• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

GIM in 2006 Vs 2019

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
There has been a fairly contentious thread going over the past day or three about the WTC building collapse from 2001. For the most part the thread has been fairly civilized with the main faction stating one theory and the second smaller faction (including myself) stating another. The posts have kept largely to statements of (perceived) fact, opinion or evidence with personal rancor kept to a minimum.

Compare this to 10-13 years ago on GIM where it immediately went personnel and vicious. It was like the wild west. There were a large number of people on the board but a lot of quality people would be gone rapidly.

I remember when I posted in 2006 (I think) that my son, now an alive retired Army LTC, was going back to Iraq for his second (out of four) deployment. A long time GIM poster at the time thought it appropriate to post a picture of a US cargo plane full of coffins along with some snide comment. I remember that guy, who departed GIM for the competing gold-silver website. To this day, if I met him in the flesh, one perhaps both of us but definitely him would be hurt badly. In the original GIM it was acceptable to wish for the violent death of your family members.

I can't imagine things getting to that level or even close in this GIM incarnation. Thanks for that.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I think we all want what's best for this world and for that we have a good camaraderie regardless of some of our differences. At the end of the day I think it's great that we have a platform where we can speak our minds in such an environment.

hoarder

Dis Member
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
2006.....those were the days.......when the information age was still alive and well. When there is only one source of information and it's tightly controlled, there is nothing to argue about.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
I can't imagine things getting to that level or even close in this GIM incarnation. Thanks for that.
Well, it's like you said... "they left" for greener pastures.

It, the 'other' site... failed. At least, it seems like that. Most of them wandered back to the fold... at least it seems like that...

I guess too much freedom is a bad thing? Decorum has its benefits....

Strawboss

Home Improvement Sales Trainee...
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Being civil and respectful to those with which you disagree is a mark of maturity...

Its something I am still a work in progress on as there are some whose comments/opinions are so ludicrous that they beg for a snarky response...

I think civil discourse is an ideal worthy of pursuit...

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I remember being here under a different name in 2006.
Got called a lot of things, was even called a Jew by one guy.
Things went down hill from there and I almost left.
Then I asked for all my posts to be removed and was allowed to take on a new name, the one I now use here.
Yes, things are much more civil now.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
2006.....those were the days.......when the information age was still alive and well. When there is only one source of information and it's tightly controlled, there is nothing to argue about.

Like I said before, you and I agree on a whole shitload of things.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I remember being here under a different name in 2006.
Got called a lot of things, was even called a Jew by one guy.
Things went down hill from there and I almost left.
Then I asked for all my posts to be removed and was allowed to take on a new name, the one I now use here.
Yes, things are much more civil now.
Yeah... I remember that guy. He called anyone who did not agree with his rabid anti-semitic rants by names like Moshe or his fave: Schlomo.

It is much better today. This is a premiere website. Excellent moderation.

hoarder

Dis Member
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Delicate sensibilities are not a legitimate tool of discourse.

Fatrat

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
I have been called everything but a Christian and a white man...I DO give it back though.

hoarder

Dis Member
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
How foolish of them to think you would have to charge for your services.
(*snork*) Well Dave and Unca did charge for our services. At first, we charged $31.00 every two weeks (a cool $15.50/week).

anywoundedduck

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Well, we have all had disagreements over the years, but there is one thing we all agree on.
TRUMP!

Right?

Nevermind. Just kidding to make a point.

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Aw SHIT! Now we'll be labeled "Stalkers".
Oh well, at least they are obvious about it.

Dude

Midas Member
Midas Member
While I was involved in several discussions at length in those years, I hope I did not act too badly. I'm back going to St. Bartholomew's and focus more on family and looking to get more financially stable for retirement. Work is taking a lot more out of me as I grow older, even being in IT.

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
It was a time waster then, it's a time waster now.

keef

Пальто Crude
Platinum Bling
GIM 2006: GOLD ROOM

GIM 2019 : ten million threads later

"Just one more, Scorp"

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Video #2 : I did not know Don Imus made movies.

