• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

From the 'That's Nice!' Dept

Scorpio

Скорпион
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
sunsagun, that could be a bugger

must be time to dig up more funding sources,

all the dead weight needs xmas presents

NASA Scientist Says Earth Is Due for ‘Extinction-Level’ Event

14 / 18

Daily Intelligencer

Adam K. Raymond 17 hrs ago

© Andrzej Wojcicki

Here comes the boom. Earth is due for an “extinction-level” event from the sky, and even if we see it coming, we won’t be able to do anything about it, a NASA scientist said Monday.

Speaking at a meeting in San Francisco, Dr. Joseph Nuth of NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center said large asteroids and comets, the type that could wipe out civilization, are extremely rare, but tend to hit “50 to 60 million years apart.” Given that a comet wiped out the dinosaurs 65 million years ago, one could argue that we’re slightly past “due.”

“The biggest problem, basically, is there’s not a hell of a lot we can do about it at the moment,” he added.

But maybe there could be. Nuth cited a close encounter in 2014, when a comet passed perilously close to Mars. It wasn’t spotted until 22 months before it nearly reached the planet, which Nuth says isn’t enough time to fend off a similar threat to Earth. That’s why he’s suggesting NASA build a rocket to be kept in storage and deployed when we know the big one is on the way. If such a rocket were kept tuned up and could be ready to launch within a year, Nuth said, it “could mitigate the possibility of a sneaky asteroid coming in from a place that’s hard to observe, like from the sun.”

NASA had nothing to say about the possibility of non-astronomical “extinction-level” events.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...extinction-level’-event/ar-AAlwVGg?li=BBnbfcL

Irons

Deep Sixed
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Burnie supporter then turned to klinton and finally Jill. The world is indeed over for these flakes. . :lashing:

BarnacleBob

GIM Founding Member & Mod.
Founding Member
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
"the type that could wipe out civilization, are extremely rare, but tend to hit “50 to 60 million years apart.” Given that a comet wiped out the dinosaurs 65 million years ago"
I say "Prove it!" All of the statement. Dinos, Comets wiping out life, & the time line! The leech cant prove any of it.

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
One thing is certain. I am not going to worry about it. If the big one comes, it comes. Nothing you can do about it.

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Earth will be incinerated anyway when the sun expands and then explodes. No escape from that unless you go to another galaxy.

Professur

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Funny ... I've been listening to Lucifer's Hammer all day.

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
I think the author is correct, but not from outer space.

I think financial weapons of mass destruction, i.e., derivatives will take out civilization first...

Professur

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
It's on YouTube. Dunno the reader, but he's pretty good. Lots of different voices.
I'll check it out. I assumed it was an audio book. Usually, those are just one reader/narrator.

Professur

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Allow me

I've been using a wonderful bit of software called Hyper for YouTube (can be had at the windows store for free) that let's you listen without the commercial interruptions, and even download and save videos, or convert and save just the audio as an MP3. Nice bit of kit, even if YouTube does try to hash it every couple of months

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Thanks Professur! I'll check that out. The audiobook and the app. This story is a great read and I'll bet it will be fun to listen to.

GOLDZILLA

Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus
Midas Member
I think that they see no revenue coming in from their global warming b.s. with Trump, so now they gotta find a new angle.

Mujahideen

Black Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
When the meteor comes I hope it hits me right on my forehead.

Only the Japanese have a society that could handle such an event. Everyone including myself is going to go to kill, rape and raid mode.

mayhem

Другая перспектива
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
I bought LH from Amazon for my Kindle tablet 2 maybe 3 years ago when they were offering the audiobook for a buck more. While I do not purchase much from Amazon now that they collect sales tax they are no cheaper than other onlinetalers. I'm a big reader usually 150+ books a year. The tablet readers are great. I have the one I mentioned above and a eInk reader that I got from Kobo. I also have conversion software that will convert amazon's format to ePub for the other readers. And because I still do eBook formatting I format in ePub and then use Amazon's free converter to see what the results are in all their different formats.

Anyone got a tome ya need to format to eBook? I'll do it for free if you are not in a super hurry. (this offer is for GIM's only) Of course you can upload a .doc, .docx, or Open Office document to any of the book outlets, but they all format differently. Most authors who actually sell books use a formatter person, not just sending a .doc file and hoping for the best. The above offer will expire when I do. :-)

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I'd love to have you do some antique history books but, they are analogue. Not for profit but, because I hate that they will eventually go out of existence.

mayhem

Другая перспектива
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
You could scan each page, though I did that for a friend (386 pages) and it was so time consuming, I'll never do it again. Probably because the OCR software I was using wasn't the best.

I do know how you feel. I have some books that were written and published in the late 1800's that really need to be converted to digital, as I feel that when they are gone so is the truth that is within them. One of my peers is in his mid 30's promises to take good care of them. I have passed most of my library onto him already, and I truly believe they are in good hands, and he now has a new son to pass them on to.

skychief

enthusiastic stacker
Silver Miner
When that [ELE] day comes, a lot of children will be conceived. The whole world will be feckin' like rabbits on the rooftops.

But few if none of those infants will be born. Sad.:tongue:

brosil

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
You could scan each page, though I did that for a friend (386 pages) and it was so time consuming, I'll never do it again. Probably because the OCR software I was using wasn't the best.

I do know how you feel. I have some books that were written and published in the late 1800's that really need to be converted to digital, as I feel that when they are gone so is the truth that is within them. One of my peers is in his mid 30's promises to take good care of them. I have passed most of my library onto him already, and I truly believe they are in good hands, and he now has a new son to pass them on to.
I've got some of those books myself. Sometimes, I can find them on Gutenberg and that eases my mind.

Aurumag

Dimly lit. Highly reflective
Midas Member
Site Supporter
One thing is certain. I am not going to worry about it. If the big one comes, it comes. Nothing you can do about it.
Maybe I can prep for an earthquake, but the only preps for an ELE come from the Good LORD himself.

andial

use default title
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Anyone remember in the nineties after the soviet crack up and the first Iraq war when we ran out of enemies and the media started writing articles about space threats our military might have to protect us from? good times.