• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Great Snags and WTF's???

savvydon

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Don't mean to be a killjoy, but make sure you carefully check weight and size for authenticity. I'm one of those boneheads who will never snag something like that - I've been ripped off so many times my mantra is 'if it looks too good to be true, that's cuz it probably is'.

If it is real, my hats off to you - unbelievable snag!

goldielox1

Silver Miner
Seeker
Don't mean to be a killjoy, but make sure you carefully check weight and size for authenticity. I'm one of those boneheads who will never snag something like that - I've been ripped off so many times my mantra is 'if it looks too good to be true, that's cuz it probably is'.

Anything on ebay I would suspect as well. Maybe take it to a LCS dealer and pretend to be interested in selling it.

bemac

Midas Member
Midas Member

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Simply amazing B. Latesir I think Beman has a system, there's gotta be moar to it.

Was gonna post my lcs pulls but not now I'd get laughed out on my ass and did ok I think.

Nah! We would not laugh at you. FWIW I posted my 6-gram .999 silver Coca-Cola bottle cap-shaped coin (see post # 9912 of this thread) that I paid $29.95 for on ebay and nobody laughed out at me.

bemac

Midas Member
Midas Member
bemac, Ralph Foster is a well known coin historian/numismatist and author of "Fiat paper money, the history and evolution of our currency".

I'd be surprised if he let that coin go at that price if it was more valuable.
Well he did. :D

I got the 1928 Condor in, it looks great. I posted the seller's pics of it at the coin collectors forum and first 3 replies to the thread all say AU, one specifically AU58.

Value is tough. But checking Ebay, there are only three available, all MS 63, all $1413 flat to $1550 OBO. Checking sold listings, there are two, one being mine and the other an UNC Details (hairlines) that sold for $850. If I were to list it for sale, I'd price it at 875. But I'm just going to toss it on the pile.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Somebody please win this rare and gorgeous little Sovereign. I would hate to see some heathen get it.
I can't do it I'm still recovering from paying forced tribute to 2 Michigan townships and the secretary of state is winding up to kick me in the balls next.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-Great-Britain-Gold-1-2-Sovereign-Unc-Updated-St-George-slaying-a-dragon/362203380766?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20160727114228&meid=b98b674b22694584a1b9d3576f75301d&pid=100290&rk=2&rkt=4&sd=182972966684&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507

latemetal

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling

bemac

Midas Member
Midas Member
Well gold is ~ 1333 oz now, so 1333 -1279 = 54 x 2.119 oz = ~ 114 bucks under melt total. I think these are great coins even at spot. The $50 coin is gorgeous.

bemac

Midas Member
Midas Member
Hey, Irons, every single Rhodesian gold coin on ebay sold. Every single one. Even the pound listed at $1600 OBO was purchased.

Don't know if yall remember, but I cracked mine from the NGC case, to make sure it was real. Kinda regret that now. Still thinking about listing it. Hmmm, but at what price? $1400? I paid 500 even. I hate to list and sell coins I love, but massive profits!!

newmisty

Duppy Conqueror
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Ahoy matey!

Irons

Deep Sixed
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
20 Corona restrike and a 1909 Freddy VIII 10 kroner. .1960 and .1288. Both lcs coins that were had for close to spot a few weeks back.

Nothing spectacular but nice looking coins I guess.
Old european Gold coins are awesome and cheap. A nice pouch with a few dozen Ducats in it is cool as feck!

:2 thumbs up:

stonedywankanobe

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Gold instead of silver Stonedy? It's okay, your secret's safe with us.
Preciate you keeping it on tha down low Dubby.

Old european Gold coins are awesome and cheap. A nice pouch with a few dozen Ducats in it is cool as feck!

:2 thumbs up:
Yes Ironsbro. While I don't have dozens yet I do agree that the European stuff is the way to go. Vastly moar interesting to me than say fractional eagles, maples and the like. Plus like you say, cheap compared to the previously mentioned coins. I'm saving for another sovereign right now, I want a stack of those feckers!

Did pick up some silver the Saturday before last at the lcs. One of those 100 g Valcambi bars that sell upwards of a Ben Frankly online.

It was in the generic bin with $65 marked on it. I pulled it out and told Chris, man you know these go for over a hundo online right. He says "no shit, how does 60 out the door sound?"

The silver hoor in me couldn't resist.

IMG_0258.JPG

newmisty

Duppy Conqueror
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Yuppie silver!