Last edited:

keef

Пальто Crude
Platinum Bling
In hindsight, this dive hasn't changed one bit in twenty years.

Cherished Delusions-2019

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Site Supporter
Mother Lode
looking back over my years all i know is that the keefer made me do it thread is gone

farking bombers scanned it

bet chaim did it

or got goldies

FunnyMoney

Silver Member
Silver Miner
...In the original GIM it was acceptable to wish for the violent death of your family members.
This is not true.

Even the term, "acceptable" makes no sense there, or here. Each member has an opinion - acceptable to who? Some sliver of a right or an ability to state something does not deem it "acceptable."

Also, we had a poll back in those days, actually many polls. A "consensus" developed to a certain percentage on several of them but "acceptable" has yet to be discovered.

keef

Пальто Crude
Platinum Bling
Ok, One serious post ugggggggggg before I go to the real pub, Tom/and his son in the OP deserve an explanation/apology.

Man, I gotta make this short.

GIM was founded after that asshat at Gold Eagle started banning/censoring gimmers there.

FREEDOM OF SPEECH was granted/protected by our founders here.

Iraq was an unjust war, I don't believe any American would debate that today.

Evidently, someone here blamed the soldier and not the gov who sent them.

This was common in viet nam, guys had shit thrown at them for being baby killers after risking their lives in the jungle.

Forgive them Tom. And I don't believe those kind of members even exist around here any more

Now SeT EM UP JOE, I'm outta here.

Scorpio

Скорпион
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
keefer,

to this day, Founding Fathers (one of the original Founders for those that don't remember) still maintains the best quote regarding all of this,

'sometimes freedom is ugly'

so simple, but so very true

and it did get ugly, really ugly at times,

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
eugene sledge, from "with the old breed"

one can only imagine the brutality done by your average 19yo when left to their own vices

is it good or bad that the squad is left without a squad leader?

You sent me here to kill. what difference does it make what I do it with or how I do it?

Zed

Intergalactic Chart Arse
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Unfortunately I think that over time it will head back in that direction as gold becomes more popular again. For now you only have the long term posters that have been through the worst and stuck with things. A fair bit of humility seems to have come into it as we went through that washout process and found more and more things to talk about that weren't directly gold related. As gold gets stronger and the crowds return I fear that the quality of the average poster will once again drop. Just look @ it as a sign of where we are in the whole bull market.

So I guess we enjoy it for now until "success" arrives.

It is kinda nice not being attacked on a daily basis, like it once was.

Last edited:

Zed

Intergalactic Chart Arse
Midas Member
Site Supporter
It, the 'other' site... failed. At least, it seems like that.
It had it's issues as well... moderation is a fine art and at least here it seems to have been somewhat mastered. Bad moderation kills forums, especially when the owner uses their power to run-over any attitude that differs slightly from their own.

Last edited:

BackwardsEngineeer

What me worry?
Silver Miner
Unfortunately I think that over time it will head back in that direction as gold becomes more popular again. For now you only have the long term posters that have been through the worst and stuck with things. A fair bit of humility seems to have come into it as we went through that washout process and found more and more to talk about that wasn't directly gold related. As gold gets stronger and the crowds return I fear that the quality of the average poster will once again drop. Just look @ it as a sign of where we are in the whole bull market.
Zed, I can't speak for everyone but I have spent years making sure my posts are low quality... absolute bottom of the barrel trying to get gold and silver to go up. When throngs of posters return rockets everywhere, I vow to work even harder to achieve new lows and lead the way into a darker tomorrow....

Strawboss

Home Improvement Sales Trainee...
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
keefer,

to this day, Founding Fathers (one of the original Founders for those that don't remember) still maintains the best quote regarding all of this,

'sometimes freedom is ugly'

so simple, but so very true

and it did get ugly, really ugly at times,
I remember the pain you mods went through trying to strike the right balance...

All in all...a great job was done during very trying times...