• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

For WWII history students, looks like Tom Hanks has nailed one

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++

I'm of the generation where my father was a WWII combatant, everybody's father was when I was growing up and I've always been fascinated with every aspect. The war was truly a world war with significant aspects in more arenas than I could easily count. The battle between the German submarines and the Allied convoys is a relatively little known but extraordinarily hard fought and supremely important portion of the war. If the Germans has managed to sever the sea lanes as they came VERY close to doing, the outcome of the war would have been different. The US wouldn't have been able to supply the Soviets or perform the build up in Britain that preceded the invasions of Africa, Sicily, Italy or France that ended the war.

keef

Пальто Crude
Midas Member
I have been inside a WWII German U-Boat, the U-505 and will always have more respect for the brave sailors of the Kriegsmarine than anything Tom Hanks could ever pretend to be. I am sure this movie is good, but I already found myself secretly rooting for the Germans.

Das letste U Boot 234

After a few Heinekens I can even understand what the Germans are saying.

Aurumag

Ag mirror of truth Aurum purity of mind
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Sounds like a great movie that I will never watch.

Too bad Tom Hanks is the star.

I might reconsider if the film had the face and voice of Mel Gibson super-imposed over the cranium of TH...

I very much enjoyed the movie Das Boot.

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
I have been inside a WWII German U-Boat, the U-505 and will always have more respect for the brave sailors of the Kriegsmarine than anything Tom Hanks could ever pretend to be. I am sure this movie is good, but I already found myself secretly rooting for the Germans.

I've been inside a couple of American WWII subs and have the highest respect for anyone who could do that. Read a number of books on WWII subs too. If you ever come upon a copy of the "The Wake of the Wahoo", incredibly good. For the sailors of American subs in the first couple of war years, I don't know how they mentally handled it, the incredible risk and privation along with an ineffective torpedo meant they did it for nothing. American torpedos very often didn't explode.

I'm claustrophobic and would have gone insane within a week.

Below: forward torpedo room in USS Drum, a Gato class US WWII era sub

USS Drum-WWII American Sub
by Tom, on Flickr

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I've been inside a couple of American WWII subs and have the highest respect for anyone who could do that. Read a number of books on WWII subs too. If you ever come upon a copy of the "The Wake of the Wahoo", incredibly good. For the sailors of American subs in the first couple of war years, I don't know how they mentally handled it, the incredible risk and privation along with an ineffective torpedo meant they did it for nothing. American torpedos very often didn't explode.

I'm claustrophobic and would have gone insane within a week.

Below: forward torpedo room in USS Drum, a Gato class US WWII era sub

USS Drum-WWII American Sub
by Tom, on Flickr
Nice shot.
I'm getting claustrophobic just looking at that thing!

keef

Пальто Crude
Midas Member
Sounds like a great movie that I will never watch.

Too bad Tom Hanks is the star.

I might reconsider if the film had the face and voice of Mel Gibson super-imposed over the cranium of TH...

I very much enjoyed the movie Das Boot.
Same here. In Chicago I knew Germans who had to live in Germany during the war as children and they were a hundred times better people than most children of warriors I have met that fought against them. Loyal, hard workers, tough as nails, never complained. No wonder why Hitler thought he could conquer the world with an army of them. I miss those old Germans more than most any 'white' person I ever met.

The Germans didnt have a very advanced sense of humor. That might have been their only downfall or they would have laughed their asses off first time Hitler shaved that stash to a nubbin.

A little somethin for that drunkin cigar/chompin Churchill and his jew loving friend Roosevelt.

Last edited:

gringott

"Veteran of the Battle of Knob Creek"
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Das letste U Boot 234

I think every Chicago skool kid has been in that sub at least once on a field trip. I can count at least three times I was in there.

Silver

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
I wish Thom Hanks wasnt such a cock sucking liberal. What's wrong with these people? Why are they so insane??
As a Hollywood makeup artist that lived in my small town told me (and she did big stars including doing the makeup for "Toostie"), when they see themselves on a 40 foot screen and everybody kisses their ass, it gets to them.

