on the North Pole. Our view of the world and spatial relationships were distorted by the Mercator map introduced in 1569. Its specific purpose was to make navigating a three-dimensional world using a two-dimensional map easier.

The distortion of a Mercator map increases as you move away from the Equator until the North and South Poles, single points on the Earth, become as long, 40,075 km, as the Equator (Figure 2). The problem is it became the standard projection in the classroom and society. In many ways, it set back understanding of the spatial form and relationships on the Earth and in our solar system. This seriously hampered the understanding of geographic relationships, climate, and climate change.

Historians talk about the Greek Miracle, a period from 700 to 400 BC. The global climate of the period, which began cooling around 850 BC, was cooler than today. Greece was cooler and wetter and conducive to plant growth similar to France today. Central to the Greek Miracle was the understanding of the third dimension. It is manifest in the construction of the Parthenon. They built the center of the base higher than the ends to offset the distortions caused by the eye to make it appear level. The columns bowed out in the middle to prevent them from looking bent in when viewed from below.

Figure 1

Awareness of space and the third dimension allowed them to calculate the Earth's circumference accurately. Eratosthenes did it by measuring the difference in the length of the shadow of a stick at noon at two locations (Figure 3).

Figure 2

Figure 3

The idea of a differing angle of the sun is critical to understanding climate and climate change. This is why the word climate derives from the Greek word for inclination. It is also why the Greeks were able to identify three climate zones, the Torrid, Temperate, and Frigid, (Figure 4).

Figure 4

The three-dimensional (3-D) understanding disappeared during what some historians call the Dark Ages. Regardless of the semantics about the phrase, it was a period when the Catholic church dictated the western view of the world. They supported the Ptolemaic view of a geocentric universe, that is with the planets, including the Sun, orbiting the earth at the center.

This view held until Copernicus (1473-1543) proposed the heliocentric, Sun-centred system, in 1514. In fact, his theory did not receive public disclosure until after his death in 1543. He knew the dangers associated with opposing prevailing wisdom. The other problem is all the visual and other evidence for the public contradicts the theory. Physical evidence to prove the theory didn't appear for 182 years. It occurred in 1725 with the discovery of parallax. Few know or understand it, but then it is of no consequence to most people's lives. A survey shows that 1 in 4 Americans believe the Sun orbits the earth.

The Copernican Revolution marked a return of the 3-D perception of the world. It also marked the return of the Greek perception in all aspects of western society, known as the Renaissance, or rebirth. (Some wag in England dubbed it the 'Wrenaissance' after Christopher Wren who reintroduced classic Greek architecture to England). Music introduced the concept of harmony. Art rediscovered the vanishing point exemplified in the works of Canaletto (Figure 5).

Figure 5

Most people live in the world they perceive. For example, the Inuit tradition is the Earth is saucer-shaped because there is a mirage effect in the arctic called looming. A thin layer of warm air close to the surface that makes the horizon 'rise up' creates it. The visual evidence for most people is that the Earth is flat with a surrounding rim.

There are few places where you can be high enough with a flat surrounding to see the Earth's curvature. That doesn't mean they don't know the Earth is round, it is simply their experience. It also means they rarely think about things in a 3-D way, which brings us back to the Mercator projection and its influence on spatial perceptions of the Earth.

Benjamin Franklin (1706 -1790) was one of the most perceptive and aware people in history. He was, by all measures, a legitimate polymath. However, he also spanned the onset of the Renaissance. As the first joint postmaster general for the American colonies he increased the speed of mail between America and France. This was especially important during the US Revolution. He provided thermometers to postal ships, so they could stay in the warm, strong North Atlantic Drift going east and avoid it going west.

Despite this, and his experiments with kites and lightning, Franklin could not understand the wind patterns associated with mid-latitude cyclones. This was a spinning motion around a low-pressure center that moved across the country. It wasn't until 1857 that Dutch meteorologist Buys Ballot established the relationship between wind direction and the horizontal pressure pattern. As part of my instructions for Canadian farmers on how to track weather systems, I taught the simple method based on Buys Ballot's Law for tracking the movement for the center of a low-pressure system. In the Northern hemisphere with the wind at your back, the low is on your left. They combine with this with a barometer to determine the direction and movement of the system. They can calculate when it will pass and allow them to plan to get chores done.

The public lack of 3-D perception continues. Most are unable to imagine or even explain how the moon orbits the Earth. People look at weather maps but are unable to visualize the 3-D atmosphere. Few know the Troposphere that effectively marks the top of the atmosphere in which weather occurs is twice as high over the Equator with an extreme difference between 20 km at the equator in summer and 7 km over the Poles in winter. For most people, the weather is 1-D, while climate is 3-D. The Milankovitch Effect illustrates the challenge to understanding climate change (Figure 6).

