• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Foreclosures are on the rise. Here’s what that says about the housing market

Oldmansmith

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
One thing I would be looking at is how each country handled lockdown. I think Australia and Canada surprised the world.
Sure surprised me, I have been to Australia and New Zealand and always thought that they would be a great SHTF escape. No longer,

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Some of these countries have low taxes or costs of living, but its impossible to bring much with you. Something like a computer or a phone will cost more there because of the taxes.
In Chile you can bring a container in tax free if value I less than5k. The 5k is based on yard sale prices not new so basically you say everything is under 5k.
This guy just said health insurance was 27.50 a month for him, his wife and son. Son needed an emergency appendectomy and out of pocket was 0. I haven't been to a Dr in years but as I age I am sure I will need one eventually. Whatever the health insurance cost is I'm sure I can afford it.

Casey Jones

Train left the station...
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Wow, you have put a lot of thought into this. I vote Portugal :) I think visiting is a great idea. You will get a first hand look. The timing is tricky though. I look for real issues to start late summer and early fall. Its a huge decision. Too bad we don't have a crystal ball. I do know one thing. I don't want to do SHTF is a cold climate.. nope.
You're correct; but doing SHTF on an island subject to tropical storms...nono. There won't be the public money or governmental will to rescue casualties.

Add to that, tropical diseases we're not accustomed to - trench foot, malaria, ticks, probably Lyme Disease...I'm not sure I'd want to chance it. AND the hatred and envy - the locals have been conditioned by government, for 63 years, to hate any gringo - who caused all this poverty.

I would try Portugal or Spain first, but I don't have much confidence there, either. Mexico at least is connected by land to the Big PX - although that will be less and less an advantage as this mess deepens.

Has Cuba, or any Central American nation, hit bottom? I doubt it. We all thought Haiti had hit bottom under Baby Doc Duvalier. They hadn't; and I don't think they'll hit their bottom until they get into cannibalism.

How low will Cuba, or Argentina, go? I for one wouldn't want to find out.

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Sure surprised me, I have been to Australia and New Zealand and always thought that they would be a great SHTF escape. No longer,
New Zealand was VERY hard to emigrate to. Lots of interest in it.

Little did we know...those of us who didn't stand a chance, we were the lucky ones.

Fiat Metaler

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score

I had friends in Miami whose parents escaped from Cuba. They had relatives who were political prisoners (heck - I have a relative in the U.S. who is a Jan 6 political prisoner, but that's another story).

Still, Chile under Pinochet was worse than all of them put together. Ditto Serbia. And up until recently Ukraine was a place to think about.

Not trying to dissuade you; just pointing out that there are no guarantees and things change. A rolling stone grows no moss.

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I had friends in Miami whose parents escaped from Cuba. They had relatives who were political prisoners (heck - I have a relative in the U.S. who is a Jan 6 political prisoner, but that's another story).

Still, Chile under Pinochet was worse than all of them put together. Ditto Serbia. And up until recently Ukraine was a place to think about.

Not trying to dissuade you; just pointing out that there are no guarantees and things change. A rolling stone grows no moss.
I'm not going there. Not sure where I'm going, if anywhere.

But I'd sooner go to Mexico. Even that's not much of a safe-haven, though...seems there's no escape.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
czech republic bitchez........lol

Get is squared away cigarlover, and I will come down the 1st few months and help you get settled. I am just about over life here the daily grind, and could use a good working vacation.

:truck2:

I can be fairly useful when I want to be. I can drive a stick.

Avalon

The most courageous act is to think for yourself
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

But I'd sooner go to Mexico. Even that's not much of a safe-haven, though...seems there's no escape.
no escape but we do know cities are not the place to be.

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
You're correct; but doing SHTF on an island subject to tropical storms...nono. There won't be the public money or governmental will to rescue casualties.

Add to that, tropical diseases we're not accustomed to - trench foot, malaria, ticks, probably Lyme Disease...I'm not sure I'd want to chance it. AND the hatred and envy - the locals have been conditioned by government, for 63 years, to hate any gringo - who caused all this poverty.

I would try Portugal or Spain first, but I don't have much confidence there, either. Mexico at least is connected by land to the Big PX - although that will be less and less an advantage as this mess deepens.

Has Cuba, or any Central American nation, hit bottom? I doubt it. We all thought Haiti had hit bottom under Baby Doc Duvalier. They hadn't; and I don't think they'll hit their bottom until they get into cannibalism.

