• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Goldbay: Buy Practice Gold Panning paydirt without getting ripped off

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
WOW, this is an interesting hobby and the video was quite informative
Any hobby that leads to Gold in hand is a great hobby, and you don't have to spend much $$ to get set up for it.
Everybody will develop their own methods and style as they learn and seeing Gold emerge from the black sands as you pan is better than any drug the dr. could prescribe.

Goldbay's California paydirt is pretty easy, dredge concentrates from Alaska and dry washer concentrates from the desert are very difficult. The hard to pan paydirt forces you to slow down and learn new methods.

:meditation:

rte

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
I got some of them dry washer concentrates from the desert today.
My take from 15 5 gallon buckets straight from the source.
Screenshot_20210326-190321_Gallery.jpg

Buck

Mother Lode Found
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
stupid question...

:don't know:

vichris

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
I joined a local gold prospecting club. I wasn't well prepared but we went out to one of our local claims today to try some metal detecting. Found lots of lead and wire, but no gold.

Got me 2 bags of paydirt from Goldbay last night. I'll probably pan them out sometime next week. Got a couple of little little nuggets for practicing with my metal detector too.

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Goldbay has a sale going on advertised in the GPAA magazine, 5 grams of chunky Gold paydirt for $299 plus shipping with code XMAS21!

Good deal on some pretty Gold that's easy to pan out......compared to the fly poops sprinkled in black sand I find in the wild. I sold some Goldbay placer back in July to pay for my arm surgery so I need to stock back up on it I have several bags set aside to pan over the winter. The big vial you see in the last picture is 100 grams of Alaska placer I ran through my gutter sluice over the summer. I have got to go to Alaska and see Gold like this in a pan for real.

Hey, it's more fun than buying coins! . . :2 thumbs up:

rs1.jpg
rs2.jpg
rs3.jpg
rs4.jpg
rs5.jpg

rte

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Goldbay has a sale going on advertised in the GPAA magazine, 5 grams of chunky Gold paydirt for $299 plus shipping with code XMAS21!

Thats a Good deal.
In fact, I just paid a bit more for smaller pieces (ebay, my bad)
Screenshot_20211204-153519_eBay.jpg
need to get back to work...all the eye candy is adding up.
Screenshot_20211206-065136_eBay.jpg

mexico2009c.jpg

And a Johnson Matthey & Mallory Canada 20 OZ.TR
One of 25 acording to allengelhard.com

Screenshot_20211206-065220_eBay.jpg

Last edited:

rte

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
That should be sufficient for a $2 drop in spot prices for silver and a $20 drop in spot gold.

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score

Good deal on some pretty Gold that's easy to pan out......compared to the fly poops sprinkled in black sand I find in the wild. I sold some Goldbay placer back in July to pay for my arm surgery so I need to stock back up on it I have several bags set aside to pan over the winter. The big vial you see in the last picture is 100 grams of Alaska placer I ran through my gutter sluice over the summer. I have got to go to Alaska and see Gold like this in a pan for real.

View attachment 235769View attachment 235770View attachment 235771View attachment 235772View attachment 235773
You can use the coupon code on this special more than once I just bought another bag last night. Also Dave is adding 5% more Gold to every bag before he leaves for vacation Dec 17.

83c74c2eb09b75a4391511b43ebe0369939fe16e.png
Christmas is coming​
I am doing something COMPLETELY different to save time, ALL Goldbay Paydirt and Screen Gold products will contain 5% more gold in your order from today until Dec 17th. NO COUPON NEEDED, JUST PLACE YOUR ORDER AND I WILL ADD EXTRA GOLD!

I am leaving for Cancun on Dec 22nd and am not guaranteeing any Christmas deliveries unless you order now.​

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
I have been processing $1,000 worth of Alaska dredge man concentrates, approx 42 pounds for the last month and I'm hoping to get the last of it done this weekend. Started out classifying all of it to #10, then down to kitchen strainer size. I just finished removing the magnetics from the minus kitchen strainer size and washing it so it doesn't muddy up my recirculating sluice water.