Figure 6.

Most people understand that the Tilt of the Earth is a constant 23.5°. They understand the Orbit is unchanging and slightly elliptical. They have more difficulty imagining the orbital change, even when they learn it is due mostly to the changing gravitational pull from Jupiter. The Tilt is more difficult to grasp because they don't know how slow the Earth rotates relative to its size, and there is no established cause for the change. They really get lost when trying to understand the Precession of the Equinox, which is a combination of different effects. All this lack of knowledge is about information known to science starting 176 years ago.

Another complicated 3-D concept for 2-D people to grasp is Coriolis Force. The name is incorrect because there is no force. It is properly the Coriolis Effect that in reality appears to create a force affecting anything moving across the surface of the Earth. I illustrated the difficulty of imagining and intellectualizing the process by telling the students that if you look down on the North Pole, the Earth is spinning counterclockwise, but it is a clockwise spin when looking down on the South Pole. I then took a globe pointing the North Pole toward them, and while spinning it in the same direction, slowly turned the South pole toward them. Some thought it was a trick globe, others asked for a repeat of the demonstration, most looked very puzzled.

The challenge in climate is somewhat similar to map making. That is, to take a globe (3-D) and display it on a flat surface (2-D). If you only want to focus on one issue like Great Circle routes (the shortest distance between two points) as with the Mercator projection, you can effectively ignore all other factors. Science calls this ceteris paribus.

It was what early claims of anthropogenic global warming did. They said if we raise the level of CO2 in the atmosphere temperature will increase, with the critical limitation of ceteris paribus. It is far from that in a complex spherical world that is rotating. Unfortunately, for those trying to explain climate and climate change, none of this is of any consequence to most people. They are quite happy in their 2-D world. The 3-D world of climate only became an intrusion into their 2-D people world when it was exploited by a few for a political agenda.

G-khan

Founding Member
Founding Member
G-khan, I know you to be an intelligent and thoughtful poster. Although it's tough for me to understand how you could believe the Earth is flat, I suppose it's not such an outrageous conclusion, since many people thought so for so long. It seems flat at first glance. However, observations such as the variation in the angle of shadows cast by the sun at mid-day in places along the north-south axis were enough for even ancient philosophers to conclude it must be round. Not to speak of the successful circumnavegation of the globe in every direction centuries ago. Have you ever watched ships disappear over the horizon? That can be done. The fact that Galileo's predictions were accurate, that we have satellites orbiting the globe, that the planet has been observed from the Moon and from ships headed into the Solar system hundreds of times, the fact every other observable body in the sky is round... In my OPINION, the sum of the evidence is more than enough to prove that the Earth is round.
Explain in this video about 11:00 mins in the wobble of earth that is central to the ball view.. This video has several points that are strong for (Flat), that what we are told is not correct! I don't see us as a ball flying and spinning through space. I was taught that by NASA, and Jesuits Catholic Astronomers?

I don't know if the earth is flat or round? I do know that when I mention this many get triggered and mad! A question all should ask is why the triggering? Recall right after 9/11 the triggering or Obamas birth certificate.. if you brought them up you were ostracized as a radical nut job. Try bringing up a discussion about flat earth - just watch what happens.

You bring up ships disappearing in horizon as they go over the supposed curve. Well look at the second video on that..
There are hundreds of these videos including infrared, laser light, and beamed radio transmission done on video that says the curve is not there..

Just searching for truth? Right now I don't know..

Big Bang fairy tale told by Wizards and Warlocks of Scientism Religion
Back in the day we had Alchemists turning lead to gold - they went away when confronted to prove it.
So now they come up with shit they think they can get away with..
Those are my thoughts - you believe, and think what you want.
I will continue search for answers - some day I hope we get to know the truth. I don't know flat or round?

stonedywankanobe

.409'er
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
an interesting read I thought. For your consideration...

The Myth of the Flat Earth

Jeffrey Burton Russell
How does investigating the myth of the flat earth help teachers of the history of science?
First, as a historian, I have to admit that it tells us something about the precariousness of history. History is precarious for three reasons: the good reason that it is extraordinarily difficult to determine "what really happened" in any series of events; the bad reason that historical scholarship is often sloppy; and the appalling reason that far too much historical scholarship consists of contorting the evidence to fit ideological models. The worst examples of such contortions are the Nazi and Communist histories of the early- and mid-twentieth century.

Contortions that are common today, if not widely recognized, are produced by the incessant attacks on Christianity and religion in general by secular writers during the past century and a half, attacks that are largely responsible for the academic and journalistic sneers at Christianity today.

