• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Gold and Silver Eagle sales way down YOY

Tinbox

YOU GET NOTHING! YOU LOSE, GOOD DAY SIR!
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
65% over 20 years is a poor investment, you will lose purchasing power to inflation.

Can you just answer the simple question of why are you here when you don't think metals are a good investment going forward?

65% over 20 years is a poor investment, you will lose purchasing power to inflation.

Can you just answer the simple question of why are you here when you don't think metals are a good investment going forward?

Man do any of you read before posting? It's not surprising that Ahillock "thanked" your comment. He too (spelled it right this time Doc, darned cordless keyboard) has been guilty of this.

I have clearly said time & time again...NOT AT THESE PRICES! AT $15.00 though I'd be a player!

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I have clearly said time & time again...NOT AT THESE PRICES! AT $15.00 though I'd be a player!
You might be a "player", but I doubt you have ever bought any physical silver in your life.

pitw

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
How many ASE's have been made?

pitw

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
I can quit hoarding them when the price triples as I guess I can't surround the market.

Ragnarok

I'd rather be
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++

pitw

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Wow. That's not even two per capita of the USofA.

R.
Boy did we have two different ways of looking at that number and never even got in a fight about it.:cheerful:

plata_oro

Seeker
Seeker
Gold and not Silver Eagle sales way down YOY

ASE 4-29-2014.JPG ASE 2013.JPG

2014 on the left and 2013 on the right

If it had not been for the shortage of blanks in January & December 20 million may have been sold already. If we continue to see this steady demand there could very well be 50 million sold for the year.

You all can do the math I would be surprised if April ends up with 4.7-4.8 million but that will be known Thursday.

Ahillock

A nobody
Mother Lode
Re: Gold and not Silver Eagle sales way down YOY

With the poor stockpile of ASEs in preparation for January and the allocation (is it still ongoing?) that has gone on, I think we can say the title of this thread has been misleading. Will be interesting to see if the rest of the year will be this strong.

hernancortes

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
It looks like the mint registered 1.8M sales yesterday alone... May sales went from from 1.3M to 3.1M this morning?

plata_oro

Seeker
Seeker
They have made mistakes before.......

SongSungAU

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
It will interesting to see how the total compares when the May number is updated after the month is over.

2014vs2013.jpg

SongSungAU

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
It looks like the mint registered 1.8M sales yesterday alone... May sales went from from 1.3M to 3.1M this morning?

Who knows what the real numbers are... I don't think the Mint does.

The April number the Mint was publishing on 4-29-2014 when plata_oro made post #251 was 4,590,500 but if you look at the Mint's website now, they are saying the April number is 3,569,000.

Looks like the Mint just bumped over a million of April's number down into the May total. ???

AprilThen&Now.jpg

Last edited:

plata_oro

Seeker
Seeker
Who knows what the real numbers are... I don't think the Mint does.

The April number the Mint was publishing on 4-29-2014 when plata_oro made post #251 was 4,590,500 but if you look at the Mint's website now, they are saying the April number is 3,569,000.

Looks like the Mint just bumped over a million of April's number down into the May total. ???

View attachment 60768
Very strange being that we're damn near two weeks into May! I recall that either last year or 2012 the Mint put the annual total in the current months total but it got corrected pretty quickly. But for a good portion of the day people actually thought the Mint had sold 17 million ounces in a month.

hernancortes

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
With the June numbers in (2.7M), sales have fallen to a normal level. Maybe 2014 can come back to this thread and gloat?

Ahillock

A nobody
Mother Lode
With the June numbers in (2.7M), sales have fallen to a normal level. Maybe 2014 can come back to this thread and gloat?
Not really because when he made his claim the sales figures were not down YOY. Even with the allocation limit sales were doing quite well.

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
I just (less than 10 minutes ago) bought a few 10's of ounces of silver. It doesn't bother me that silver may fall further still but at this moment I'd rather have the silver than the (digital) FRN's.
As I am reading this, I am planning a visit to my LCD to get one of those "green boxes". My theory is that the dollar has fallen 98% since 1913 & it certainly has no chance of a rebound.
I would rather hold metal, than paper.

Ahillock

A nobody
Mother Lode
As I am reading this, I am planning a visit to my LCD to get one of those "green boxes". My theory is that the dollar has fallen 98% since 1913 & it certainly has no chance of a rebound.
Hear, hear. I still leave a little electronic FRNs in the bank account to pay bills and look like I am playing along as well as some physical FRNs for a rainy day so that I won't have to jump into the lake and try to find my boat that sank. But I agree. This fiat experiment is over and it is a race to the bottom.

Shortstack

Bain of the Authoritarian Follower
Gold Chaser
Would love to see a pic of that monster box. And yes, I agree now would be a great time to buy. But I am waiting. The way I see it, the stock market is due for a crash. When that happens, if the metals go down, then I will buy at that point. If the metals instread skyrocket during the next market crash, I am happy with my stash and will finally get to enjoy the 'big ride' up.

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Would love to see a pic of that monster box. And yes, I agree now would be a great time to buy. But I am waiting. The way I see it, the stock market is due for a crash. When that happens, if the metals go down, then I will buy at that point. If the metals instread skyrocket during the next market crash, I am happy with my stash and will finally get to enjoy the 'big ride' up.
Here ya go. :s1:

MONSTER BOX.jpg

SongSungAU

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Here are the top 15 months. Looky there, one of the months is from the very first year these were available... 1986. The other months are all pretty recent ones. Six of the fifteen months are from this year.

Top15monthsSAEsales.jpg

395,604,000 total sold from 1986-Nov through 2014-Oct (28 years or 336 months).
217,756,000 total sold in just the last 70 months (less than 6 years).