Finally I can start running it and panning the tailings to make sure the sluice is not missing anything. I have already recovered $962 out of the plus 10 and plus kitchen strainer sizes so it will be cool to see what the total will be with the fine Gold added.

.:2 thumbs up:

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
You can use the coupon code on this special more than once I just bought another bag last night. Also Dave is adding 5% more Gold to every bag before he leaves for vacation Dec 17.

83c74c2eb09b75a4391511b43ebe0369939fe16e.png
Christmas is coming​
I am doing something COMPLETELY different to save time, ALL Goldbay Paydirt and Screen Gold products will contain 5% more gold in your order from today until Dec 17th. NO COUPON NEEDED, JUST PLACE YOUR ORDER AND I WILL ADD EXTRA GOLD!

I am leaving for Cancun on Dec 22nd and am not guaranteeing any Christmas deliveries unless you order now.​

I grabbed a bag of that for Christmas , it is difficult to turn down free gold

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Kitchen sluicing and panning set up. Took some trial and error but I got it down to the functional basics.
It's fun and you can really blow through pounds of prepped paydirt in a hurry with this set up!

kitchensluice.jpg

Goldhedge

Retired
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I don't think I could get the wife to let me take over the kitchen like that.

I'd never hear the end of "MY WOOD FLOOR!"

How'd you pump the water to the gutter sluce?

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
I don't think I could get the wife to let me take over the kitchen like that.

I'd never hear the end of "MY WOOD FLOOR!"

How'd you pump the water to the gutter sluce?
Fish tank pump, the flow control is inline on the water hose. I can be set up and running in 10 minutes and also take it all down and be out of there in 10 minutes. Mobility and simplicity is the key, complicated gets to be work and that's no fun.

That floor is the vinyl planks that look like wood. Best floor I have ever bought so far!

I keep several junk towels handy to get spills. Because yeah, you're gonna get wet.

. :2 thumbs up:

rte

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
I picked up the same cleanup sluice.
Didn't get the leg kit as I'll make my own out of some scrap marine grade plastic wood.
What's the rate of drop 2 inch?
We did a quick cleanup and the black v type mat really works well.
I picked up an 80gph aquarium pump and the water flow is just about spot on.

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
I picked up the same cleanup sluice.
Didn't get the leg kit as I'll make my own out of some scrap marine grade plastic wood.
What's the rate of drop 2 inch?
We did a quick cleanup and the black v type mat really works well.
I picked up an 80gph aquarium pump and the water flow is just about spot on.
Yep you want a 2 inch drop. The mat in these things is amazing, I kept adding more and more scoops expecting the Gold to start flushing out the end and it never lost more than normal. I usually find one or two small pieces of Gold in the tailings dish every time it fills up. Almost always it's a light little flake or a piece of wire Gold that rolled all the way down the sluice.

I ran close to twenty pounds of washed and de magnetized concentrates last night and only did 3 clean outs. You can see all of it in the glass bowl on the counter and the tupperware dish by the sluice on the table. It reduced all that to a tiny amount of cons I'll pan out tomorrow and post the results. It's a fun sluice to run, I'm out of dredge concentrates for now so I won't be needing it again for a while.

Last edited:

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
We ran a bag of classified amazon paydirt thru our sluice that is like yours. I reran the waste a second time, and there was nothing in it. I need to get more dirt.

Irons how did you demagnetize the concentrate. I have a small bag here of my cleanouts, but havnet tried to pan it yet. I have picked some magnetic stuff out of it for fun, w a magnet, but always just put it back because I dont know what im doing.

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
We ran a bag of classified amazon paydirt thru our sluice that is like yours. I reran the waste a second time, and there was nothing in it. I need to get more dirt.