A curious example of this mistreatment of the past for the purpose of slandering Christians is a widespread historical error, an error that the Historical Society of Britain some years back listed as number one in its short compendium of the ten most common historical illusions. It is the notion that people used to believe that the earth was flat--especially medieval Christians.

It must first be reiterated that with extraordinary few exceptions no educated person in the history of Western Civilization from the third century B.C. onward believed that the earth was flat. A round earth appears at least as early as the sixth century BC with Pythagoras, who was followed by Aristotle, Euclid, and Aristarchus, among others in observing that the earth was a sphere. Although there were a few dissenters--Leukippos and Demokritos for example--by the time of Eratosthenes (3 c. BC), followed by Crates(2 c. BC), Strabo (3 c. BC), and Ptolemy (first c. AD), the sphericity of the earth was accepted by all educated Greeks and Romans.

Nor did this situation change with the advent of Christianity. A fewóat least two and at most five--early Christian fathers denied the spherically of earth by mistakenly taking passages such as Ps. 104:2-3 as geographical rather than metaphorical statements. On the other side tens of thousands of Christian theologians, poets, artists, and scientists took the spherical view throughout the early, medieval, and modern church. The point is that no educated person believed otherwise.

Historians of science have been proving this point for at least 70 years (most recently Edward Grant, David Lindberg, Daniel Woodward, and Robert S. Westman), without making notable headway against the error. Schoolchildren in the US, Europe, and Japan are for the most part being taught the same old nonsense. How and why did this nonsense emerge?
In my research, I looked to see how old the idea was that medieval Christians believed the earth was flat. I obviously did not find it among medieval Christians. Nor among anti-Catholic Protestant reformers. Nor in Copernicus or Galileo or their followers, who had to demonstrate the superiority of a heliocentric system, but not of a spherical earth. I was sure I would find it among the eighteenth-century philosophers, among all their vitriolic sneers at Christianity, but not a word.

I am still amazed at where it first appears. No one before the 1830s believed that medieval people thought that the earth was flat. The idea was established, almost contemporaneously, by a Frenchman and an American, between whom I have not been able to establish a connection, though they were both in Paris at the same time. One was Antoine-Jean Letronne (1787-1848), an academic of strong antireligious prejudices who had studied both geography and patristics and who cleverly drew upon both to misrepresent the church fathers and their medieval successors as believing in a flat earth, in his On the Cosmographical Ideas of the Church Fathers (1834).

The American was no other than our beloved storyteller Washington Irving (1783-1859), who loved to write historical fiction under the guise of history. His misrepresentations of the history of early New York City and of the life of Washington were topped by his history of Christopher Columbus (1828). It was he who invented the indelible picture of the young Columbus, a "simple mariner," appearing before a dark crowd of benighted inquisitors and hooded theologians at a council of Salamanca, all of whom believed, according to Irving, that the earth was flat like a plate. Well, yes, there was a meeting at Salamanca in 1491, but Irving's version of it, to quote a distinguished modern historian of Columbus, was "pure moonshine. Washington Irving, scenting his opportunity for a picturesque and moving scene," created a fictitious account of this "nonexistent university council" and "let his imagination go completely...the whole story is misleading and mischievous nonsense."
But now, why did the false accounts of Letronne and Irving become melded and then, as early as the 1860s, begin to be served up in schools and in schoolbooks as the solemn truth? The answer is that the falsehood about the spherical earth became a colorful and unforgettable part of a larger falsehood: the falsehood of the eternal war between science (good) and religion (bad) throughout Western history.
This vast web of falsehood was invented and propagated by the influential historian John Draper (1811-1882) and many prestigious followers, such as Andrew Dickson White (1832-1918), the president of Cornell University, who made sure that the false account was perpetrated in texts, encyclopedias, and even allegedly serious scholarship, down to the present day. A lively current version of the lie can be found in Daniel Boorstin's The Discoverers, found in any bookshop or library.

The reason for promoting both the specific lie about the sphericity of the earth and the general lie that religion and science are in natural and eternal conflict in Western society, is to defend Darwinism. The answer is really only slightly more complicated than that bald statement. The flat-earth lie was ammunition against the creationists. The argument was simple and powerful, if not elegant: "Look how stupid these Christians are. They are always getting in the way of science and progress. These people who deny evolution today are exactly the same sort of people as those idiots who for at least a thousand years denied that the earth was round. How stupid can you get?"

But that is not the truth.

andial

((( member )))
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
The flat-earth lie was ammunition against the creationists. The argument was simple and powerful, if not elegant: "Look how stupid these Christians are. They are always getting in the way of science and progress.

He nails it right there but read the whole article IMHO

BarnacleBob

Founding Member
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
The flat-earth lie was ammunition against the creationists. The argument was simple and powerful, if not elegant: "Look how stupid these Christians are. They are always getting in the way of science and progress.