Mr Paradise

Midas Member
Midas Member
The movie was full of historical inaccuracies as expected, but at least it wasn’t another U-571.

The moon night is as black as ink
Off Hatteras the tankers sink
While sadly Roosevelt counts the score
some fifty thousand tons. Mohr

oldgaranddad

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
The movie was full of historical inaccuracies as expected, but at least it wasn’t another U-571.

The moon night is as black as ink
Off Hatteras the tankers sink
While sadly Roosevelt counts the score
some fifty thousand tons. Mohr
Agreed. Most of the ships in the convoy at that time would have been Nortaship (Norwegian in exile ships) insured by an insolvent British government.

the_shootist

Old Pasty White Guy
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Same here. In Chicago I knew Germans who had to live in Germany during the war as children and they were a hundred times better people than most children of warriors I have met that fought against them. Loyal, hard workers, tough as nails, never complained. No wonder why Hitler thought he could conquer the world with an army of them. I miss those old Germans more than most any 'white' person I ever met.

The Germans didnt have a very advanced sense of humor. That might have been their only downfall or they would have laughed their asses off first time Hitler shaved that stash to a nubbin.

A little somethin for that drunkin cigar/chompin Churchill and his jew loving friend Roosevelt.
Hitler wasn't wrong!

keef

Пальто Crude
Midas Member
If I were Hitler I would have waited for our nuclear physicists to develop the first atomic bomb to go along with our fleet of jet aircraft and V2 rockets

Too bad the man was an underachiever or we wouldn't be dealing with all this crap today.

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
I sympathize with the WWII Germans in a couple of respects, especially in respect to the Eastern front against the Soviets as that was one of the most brutal and hardest fought conflicts in human history. Das Boot is definitely on my list of best movies + I've read extensively about the about the period. In a biography about Col Hans Von Luck, one of the German top Panzer commanders, he had the bad "luck" to be captured by the Soviets. In a chapter devoted to his 10-year-long capture, he wrote of what a boon the captured Germans were to the Soviets, they were intelligent, skilled and diligent and were an absolute treasure of skill and competency to their captors.

But I can't get past the extermination camps.

My father, who was also intelligent, skilled and diligent, eventually earning 2 BS degrees and a MS degree in engineering. My father was an infantry platoon commander in the 101st Airborne in the Normandy invasion who got several field promotions along with a handfull of Purple Hearts and a Silver Star before a MG42 ended his career (and very nearly his life) at the Battle of the Bulge. So it's sorta hard for me to be enthusiastically pro German. BTW: When I ran my DNA, I mostly originate from that area of the world.

Last edited:

arminius

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
I wish Thom Hanks wasnt such a cock sucking liberal. What's wrong with these people? Why are they so insane??
Extreme entitlement. He's been on top entertainment for so long his hypocrisy is off the charts, and he doesn't have a clue, but he is positive he is correct.

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
I sympathize with the WWII Germans in a couple of respects, especially in respect to the Eastern front against the Soviets as that was one of the most brutal and hardest fought conflicts in human history. Das Boot is definitely on my list of best movies + I've read extensively about the about the period. In a biography about Col Hans Von Luck, one of the German top Panzer commanders, he had the bad "luck" to be captured by the Soviets. In a chapter devoted to his 10-year-long capture, he wrote of what a boon the captured Germans were to the Soviets, they were intelligent, skilled and diligent and were an absolute treasure of skill and competency to their captors.

But I can't get past the extermination camps.