Irons how did you demagnetize the concentrate. I have a small bag here of my cleanouts, but havnet tried to pan it yet. I have picked some magnetic stuff out of it for fun, w a magnet, but always just put it back because I dont know what im doing.
I use one of these as long as the paydirt is totally dry. You want to lift the black sand move over and drop it several times to make sure you don't pick up any tiny Gold with it. Final pass I hold the magnet well above the black sand and let the sand jump up to the magnet. Shake it off and then drop it on a paper plate.

s-l1600.jpg

For wet paydirt I use a smaller pen magnet well under the water and do the same lift, move and drop then finally remove. You are doing the same thing as you would with the dry paydirt just keep it under water throughout the process. And with a smaller magnet.

PS3.jpg

Joe King

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
You are doing the same thing as you would with the dry paydirt just keep it under water throughout the process. And with a smaller magnet.
Small as in size, or magnetic attraction?

When I tried this awhile back, I just put a harddrive magnet in a baggie and then put that in the bottom of a small plastic cup (9 oz size), which I then used in the wet (flooded) paydirt in the pan.

I'd never done any of this before and was improvising, but it seemed to work ok.

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Small as in size, or magnetic attraction

I do both. Gold is way more likely to stick to the black sand when it's wet so you have to be more careful.

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Got the cons cleaned up and real happy with the total! Pretty cool to get a round number considering I combined the 8 pound bags of paydirt from a few different orders. I put captions in the pictures instead of trying to explain them all.

RSS1.jpg
RSS2.jpg
RSS3.jpg
RSS4.jpg
RSS5.jpg
RSS6.jpg
RSS7.jpg
RSS8.jpg
RSS9.jpg

savvydon

Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Got the cons cleaned up and real happy with the total! Pretty cool to get a round number considering I combined the 8 pound bags of paydirt from a few different orders. I put captions in the pictures instead of trying to explain them all.

View attachment 239406View attachment 239407View attachment 239408View attachment 239409View attachment 239410View attachment 239411View attachment 239412View attachment 239413View attachment 239414
Impressive! If you had to take a guess how long do you think it took you to pan that gold from start to finish?

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Impressive! If you had to take a guess how long do you think it took you to pan that gold from start to finish?
Probably 12 or 14 hours total. His 8 pound super bags are always a little over weight so I figures around 42 pounds of concentrates. First I classified it all down to 12 mesh, then 10, then kitchen strainer. The plus 12 and plus 10 panned pretty fast because they are big chunks of Gold. I ended up with a 1 gallon zip lock bag full of plus kitchen strainer size so that was probably 8 or 10 pounds of panning.

Prepping the fines for the sluice took 4 hours of removing magnetics and then washing. Banging it all through the sluice took probably 4 hours and finally cleaning the fine concentrates took 3 hours.

It's a bit of time consuming work for sure, and that's why Dean sells it to me. Those guys in Alaska running a 10 inch dredge on the river don't have time to dink around with all this small stuff. They probably get the 95% or so that they can get easily and sell the rest.

VTEEZER

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Question! Any idea of the purity of that gold? I'm getting interested but read somewhere the purity can range from 70-90%. Also read gold in Vermont has the the highest purity close to 24 KT. It seems to me the purity would come into play when selling.

rte

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Question! Any idea of the purity of that gold? I'm getting interested but read somewhere the purity can range from 70-90%. Also read gold in Vermont has the the highest purity close to 24 KT. It seems to me the purity would come into play when selling.
Most range between 20k and 22k.
That's pretty much what people price it for.
If you buy enough volume it would pay to have the equipment to verify the karat.

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Dave at Goldbay said his paydirt is north Idaho Gold and ranges from 88 to 92%. I keep the Gold from each location separated. When I sold some Goldbay Gold to my LCS he tested it and it was 90%. The Gold I get from Alaska is from the 40 mile river ~ 40 mile mining district. 40 mile river Gold averages 809, so it's approx 20k also.