He nails it right there but read the whole article IMHO
Even more interesting is that minority groups of ancient caucasions lived in & around groups of dark, red & yellow skins..... Explin that Mr Darwin!

https://www.goldismoney2.com/threads/the-theory-youve-never-heard-of-the-hamitic-hypothesis.208510/

G-khan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Could someone please explain live video that I saw. How did they broadcast from the moon.
Distance is over 250,000 miles. They had three batteries on that lander. What technology did they have then that it seems we don't have on earth now?

An analog UHF TV station has as much as 5,000,000 Watts effective power. VHF 7-13 they are around 100,000 Watts, for 2-6 they are around 20,000 Watts.

Low power stations might travel as little as 10 miles.

Where did they get the power?
Unless someone can point out the tech used I say moon landing for sure was Fake..
Do a search for what power requirements are for TV

Thecrensh

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Could someone please explain live video that I saw. How did they broadcast from the moon.
Distance is over 250,000 miles. They had three batteries on that lander. What technology did they have then that it seems we don't have on earth now?

An analog UHF TV station has as much as 5,000,000 Watts effective power. VHF 7-13 they are around 100,000 Watts, for 2-6 they are around 20,000 Watts.

Low power stations might travel as little as 10 miles.

Where did they get the power?
Unless someone can point out the tech used I say moon landing for sure was Fake..
Do a search for what power requirements are for TV

TV and radio stations use antenna that send the power radiating out in all directions...this requires huge amount of power to go 100 miles. If you take a lower power transmitter and hook it to a very special dish with a small beamwidth, you can focus that power much better to get longer distances. Additionally, in the Earth's atmosphere, there's a lot of attentuation (water vapor, clouds, smoke, etc.)...there's almost no attenuation in space. At least nothing that would weaken the signal....and when the beam comes back into the Earth's atmosphere, it's coming straight into the atmosphere, not lengthwise (more attenuation).

tigerwillow1

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter

TV and radio stations use antenna that send the power radiating out in all directions...this requires huge amount of power to go 100 miles. If you take a lower power transmitter and hook it to a very special dish with a small beamwidth, you can focus that power much better to get longer distances. Additionally, in the Earth's atmosphere, there's a lot of attentuation (water vapor, clouds, smoke, etc.)...there's almost no attenuation in space. At least nothing that would weaken the signal....and when the beam comes back into the Earth's atmosphere, it's coming straight into the atmosphere, not lengthwise (more attenuation).
Not to mention that moon-to-earth has unobstructed line-of-sight.

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
The crensh and tigerwillow1 beat me to it (I had started to type a response last night but did not finish). Anyway they hit the exact points I was going to make as anyone with a good amount of experience with radio would.

I have made radio contacts over satellites using a 5 watt hand-held radio on UHF/VHF and a directional antenna I can hold in my hand. It would be much harder to get a signal from me to a tower that is as far as those satellites were from me. The only reason that I could get my relatively weak signal to travel so far was because I had line of sight to the satellite and a directional antenna to focus the energy in the proper direction.

With line of sight and a huge receiving antenna on those radio bands, like the 64 meter dish at the Parkes Observatory, a directional signal can be picked up from a long ways away.

Thecrensh

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
The crensh and tigerwillow1 beat me to it (I had started to type a response last night but did not finish). Anyway they hit the exact points I was going to make as anyone with a good amount of experience with radio would.

I have made radio contacts over satellites using a 5 watt hand-held radio on UHF/VHF and a directional antenna I can hold in my hand. It would be much harder to get a signal from me to a tower that is as far as those satellites were from me. The only reason that I could get my relatively weak signal to travel so far was because I had line of sight to the satellite and a directional antenna to focus the energy in the proper direction.

With line of sight and a huge receiving antenna on those radio bands, like the 64 meter dish at the Parkes Observatory, a directional signal can be picked up from a long ways away.

I used to listen to college football games while living in Columbia, SC on a Memphis, TN AM station. The radio waves were bouncing around on the ionosphere and going much farther this way than direct line of sight...through the atmosphere with all its attenuation. If a low-power AM radio signal from an omni-directional antenna can come in strong several states away, then a directional antenna should be able to pump a signal across open space with no problem.

BarnacleBob

Founding Member
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
I used to listen to college football games while living in Columbia, SC on a Memphis, TN AM station. The radio waves were bouncing around on the ionosphere and going much farther this way than direct line of sight...through the atmosphere with all its attenuation. If a low-power AM radio signal from an omni-directional antenna can come in strong several states away, then a directional antenna should be able to pump a signal across open space with no problem.
AM radio & other radio signals will bounce off of the ionosphere under the right conditions providing long distance reception using low power.