SAEa.jpg

SAEb.jpg

SAEc.jpg

So of the nearly 396 million ounces sold since 1986, over 217 million of it has been in the last 5.8 years.
Put another way, more than 55% of all bullion silver American Eagles sold have been sold since Obama became President.

So much for hope and change... some alert folks are stocking up on silver more than ever.

Mr.Jens

Seeker
Seeker
Could there be any more wrong of a title for a thread? Talk about jumping the gun by some in this thread.

the_shootist

Old (not THAT old), but dangerous, pasty white guy
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Not too mention the mint failed to meet production, I think we could have seen a 7-8 million month if they had been able to keep up.
I'm rather suspicious that they 'failed to meet production' I think it's more of someone in DC dropped a dime and told them to halt production for a while

SilverBuyer

Silver Member
Silver Miner
I'm rather suspicious that they 'failed to meet production' I think it's more of someone in DC dropped a dime and told them to halt production for a while
There could be a shortage of available silver blanks. That is why premiums are up even on things such as generic 1 oz rounds. Silver blanks are probably being sold for a premium to their usual price right now due to a shortage.

the_shootist

Old (not THAT old), but dangerous, pasty white guy
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
There could be a shortage of available silver blanks. That is why premiums are up even on things such as generic 1 oz rounds. Silver blanks are probably being sold for a premium to their usual price right now due to a shortage.
With all due respect, I believe none of what I read and hear and only half of what I see

SilverBuyer

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Gold Sales are already closing in on last years total, 434,500 this year so far compared to 524,500 last year.

hernancortes

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Mint says they've come up with 3M blanks since July 7 sellout. That's right at 1M/week, not bad but they've done a little better in the past. I don't believe they can source a consistent number of blanks week to week with demand this high. The following is from Dave Harper's blog 7/28/15:

"There was no one-day sellout Monday. The Mint would have sold all 3 million pieces had buyers wanted them, the Mint’s Tom Jurkowski said. However, when Monday sales were added up, buyers took 1,323,500 coins, leaving 1,676,500 for today (7/28) .Jurkowski said a couple of its big buyers place their orders on Tuesday. So we will watch to see if the Mint runs out of coins today.The Mint has sold 4,032,500 coins thus far in the month of July.Should all 3 million coins be taken by buyers before August rolls around, the monthly sales total could reach 5,709,000."

Fixture

Seeker
Seeker
Mint says they've come up with 3M blanks since July 7 sellout. That's right at 1M/week, not bad but they've done a little better in the past. I don't believe they can source a consistent number of blanks week to week with demand this high... [/B]."
A few years ago I surfed a local minting facility http://sunshinemint.com/Home.aspx . While there, I distinctly remember reading that the Sunshine mint was the exclusive source for the blanks that end up as SAE's. I found it hard to believe that that this (somewhat) modest facility could produce such numbers or pre-produce millions of blanks.

This post got me curious as to the capacity of the Sunshine mint so I checked their site once again. No mention of capacity or the provision of blanks for usage as SAE's. I wonder if the US mint now has multiple sources for blanks.

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Mint says they've come up with 3M blanks since July 7 sellout. That's right at 1M/week, not bad but they've done a little better in the past. I don't believe they can source a consistent number of blanks week to week with demand this high. The following is from Dave Harper's blog 7/28/15:

"There was no one-day sellout Monday. The Mint would have sold all 3 million pieces had buyers wanted them, the Mint’s Tom Jurkowski said. However, when Monday sales were added up, buyers took 1,323,500 coins, leaving 1,676,500 for today (7/28) .Jurkowski said a couple of its big buyers place their orders on Tuesday. So we will watch to see if the Mint runs out of coins today.The Mint has sold 4,032,500 coins thus far in the month of July.Should all 3 million coins be taken by buyers before August rolls around, the monthly sales total could reach 5,709,000."
The 5,254,000 sold so far is the most the mint has ever sold in the month of July, beating July 2014 by 19.23%. 2015 is on pace to be the highest mintage year for silver eagle bullion and will best 2014 by 5.23% if the current pace continues.

Keep dropping that price paper scammers...we'll keep stacking.

SilverBuyer

Silver Member
Silver Miner
A few years ago I surfed a local minting facility http://sunshinemint.com/Home.aspx . While there, I distinctly remember reading that the Sunshine mint was the exclusive source for the blanks that end up as SAE's. I found it hard to believe that that this (somewhat) modest facility could produce such numbers or pre-produce millions of blanks.

This post got me curious as to the capacity of the Sunshine mint so I checked their site once again. No mention of capacity or the provision of blanks for usage as SAE's. I wonder if the US mint now has multiple sources for blanks.
Can't remember where I read it (or I'd post a link) but I vaguely recall seeing the mint did start sourcing blanks from additional mints.

hernancortes

Gold Member
Gold Chaser

I did read an interview published last year with an official from Sunshine and in it he said that they had just completed an expansion allowing a doubling of their production and hence the ability to provide far more product to the mint. I believe the mint also sources from at least 2 other producers. Anyway in the FY2014 annual report the mint claims they can source more than 50M blanks a year. I believe their current production ability is right near that number also.

Fixture

Seeker
Seeker
Can't remember where I read it (or I'd post a link) but I vaguely recall seeing the mint did start sourcing blanks from additional mints.
The sourcing is an interesting prospect that got me thinking about what the buyer (.gov) is paying for their blanks/planchets.

I launched an unsuccessful search of the current/archived contracts at https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&tab=search&mode=list . I never really thought how a contract would be structured for au/ag, a somewhat volatile commodity.

Maybe I'll snoop around the fbo page when I have more time. I wonder what premium is charged to the gov and what the actual cost of the planchets are pre-minting.