Last edited:

VTEEZER

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Price

DAvignon 23pc Gold Panning Kit 14 12 10 8 Black Gold Pans Mini Sluice Box & More, Opens in a new tab
Qty:
Qty:1

$69.95

I did some panning in Georgia and Colorado in my younger days but don't have any equipment right now. I've got some spots I want to try this Summer. God willing! I don't want to make a big investment at this point. This looks like a reasonable price for this kit. Any opinions?

rte

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Price

DAvignon 23pc Gold Panning Kit 14 12 10 8 Black Gold Pans Mini Sluice Box & More, Opens in a new tab
Qty:
Qty:1

$69.95

I did some panning in Georgia and Colorado in my younger days but don't have any equipment right now. I've got some spots I want to try this Summer. God willing! I don't want to make a big investment at this point. This looks like a reasonable price for this kit. Any opinions?
That sluice is a Mini...really to small for any creeks.

Screenshot_20220105-153351_Chrome.jpg

I'd go with a brand name starter kit.
Garrett makes pretty good stuff.
The rest of the little bits are cheap.

VTEEZER

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Thanks! I was only going to use the sluice at the house to process concentrates. Where I'm going you need a permit to run a sluice. If I get serious I'll build a big sluice and fork over the $50 for a permit. I'll take a look at Garrett stuff though.

VTEEZER

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
After looking around and comparing prices, I decided to go with the ADvignon kit. When I get it I'll post an honest review of the quality.

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
After looking around and comparing prices, I decided to go with the ADvignon kit. When I get it I'll post an honest review of the quality.
This is my favorite pan for panning over a tub, I have 2 of them. I use a Garrett super sluice in the wild though because you can process a ton of dirt in a super sluice.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
This is my favorite pan for panning over a tub, I have 2 of them. I use a Garrett super sluice in the wild though because you can process a ton of dirt in a super sluice.

that is the one I use too

say , please remind me to only order bags of chunky gold

trying to process and capture all the flour gold is driving me nuts

3A00A9F0-1242-47B1-B1EE-1DA37583DB46.jpeg

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Kitchen sluicing and panning set up. Took some trial and error but I got it down to the functional basics.
It's fun and you can really blow through pounds of prepped paydirt in a hurry with this set up!

View attachment 239118
Oh sh!t....looks terminal! I'll go warn the others to get a vaccine...

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Dave at Goldbay said his paydirt is north Idaho Gold and ranges from 88 to 92%. I keep the Gold from each location separated. When I sold some Goldbay Gold to my LCS he tested it and it was 90%. The Gold I get from Alaska is from the 40 mile river ~ 40 mile mining district. 40 mile river Gold averages 809, so it's approx 20k also.

What's your guy test with?

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
that is the one I use too

say , please remind me to only order bags of chunky gold

trying to process and capture all the flour gold is driving me nuts

View attachment 239920
That is about as far as I got in the process as well.
Patience, Grasshoppers. You can do it. Watch some videos to get ideas and you will develop your own methods of getting that flour Gold cleaned up. Every time I was ready to throw the damn pan and it's contents out the window I reminded myself I got it way easier than the old timers did. Frozen fingers in an icy mountain creek or covered in mosquitoes and black flies in Alaska, or getting your brains cooked out in some desert.

My panning last winter going from chunky Gold to small Gold to finally dredge and drywasher concentrates is the only reason I can pan that tiny flour Gold I find here in Michigan. It's a challenge, but it's fun and if there's Gold around I'll find it!

You can see in the pictures I posted I used the side of my 11" green Gold catcher pan for cleaning up the + 50 mesh and switched to using the bottom of my blue Falcon clean up pan for the - 50. You learn things as you go!

Last edited:

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Well, taking a chance on this one. New seller, no reviews of the paydirt but it's coming from an actual Gold camp in Chicken Alaska.
Forty pounds, yes I have the gear to run that no problem. This ought to be a fun one to review on this thread!

Will I get ripped off? We'll see I guess! . . . :mining:

rte

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Irons, post: 2358529, member:

Will I get ripped off? We'll see I guess!
[/QUOTE]

I would have waited for someone else to leave feedback.