• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

German buys cabinet, finds gold bars hidden inside

... and turns them in to the police.

... a man from Bremen found three gold bars worth €83,500 euros in an old kitchen cabinet.

He had bought the cabinet at a furniture exchange, a spokeswoman for the interior senator of the Hanseatic city in northwest Germany said on Tuesday.

The bars - a total of 2.5 kg of gold - were probably hidden for decades in an envelope on the back wall of a drawer.

They currently have an estimated value of around €83,500 - according to the Senate. And the man who found it will not walk away empty handed; he will receive around €2,500.
https://www.thelocal.de/20180920/treasure

So the pic doesn't really show depth very well. I can't tell the thickness of the 3 bars, but it seems odd that one bar has smaller dimensions than the other two, yet is from the same Mint and is stamped with the same 1000 which I presume is indicative of the weight (1000 grams per bar). Article claims the three bars totaled 2.5 kg. Either the small bar is mis-stamped or the article misstated the total weight.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
That guy is an idiot!

2500 g of gold converts to 80.37 troy oz

is that math correct?

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
EUROPEAN THAT EXPLAINS E..V..E..R..Y..T..H..I..N..G.
:surrender: :stfu: :gold:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
An obvious TV consumer that was convinced that that crap is just an antiquated barbaric relic for historians and whacky preppers.

GOLDBRIX

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Why can't I or one of my Gimmer Family Members ever be the recipient of finding such a fortune.

Hell, I fall into a bucket of Tits and come out sucking my own thumb. No Luck I tell ya.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Why can't I or one of my Gimmer Family Members ever be the recipient of finding such a fortune.

Hell, I fall into a bucket of Tits and come out sucking my own thumb. No Luck I tell ya.
Hi brother!

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame

oldgaranddad

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
To the guy's defense, the law in the EU are quite draconian about this. Given the legal circumstances I think he did the correct thing. The downside outweighed the upside for him (and most average Joe's who do not have connections to take advantage of the situation).

That is why I am glad I live here and not there.

Treasure Searcher

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Gold bar ~ hacksaw ~ hammer = small gold nuggets.
There has got to be places in germany that buy scrap Gold..
That would be his best bet to keep it. Keeping his mouth shut would have paid off. Then again, if he wanted to keep it, a course in boating safety would help him prevent a boating accident.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
GIM Hall Of Fame
That would be his best bet to keep it. Keeping his mouth shut would have paid off. Then again, if he wanted to keep it, a course in boating safety would help him prevent a boating accident.
There was another report out of somewhere in europa where some carpenters found a bag of Gold coins doing a renovation.
They were selling them in lots of like $20,000, $18,000 etc big numbers. They got caught because their banks wondered why they were depositing such big checks all of a sudden. This isn't rocket surgery, folks!

Silver

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Silver

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
After my gre

My grandmother gave me a chest of drawers that was my great uncles, and when I was carry the piece to the truck without the drawers, I noticed something stuffed into the groves inside the casework. After I got it home and inspected it, turned out to be $20 dollar bills from the 40's and 50's - about $300 worth. My uncle used to roll his own cigarettes and the $20's were rolled up tight like a pro.

I haven't found much else.

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter

Who says we haven't? I mean, we would be smart enough not to advertise it if we had so no way to ever know.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Who says we haven't? I mean, we would be smart enough not to advertise it if we had so no way to ever know.
I don't know, they say loose lips sink ships and we've had quite a number of wrecks round here...

__^___^__^__^__^_^__^_^_^_^_^__^__^__^__^__^_^_^_^_^_
1538110537765.png

andial

((( member )))
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Germans are smart people.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
NOTE TO ANY KRAUT:

When you find a big bar of gold... get yourself a hacksaw and a ball-peen hammer. Cut off pieces, hammer them into small chalices, and yer home free.

BONUS: It would be fun to do, and you will get MUCH higher than spot.

Joe King

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Who says we haven't?
Several years ago I bought a small framed picture at an antique shop for $25 and found $300 in cash within it. Does that count? lol

I mean, we would be smart enough not to advertise it if we had so no way to ever know.
Exactly. Even GOLDBRIX would know that too. In fact, I'm kinda thinkin' his whole, "ain't no luck but bad luck for me" story sounds fishy. He prolly found a motherload somewhere and is tryin' to throw us off the scent. lol

GOLDBRIX

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Several years ago I bought a small framed picture at an antique shop for $25 and found $300 in cash within it. Does that count? lol
YES!!!

J.K.
Exactly. Even GOLDBRIX would know that too. In fact, I'm kinda thinkin' his whole, "ain't no luck but bad luck for me" story sounds fishy. He prolly found a motherload somewhere and is tryin' to throw us off the scent. lol
:gold: whistle: :shit happens:

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Well, I found a metal briefcase full of money from lotsa countries... mostly USD, though.

I got it back to him. (His friggin' LIFE was in there. He'd left it on the roof of his car.

GOLDBRIX

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
GMA had a snippet today a GOODWILL Store manager found $50K in $100.00s in a box of clothes. Somehow the donor was figured out. A Daughter-In-Law of the widow who had just lost her husband had dropped off boxes of the husband's things and had not checked the boxes or items.
Checking the receipt GOODWILL had the name and address and the manager called them about the money. DIL was back there in a flash.
Good man,
WOW!