• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Great Snags and WTF's???

savvydon

Gold Member
Gold Chaser

stAGgering

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Seeker

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode

Buck

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
I gave up on clad coinage from my CU until I figured out they don't regularly give out coins, they're not a business CU, so, how about $1 coins?
I already went through all their halves, LOL

Sure enough, their $1 rolls were "fresh"
2 x 2 'd lots of 'em until they weren't "fresh" anymore
LOL

Next?

stonedywankanobe

.409'er
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
@Irons. Sir I'm fixing to pull a trigger on my first sovereign. Torn between the old stuff and new, as I see the 2017 version is also in stock. It's the 200th anniversary year and I find myself leaning that way.

Do you have a preference? i no you've looked at a lot of pics of them on the web so I figured I'd ask.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
@Irons. Sir I'm fixing to pull a trigger on my first sovereign. Torn between the old stuff and new, as I see the 2017 version is also in stock. It's the 200th anniversary year and I find myself leaning that way.

Do you have a preference? i no you've looked at a lot of pics of them on the web so I figured I'd ask.
The 2017 with the 200 year privy on it is a cool coin, I had one before I lost it boating. I really really want a 2017 boxed proof but they will have to get a lot cheaper before I spring for one. ALL Sovereigns are fantastic coins brother Wanka you can't go wrong.
And premiums are back down to normal so the barking masses are back to chasing whatever coin of the day is popular right now and leaving my Sov's alone again.
Life is good. .
aarock.gif

17sov (2)rs.jpg

stonedywankanobe

.409'er
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Nice lookin coin Bemac. I've been buying foreign silver lately also. Definitely not the cheapest way to buy but it keeps me interested.

These are all recent lcs coins here guys, nothing special.
Very unprofessional shot of this one here, snapped it directly behind the lamp shad to give it a gold tinge to ease Ironsbro in.

IMG_0204.JPG

Wasn't sure what to make of this guy when he looked at me but i like the coin.

IMG_0205.JPG

French silver.
IMG_0208.JPG

IMG_0209.JPG

Egypt 25 Piastres 1957.

IMG_0211.JPG

.4051 ag at .7200 fine

IMG_0212.JPG

Will get a low budget shot of the Anniversary Sovereign when it shows. Thanks for helping me take the leap Ironsman, brave new world for a silver whoore.

Last edited:

andial

((( member )))
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Et tu, Will?

savvydon

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
[QUOTE="stonedywankanobe, post: 1289969, member: 13780"
Will get a low budget shot of the Anniversary Sovereign when it shows. Thanks for helping me take the leap Ironsman, brave new world for a silver whoore.[/QUOTE]
Don’t let ol bros ‘dial bring you down Stoneman, he’ll lighten up when the GSR falls back out of the stratosphere.

Meantime your pics look great, man. Not quite up there in Tom D land yet, but looking quite fine just the same.

stonedywankanobe

.409'er
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Wondering what you guys think of the surface in this 1925 StoneMountain commem here.

Mind you I paid 6 dollars for it last year, came out of the half dollar box at my Lcs. Beautiful coin in hand with colors ranging from green to gold-copper and even black.

IMG_0222.JPG

Unsure if this is considered environmental damage or just a natural petina that I've never seen.
Otherwise it's nearly a flawless example.

IMG_0223.JPG

Ironsbro my Sov showed up the other day and I must say that I'm proud of it. Sir are those airtites for 1/4 eagles or do they make them especially for sovereignty, because I haven't seen any?

IMG_0227.JPG

Look at that purple leather bag you got from that hippy chick who was trying to get in your britches mr! Perfect backdrop imho!

stonedywankanobe

.409'er
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I'm ignorant to that particular coin B. I do like how it list the grams and purity. Do these fetch a good premium amongst sirs in the know? Looks rare to me.

bemac

Midas Member
Midas Member

stonedywankanobe

.409'er
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
!Score!

I'm happy for you B. Very cool piece. I noticed on the the grade scale that a vf30 is worth three times what you paid. Yet a ms coin has less value, I call shananagins. What's the deal with that?

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Ironsbro my Sov showed up the other day and I must say that I'm proud of it. Sir are those airtites for 1/4 eagles or do they make them especially for sovereignty, because I haven't seen any?

View attachment 96448

Look at that purple leather bag you got from that hippy chick who was trying to get in your britches mr! Perfect backdrop imho!
Beautiful coins Will both of them! Sovereign airtites are 22 mm, same as the 1/4 Eagle and 1/4 Krugerrand.
I just buy the 22 mm ones and put Ducats and other small Gold coins in them too. If I splurge and buy a big Gold coin I will snag an airtite just for that coin.
But hell man, I don't buy enough big coins to worry about it.
Poor rural fecker like me is lucky just to see Gold coins through the glass at a coin shop.

JayDubya

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
bemac, Ralph Foster is a well known coin historian/numismatist and author of "Fiat paper money, the history and evolution of our currency".

I'd be surprised if he let that coin go at that price if it was more valuable.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
If it's not cleaned, it's worth perhaps double what I paid. Even if it's been cleaned, I did very well.
The issue is not if the coin, or a coin has been cleaned. The issue is whether another professional or a grading service can tell the coin has been cleaned.
The elites of coin collecting / numismatists know HOW to ENHANCE a coin to bring out its highest grade without leaving tall-tale signs of physical/chemical manipulation.

Find ya a local coin collectors' club and get involved. You'd be surprised at what you can learn.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
508 is a scary low mintage Irons. How does a guy like you end up with a coin like that?

Huh, anyways decent deal on some comely coins here if anyone is buying.

20 Coronas spot +3%
https://www.apmex.com/product/12646/1915-austria-gold-20-coronas-au-restrikes
I snagged it on ebay in 2015 for $157. The seller had no idea what it was and had a vague title to the listing.
Had she called it a 1956 South Africa Half Sovereign her listing would have gotten some traffic.
South Africa had Ponds, Pounds, Rands etc with some pounds being the rare ones. My 1956 half was part of a proof set.

1956 South Africa £0.5 Gold Coin .1177 oz AGW
( 361455745409 )

ITEM PRICE:
US $157.50

bemac

Midas Member
Midas Member
!Score!

I'm happy for you B. Very cool piece. I noticed on the the grade scale that a vf30 is worth three times what you paid. Yet a ms coin has less value, I call shananagins. What's the deal with that?
Just an error on ngc's site. There was a an UNC Details on ebay that sold for 850. Currently a few graded MS-63 for sale at 1400+.

bemac

Midas Member
Midas Member
bemac, Ralph Foster is a well known coin historian/numismatist and author of "Fiat paper money, the history and evolution of our currency".

I'd be surprised if he let that coin go at that price if it was more valuable.
Yes, established seller for sure. He deals in lots of bullion-level coins though. Look at his description. I was kinda shocked regardless.

bemac

Midas Member
Midas Member
The issue is not if the coin, or a coin has been cleaned. The issue is whether another professional or a grading service can tell the coin has been cleaned.
The elites of coin collecting / numismatists know HOW to ENHANCE a coin to bring out its highest grade without leaving tall-tale signs of physical/chemical manipulation.

Find ya a local coin collectors' club and get involved. You'd be surprised at what you can learn.
This is definitely not a coin town. No good coin shops in the city. Very few shows in the area, too.