• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Florida residents in uproar as scientists prepare to release 750 million genetically modified mosquitoes

edsl48

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Jamie Johnson
Tue, April 27, 2021, 10:58 AM

Mosquito - Joao Paulo Burini / Moment RF

Mosquito - Joao Paulo Burini / Moment RF
Florida residents are furious as scientists prepare to release hundreds of millions of genetically modified mosquitoes into their communities.
The experiment, led by British biotech company Oxitec, will see around 750 million male mosquitoes sent out into the Florida Keys over the next two years in an attempt to control the population of an invasive, disease carrying species which has settled in the area.
But many residents are unhappy at being part of what one group called “a Jurassic Park experiment.”
The first wave of the project will see thousands of mosquitoes released at six locations this week.

The project has been launched to combat the Aedes aegypti mosquito, which makes up about four per cent of the mosquito population in the Keys but is responsible for virtually all mosquito-borne diseases transmitted to humans, including dengue, Zika and yellow fever. It can also transmit heartworm and other potentially deadly illnesses to pets and animals.
 Florida Keys - James Breeden

Florida Keys - James Breeden
Only female mosquitoes bite humans and pass on disease, because they need blood to produce eggs. Oxitec has modified the genes of male mosquitoes so that they carry a protein that will kill off any female offspring before they reach mature biting age.
Males, which only feed on nectar, will survive and pass on the genes.
The hope is that the modified male mosquitoes will breed with the existing wild female mosquitoes, slowly eliminating the Aedes aegypti population.
While the project has approval from the US Environmental Protection Agency, Barry Wray of the Florida Keys Environmental Coalition said: “People here in Florida do not consent to the genetically engineered mosquitoes or to being human experiments.”
Meagan Hull, a resident of Islamorada, told a council meeting: “I find this criminal, that we are being bullied into the experiment,” Futurism reported.
Earlier this year, dozens of protesters gathered outside the Murray Nelson Government and Cultural Arts Center in Key Largo, complaining that the full impact of the experiment could not be known. In a statement denouncing the project, environmental group Friends of the Earth said: "The release of genetically engineered mosquitoes will needlessly put Floridians, the environment and endangered species at risk in the midst of a pandemic."
But Oxitec said: "We have released over a billion of our mosquitoes over the years. There is no potential for risk to the environment or humans."
Oxitec said its modified mosquitoes have successfully provided significant suppression of the wild Aedes aegypti in other geographies and do not cause harm to beneficial insects like bees and butterflies.
Similar projects in the Brazilian city of Indaiatuba found that Oxitec’s mosquito suppressed the Aedes aegypti by up to 95 per cent in urban, dengue-prone environments following just 13 weeks of treatment, as compared to untreated control sites in the same city.

gnome

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

<SLV>

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Frankly, it "sounds" like a great idea. I wonder if these African mosquitoes will breed with the others?

Science has yet to find a single benefit mosquitoes contribute to our global ecology.

the_shootist

I identify as already vaccinated so I'm good!
Midas Member
Sr Midas Supporter +++
Reaction score
Scientists will get us all killed , that I'm certain of. They've earned a place on the People's Gallows ....and that right soon!

Last edited:

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
Jurassic Park "Chaos Theory"... "Life" finds a WAY AROUND the "program"...

One of several reasons I moved away from Florida... even though the Income Tax were an incentive to remain there...

kiffertom

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Frankly, it "sounds" like a great idea. I wonder if these African mosquitoes will breed with the others?

Science has yet to find a single benefit mosquitoes contribute to our global ecology.
they are food for other species!

Buck

Trying Something Different!
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score

specsaregood

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
What could go wrong?
Well in the 50's or a bit earlier the army corp of engineers got the bright idea of digging drainage ditches along the roads in the FL keys, thinking that the mosquitos couldnt breed in salt water, so everywhere there was standing fresh water, they dug it out more to let salt water in.