Irons

Deep Sixed
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Yes Ironsbro. While I don't have dozens yet I do agree that the European stuff is the way to go. Vastly moar interesting to me than say fractional eagles, maples and the like. Plus like you say, cheap compared to the previously mentioned coins. I'm saving for another sovereign right now, I want a stack of those feckers!

View attachment 97872
I used to buy all of them. Kroners, rubles, francs, guilders, pesos etc but I got sick of doing all the math. True story.
Now I just buy Sov's and Ducats. Er I mean I would if I had any money. Which I don't. And my boat sunk.
Yep.

stonedywankanobe

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter

I used to buy all of them. Kroners, rubles, francs, guilders, pesos etc but I got sick of doing all the math. True story.
I feel ya but I kinda like the quirky numbers, that I had to write down on paper Irons. Know all of it by heart now.
IMG_0260.JPG

Busch league i know but you gotta start somewheres.

Love the spreadsheets guys. I have a special one for silver that an engineer who is a wizard at Excel did for me. My gold I did on Excel and it is pretty basic. After my $1,190 for one ounce of AGE gold deal I am in the black finally on my gold profits. Silver I have been in the black for awhile. Also, don't forget the Mexican gold too. Love those 2.5 Pesos.

stAGgering

Silver Miner
Seeker
I would have bought that Valcambi bar too. You ought to put that thing on eBay and flip it
I agree and expand into the world of reptiles.
In order to sell ones "victory" purchase or acquisition, is consider it NOT a success in the 1st place.
This is where the sociopathic leading bankers, lawyers, Wall St'ers, CEO's, have an advantage.
The shorter the victory dance, the faster liquidity gained and reinvested advantageously, equals MOAR MOAR MOAR !
I am not a reptile/sociopath however, but I am parting with my victories, shiny beauts, heavy pieces.
Attachment to them, is not measurable nominally.
Cool, nice, I remember, rare, so cheap then, etc, is not today and not gunning for tomorrow.
I will save that for the ones I unearth metal detecting.

Beginning to enjoy the sale of one, becoming the purchase of 1.25, 1.75, 2.5 of same metal.
Same metal with far more potential rise in value.
Same metals with likeness and recognition, not LCS, eBad, Coinshow, sales only.
Same metals with cousins and brothers and sisters ands such.

With metal prices so suppressed, 2017 mintages so low, perfect time to ditch older and gain weight on low mintages.

Note: F-ing Eagles S U C K. They are nice coins which do not resell easily in slow market.
Ex: 2009 Sealed Monster Box West point $12,500 APMEX, buy $8,700. Other dealers +$1.00. LCS said NOPE, eBad maybe but tubes are selling below spot after 13% total fees.
Many other coins from 2009 which would sell easier.
Bought in @ $16- flat, with 3% inflation per year should, to break "even" $21.50.
APMEX sure as hell would/does @its $25ea.
Just to many Eagles out there today, same as it ever was.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
My most recent snag was yesterday at a coin shop while I was out of town. I bought a 1996 SAE for $19.04. The downside: It is extremely "scruffy".

bemac

Midas Member
Midas Member

Irons

Deep Sixed
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Got this massive hunk of white gold for nicely under melt. 37.3 grams Marked 14kPall

View attachment 99972
I dream of scooping up one of those big bastards one of these days. Beach hunters claim a Gold ring isn't a honker until 15 grams.
My best so far is 14.5 grams of 18k and platinum.

davycoppitt

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
I dream of scooping up one of those big bastards one of these days. Beach hunters claim a Gold ring isn't a honker until 15 grams.
My best so far is 14.5 grams of 18k and platinum.

Big heavy rings are just awesome. Hands down the largest I have bought. Seen them reach 60 grams on ebay, now that's a big ass ring.

Its crazy with the palladium in it 18k acid didn't eat through the lines.

newmisty

Duppy Conqueror
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I'd think anyone wearing a ring that big has enough meat on their fingers to keep a-hold unlike their skinny counterparts. I'd be surprised if there isn't a tax payer subsidized government study into dropped jewelry statistics.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
I'd think anyone wearing a ring that big has enough meat on their fingers to keep a-hold unlike their skinny counterparts. I'd be surprised if there isn't a tax payer subsidized government study into dropped jewelry statistics.
Best beaches treasure wise are middle class peeps trending from middle age to elderly. They had plenty of money to burn on jewelry, didn't buy crap like tungsten and their fingers get smaller as they age. Beaches with the best scenery are not where the big amounts of killer Gold is.

aawise.jpg