My father, who was also intelligent, skilled and diligent, eventually earning 2 BS degrees and a MS degree in engineering. My father was an infantry platoon commander in the 101st Airborne in the Normandy invasion who got several field promotions along with a handfull of Purple Hearts and a Silver Star before a MG42 ended his career (and very nearly his life) at the Battle of the Bulge. So it's sorta hard for me to be enthusiastically pro German. BTW: When I ran my DNA, I mostly originate from that area of the world.
extermination camps? the ones that killed the germans? or the fake ones about soap..lampshades and many other ridiculous yarns

history has not been kind to the pack of lies that were/are being spun about that

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
extermination camps? the ones that killed the germans? or the fake ones about soap..lampshades and many other ridiculous yarns

history has not been kind to the pack of lies that were/are being spun about that
No matter right now exactly who was being killed in the extermination camps as much as the camps did exist and slaughtered by the million. You've seen the pictures of the rows on rows of cremation ovens and the heaps of emaciated bodies. My Dad was in the 101st Airborne that liberated some of the camps. Though my Dad was in a hospital when the liberations happened, a lot of his buddies who I met years later saw it and described it to me. Including the Sergeant who saved my Dad's life by running with my Dad's bullet riddled body slung over his shoulder back through the same field of fire that nailed him in the first place. I'm inclined to believe that guy.

No matter who was being killed or for what reason, the camps were the purest evil. Unless of course the camps are meant for progressives and radical leftist Dims. I might could get behind them then. :-)

Silver

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling

silver solution

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
No matter right now exactly who was being killed in the extermination camps as much as the camps did exist and slaughtered by the million. You've seen the pictures of the rows on rows of cremation ovens and the heaps of emaciated bodies. My Dad was in the 101st Airborne that liberated some of the camps. Though my Dad was in a hospital when the liberations happened, a lot of his buddies who I met years later saw it and described it to me. Including the Sergeant who saved my Dad's life by running with my Dad's bullet riddled body slung over his shoulder back through the same field of fire that nailed him in the first place. I'm inclined to believe that guy.

No matter who was being killed or for what reason, the camps were the purest evil. Unless of course the camps are meant for progressives and radical leftist Dims. I might could get behind them then. :-)
I have read what Patton said. Yep some camps very bad but no way millions murdered. Patton even stated the Germans he was fighting had not eaten in 3 to 5 days. People were starving. There are famous pictures of neatly stacked dead bodies at a camp and it was blamed on Germans. Well Jewish survivor said it was the British air force that killed all those people and American soldiers came in and staged the bodies. It got blamed on the Germans. I cannot remember what the British air force thought the camp was?

silver solution

Gold Member
Gold Chaser

Do not believe every thing you see in pictures.
ANNE FRANK'S STEP-SISTER EVA SCHLOSS ADMITS PHOTOS OF SOVIET LIBERATION OF AUSCHWITZ ARE FAKE.
https://www.bitchute.com/video/DnMPPMGpm1sv/

keef

Пальто Crude
Midas Member
I wasn't there, so I am not going to claim anything for either side. Too many people do that and it is just embarrassing if you are actually part of an event that somehow gets world wide public attention, only it happens in your own back yard and you realize for the first time how tragically manipulated public opinion is today. Total strangers claim to know more than the guy who saw the shit go down with his own eyes. Googlemania.

I learned more from returning Viet Nam vets, when I actually could get them to talk about things you don't even see in the movies, than any history book.

Americans today remind me of the typical rich kids, rich only because their rich father set them up but they themselves never fought a war, or cleared the land or paid the price for what we all enjoy today. Nothing wrong with that, but it doesn't build much character, often a false sense of pride that doesn't hold up in a real battle.

So I am not pro-anything anymore except pro the truth, the whole truth and nothing but THE TRUTH. And I definitely avoid the mobs who know it all,. Googlemaniacs.

Hubris killed Hitler too. And his crystal meth habit didn't help much either. Read "Mein Kampf" and Adolph sounds exactly like many typical gimmer types today. Well, not so much gimmers, but some Trump supports I know back in 'Wisconsin would make Heinrich Himmler blush.

Of course there will be concentration camps before this is all sorted out. There already are, as we are already forced to wear a mask instead of a armband with a blue star of David today.

Same game, different players. Hail Caesar! In fact,, we are witnessing the Fall of the Republic and the emergence of the Revived Roman Empire.

Oh sorry, I falsely assumed there were educated folks online today. I hate it when I waste time here. Here comes the mob.

Like Rossana Rosana Dana famously said, JUST FORGET IT.
1596387136265.png