• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Government shutdown & my new 300 BLK rifle.

Shortstack

Bain of the Authoritarian Follower
Gold Chaser
Have to wait a bit longer to get my first rifle, a SBR (eight inch) 300 Blackout with pinned silencer - you can just see the end of the silencer in the pic below. I can shoot it at my local brick and mortar but it sits in their safe until my Form 1 and 4 clear. I called silencer shop because I have been waiting six months (check cashed in early July) and they told me that the clock stopped in mid December, the government shutdown meant that processing was on hold until after they all return from work. And, judging from the dates of my purchase and when the check was then cashed, my application was likely on the inspectors desk, and that if the shutdown had not happened, my paperwork would have been approved by now. He also suspected that once they return to work, it would take a bit of time for the inspectors to ramp up again. You can just barely see the end of the silencer below, I have a one of the new Trijicon "VCOG" sights for it, they are a new and different take on the classic ACOG sight, being 1-6 so a red dot for close range and six times magnification for distance.

The rifle was built by 'Delta Level Defense", a group of vets who set up shop 25 minutes from my house. Being new and small, the company has a great personal touch philosophy - I will take this directly to DLD and the owner will install an adjustable gas block so that I can switch from regular to subs with a simple adjustment. He will then tune the rifle to shoot one type of sub sonic ammo, this way I will have zero chance of FTF or other issues.
300 Blackout 1.JPG

I agree with the shutdown, even if it means I have to wait for this rifle. So I am having a 16 inch .223 being built to me right now, which should be ready at month's end, maybe sooner. Being in CT means I have to start with a preban lower if I want a full length stock. The preban lower was $1,500 but was in perfect shape. I based my build around that preban lower, which are getting a bit harder to find these days. This will be my 3 gun rifle for the upcoming summer season. The 300 blackout will be my bedside home defense weapon.

dozer99

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Just out of curiosity why did you go with a pinned silencer? Are you not allowed to swap it to another gun (in CT)?

Shortstack

Gold Chaser
Not sure if it's pinned. My first black rifle and I have not done any research either. I paid by $4,400 and the fully built rifle arrived a month later. I have only shot it once because of feeding issues when switching between full power and subsonic ammo. No place to clean the rifle or silencer at this gunstore/range so I have only shot it for one session, maybe putting 50 rounds through it. I will take a full set of lessons from the Vets at DLD once the paperwork finally clears.

Pistol is another story. I shoot in the expert group at a weekly steel plate match. Toughest room in CT I am told, but maybe this is because there are so few indoor plate matches in CT to begin with. Just the same, a busy night means 40-50 guys show up, grouped into beginner, intermediate, or expert. We get a decent amount of LEO and veterans that show up regularly, so it normally takes a sub 5 second round to win an expert match.

The set up is simple. Two guys, two horizontal plate racks, set at 43 feet from the firing line. Each rack has six round plates, each plate is about eight inches across. At the buzzer, you shoot the yellow plate, than any of the white plates, and the red plate last. First guy to knock down all six wins. If you can knock all six down in 5-6 seconds (usually means no missed shots) than you will generally win that match up. Double elimination on busy nights, triple on normal nights. Some of the LEO's and vets clear their rack in five seconds but with one or two missed shots - but those guys are in a whole different league. It's mostly center fire major caliber, with a few special nights (22 pistol, large bore, BUG gun, 22 rifle). I usually spend half the night RO'ing one of the two shooting lanes.
Plate shoot.jpg

obilly

Silver Member
Silver Miner
hello SS
had feed issues with my 300AAC ,,,,,factory was right down the street so i gave them a vist. issue turn out to be the m16 bolt carrier (heavy bolt)
,they gave me a new m4 bcg (light bolt carrier), all feeding and ejecting issues corrected . if your blackout has a heavy bcg, change it out to a m4
bcg. its hard to belive that the factory would sell a 300 upper with a BCG that will not work, but they did.??????

Usury

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Personally I’d get a screw-on suppressor. Then a bolt-action rifle with subsonic ammo if you want to be “movie-quiet”.