Guess what went wrong? Mosquitos have no problem whatsoever laying their larvae in salt water as long as it was stagnant. The net result? A great increase in the number of mosquitos in the keys.

the_shootist

I identify as already vaccinated so I'm good!
Midas Member
Sr Midas Supporter +++
Reaction score
Well in the 50's or a bit earlier the army corp of engineers got the bright idea of digging drainage ditches along the roads in the FL keys, thinking that the mosquitos couldnt breed in salt water, so everywhere there was standing fresh water, they dug it out more to let salt water in.

Guess what went wrong? Mosquitos have no problem whatsoever laying their larvae in salt water as long as it was stagnant. The net result? A great increase in the number of mosquitos in the keys.
So they really didn't do any effective testing before they rolled that 'solution' out then huh? (Reminds me of a certain vaccine )The government always has your protection and well being in mind. The problem is politicians are slimy, dumb ass-hats who have the common sense of an amoeba

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

specsaregood

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
So they really didn't do any effective testing before they rolled that 'solution' out then huh? (Reminds me of a certain vaccine )The government always has your protection and well being in mind. The problem is politicians are slimy, dumb ass-hats who have the common sense of an amoeba
A private person later on got the bright idea of building a massive bat house to deal with the mosquitos. He put it up on his island, populated it with thousands of bats. The bats flew away and never came back....

Buck

Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
A private person later on got the bright idea of building a massive bat house to deal with the mosquitos. He put it up on his island, populated it with thousands of bats. The bats flew away and never came back....
i did that with ladybugs in the garden, bought a whole container full, about a week ago

i looked yesterday, they're all hanging out at the neighbors house...

:summer:

jk, but, i've thought about that and began to laugh...nature doesn't always work the way we plan

specsaregood

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
i did that with ladybugs in the garden, bought a whole container full, about a week ago

i looked yesterday, they're all hanging out at the neighbors house...

:summer:

jk, but, i've thought about that and began to laugh...nature doesn't always work the way we plan
well at least you didnt' build them a massive ladybug house to leave you with empty, like this chap:
800px-Sugarloaf_Key_FL_Bat_Tower04.jpg

Buck

Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
well at least you didnt' build them a massive ladybug house to leave you with empty, like this chap:
800px-Sugarloaf_Key_FL_Bat_Tower04.jpg
oh my...

you could charge Rent with that structure

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Florida residents are in an uproar over this?? But no one, according to the mass media is in an uproar about people eating genetically modified foods or forced vaccinations that genetically modify humans?

Buck

Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
i'm still wondering what they did with all that dirt they dug out to make those canals...did they just toss it over into the low ground right next to the ditch?

i'm asking because:
Why can't they just fill in those canals?

specsaregood

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
i'm still wondering what they did with all that dirt they dug out to make those canals...did they just toss it over into the low ground right next to the ditch?

i'm asking because:
Why can't they just fill in those canals?
It wasnt dirt as there is almost no dirt in the keys. It is all old coral rock. They blasted and dug it out and the ground is porous, so the salt water comes right up. I'm not sure what they did with the old coral rock, probably ground it up to make roads or dumped it in the ocean.

Last edited:

gnome

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
they are food for other species!
Exactly, we don't have the foggiest idea of all the roles the mosquito plays in the web of life.
Food for fish, amphibians, birds, insects... and possibly many other roles.
And if one species disappears, something else will have to come in and fill the niche.

Look at the debacle with overuse of antibiotics in animal feed. Turns out all we were doing was breeding stronger antibiotic resistant strains of the same bacteria that now infect humans and are very difficult to treat.

gnome

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's Florida. Even the indians knew better than to try to inhabit most of the place.
The seminole never surrendered, tough MF'ers to survive there without screen windows.

specsaregood

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
The seminole never surrendered, tough MF'ers to survive there without screen windows.
If you want tough, you'd want to look into the Calusa Indians who lived all over south florida all the way back into the BC era.

Avalon

The most courageous act is to think for yourself
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
another day and another new nightmare, someone wake me up please.

<SLV>

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score

newmisty

Transcending the 5 Elements
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score