• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Giving in to the Dark Side, Buying a Propane Grill

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Grilling has always been an important part of my life but I've been a snob about it, only wood or charcoal and for most of my life, Weber grills though I bought a horizontal remote firebox smoker about 10 years ago. I'm getting old and my grill and smoker are about 250 feet away from the house near my shop building. Charcoal is getting painfully expensive and as much as I would like to do some chicken or hamburgers a couple to a few times a week, it's getting to be too big a PIA to fire that up for anything less than the 2 racks of baby backs I have prepping now.

I'm getting a gas grill, a Weber anyway. If it just a matter of going out the back door, turning on a valve and hitting the igniter, I'll do it. I'll miss the smoke flavoring but not the 1/2 mile of so of trips to the shop and back, the 40 minutes to get the grill prepped, coal started, placed. Now, I'll put up with it for ribs. No way I'm going to gas cook ribs.

Speaking of heresy, it now looks like the ultimate way to cook really high end steaks is in a cast iron pan. I bought a pretty good one a few weeks back and about have it seasoned to the point of usability. Brand new cast iron is about useless.

Someone_else

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
My wife cooks brisket on our grill. She puts the brisket on two broiler pans with mesquite chips underneath. On each side is a foil tray with mesquite chips. After it is up to temperature, only the left and rightmost burners are on. Every hour or so, she takes a water squirt bottle and keeps the meat and mesquite chips moist. I think it takes eight to ten hours.

Uncle

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
You can still get the wood flavour by doing some variation of Someone_else's wife's routine. Just experiment a bit on where and when to add the wood chips.

Golden Regards
Uncle

Uncle

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
On another note, some Webers will smoke or grill nicely on 5-10 charcoal briquettes. Just move it to your porch.

Golden Regards
Uncle

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
On another note, some Webers will smoke or grill nicely on 5-10 charcoal briquettes. Just move it to your porch.

Golden Regards
Uncle

I don't have a Porch, I have a BMW and I don't like to grill in it! The sparks leave holes in the seats.

Just kidding....

Thecrensh

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I have used gas grills several years now...make some awesome steaks with them so you'll live I think.

Strawboss

Home Improvement Sales Trainee...
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
You guys are soft...

The right way to grill is like the cavemen used to do it. Build a freaking bonfire...and heat up some rocks. Then cook your shit on the rocks.

And if anyone complains about your cooking? Bash them in the skull with a club. Just like the cavemen used to do it.

Back when men were men...

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
Get you some of this and incorporate in your recipe...

Screen Shot 2019-07-04 at 7.11.30 PM.png

also get a stainless steel grill...

Someone_else

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Get you some of this and incorporate in your recipe...
I have used this along with garlic powder, minced onion, and basil to add flavor to hamburger meat. I think the (dried) minced onion keeps it juicy. I bet that adding fine or chopped dried mushroom would help too.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Time is money Tom. Consider it a thoughtful modern convenience.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
How to Get Smoky Flavor When Using a Gas Grill
https://www.thespruceeats.com/smoky-flavor-when-using-gas-grill-334957

ALSO: https://www.chowhound.com/post/wood-chips-gas-grill-428157

1. You need to place the box (stainless steel I hope) directly on the burner for maximum heat. Soak the chips for about 45 minutes before putting them on the fire otherwise they will just burn. I had a Weber and the burners ran across from left to right. I now have a Vermont Casts grill and the burners run front to back and I find this much easier to control where I want the heat and to use a smoke box for ribs or brisket.
    Danny

2. John Ash, a cook who teaches BBQ and grilling in the Bay Area, suggests simply making a pouch out of tin foil, putting the chips in (without soaking) and placing on the grill top ahead of time to start smoking, out of the way of where the food is going to be cooked.
    Certainly works for me on my gas grill.
    1. I have soaked and made an aluminum packet (rectangular prism shaped, low and flatter) and poke holes in it with a fork (both sides) put on grill heat and close the lid. When smoking, add meat. I try to keep the lid closed to preserve the smoky flavour. Then, when done, I leave it on, has a good scent and keeps bugs away. When cooled, put whole packet in garbage.