Shortstack

Gold Chaser
Personally I’d get a screw-on suppressor. Then a bolt-action rifle with subsonic ammo if you want to be “movie-quiet”.
Not looking for movie quiet. This is my HD weapon - don’t want to blow my daughters eardrums out. Subs are prob fine for HD - that’s a 220 grain projectile doing about 1,000 FPS so about like a 45acp ++p. More than enough to put anyone down. SuperSonics are a bit louder (just below hearing safe) but pack the punch of an AK-47 round. Problem being that first round, which will be the loudest.

Shortstack

Gold Chaser
hello SS
had feed issues with my 300AAC ,,,,,factory was right down the street so i gave them a vist. issue turn out to be the m16 bolt carrier (heavy bolt)
,they gave me a new m4 bcg (light bolt carrier), all feeding and ejecting issues corrected . if your blackout has a heavy bcg, change it out to a m4
bcg. its hard to belive that the factory would sell a 300 upper with a BCG that will not work, but they did.??????
DLD is the opposite of a factory. They do mostly high end military or LEO orders. Spare time spent building high end civilian stuff like mine. At least that’s what all the LEO’s and ex military tell me at plate night. And also that I made a fine choice, especially because the place is still small enough to personalize your rifle and fine tune it. Which I plan to do once the paperwork clears. It goes right to the mothership the moment I take delivery. The owner said he had a few other special mods in mind for my rifle. Can’t wait to find out. But first, the gov shutdown has to end.

Rusty Shackelford

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Not sure if it's pinned. My first black rifle and I have not done any research either. I paid by $4,400 and the fully built rifle arrived a month later. I have only shot it once because of feeding issues when switching between full power and subsonic ammo. No place to clean the rifle or silencer at this gunstore/range so I have only shot it for one session, maybe putting 50 rounds through it. I will take a full set of lessons from the Vets at DLD once the paperwork finally clears.

Pistol is another story. I shoot in the expert group at a weekly steel plate match. Toughest room in CT I am told, but maybe this is because there are so few indoor plate matches in CT to begin with. Just the same, a busy night means 40-50 guys show up, grouped into beginner, intermediate, or expert. We get a decent amount of LEO and veterans that show up regularly, so it normally takes a sub 5 second round to win an expert match.

The set up is simple. Two guys, two horizontal plate racks, set at 43 feet from the firing line. Each rack has six round plates, each plate is about eight inches across. At the buzzer, you shoot the yellow plate, than any of the white plates, and the red plate last. First guy to knock down all six wins. If you can knock all six down in 5-6 seconds (usually means no missed shots) than you will generally win that match up. Double elimination on busy nights, triple on normal nights. Some of the LEO's and vets clear their rack in five seconds but with one or two missed shots - but those guys are in a whole different league. It's mostly center fire major caliber, with a few special nights (22 pistol, large bore, BUG gun, 22 rifle). I usually spend half the night RO'ing one of the two shooting lanes.
View attachment 122382
I shoot IDPA and we find that LEOs only come once or twice after they finish in the bottom half of shooters who are all civilians that put the time in

SilverCity

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I'd love one for a 9mm carbine, but a friend who is former LE and has an FFL waited a year to get his suppressor permit. He was not happy about it. Our County Sheriff is reportedly not pro-2A.

My former Ruger PC9 was very quiet with 147 HPs. That caliber/carbine would be my first choice.

SC

Shortstack

Gold Chaser
old school here — colt woodsman and a pillow.
How about my this for a woodsman pillow combo? Seriously, I am not planning on shooting this one, but I took the pic next to 10,000 rounds of ammo to kid a few guys on the colt forum, who told me never to shoot it.

WMT pic1.jpg

Shortstack

Gold Chaser
is that stainless? or gunblue? I can't tell.
Same as all the others. It does looked blued in that pic. My rifle with a trijicon VCOG optic. I have the green site made for 300 blackout
image.jpg

Shortstack

Gold Chaser
I also have SRS with green reticle. I have the green horseshoe reticle on the vcog
image.jpg

Shortstack

Gold Chaser
I like Trijicon products - I have already used this IR sight on my 30 caliber Impact pellet gun. You can see a mouse scurrying in the grass from 50 yards no problem.
image.jpg

oldgaranddad

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
It's BS that you have to complete ANY form for a silencer or an SBR.
At least he can. In my stupid state of N.Y. they’re banned (except for the government, of course)