• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Gillette ‘Shifting The Spotlight’ After Losing $8 Billion Amid ‘Toxic Masculinity’ Backlash

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I bought a "Harry's" razor, cheaper & BETTER ! :2 thumbs up:

Strawboss

Home Improvement Sales Trainee...
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
With such an overwhelming response to the Gillette ad campaign - you would think the Democrats would figure out that its definitely a losing issue...

Not too bright those people...not too bright...

oldgaranddad

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
When are they going to boot the loser of a CEO at Gillette? He signed off on all this idiocy that cost P&G, its parent company, $8 billion?

Let him fall on his razor.

kiffertom

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Seeker
i bought 150 trac three blades at a super deal before all this shit came out. id like to be able to shove them up the ceo's ass. would be very easy as its probably prolapsed from being rammed by his top!

Uglytruth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
When a companies decisions lead to "PC" actions that were designed to offend so many of their target market they no longer deserve to be in business with their overpriced junk. All the ratings are dropping for the nfl, mlb, nba and these geniuses can't figure out a guy wants a good razor at a fair price?
Their customers didn't leave, they were driven away by overpaid marketing agencies.

We are all searching for alternatives to so many products.

I was in a auto parts store the other day looking for an interior panel tool. They all had them but they were short & not what I needed / wanted.
The balls of fire they have peddling their wars either just pointed me in a direction or walked me over to the area. One guy said I can order one for ya.
Great idea I went home & ordered it from the closest person on Ebay & it was delivered to my door for half the price the store wanted.

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
I posted this in the other Gillette thread, awhile back, but I use an old Gillette adjustable Fatboy that was made the year I was born, 1958, first year of production. The thing is built like a tank. 100% chrome plated brass, with twist to open blade doors and an adjustable head, to customize your shave according to your skin sensitivity and blade growth. Love the darn thing. The point is, it’s made so well that somebody will be shaving with that razor 100 years from now, providing somebody still makes double edged blades for it and as long as the razor hasn’t been abused. And Gillette won’t be making any money from it. They’ll have to get by on that tiny little transgender niche market they’ve created.

Joseph

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
i bought 150 trac three blades at a super deal before all this shit came out. id like to be able to shove them up the ceo's ass. would be very easy as its probably prolapsed from being rammed by his top!

I've never understood the 3 blade / 5 blade razors. It just goes to show the gullibility of the average consumer. If you think the first blade cuts the hair and the second blade cuts it shorter, you're downright loopy. ( not pointing this at you kiff - I know it's pretty much all they sell these days.) I buy 2 blade from DSC, because they don't sell single blade razors.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I've never understood the 3 blade / 5 blade razors. It just goes to show the gullibility of the average consumer. If you think the first blade cuts the hair and the second blade cuts it shorter, you're downright loopy. ( not pointing this at you kiff - I know it's pretty much all they sell these days.) I buy 2 blade from DSC, because they don't sell single blade razors.

Dood, it's an ultra deluxe mach 10 supercharged turbo 3 blade! Gotta cut better with that kinda name!

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Two blades I could understand, but when they got to three, then four, then five, it was ludicrous. What are they up to, seven now?

Someone_else

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
It was a some time back, but when I was using the disposable two-bladed razors, they would often clog up and it was a hassle to unclog them. My single blade safety razors never clog. If I feel like cleaning the blade, say after doing my sideburns, it is super easy to unscrew the handle and wipe the blade with TP.

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Meanwhile back at the ranch, I just sold the last of my Procter and Gamble stock. I originally bought over 20 years ago but have no clue what I paid though it was probably in the $20 range. Hopefully the broker has records because I damn sure don't and I'm gonna have to pay some capital gains tax. In addition to the stock appreciation, I got a pretty reliable 3% + dividend. It was a really good investment but I cannot remain invested with a company that has gone so far off the deep end with progressivism.

I've been using Harry's stuff for years, screw Gillette.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Two blades I could understand, but when they got to three, then four, then five, it was ludicrous. What are they up to, seven now?
This is my experience

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
This gave me a chuckle

oldgaranddad

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
The previous Gillette screw up thread got me to switch to a double edge razor. I use Feather and Derby blades and I have a Merkur gold plated handle. I splurged on the gold plated handle because I like to enjoy my precious metals and to remind me why I bother getting up and shaved.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
It was a some time back, but when I was using the disposable two-bladed razors, they would often clog up and it was a hassle to unclog them. My single blade safety razors never clog. If I feel like cleaning the blade, say after doing my sideburns, it is super easy to unscrew the handle and wipe the blade with TP.
What I do is just loosen the head, so the doors open a little and run it under hot water. I don’t know if your razor does that, but it seems it would be easier than the tp technique.

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
The previous Gillette screw up thread got me to switch to a double edge razor. I use Feather and Derby blades and I have a Merkur gold plated handle. I splurged on the gold plated handle because I like to enjoy my precious metals and to remind me why I bother getting up and shaved.
I was looking at those nice Merkur razors too, the Futur model. I saw a video on YT by Nick Shabbaz and thought one of those would be nice, then I found out I could get an old Fatboy from the year I was born. I recalled my dad had one just like it when I was a kid and had to have one.

Someone_else

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
What I do is just loosen the head, so the doors open a little and run it under hot water. I don’t know if your razor does that, but it seems it would be easier than the tp technique.
I would rather throw the hairs in the trash than in the sink, but that is a simple matter. Either way, I think the safety razor wins.

