• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Gold / Silver ratio revisited

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I fully intend on swapping this for gold years down the line (running out of room in my small safe) and I hope I could possibly cash in on some type of numismatic value if possible.
Feel free to store them in my safe, buddy. There's lots of room.

Uglytruth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Used my debit card on Eagles, I know I always harp on about maples having security features, but I haven’t seen any fake sealed monster boxes ever. I digress.

$17.51042 per coin. When I ordered spot was $14.3? according to APMEX.

I fully intend on swapping this for gold years down the line (running out of room in my small safe) and I hope I could possibly cash in on some type of numismatic value if possible.

69.78130735870413 Ratio for this purchase.
I think that is a smart move. Been thinking of doing just that myself. Even if a smaller amount just buy it to off it as trade stock in the future.
Long time ago someone posted about trading oz for oz depending on the ratio. More oz in your posession is the goal.

BigJim#1-8

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
86.7/1 per coininfo as of this post. Where it goes, no one knows.

BigJim#1-8

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Metals up, GSR plummets to 84.9/1 as of this post.

Palladium within $20 of Gold...?

BigJim#1-8

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
85.68 for the weekend.

BigJim#1-8

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
84.88/1 as of this post. Haven't seen sub 85 for a while.

BigJim#1-8

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Ratio above 85 AGain. 85.19/1 per coininfo as of this post.

BigJim#1-8

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Au & Ag up this AM. Still 85.14/1 per coininfo as of this post.

BigJim#1-8

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Metals down after rate hike. 85.52/1 per coininfo as of this post.

BigJim#1-8

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
We're over 86 now. There is room to get to 90 if TPTB decide to make it so. All it would take would be 1260:14. Just sayin...
Yep, 86.08/1 per coininfo.

BigJim#1-8

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
84.86/1 per coininfo as of this post. Good to see metals going up.

BigJim#1-8

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
83.9/1 as of this post.

BigJim#1-8

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Well, closed 2018 @ 83.2/1. Happy New Year everyone!

BigJim#1-8

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
82.73/1 per coininfo. Haven't seen sub 83 for a while.

BigJim#1-8

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
81.86/1 per coininfo with Au down.

D-FENZ

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
81.86/1 per coininfo with Au down.
Yep, no real reason other than my guts, but after about 83:1 on the GSR I figured that it would revert to more normal levels from a drop in the POG rather than a rise in the POS. And I think it might get really ugly really quickly too. 3-4 points is nothing.
JM2c

savvydon

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Yep, no real reason other than my guts, but after about 83:1 on the GSR I figured that it would revert to more normal levels from a drop in the POG rather than a rise in the POS. And I think it might get really ugly really quickly too. 3-4 points is nothing.
JM2c
You think the bottom is about to drop out of gold?

D-FENZ

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
You think the bottom is about to drop out of gold?
Again, just a hunch...

Normally silver flies out of the gate with gold slowly joining any rallies. That has historically served to keep the GSR within normal bounds. But that is not happening with this latest run-up in the GSR to its extended, off-the-charts stay above 80. An abnormal GSR will likely be fixed with more abnormal price action. A drop in the POG would fit that scenario nicely.

Swapping the GSR really takes the price pressure out of the equation and focuses the mind and energies on increasing the quantities with every swap without regard to the price. And being a disciple of the GSR and having completely and properly swapped in the upper 70s, any mechanism to validate my move would suit me. Call it mental accounting or whatever, that's where my money's at.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
When the GSR reaches 17:1 <<-- That's when I will consider restructuring. Until then, I will maintain the 50-50 I've had for the last forty years.

D-FENZ

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
When the GSR reaches 17:1 <<-- That's when I will consider restructuring. Until then, I will maintain the 50-50 I've had for the last forty years.
I couldn't imagine. Just curious though, a purchase price or weight based 50-50 split?

savvydon

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Again, just a hunch...

Normally silver flies out of the gate with gold slowly joining any rallies. That has historically served to keep the GSR within normal bounds. But that is not happening with this latest run-up in the GSR to its extended, off-the-charts stay above 80. An abnormal GSR will likely be fixed with more abnormal price action. A drop in the POG would fit that scenario nicely.