Cuba has one of the best systems to deal with hurricanes. They move a million people out of harms way in a moments notice. Since they get no outside support after Russia dissolved they have been on their own. China steps in a little as well as Venezuela but for the most part they are on their own. Once the fertilizers stopped they quickly got into organic farming and permaculture. One thing they won't do is starve.

Portugal was attractive at 1st but a lot of the info I was seeing was from the perspective of people going there from the UK and other places in the EU. They can move around freely so not hard for them to buy land and just move there. It's a lot more involved for people outside the EU.

I did spend some time in Spain in 2005. Had a GF there in Galicia. Northwest corner. I liked it there but very expensive even then. I spent some time in the local cities there and the architecture was amazing. Really nice for a city dweller. Cities aren't my cup of tea though and I think cities around the world are going to get very crazy in the initial stages of this collapse.

I think Haiti is a special case. Typical for the race that infests that place, they just don't seem to be able to do anything for themselves. Thats one shithole I never wanted to visit.

I start with the premise that the dollar is going to collapse. However before it does the world will rush into dollars as the safe haven, driving the dollar even higher initially. A strong dollar means cheaper prices internationally if your buying in dollars. So there is a window of opportunity there before it crashes. Unfortunately the US has shown that it is using the dollar as a weapon now and the rest of the world is paying attention. Once China and Russia get their system in place we will see a mass exodus from the dollar. Gazillions of dollars will come rushing back to the US causing hyperinflation like Zimbabwe. Once the US loses reserve status we are a 3rd world country and only option is to print like everyone else. The fall from grace in the US is going to be very ugly. We have 40-50 million on food stamps already. millions more on SS and gov assistance programs. Millions more relying on Gov pensions in retirement.
On a scale from 1-10, 10 being the best or highest, the US is up around 9 or 10. Cuba is down around 1 or 2. During the collapse everyone goes down to 1 or 2. Thats going to be a huge adjustment for the US. For many other countries that ar more agrarian in nature I would say it's going to be bad but not nearly as big an adjustment as in the US.
If Claus Swabb gets his way and people will own nothing and be happy about it, then that will be a worldwide event. I'm not sure they can pull that off in our lifetime but I also would have never imagined the absolute worst candidates ever being put in place to run this country. I think it's also become clear to those paying attention that these clowns were put in place to destroy what was left of the American way of life.

I think if you look at Argentina and Venezuela you get a look at what collapse looks like. Now imagine that with 40-50 million who also rely on gov to survive. Imagine if you had a media and political class that does nothing but divide the entire population of people who are, for the most part, the most heavily armed people of any country on the planet. As a nation of 350 million we sit on our asses and do nothing as we watch the left burn this place to the ground.
In contrast in Chile they raised subway fares and road tolls and 400,000 took to the streets to protest.

There is no Utopia on this planet anymore unless there is and whoever is there is keeping it a secret.

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score

Mexico has gotten expensive with all the ex pats there now too. Especially in the desirable areas. Personally I enjoyed it there in Cancun. I found the people to be very warm and welcoming. easy to send a smile your way and very helpful. I stayed in the city last couple times I was there. I prefer to hang out with locals versus other tourists. I was on a bus once going to the wrong side of town. a kid about 12 yrs old walked over to me on the bas and asked where I was going. I said just riding around. He said I don't want to be going much further and that it wasntsafe. I thanked him and got off the nest stop and got on the next bus going to the other direction. In the evening I would walk to Starbucks, had to walk about a mile or more to get there. through the various neighborhoods. The encounters with the locals were always very friendly.
My last trip there I stayed in an apartment and the house next door was cartel owned. Very loud parties til 4 Am. I asked how I could get an invite and the people just said I don't want one. LOL.

Bottom line, people are the same no matter where you go. There are safe spots and dangerous spots all over the world. Do you want to live in Detroit or Chicago or SF? In any country there will be places to avoid. Inmost countries people are much more friendly than in the US.

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Fiat,
Spent a couple of hours with the top agent for a national homebuilder yesterday. She is a selling machine, lives it breathes it... she told us how factors external to normal discussion were causing fall throughs on new contracts. One persons twenty something son dropped dead, another young couple were buying with granny but she is now terminal, two others qualified last September but the final credit check kicked them out on percentages. One agent with one perspective but it mirrors what I'm hearing, which is that overall inflation coupled with higher payments is eliminating some and causing many others to pause... pause in this market is as good as a non participant.

