• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Gold-Silver Ratio 2021 Edition

plata_oro

Seeker
Seeker
I think in last years thread there was a chart where to swap back and forth. If played right a person could trade back and forth and end up with more but it moves slow generally. The latest premiums make it harder also.
That's always the problem. Everybody likes to sight the paper GSR but it really has been relevant that last year. The premiums were much closer to spot in the first 3/4's of 2019. Ever since then it seems like premiums have soared especially for silver. But now gold is seeing it happen too.

A 2021 1/10 ozt AGE on goldeneaglecoin.com going for $241 as I write this. You can get a 1 ducat gold coin for $212 and get even more gold content. My LCS won't pay you the premium if you need to sell.

Just in case anyone is interested in the 1 ducat gold coin. I purchased 1 in early January and they just now are processing the payment and I should get a tracking # next week. We're talking two months delivery. I did pay by paper check but it usually takes a couple of weeks. Crazy times we are living in.....

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
I read www.jsmineset for Comex contracts daily, but have seen no large delivery orders. Question, where do industrial companies, private mints, US mint, acquire the silver to manufacture their rounds, bars, coins....? I believe they are buying their silver from other sources so as to not effect corrupted paper Comex prices. Anyone have ideas?
Wholesalers/refiners supply the raw silver, which presumably they get from miners/recyclers. I know the US mint sources blanks from multiple sources(private mints).

The current physical silver shortage is now at the wholesaler/refiner level...hence higher premiums on 1000oz London delivery bars.

D-FENZ

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
I think the silver squeeze is starting to show up. Noticed that gold has been slightly red the last few days while silver is slightly green. We are at 66.6:1 now.

The 10% pop last Monday was the earthquake, and the tsunami will be delivery (and options expiry between now and April).
I noticed that too and was thinking that silver may have already done 'squoze'.

I read www.jsmineset for Comex contracts daily, but have seen no large delivery orders. Question, where do industrial companies, private mints, US mint, acquire the silver to manufacture their rounds, bars, coins....? I believe they are buying their silver from other sources so as to not effect corrupted paper Comex prices. Anyone have ideas?
The only logical place for the fabrication companies to acquire their silver would be at the source, the mines or more likely the refiners. It wouldn't make a lot of sense to me to add COMEX as a middleman unless the paper market is part of their hedging strategy and a trade blew up. Even then it would probably be easier and more efficient to settle for cash and still go get the metal from the source.

Uglytruth

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Maybe we should be playing the premiums instead of playing victim and let them set the terms. Paying $1 oz was one thing but paying $5+ an oz is another. Has anyone called & said I will sell you 100 Silver Rounds in new condition for Spot + $1 leaving them with a $4 + profit & making two customers happy? Why take 92% or less of spot. There is a shortage & if they have nothing to sell they are making zero.

D-FENZ

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Jeebus! Wasn't that long ago that it was almost double that ratio. And it's been dropping pretty fast. I hope the 30s can wait for spring. I don't do well with a pickaxe chopping through 4 feet of frost in sub-zero weather. But snowshoes, snow shovel, backpack and pickaxe are at the ready. Might need to pick up a couple bags of charcoal too.

WillA2

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Well, the best I can figure, that is making my SWAG about silver spot price in reality, the GSR is closer to 52:1. This is assuming a more reasonable spot price for silver being in the nighborhood of $35/ounce.

WillA2

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
All that said, I know the market spot price for silver is about $28.00. Where can you find it for that price?

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
All that said, I know the market spot price for silver is about $28.00. Where can you find it for that price?
Not sure. Even 1k delivery bars are running 1.75 bucks over spot...when there are any to buy.

BigJim#1-8

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Well, the best I can figure, that is making my SWAG about silver spot price in reality, the GSR is closer to 52:1. This is assuming a more reasonable spot price for silver being in the nighborhood of $35/ounce.
Quick example from Colorado Gold.
AGE-$1954.00
ASE-$35.00
Ratio-55.8/1 @ their prices with premiums included.

Last edited:

Uglytruth

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Has anyone contacted a dealer about how they will work trades NOT frn SALES from silver to gold? Lets say Gold is 2K an oz & silver is $50 an oz. That's a 40:1 ratio. How would a trade work? Forget the frn part of this deal and shipping also so as not to confuse things. They are charging a heck of a premium and physical supply is short. So would they "trade" straight up & make the money on their premiums?

At 40:1 if you traded in 200 oz silver would they trade you straight up for 5 oz gold? Would they want 220 oz (10% premium) for 5 oz? Is it negotiable?

D-FENZ

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Has anyone contacted a dealer about how they will work trades NOT frn SALES from silver to gold? Lets say Gold is 2K an oz & silver is $50 an oz. That's a 40:1 ratio. How would a trade work? Forget the frn part of this deal and shipping also so as not to confuse things. They are charging a heck of a premium and physical supply is short. So would they "trade" straight up & make the money on their premiums?

At 40:1 if you traded in 200 oz silver would they trade you straight up for 5 oz gold? Would they want 220 oz (10% premium) for 5 oz? Is it negotiable?
Yes, done it a few times. But every deal is different and it depends on the supply and demand at the particular time and what they have in stock or can get easily. Sometimes they have an abundance of something and would normally just send it off to the smelter anyway. If you can save them having to do that they would be willing to cut you a good deal. Saves them shipping costs too. And the smelters aren't paying a premium for anything- keep that in mind when you are doing your negotiations. You just have to talk to your dealer and maybe take what they have at the time. And you can't always be picky about what form it's in. And I can't stress this enough- it really helps if you already have a good relationship with your dealer.

