• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Get to the coppah!

needler

Silver Member
Silver Miner
I found a stator windings from an electric motor that I thought was copper. I found it metal detecting, buried like a foot deep. I had it sitting around for years and finally decided to try to take it apart.

Glad I checked out the metal purity before attempting a long and hard extraction. The majority of it is copper plated or insulated. Either way it scratches to silver. Someone told me it can't be plated because the wingding would short circuit and not create a electric magnetic field.

Saved my self a long headache.

With precious metals dealers selling copper bullion nowadays and people buying copper bullion at 30 X melt value. I just wanted to try to get some for some projects without having to buy it. I have a old broken CRT TV to try to scrap next.

Take me to the COPPAH!

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
My copper stash consist of over 50 rolls (250' per roll) of MC Cable, smallest gauge is 12/2 - and up to 6. Bought a retiring electrician's inventory.

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Either way it scratches to silver.
Confused.
Do you mean alumunum?
Pretty common now days for large appliance motors to have aluminum windings.
Always pisses me off.

Fatrat

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Is it money?, is it worth scrapping?, easy way?

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Alu-minium I bet too.

needler

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Yes I meant aluminum not silver. If it was mainly copper I would try to extract it. If anything is copper it's the thinnest gauge wires and I'm not spending all that time for that amount of copper.

Is is worth money as far as time invested to resale value? Probably not. I'm just trying to find some for free for some projects short of buying copper bullion online or walking into a hardware store buying a item just for it's base metal content. I just won't feel right paying for copper.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I went on a TV collecting spree a while back seeking mostly rear projection units to get the Fresnel lenses. They also have some cool coppah pahts and funky mirrors too!
I also scrapped some crt's cause they seems to fall from the skies these days. I 'm a sucker for tearing stuff apart anyway.
I'd hate to scrap my snakes and dope azz windings! Missing from the pic are the little versions intricate windings.

coppah.jpg

Treasure Searcher

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
I collect copper. People give me old appliances, etc. Sort of like an obsession. If I see someone throwing something out, I ask for it. If I cannot transport the item at the time, I ask if I can cut off the power cord. Usually carry a wire snippers in my pickup.

davycoppitt

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Some of the cool finds over the past 2 years as a HVAC tech.

First pic the small one is a 10ft 3/4 inch pipe and 40ft of new 2" type L. Was left over from a large refrigeration job and was told to get rid of it.

Second is a large Brass header off a Raypak boiler. Weighs about 40 lbs

Final is 15% silver brazing rods I find on roofs or jobs. Its amazing how much people waste of the stuff. Takes 10 seconds to burn a small one onto a large one so you never have to waste it.
copper 5.JPG
copper 2.JPG
copper.JPG

Last edited:

needler

Silver Member
Silver Miner
I can't find copper for the life of me with two metal detectors lol. My coworkers don't share the stuff. Was the good stuff too. Shiny bright pipe #1. Get me to the coppah!!

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
This is tonight's haul. About 5 lbs from one HEAVY sumbitch Sony CRT. Pardon my sloppy cursive...GIM

CRT COPPAH.jpg

needler

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Nice. I wonder If I can go to a scrap yard that has ovens and refrigerators to scrap for the copper. My dad just threw away a oven and a CRT TV in the last two weeks. SOB.

My dad has a whole lot of wires he said I can scrap. I don't want to destroy good speaker wire and co-axle cables and AV cable just to scrap for copper. At the same time my dad said there useless will never use them and they are almost unsalable.

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++

needler

Silver Member
Silver Miner
How did you end up with purple copper? Is it coated with something?

All I managed to scrap so far is a wire from a broken vacuum cleaner. Only got 20 grams lol. Hey it's better then ordering copper bullion. I squished it and formed it more compact.

Is this #1 bright or #2 copper? Also is it pure copper? No impurities?

Last edited:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Nice. I wonder If I can go to a scrap yard that has ovens and refrigerators to scrap for the copper. My dad just threw away a oven and a CRT TV in the last two weeks. SOB.

My dad has a whole lot of wires he said I can scrap. I don't want to destroy good speaker wire and co-axle cables and AV cable just to scrap for copper. At the same time my dad said there useless will never use them and they are almost unsalable.
Craigslist is a trove of free tv's. Mind you the amount of coppah in a lot of tv's is only gonna be worth a few bucks so value your time with that in mind. Microwaves are only good for cool parts like the tray motor, some micro switches and the most valuable, the high voltage transformer, which I've collected specifically for burning wood ala Lichtenstein:

http://waynesthisandthat.com/Fractal Lictenberg Figure Wood Burning with Electricity.html

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
How did you end up with purple copper? Is it coated with something?

All I managed to scrap so far is a wire from a broken vacuum cleaner. Only got 20 grams lol. Hey it's better then ordering copper bullion. I squished it and formed it more compact.

Is this #1 bright or #2 copper? Also is it pure copper? No impurities?
I don't know what kind of wire you've got there. I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to electronicals and what-not. I did find out what the enameled wire is after you asked and I went digging:

Insulation[edit]
Although described as "enameled", enameled wire is not, in fact, coated with either a layer of enamel paint nor with vitreous enamel made of fused glass powder. Modern magnet wire typically uses one to four layers (in the case of quad-film type wire) of polymer film insulation, often of two different compositions, to provide a tough, continuous insulating layer. Magnet wire insulating films use (in order of increasing temperature range) polyvinyl formal (Formvar), polyurethane, polyamide, polyester, polyester-polyimide, polyamide-polyimide (or amide-imide), and polyimide.[3] Polyimide insulated magnet wire is capable of operation at up to 250 °C. The insulation of thicker square or rectangular magnet wire is often augmented by wrapping it with a high-temperature polyimide or fiberglass tape, and completed windings are often vacuum impregnated with an insulating varnish to improve insulation strength and long-term reliability of the winding.

Self-supporting coils are wound with wire coated with at least two layers, the outermost being a thermoplastic that bonds the turns together when heated.

Other types of insulation such as fiberglass yarn with varnish, aramid paper, kraft paper, mica, and polyester film are also widely used across the world for various applications like transformers and reactors. In the audio sector, a wire of silver construction, and various other insulators, such as cotton (sometimes permeated with some kind of coagulating agent/thickener, such as beeswax) and polytetrafluoroethylene (Teflon) can be found. Older insulation materials included cotton, paper, or silk, but these are only useful for low-temperature applications (up to 105°C).

For ease of manufacturing, some low-temperature-grade magnet wire has insulation that can be removed by the heat of soldering.[4] This means that electrical connections at the ends can be made without stripping off the insulation first.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'll tell ya something that's cool though, I pulled apart my in line desiccant filter for my air compressor and scavenged a couple pieces of sintered bronze.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Recently mined from some projection TV parts:

IMG_20180918_191053011[1].jpg