• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Government mobilises 6.4 tonne gold under monetisation scheme

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
all that glitters....

Government mobilises 6.4 tonne gold under monetisation scheme

By PTI | Updated: Mar 10, 2017

NEW DELHI: The government has collected 6.4 tonnes of gold under the scheme for monetising the metal, Parliament was informed today.

Launched in November 2015, the scheme intends to mobilise idle gold held by households and institutions so that the wealth can be put to productive use.

The scheme also intends to reduce the current account deficit by lowering country's reliance on gold imports to meet the domestic demand, Minister of State for Finance Arun Ram Meghwal sai ..

Read more at:
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...ofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
How do they "mobilize idle gold held by households"? Does that mean confiscate? That's what it sounds like to me.

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Mobilized... hummm. Now that's an interesting term.

I think I might keep my eye on this word for further developments.

BF

Montecristo

Silver Member
Silver Miner
I have a customer who is Indian. He's been talking aboutthis for a while. The plan, as he described it to me, is to set up a way that Indians can place their gold with he Government and borrow funds against it to invest. The goal is to take that money that Indians have tied up in gold that they have just sitting there and pump it into the active economy.

It's a move right out of the Keynesian play book.. Savings (the gold Indians have stashed for emergency) are bad for the economy and debt (borrow on your assets) is good.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
If you don't hold it...

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Lets
Think

the population of India holds some 20,000 tonnes

I am going to scare them

by saying

Boo

YGBSM
doubt your going to scare them.......but if indian government scemes to gain possession of all that physical gold ....a BOO from them might scare a lot of people

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
I have a customer who is Indian. He's been talking aboutthis for a while. The plan, as he described it to me, is to set up a way that Indians can place their gold with he Government and borrow funds against it to invest. The goal is to take that money that Indians have tied up in gold that they have just sitting there and pump it into the active economy.

It's a move right out of the Keynesian play book.. Savings (the gold Indians have stashed for emergency) are bad for the economy and debt (borrow on your assets) is good.
Or in other words, time to mortgage the farm.

Ragnarok

I'd rather be
Midas Member
"Idle" gold. What a moronic concept. That's what gold does best, conserve value through (interesting) time(s)!

"Brokers and traders will show you, "turn your gold into wealth", "put it to productive use, Trade It"! "Sell your gold and buy it again, many times". "Do this and find the value lost from your youth"! But I say, spend your time in the company of truly wealthy ones, see how they make gold lie very still!"
-Another

R.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Are there no boats in India?

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter

dacrunch

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Are there no boats in India?
They have hundreds (thousands) of "Temples" to "Obscure Gods", with TONS of Gold (& jewels) in their basements... Some they've even forgotten about! (article a few years back).

Ragnarok

I'd rather be
Midas Member
But can they buy it back, or is it lost to them for good?

R.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Seems like to me once the government has a cla

R.
supposed to be collateral (so returnable).......but my conspiracy radar would suspect differently....it seems very convienent for the govenment should they need it to have access to a "free" gold supply

Montecristo

Silver Member
Silver Miner

R.
Seems like to me once the government has a cla

supposed to be collateral (so returnable).......but my conspiracy radar would suspect differently....it seems very convienent for the govenment should they need it to have access to a "free" gold supply
[]
The plan was/is that when people give their gold to the gov't and borrow against it, the gov't would in turn lease the gold out to jewelers to put back into the market. As far as I know India doesn't have any gold mines so they import tons and tons of gold throwing off their trade balance.
Money leaves India to import bullion so jewelers can turn it into jewelry which Indians buy and stash at home. It's a problem for their economy/money velocity as seen by the gov't. So the gov't plan is to recirculate the gold already in the country.

It sounds an awful lot to me like the gov't wants to set up a fractional reserve lending system with the gold their citizens have worked so hard to accumulate for security.

latemetal

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Well we Americans gave our government our gold, see how well that worked for us....

madhu

Silver Member
Silver Miner

The government assays it makes sure its real gold and then they melt it and when you want it back they give you gold covered tungsten. No one trusts Mr Modi, he is called Feku, meaning trickster

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
It sounds an awful lot to me like the gov't wants to set up a fractional reserve lending system with the gold their citizens have worked so hard to accumulate for security.

I would call that a Bullseye Bingo statement there exactly my thoughts.......Fractionalize the hell outa it and keep debasing the currency.....trade them bad money for good money...