• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Flat Fender Willys Jeeps, Anyone else have one?

mtnman

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Anyone else here got old jeeps? I've been restoring a 1950 CJ3A. Every part down to the nuts and bolts has been Repaired, rebuilt or replaced. It will be a virtually "New" Jeep when I'm done. It has some history. Eddie Arnold of the Grand ol Opry bough her new. He used her on his farm for 30 years. I am the third owner. All kinds of documentation, Letters, signatures, pictures, original titles.

Attachments

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Nice. I thought my 98 Cherokee was an old Jeep. Decades ago I had a 1950 Willys panel truck. It had 2WD and the F head engine. A friend of mine has one like yours, it's a 53 model I think, also has the F head engine. Looking at the firewall pics yours looks like a "high hood" model, therefore not a flathead?

mtnman

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Nice. I thought my 98 Cherokee was an old Jeep. Decades ago I had a 1950 Willys panel truck. It had 2WD and the F head engine. A friend of mine has one like yours, it's a 53 model I think, also has the F head engine. Looking at the firewall pics yours looks like a "high hood" model, therefore not a flathead?
The high hood designation is CJ3B, mine's a CJ3A short hood flathead engine. The picture angle looks high hood.

gringott

Killed then Resurrected
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Sweet!

Personally, I still think it was a mistake for the Army to eliminate the jeep.
It was cheap, reliable, could go anywhere, if it got stuck a couple of grunts could push it out. Easy to air transport, really a mechanical mule. Easy to work on too.

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
The high hood designation is CJ3B, mine's a CJ3A short hood flathead engine. The picture angle looks high hood.
The F head wasn't much of an improvement over the flathead anyway. You get a burnt exhaust valve and you still have to strip the block naked.

Hystckndle

GETWHAT'SYOURS
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter