• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Giving in to the Dark Side, Buying a Propane Grill

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
That can also be said of the different types of woods one can use from mesquite to cherry to apple, oak,.... all create a unique favor in their own right.
Any wood from a fruit or nut tree makes good cooking wood. Even odd stuff like apricot and peach are good.

Uncle

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
How's shipping from Cape Town?
https://cobbgrillamerica.com

If you're interested in briquette grilling, the Cobb Premier should be all you'll require or the 'Kitchen in a Box'.

I don't understand why they have so many websites. Cobb is quite big in the UK and Netherlands.

You might even find a local supplier but shipping shouldn't be a problem.

Have to add, we add wood flavour by soaking wood chips in water and embed them, in foil, below the coals.

Golden Regards
Uncle

Last edited:

Uncle

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Cobb chicken on my porch (for TomD).

IMG-20190707-WA0004.jpg

Golden Regards
Uncle

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Nice but I'm thinking you don't fire that sucker up on a whim for a couple of burgers!
True, but once you fire it for pizza, you can bake everything from chickens to bread for the next 20 hours on the residual heat. I fire up the disco (plow disc) for quick meals.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Yeah, I've been eyeing off a ceramic version of the one Irons has... the gas one is not long for this world.
Kamado grills were a whole new world for me. Little did I know you could hit and hold damn near 700 degrees for a few hours just using natural lump charcoal. I can cook double thick bone in ribeye steaks like a professional in 10 minutes flat.
I don't know what temps I was cooking at all the years before Kamado, but it sure as hell wasn't an even, steady 650 degrees. Another nice thing is when the meat is done I close all the vents and smother the fire. Whatever charcoal isn't totally burned I use again.

aarock.gif
aawise.jpg

Someone_else

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Another nice thing is when the meat is done I close all the vents and smother the fire. Whatever charcoal isn't totally burned I use again.
When done cooking, can you add fresh wood to turn into charcoal for next time?

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
When done cooking, can you add fresh wood to turn into charcoal for next time?
I never thought of that! I don't see why it wouldn't work it is basically a kiln once you close the vents.
I get 20 pounds of lump for around $15 so charcoal isn't a big expense.

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Any wood from a fruit or nut tree makes good cooking wood. Even odd stuff like apricot and peach are good.
Without the bark! In Texas fruit and nut wood is easy to come by, I used Pecan and Mesquite. Up here you have to wait for an Apple tree to die. Next time you come to Montana, could you bring a few logs and drop them off at my house?
I have had steaks and burgers grilled on Pine and Fir wood without bark, you just have to use a lot of it and wait for it to get 80% burned out. Not bad, just a lot of volume.

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Without the bark! In Texas fruit and nut wood is easy to come by, I used Pecan and Mesquite. Up here you have to wait for an Apple tree to die. Next time you come to Montana, could you bring a few logs and drop them off at my house?
I have had steaks and burgers grilled on Pine and Fir wood without bark, you just have to use a lot of it and wait for it to get 80% burned out. Not bad, just a lot of volume.
Without bark is true for all cooking wood, especially mesquite. Mesquite is best when it is seasoned many years, otherwise it leaves an acrid taste to the meat, imo. I cut down a neighbors standing dead pecan tree last year and have been burning pecan for heat and cooking - it's a better cooking wood than heating wood. I would say it lasts about 1/2 as long as good oak.

Firewood can be a precious commodity in the high desert, there's plenty of oak, mesquite, and pecan around but it cost an arm and a leg, but if you keep your eye open during the spring and summer, you can haul off plenty of firewood - it doesn't get so precious until it gets cold. I got kinda spoiled from the hill country, where firewood was plentiful - I had property on the high divide between Fredericksburg and Comfort and had all the oak, mesquite, wild cherry, and texas walnut I could use from standing or fallen dead.

Next time I come to Montana I'll bring you some.

ToBeSelfEvident

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I keep it as simple as possible, using this small propane stove.

I fire up an old cast iron skillet to about 600 degrees, sear the steaks about 1 min on each side, then put the skillet in the oven for 20 minutes.
Perfect steaks every time, uses almost 0 propane, and no ugly grill rusting away outside.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
All of you "anti - Gas" neanderthals have to thow away your gas stove and cook with coal only

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
All of you "anti - Gas" neanderthals have to thow away your gas stove and cook with coal only
My stove top is induction, works great with cast iron.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
I understand the "smoking" and flavor thing.

After all. Adding "flavor" is the manly art.

I just want to eat!