Swapping the GSR really takes the price pressure out of the equation and focuses the mind and energies on increasing the quantities with every swap without regard to the price. And being a disciple of the GSR and having completely and properly swapped in the upper 70s, any mechanism to validate my move would suit me. Call it mental accounting or whatever, that's where my money's at.
I guess the two ways for the GSR to come down are for the POG to drop or POS to rise, directly, relative to one another or some combination therof. The equation gets complicated by what is happening in the rest of the financial world. Additionally, most people, when swapping out, will have to pay at least a small vig to whoever is assisting them with their efforts. For this reason I try not to be too sensitive to little bumps in the GSR, but rather look at the big picture. I don’t know if I will be as radical as Unca Walt, but I will probably hold off trying to swap any silver for gold until the GSR comes down toward 60 or so. Of course, like any prudent trading, it is worthwhile to think about scaling in, as one never knows the depth or breadth of any particular move.

the_shootist

Molon Labe! Deplorable Dreg!
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
https://www.barrons.com/articles/go...oming-you-do-the-math-1537582480?mod=barpkt19

Gold has gotten a bad rap.

Long seen as the investment choice of the cranky and the fearful, the metal yields nothing; as Warren Buffett has said, it just “looks at you.”

This year has been especially lackluster for gold. Its price has slumped 8%, to about $1,200 an ounce, and is off more than 35% from its high of $1,900 in 2011. Adding insult to injury, Vanguard will soon rechristen the largest gold-oriented U.S. mutual fund and shift its focus away from the metal

BigJim#1-8

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
82.61/1 per coininfo this mid AM.

BigJim#1-8

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
82.95/1 as of his post. Approaching 83 again...

BigJim#1-8

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Metals up a bit. 83.16/1 as of this post.

savvydon

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Well above 83 again. Seems that every time there is a concerted effort to push the precious metal prices down these days silver gets hit harder than gold, thus increasing the GSR. Seems to me we will know that intense efforts at market suppression are taking a breather when we see the GSR relax down below 80.

BigJim#1-8

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
83.71/1 for the weekend.

BigJim#1-8

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
84/1 per coininfo as of this post.

Rusty Shackelford

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Again, just a hunch...

Question.....do you swap gold for silver or do you buy into Irons thought that gold is just to hard to get to swap once in your hands?

D-FENZ

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Question.....do you swap gold for silver or do you buy into Irons thought that gold is just to hard to get to swap once in your hands?
I started swapping out of gold when the GSR was in the upper 60s and low 70s. Sure, I wish now that I didn't start so soon but I would start there again next time. But, before this updraft in the GSR I got most of the silver that was swapped for in the 40:1 area. Some even in the mid 30s.

The only gold I have that hasn't been swapped is the ring on my finger and some gold fingers from some boards that haven't been taken to the smelter yet. Otherwise nothin'.

Just doing swaps sure takes the angst out of watching the price. And each round turn on swaps, even with slippage/commisions, handily winds up being a 3 bagger. It's all good.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
We might have another indicator signaling the 'next leg up' in terms of Gold / Silver ratio.

When we look at the latest recent highs (Aug-Sept 2011) of Gold in the $1899 range & Silver in the $45 per oz. range, the ratio was shortened to 42:1. Before that a few years earlier it was Gold $900 with Silver being in the $13 range or 70:1........with many here highlighting that great imbalance.

Once again we have the G/S ratio way outta whack with $1256 Au and $17.47 Ag.........which is a ratio of 72:1 !

The Silver Bull is about to be let out of the gates once again.

~AD~

That will be 3 years ago this October.
Who forgot to unlock the gate?...

In the meantime, I am still stacking and silver is at fire sale prices.

485F66BB-BD43-49A1-A6FA-F8FE2BE3686C.jpeg

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
Gold / Silver ratio apparently doesn't mean anything..... I viewed it at the time as a pressure imbalanced like a spring but that was incorrect.

This economy isn't that logical and refuses to acknowledge barberous relics of the past.

savvydon

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Gold / Silver ratio apparently doesn't mean anything..... I viewed it at the time as a pressure imbalanced like a spring but that was incorrect.

This economy isn't that logical and refuses to acknowledge barberous relics of the past.
I think you were right then. You are just more right now. The spring is coiled tighter than ever. Keep stacking.