• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

gim2 members compare health insurance costs

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
thought it would be useful to get a clear look at what's going on in the h-insurance market

seeking posters to list their state and what kind of insurance deal they have or know of

not really wanting to get in the weeds about different coverages, etc. just a survey of how much per month and if use regular or high deduct/HSA

i'll go first

regular retiree insurance from big oil, aetna, live in texas

h-insurance for three people = 810 per month (up a hundred dollars over two years)

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
medicare about $230.00 with supplemental $178.00 per month

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Supporter +++
Reaction score
We pay 100% of premiums for employees and 50% for spouse/family. The 50% family is around 500/month for blue cross blue shield preferred provider.

Ive fought tooth and nail not to be converted to Obamacare and they still try to drag us in every year.

As long as I make no changes to the Corp plan the company’s plan theoretically remains grandfathered. 2 years ago they said they were discontinuing my plan and I’d have to choose a new option but they changed their mind at the last m8nute

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Reaction score
80 a month for 5k deductible medical and vision/5k deductible dental

United Health

Through employer

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Silver Miner
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
Everybody sitting down?

My wife was laid off due to covid. She is too young for Medicare.
Ready? (1) person, Horizon omnia silver, NJ, $1067 per month (wo dental)

newmisty

Transcending the 5 Elements
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
I pay $0
Last time I was at a health facility was in middle school.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
...workin the system.... obamacare @ ~1100$ a month cost....single male ...minimal co-pays....minimal deductibles....max outa pocket is something ridiculously low like $250.....structured my income to take advantage of subsidies (no dental i use my HSA for dental work)

CrimsonGuardJay

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Everybody sitting down?

If youre in good health I have alternate health programs that could save you a literal fortune.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

Mujahideen

Owner Operator
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I pay $0
Last time I was at a health facility was in middle school.

i pay a big fat $0 also. I get very basic medical exams done every other year so I can have a cdl. That’s it.

I eat my vegetables and exercise regularly.

I can’t believe the numbers some of you guys are saying. Holy crap.

Last edited:

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Medicare Advantage Humana, $180. It's pretty good insurance. I got two cataract caused eye lenses replaced last year for a total $300 out of pocket. The wife has has both knees replaced for about the same.

BackwardsEngineeer

Total curmudgeon
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Honestly, would be embarrassed to list our monthly ... the gap between leaving corporate and age 65 has been pricey, 1/3 of our fixed monthly, with no major issues.. maintaining the pillars is strategic not cheap

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Silver Miner
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is one of the rare times you're happy you're old (enough to be on medicare).

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Everybody sitting down?

u try for obama care?

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Were both 70 on medicare 140 monthly each, suppliment mine 159 wifes 139 , we tried to upgrade to plan that pays 100% with cigna, my wife got approved and I got denied because of the meds i take.

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Silver Miner
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
She doesn't qualify for "help". The formula for assistance is based on total household income, not just hers. So since I am still working, she is over the range where she would get some help.

When I retire at the end of this year, she may qualify then, but I'm not sure. It's not too bad, she's close to medicare age just not there yet. (don't tell her I said that).

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
She doesn't qualify for "help". The formula for assistance is based on total household income, not just hers. So since I am still working, she is over the range where she would get some help.

When I retire at the end of this year, she may qualify then, but I'm not sure. It's not too bad, she's close to medicare age just not there yet. (don't tell her I said that).

That sucks, I was retired and my wife got laid off and we paid cobra for a year was 1200 then went to ocare dropped it to 200 and change, that was 8/8 years back, have you thought of just getting castrophic care

Scorpio

Hunter of Chin Li's Boo Hoo Flu
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
$1029/mth, no dental, no nothing
7 grand deduct

so basically 20 grand/yr before they ever pay a penny

that is kenyan kare,
no subsidy

so basically it is catastrophic insurance only

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Healthcare in this country might be the most insane and most likely to collapse first. This is just not sustainable in any way shape or form.

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Supporter +++
Reaction score
7 grand deduct

that is kenyan kare,
no subsidy

Omg you win, err no I guess I mean you lose

7k deductible is ridiculous

Last edited:

tigerwillow1

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Medigap plan F (no deductible, no copay) $190 a month. 2 years ago it was $107 a month. It's an issue age policy, so getting 2 years older is supposedly not a factor.

Dude

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
I am part of corporate. 200 a month for me, 60 years old. 300 the company pays. Pay 20% of billing. I think the personal pay limit is 5k or so for the year.