Normally, when the ratio gets way out of whack it's because one metal is in much higher demand than the other. And that always works out perfectly for you, the one wanting to do the swap if you're trading the ratios. For example now- Say the ratio drops to the 30s. That's because everyone wants silver, not so much gold- but you have the silver if you're doing it right. The dealer will be happy to do the swap for you at a good rate. Sure, they want to get a cut too but you are doing them a favor, possibly supplying them with metal that is hard or impossible for them to come by. It's a win-win deal. And you should only ever have to give up a couple of ratio points for slippage and commissions on each trade.

If you have to pay sales tax on the deal then you need to find another dealer, maybe in another state because that can be a deal breaker.

plata_oro

Seeker
Seeker

Golden Eagle Coin & Provident (mostly likely) both will trade. They will write a PO for your sale and use the proceeds towards your purchase. Meanwhile all the banking system sees is a small amount cash going in or out of your checking account. Not enough to alert anybody or worth reporting.

My LCS asks for my ID and attaches a PO to my sale (no matter how big) and probably reports to the IRS. Provident and Golden Eagle both don't do that (attaches an ID to the sale). Golden Coin I am 100% sure of this as of last summer as I traded my silver pandas nobody seems to want out here for Perth mint gold bars. I would have to call Provident to make sure they still do as they have since been purchased by JM Bullion and they may do business differently. Keep in mind every time I have done this the $ amount (of the sale ) is under the magical $10k mark that alerts the authorities.

I have about 300 ozt's generic bullion left I am willing to trade should the ratio reach 30:1 or under. But as previously mentioned it is hard to know what they might have in stock gold wise should that happen. I prefer gold eagles but if the premium is too stiff the I would considers generic or European coins instead.

Uglytruth

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Golden Eagle Coin & Provident (mostly likely) both will trade. They will write a PO for your sale and use the proceeds towards your purchase. Meanwhile all the banking system sees is a small amount cash going in or out of your checking account. Not enough to alert anybody or worth reporting.

My LCS asks for my ID and attaches a PO to my sale (no matter how big) and probably reports to the IRS. Provident and Golden Eagle both don't do that (attaches an ID to the sale). Golden Coin I am 100% sure of this as of last summer as I traded my silver pandas nobody seems to want out here for Perth mint gold bars. I would have to call Provident to make sure they still do as they have since been purchased by JM Bullion and they may do business differently. Keep in mind every time I have done this the $ amount (of the sale ) is under the magical $10k mark that alerts the authorities.

I have about 300 ozt's generic bullion left I am willing to trade should the ratio reach 30:1 or under. But as previously mentioned it is hard to know what they might have in stock gold wise should that happen. I prefer gold eagles but if the premium is too stiff the I would considers generic or European coins instead.
How much was the slippage at the time?

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Only negotiable when you find someone willing to negotiate.
Good Luck

plata_oro

Seeker
Seeker
How much was the slippage at the time?
Provident applies the credit to your purchase as soon as they process the goods you send them. You have to pay via paper check and once you settle your sale they will process your order and if they owe you, they ACH credit or debit depending on the remaining balance (as it will never be exact).

Golden Eagle is a crapshoot right now. I am still waiting for a 1 Ducat gold coin I order January 3rd. I just got a tracker today. It hasn't taken that long in the past, but it could because of the coof. Lead times on mail are longer than normal. Whatever normal is anymore.....

<SLV>

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

#silversqueeze

<SLV>

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

Ratio still tightening in spite of the ups and downs.

I remember 60:1 being somewhat common back when I joined up with GIM originally.

1614286467306.png

This year:

1614286497926.png

<SLV>

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
32-40:1 looks like a reasonable target for this #silversqueeze:

1614286624101.png

I expect gold to be pulled up with silver, so at $2,000 gold this would make silver $50-$60.

<SLV>

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

Well that was a quick setback.

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Should be a short lived setback...given the grotesque difference in premiums between the two primary...former monetary metals. Silver bullion premiums are pushing 20%, while gold premiums are just a tad over 4% at this point. ...I wonder why...

WillA2

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Makes me think big players, somewhere, have the ability to buy PMs quietly and un noticed while they paper the market.

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Makes me think big players, somewhere, have the ability to buy PMs quietly and un noticed while they paper the market.
That's exactly what they're doing and you needn't wonder who's stacking either...they'll tell you, you need only know where to look.

https://www.cmegroup.com/delivery_reports/MetalsIssuesAndStopsYTDReport.pdf

I doubt anyone will be surprised to learn that banksters say one thing while doing another...

1614372300926.png

Record physical gold bullion deliveries? ...at the crimex? By the banksters? These the same banksters that recommend NOT stacking gold? Weird.

oldgaranddad

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
That's exactly what they're doing and you needn't wonder who's stacking either...they'll tell you, you need only know where to look.

https://www.cmegroup.com/delivery_reports/MetalsIssuesAndStopsYTDReport.pdf

I doubt anyone will be surprised to learn that banksters say one thing while doing another...

View attachment 202954

Record physical gold bullion deliveries? ...at the crimex? By the banksters? These the same banksters that recommend NOT stacking gold? Weird.
I wonder how much silver went out the back door, only to go around the block and then be brought in the front door as a new delivery? Come on! You know they are doing it.