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
I would rather throw the hairs in the trash than in the sink, but that is a simple matter. Either way, I think the safety razor wins.
Good point.

Twisted

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I've always shaved in the shower, if the blades clog up I stick the razor up by the shower head and let the water run thru both sides. No problemo.

edsl48

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
I have and continue to buy these at Walmart, Target or wherever. Has worked for me for decades and they are cheap too following the principle of "if it ain't broke don't fix it."
1566726340474.png

kiffertom

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Seeker

i love the flea market. i bought all of these from a seller ther for 1/4 of the cost in a store. i shave about 3 times per week. ill be dead before i use all of them.

kiffertom

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Seeker
F-Them. I use a straight razor! Better, closer shave than any disposal on the market.
this is the real way. if you go to a barber this is what they use. all investment up front. i never learned how to use one.

kiffertom

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Seeker
I've always shaved in the shower, if the blades clog up I stick the razor up by the shower head and let the water run thru both sides. No problemo.
to add to this i quit using shave cream years ago. a good bar of soap works wonderfully! some with a 12 o'clock shadow might disagree.

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
to add to this i quit using shave cream years ago. a good bar of soap works wonderfully! some with a 12 o'clock shadow might disagree.
Same thing I do. Just get my face good and wet, then lather up with a bar of soap. Works great and I don’t have any dryness problems at all and I’m using Ivory soap right now. Why spend your money on shave cream, when the bar of soap by the sink works fine?

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
There it is.

Here's a bit 'o data you might find useful: I was given a present of a mirror that has a reservoir on the back; when you get the shower runnin', you hold up the mirror and fill the back -- it will not fog up at all. Dump it out when done showering/shaving, and hang it back up on its support thingy.

There are a blue jillion types out there, but the kind that have a coating to prevent fogging LOSE that coating after a while. Any of the kind that have a hot water reservoir in the back simply cannot fog.

Last edited:

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
There it is.

Here's a bit 'o data you might find useful: I was given a present of a mirror that has a reservoir on the back; when you get the shower runnin', you hold up the mirror and fill the back -- it will not fog up at all. Dump it out when done showering/shaving, and hang it back up on its support thingy.

There are a blue jillion types out there, but the kind that have a coating to prevent fogging LOSE that coating after a while. Any of the kind that have a hot water reservoir in the back simply cannot fog.
Very cool.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
I've never understood the 3 blade / 5 blade razors.
LOL I use a 5 blade and it does a much smoother shave.

I've used 1, 2, 3, 4, and now 5 blades over the years.

I think it's because the blades 'tug' at the skin, or perhaps levels out the skin so that the blades cut evenly?

I wonder if the same effect could be had by using some kind of rubber on either side of the blade to stretch the skin taught?

Last week I signed up for Harry's shave club. Got the handle and blade (5). The first shave was kind of a different feel. The second was amazingly smooth. Not sure why? Broke in the blade?? Meh... I'm on their 3 month plan which is the cheapest.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
Get Woke Go Broke: Gillette Backflips After $12 Billion Toxic Masculinity Disaster — Hopes to Lure Sexist Pigs Back with New Ad Campaign
by Jim Hoft August 22, 2019 1449 Comments

In January Proctor & Gamble decided to run Gillette razor ads trashing men as violent stalkers and abusers in a disgusting ad campaign.

The company felt the best way to promote their product was to attack their customer base.

The toxic masculinity ad highlighted sexist and bullying white males in the United States.
Of the 43 abusive males in the ad – 42 were white. 7 of the 8 hero men in the ad were black.

The ad did not do so well. Many users promised to avoid the product.

The company followed that ad up with a father teaching his trans son how to shave for the first time.

All that wokeness did not pay off for Gillette and P&G.
Gillette lost $8 BILLION in the second quarter.

After this shockingly disgusting ad campaign Gillette is hoping to regain its market share with a more positive message.

They decided that labeling their customers as sexist pigs may not have been the best strategy.

News.com.au reported:

Razor brand Gillette says it is “shifting the spotlight from social issues to local heroes” after an ad delving into “toxic masculinity” caused a customer backlash.​

The new ad, which launched last week, stars Australian firefighter and personal trainer Ben Ziekenheiner. “I’ve been a firefighter for 19 years,” Mr Ziekenheiner says in the ad…​

…In January, Gillette sparked an online firestorm and boycott threats with an ad about the #MeToo movement challenging men to “shave their toxic masculinity”. The ad, which depicted various scenes of men bullying and catcalling women, asked, “Is this the best a man can get? Is it?”​

The “We Believe” ad was labelled by some in the media as an “attack on men”, but others praised the brand for starting a “conversation”. In May, Gillette followed up with an ad featuring a father teaching his transgender son how to shave for the first time.​

While the “First Shave” ad was generally well received, it was widely seen as Gillette doubling down on its push into social issues. In response to one Facebook comment, the company said, “We believe brands play a role in influencing culture and have a responsibility to use their voice for good.”​

Pressed on whether Gillette would continue to talk about divisive issues like toxic masculinity, Mr Airan repeated, “We will continue to represent men at their best. This is our purpose and has been our purpose consistently for 118 years and that is not changing.”​

Buck

Old Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Australian firefighter
LOL

I'll be he ain't man enough to own a sling-shot, let alone a rifle

Thanks Gillette, but, No Thanks

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
“They decided that labeling their customers as sexist pigs might not have been the best strategy.”

Imagine that.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
"In May, Gillette followed up with an ad featuring a father teaching his transgender son how to shave for the first time."

May I be excused from the Earth now please?

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++