Now to support your position, three homes have sold without listing in our sub division. Buyer agent handling both sides at 3%.. So technically the market is still roaring. What I've been trying to convey is the future. The story is different and not nearly as many external market buyers driving prices.... Eventually we'll all know, but taxes and HOA increases are the latest hurdle. Some 25% +...

Gee, its almost like weve had a gigantic bioweapon unleashed that is killing people. The housing market will never recover in real terms in my lifetime. im hoping for 50 more years.

Last edited:

Lancers32

You know...the thing
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
One thing I would be looking at is how each country handled lockdown. I think Australia and Canada surprised the world.
Not many if any country handled the lockdown or the jab in a friendly way. If you want to get out the door is closing fast I wouldn't wait too much longer.

Lancers32

You know...the thing
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
They have made it nearly impossible to get precious metals out of the country. Your money might be frozen in US banks. At this point with the way the EU has handled the current mess I would avoid Europe.

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Bottom line, people are the same no matter where you go.
Could you name some of the White areas where White people are dangerous?

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
in baca county colorado the whites are dangerous also, if you fuck with them

WillA2

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
Most white folks, especially men, are dangerous. We just keep it in check. Until it's needed.

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Most white folks, especially men, are dangerous. We just keep it in check. Until it's needed.
Dangerous to those who are a threat.

Not dangerous to someone of, say, a different skin hue, or who has different quantities of FRNs in his wallet.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
I am mostly dangerous to myself and my liver. Once I fell down and hit my head, then everyone laughed because they thought I was faking. Once I passed out in the front yard and it rained on me, and noone came to see if I was alive.

profundity

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
They have made it nearly impossible to get precious metals out of the country. Your money might be frozen in US banks. At this point with the way the EU has handled the current mess I would avoid Europe.
What have they done to make it hard to leave with PM's? As far as I know you still only have to declare cash and valuables when you leave the US with them.

Lancers32

You know...the thing
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Just a 15% penalty at customs but how comfortable would you be taking any decent number of Gold coins out of the country at this point?

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Just a 15% penalty at customs but how comfortable would you be taking any decent number of Gold coins out of the country at this point?
Is that like an exit tax or something? Might be cheaper to just sell and rebuy when you get where your going but then again, maybe not.

Fiat Metaler

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score

If a cop or TSA in the airport find you with gold coins, odds are they will civil forfeit them and you will never get them back.

An airport is the last place I would go with bullion.

Lancers32

You know...the thing
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
If a cop or TSA in the airport find you with gold coins, odds are they will civil forfeit them and you will never get them back.

Well that was my point in the first place.

itsamess

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
I think if you look at Argentina and Venezuela you get a look at what collapse looks like. Now imagine that with 40-50 million who also rely on gov to survive. Imagine if you had a media and political class that does nothing but divide the entire population of people who are, for the most part, the most heavily armed people of any country on the planet. As a nation of 350 million we sit on our asses and do nothing as we watch the left burn this place to the ground.
In contrast in Chile they raised subway fares and road tolls and 400,000 took to the streets to protest.

There is no Utopia on this planet anymore unless there is and whoever is there is keeping it a secret.

CL the concern about self and the convenience driven lifestyle in the US IMHO is really the demise of this country. Otherwise smart people freely took something to "save their life" that they knew nothing about. Now Monkeypox next. What matters in life is what you are implying by going to another country. Surrounded by decent people like yourself, real food, a roof over your head is what matters most for individuals as well as families. Have good friends in and traveled EU a bit and my favorite was the poorest country of the group-Poland, for some of the very reasons you state. Not Utopia, but ag is big, people friendly and a simpler life. Even the Germans vacation there. Seemingly upside down thinking but not really.

EO 11110

(globohomo) reproduction plan
Survivor
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
First hand report houses are still being snapped up.

market is in the process of locking up. prices dont matter when there's no volume

the fading volume is going to hurt the whole industry....and thus, economy. guessing the states that are gaining population will be fine - while the losers will pay the toll

Last edited:

Rob

Reaction score
market is in the process of locking up. prices dont matter when there's no volume
There are more buyers than sellers, HANDS DOWN! Houses Is Gold EO sorry that is how it looks right now to me.