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Charcoal
An excellent survival fuel
and it ain't tough to store forty or fifty bags
It lasts Four-ever — don't spoil
only buy it on sale
use it when you want to

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I'm getting a gas grill, a Weber anyway. If it just a matter of going out the back door, turning on a valve and hitting the igniter, I'll do it. I'll miss the smoke flavoring but not the 1/2 mile of so of trips to the shop and back, the 40 minutes to get the grill prepped, coal started, placed. Now, I'll put up with it for ribs. No way I'm going to gas cook ribs.
I put soaked wood on a tray on top of my burners for smoke flavor and ring. The 1st hour is where the smoke does most of its work. I then wrap each rack in aluminum foil, stack on top of each other with only one set of burners on, keeping the temp below 250F.
Every 45 minutes I move the bottom rib to the top of the stack and keep doing this rotation for the remaining cooking time. The stacking helps keep each rack from losing much moisture as it cooks.
On a good windless day I'll not use the foil but still stack the ribs on top of each other maintaining a 225-230 temp. With the same procedure of rotation. The drippings from the upper Ribs give even more flavor to the rack(s) below. Of course the time is longer but visual is easier to determine the final time for sauce.
That is when I spread them out for their Q-sauce bath, and one rack for me No Sauce as I like to taste the smoke flavor more so than a sauce.
YMMV

engineear

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
You guys are soft...

The right way to grill is like the cavemen used to do it. Build a freaking bonfire...and heat up some rocks. Then cook your shit on the rocks.

And if anyone complains about your cooking? Bash them in the skull with a club. Just like the cavemen used to do it.

On the way past the plant where they build the Apaches is a restaurant called Steak and Stone. You select your steak and they bring out a very hot stone that's placed in front of you. You chop your steak into pieces and flip until it's ready to eat...unique way to have dinner.

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Just going off of the title.....JUMP IN AN SPLASH! EYE did it and will never look back at the fire that took the house! No really I dint burn the house down BUT I found out gas was good for burning shit off of a grill. funny; I timed my grilling off of beers and cigarettes.

go get um tomdee

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Site Supporter
Mother Lode
You guys are soft...

lol....been there

rock exploded with mighty force -- lucky the shrapnel missed me

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
lol....been there

rock exploded with mighty force -- lucky the shrapnel missed me
U did the river rock shit? cool so did eye,,,,think burning fish on them rocks is cool? try fucking up ur smores on them exploding rocks,

Zed

Intergalactic Chart Arse
Midas Member
Site Supporter
LOL, I was going to go the other way. I think you may have talked me out of it!

Zed

Intergalactic Chart Arse
Midas Member
Site Supporter

Zed

Intergalactic Chart Arse
Midas Member
Site Supporter

Alton

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Yes! I buy propane and propane accessories to fuel the charbroil and the occasional hare-brained scheme.
Yes! Make sure the ENTIRE grilling unit is stainless inside and out. The stand should preferably be stainless also but not so necessary as the grilling unit.
Yes! Make sure it has wheels and that they function properly. You don't want to be pushing it over when you're just moving it into the garage.
Yes! Get a model with a side burner for veggies, sauces, making garlic butter and other good stuff.
Yes! Get the rotisserie attachment. Do up some roast beast! Mmmmmmm!
Yes! You can make grilled pizza! Mrs. Alton is instant superhero when she does this! The secret is the timing...and remembering the hood goes up AND down
Yes! Definitely get whatever screen or cedar boards you prefer to grill your salmon! Neighbor went a fishin' on the BIG lake...chartered trip no less! Caught salmon at 10am. Hit limit in no time. On my grill at 4pm. Hit limit in no time. Grilled the last of the asparagus too! Mmmmmm! Have another 10 pounds of fillets in the freezer.
Today is Bratwurst day!!! Gettin' together with old friends in Michigan and we'll be burnin' burgers and brats, eatin' BIG piles of incredibly good grub, tellin' BIG tales and havin' lots o' BIG fun!!!
Yes! Make sure you empty the drip pan after each use. It can get really messy really quick!
Yes! Remember to lock and chock your wheels if you leave your grill out in the elements. Wind storms WILL blow your grill right over or send it down your driveway or off the patio.