Wife is a teacher and has her own policy. Her chemo treatments are 60k each. She hit her 6k pay out limit quite quickly. BTW, she's been teaching here in person in TX since last October.

stoli

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
750 a month. Never used my insurance in 40 years until this winter. Kidney stone landed me in the ER for about 2 hours. There going to cover half the cost of the scan and thats about it. My deductible 3000 for er vist.
Waste of money . Tuffs insurance

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Omg you win, err no guess I mean you lose

7k deductible is ridiculous

I dont think Ive ever had a deductible that was less than 5, 6k or so. I do t think Id even want a lower deductible as it keeps me away from hospitals.

Uglytruth

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
$5500 deductible HSA plan through employer
I pay $30 wk ($1560 yr) + $50 wk (2600) into my HSA. Looking into maxing it out as it is tax free & able to use for other things.
Company pays $110 wk ($5720 yr)
That works out to $606 a month for 1 person. WAY TO MUCH but I'm thinking kickbacks are involved to our company.

mnmom

Seeker
Seeker
Reaction score
Health share ministry here. 550 per month 300 per year deductible 100% coverage. Not insurance but we've been happy with it.

Rusty Shackelford

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
80 a month for 5k deductible medical and vision/5k deductible dental

United Health

Through employer

How much does employer pay on your behalf? I my case i pay $80/month for single with $6000 deductible no co insurance. Employer pays the remaining $475....that $475 is and expense to the employer that can cannot be used to give me a raise so the health insurance really costs me $555 a month. Only barry thinks employer sponsored coverage is cheap.

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Don't quote me but this is close.
0 per month
1800 deductible
BCBC through employer
80/20
Max out of pocket is like 3000
If I were covering a spouse it would jump to 400 per month.

Usury

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
7 grand deduct

that is kenyan kare,
no subsidy

But hey, Bear.....if you like your insurance....you can keep it?

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
$5500 deductible HSA plan through employer
I pay $30 wk ($1560 yr) + $50 wk (2600) into my HSA. Looking into maxing it out as it is tax free & able to use for other things.
Company pays $110 wk ($5720 yr)
That works out to $606 a month for 1 person. WAY TO MUCH but I'm thinking kickbacks are involved to our company.

I am thinking your employer is doing you a great service.....I don't think you have a clue how good they are treating you....i would challenge you to see if you could find something better on your own.....yes max out your hsa I have been using mine now the last 10 years of early retirement will probably use it all up a year or two before I become eligible for Medicare

Scorpio

Hunter of Chin Li's Boo Hoo Flu
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
yep ttaz,

120/mth is flat good in this day and age

the hsa isn't part of the discussion as that is a slaves own personal savings acct to cover future med costs, and has nothing to do with insurance or coverage. It is a tax gimmick. They are just cooking up ways to get the slaves to have the dough available to cover their share as needed. That is all a hsa is.

Camp Bassfish

Seeker
Seeker
Reaction score
$150/month + $25 copay for Dr, $250 for ER and inpatient. $5 scripts.

I can "sell" 7 vacation days a year if I choose..... to cover premium. I rarely do that, I enjoy my free time.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
yep ttaz,

120/mth is flat good in this day and age

the hsa isn't part of the discussion as that is a slaves own personal savings acct to cover future med costs, and has nothing to do with insurance or coverage. It is a tax gimmick. They are just cooking up ways to get the slaves to have the dough available to cover their share as needed. That is all a hsa is.
yes i agree HSA "slaves up the savings"......it was a great tool for me in my situation to put away tax free $ during my extremely high tax years and now use them for things like dental, co-pays, meds, deductables, etc .........but it might not be right for others because you do have to need it to use it.....

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
$150/month + $25 copay for Dr, $250 for ER and inpatient. $5 scripts.

I can "sell" 7 vacation days a year if I choose..... to cover premium. I rarely do that, I enjoy my free time.
i assume that is YOUR direct side of the cost? and the employer pays the rest?

during my years as a employer we did several things to help inform our emplyees of the cost of insurance because many had no clue and thought it was a "right" ....in some companies we paid the first XXX$ and they paid the balance usually we held a saturday meeting with the employees with presenters and then held a vote on which plan to use..lol...those were the good ole days of healthcare and insurance

Camp Bassfish

Seeker
Seeker
Reaction score
i assume that is YOUR direct side of the cost? and the employer pays the rest?

during my years as a employer we did several things to help inform our emplyees of the cost of insurance because many had no clue and thought it was a "right" ....in some companies we paid the first XXX$ and they paid the balance usually we held a saturday meeting with the employees with presenters and then held a vote on which plan to use..lol...those were the good ole days of healthcare and insurance
I should have been more clear.... yes, that's my direct side of the cost (20%). So $750 is a more accurate reflection of total premiums.

<SLV>

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Costs me $0 per month to have not health insurance. (I pay something like $30/mo for dental.)

foolsgold

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
$135 a month for medicare part-B + $0 for VA