EO 11110

(globohomo) reproduction plan
Survivor
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
There are more buyers than sellers, HANDS DOWN! Houses Is Gold EO sorry that is how it looks right now to me.
that's the snapshot right now - people refusing to sell. the next shoe to drop will be demand destruction from recession and mtg rates

decades living in this part of greater houston - never seen so few properties for sale. there's a sellers' strike - imo, they dont want to sell because they dont want to buy in this market

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Eagle
Reaction score

Sailboat and lots of firearms you can go anywhere in the world. I would go to Antartica if I could tolerate the cold.

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
that's the snapshot right now - people refusing to sell. the next shoe to drop will be demand destruction from recession and mtg rates

decades living in this part of greater houston - never seen so few properties for sale. there's a sellers' strike - imo, they dont want to sell because they dont want to buy in this market
Here in White flight destination country, I don't want to sell because I don't want to buy. There isn't anything to buy. But the dynamics are different than greater Houston. People don't move to greater Houston because they're afraid of BLM. In the entire state of Montana there are only about 50 new listings a day, and I bet most of them are equity harvesting sales. I think they will sell to cash buyers if interest rates skyrocket. People need a place to live that isn't in Baltimore, Houston or Atlanta.

Rob

Reaction score

Don't see the demand destruction EO. Demographics, Immigration and people fleeing cities is the demand side. The supply side is boomers downsizing and new building. Way smaller IMHO

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Here in White flight destination country, I don't want to sell because I don't want to buy. There isn't anything to buy. But the dynamics are different than greater Houston. People don't move to greater Houston because they're afraid of BLM. In the entire state of Montana there are only about 50 new listings a day, and I bet most of them are equity harvesting sales. I think they will sell to cash buyers if interest rates skyrocket. People need a place to live that isn't in Baltimore, Houston or Atlanta.
You're going to see flight from some parts of Montana, soon.

I'm looking to be one. Californicators have come, and brought their problems with them. The incivility, the mental impairment...the worship of mine-ore-itties. The welcoming of BLM agitators and gang graffiti. Roadside and sidewalk trash, not to be believed...who drops half a DQ sundae on the sidewalk and leaves it, on one side? People who don't have appreciation for the money spent, and can't focus...do.

Renting an apartment has become an adventure - ALL of it, property-management companies insist, MUST be done through a website. They seem to rely on one website page writer - and none of my browsers (FF, Chrome, Chromium, Safari) work with it. Intro page loads but none of the HTML jumps work. My guess is, they're written for phones

Who but a data-tech autistic would make working-around-the-webpage-coding, THE most important thing? I'm here. Money. Want to rent your empty apartment...your hovel you're advertising for $800. NO...U MUST USE WEBSITE.

So I'm looking at RV parks, with possible plans to go south in the fall. THEY are all full! And not with tweakers - GOOD people, just like me, caught up in this Cost-Of-Home Hell.

Soon, very soon, the cities in Montana will be like the cities of Colorado. I knew when the homosexuals started appearing here in large numbers, it wouldn't be good. They did, shortly after I did...

Fiat Metaler

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score

I'm looking to be one. Californicators have come, and brought their problems with them. The incivility, the mental impairment...the worship of mine-ore-itties. The welcoming of BLM agitators and gang graffiti. Roadside and sidewalk trash, not to be believed...who drops half a DQ sundae on the sidewalk and leaves it, on one side? People who don't have appreciation for the money spent, and can't focus...do.

Renting an apartment has become an adventure - ALL of it, property-management companies insist, MUST be done through a website. They seem to rely on one website page writer - and none of my browsers (FF, Chrome, Chromium, Safari) work with it. Intro page loads but none of the HTML jumps work. My guess is, they're written for phones

Who but a data-tech autistic would make working-around-the-webpage-coding, THE most important thing? I'm here. Money. Want to rent your empty apartment...your hovel you're advertising for $800. NO...U MUST USE WEBSITE.

So I'm looking at RV parks, with possible plans to go south in the fall. THEY are all full! And not with tweakers - GOOD people, just like me, caught up in this Cost-Of-Home Hell.

Soon, very soon, the cities in Montana will be like the cities of Colorado. I knew when the homosexuals started appearing here in large numbers, it wouldn't be good. They did, shortly after I did...

Let me guess, you are in the greater Kalispell/Flat Head Lake area.

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Although I agree that conditions will get worse, I don't think they're getting better elsewhere. If people want to leave Montana after cashing in on the real estate boom, they will be looking for better destinations, not worse. In the world of destination selection, the game is finding the lesser of evils. A few cashed out boomers might head for Arizona, but when they find out what it's like living around Mexicans, most will regret it. I suspect most will just stay here, maybe downsize.