Of course, having a thunderstorm now....radar shows possibility of more later reading right toward where we're getting together. Maybe we'll re-discover the art of grilling in a garage today!

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Of course, having a thunderstorm now....radar shows possibility of more later reading right toward where we're getting together. Maybe we'll re-discover the art of grilling in a garage today!
Keep fans ON and garage door up, ENJOY.
I use to do that kinda grilling as winter was getting started. I use to partially grill up a bunch of burgers, let them cool and wrap them for the freezer for bad weather days and I wanted a good grilled burger.
DO NOT COOK COMPLETELY for freezing unless you like eating hockey pucks later on.

wmb67

For less than the cost Weber's newest lowest cost gas grill, consider restoring an older model. You can find them cheap or free on craigslist/facebook marketplace.
I found this one free on craigslist. The frame was wobbly/broken, so I stripped the paint around all the joints and paid a local guy to weld it,then repainted the frame. I purchased new stainless flavorizor bars, stainless grill grates, stainless nuts, bolts, fasteners and an igniter. I will likely replace the burner tubes within the next few years. Also replaced all the wooden shelves.
This Genesis model is from the early 90's and is built like a tank and in the USA. Weber went to offshore production around 2000-ish in order to compete(lower costs) and their quality has fallen some.
It seems most newer grills only last +/- 5 years and then you need to replace it because it's not worth fixing or parts are hard to find.
Weber still supports these older grills with available parts from their website along with many aftermarket suppliers and ebay.

Before:
shower enclosures 2-23-2017 028.jpg

shower enclosures 2-23-2017 028.jpg

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Yeah, Weber has gone downhill some. I used to buy one of their 22" kettle grills and expect close to 10 years of twice weekly use and outdoor storage. The last one I bought 4 years ago and will maybe last one more and that's twice monthly usage and indoor storage. But it's still the best out there.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
After:
View attachment 135501
This is a tank... and should last damn near forever with maintenance and parts replacement every so often.
It was a fun and simple project ending up with recurring satisfaction every time I use it.
Here is a Weber forum with helpful members and loads of information
https://tvwbb.com/forum.php
I have a similar model I inherited from my dearly departed best friend over 10 years ago. He gave it to me because he had it for forever and wanted more grill acreage so he baough himself another much bigger Weber. The thing never seems to waver. It's left covered and outside during the last 9 NE winters and they're really no rust or rot on the thing. I've replace a drip tray assembly and the heat diffusers in the 10 years I've owned it. I see no need to replace it and will do some digging on the restoration process. It will be like owning and restoring a 1969 Camaro, just a lot cheaper!

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
I am still in the never gas camp. Nevaaaaa!!

Lump charcoal in a steel Kamado grill hits 650+ degrees. Or you can close the vents and slow cook all day @ 300-350 degrees.
I will spring for the expensive ceramic Kamado when this one wears out.

EDIT: If people would stop polluting my fire pit by burning trash I could just shovel red hot oak coals in there.

ribeyeRS4.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I am still in the never gas camp. Nevaaaaa!!

Lump charcoal in a steel Kamado grill hits 650+ degrees. Or you can close the vents and slow cook all day @ 300-350 degrees.
I will spring for the expensive ceramic Kamado when this one wears out.

EDIT: If people would stop polluting my fire pit by burning trash I could just shovel red hot oak coals in there.

View attachment 135491
That's a nice looking grill.

Zed

Intergalactic Chart Arse
Midas Member
Site Supporter
There is definitely something to be said about the flavor that charcoal adds to meat...
Yeah, I've been eyeing off a ceramic version of the one Irons has... the gas one is not long for this world.

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
There is definitely something to be said about the flavor that charcoal adds to meat...
That can also be said of the different types of woods one can use from mesquite to cherry to apple, oak,.... all create a unique favor in their own right.

Uncle

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
With only myself and the wife around, we use a Cobb.

https://cobbonline.co.za

Stainless and 8-10 briquettes for 8 chicken breasts or even a whole chicken or 10 lamb tjops. Even did a leg of lamb as well.

Golden Regards
Uncle

Uglytruth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
How's shipping from Cape Town?