• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Great Snags and WTF's???

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Those were posted yesterday in the ebay deals thread. Another member already ordered one.
That was me who ordered one and yeah, I knew exactly what I was doing ;)

savvydon

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
This has got to be a hijacked account. Nobody would sell $1500 worth of Sovereigns for $149.
Now if somebody is brave and wants to risk the hell out of their $$$.................

I don’t want to be a downer, but no legitimate person/seller is going to part with gold coins at waaaay under melt. If it looks to good to be true...

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Hopefully the seller is a dolt who found a pile coins in their great uncle's house and they think they are brass!

.:2 thumbs up:
Hopefully but in all likelihood it's a scammer. No worries because I'm not risking anything as I used PP credit and have 6 months to resolve it if it is a scammer. eBay is very good about resolving these type of things. They take good care of the buyers

Last edited:

savvydon

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Hopefully but in all likelihood it's a scammer. No worries because I'm not risking anything as I used PP credit and have 6 months to resolve it if it is a scammer. eBay is very good about resolving these tyoe of things. They take good care of the buyers
Yes, I believe they are somewhat skewed toward the buyers over the sellers, at least the little ones.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Hopefully the seller is a dolt who found a pile coins in their great uncle's house and they think they are brass!

.:2 thumbs up:
They don't think they're brass...from the auction description:

Item specifics

Precious Metal Content: 0.2354oz Fineness: 0.917 Shape: Round Metal Type: Gold

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Bus
Site Supporter
Davy,

Also to note the 'BB' mintmark is for Strasbourg as listed. These are much harder to find than the typical 'A' Paris mint.

bemac

Midas Member
Midas Member
I think you're seeing the wrong item. Ebay now is doing a "The listing you’re looking for is no longer available. Check out this similar item we found for you," instead of showing you the item he purchased when you click on his link.

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Bus
Site Supporter
I think you're seeing the wrong item. Ebay now is doing a "The listing you’re looking for is no longer available. Check out this similar item we found for you," instead of showing you the item he purchased when you click on his link.
HA HA ........you're right !

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
They don't think they're brass...from the auction description:

Item specifics

Precious Metal Content: 0.2354oz Fineness: 0.917 Shape: Round Metal Type: Gold
Yeah, so the action was cancelled and I got a immediate refund. It was a hyjacked account. Like I said, no risk!

stonedywankanobe

.409'er
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Have been thinking seriously of getting one of those Og Napoleon coins. Cheapist I've seen them is 3 Hudo Davy.
Awesome fecking snag Mr. plus I'm glad I didn't buy one full price and then see your 40 dollar pull here.

Obverse pic if you could sir?

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
So a legit 20 Fr. For $40 or something like that, right? Awesome - great find!
Meh, I've picked up a 20 franc for $3.50 at a thrift shop and ended up scraping it. It was inside a 1/20th 14k bezel. Didn't know gold coins back then, not that I do now either because of limited exposure, but something about it intriged me. Took it out of bezel and found writing on sides. Was in good condition too. Wish I didn't bring up that memory.

Um, I mean, Great score Mr. Coppitt. The Goddess of Au is smiling upon you.

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I've picked up a 20 franc for $3.50 at a thrift shop and ended up scraping it. It was inside a 1/20th 14k bezel. Didn't know gold coins back then, not that I do now either because of limited exposure....
Lesson from the COLLEGE of HARDKNOCKS

THE most expensive school anybody can attend 24/7/365. No sheepskin available. But you'll never forget the lessons.

Last edited:

davycoppitt

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Have been thinking seriously of getting one of those Og Napoleon coins. Cheapist I've seen them is 3 Hudo Davy.
Awesome fecking snag Mr. plus I'm glad I didn't buy one full price and then see your 40 dollar pull here.

Obverse pic if you could sir?
back 2.JPG

goldielox1

Silver Miner
Seeker
Yeah, so the action was cancelled and I got a immediate refund. It was a hyjacked account. Like I said, no risk!
Worth a shot. I saw a brand new Harbor Freight welder on ebay for like 50% of the price they sell at the store even with their "sale price" and even had free shipping. It was a brand new seller with 0 feedbacks and first couple days registered. I was quite skeptical but figured what the hey. Bought it and a few days later noticed all the guys listings had been pulled and he was suspended from ebay. So was thinking ah was a bogus deal. But then a day or two later, lo an behold, a brand new in box welder shipped directly from Harbor Freight comes delivered to my place.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Worth a shot. I saw a brand new Harbor Freight welder on ebay for like 50% of the price they sell at the store even with their "sale price" and even had free shipping. It was a brand new seller with 0 feedbacks and first couple days registered. I was quite skeptical but figured what the hey. Bought it and a few days later noticed all the guys listings had been pulled and he was suspended from ebay. So was thinking ah was a bogus deal. But then a day or two later, lo an behold, a brand new in box welder shipped directly from Harbor Freight comes delivered to my place.
Ya neva know!

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
My ATB "P" puck snags:

1.) My most recent snag was buying two 2017 George Rogers Clark 5-oz "P" pucks for $150 each. $150 for a GRC "P" puck might appear to be a "WTF" but I sold one for $229 on ebay. I kept the other one for myself.

2.) I also did buy a couple of 2018 Cumberland Island "P" pucks from an LCS for $99 each. I sold them for $137 each. I could have charged US-Mint type premiums for them on ebay but I wanted to give my repeat customers a deal by under cutting the USMint.

Mexican Libertad snag:

I bought a 1999 Mexican Libertad 1-oz .999 silver bullion coin in June 2018 for $22 and sold it for $120 on ebay in July 2018.

My '70's silver art bar snags:

1.) Too many to mention but 2018 has been a good year for me in terms of buying '70's silver art bars for very low premiums over spot and selling them for 2X - 4X spot silver.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
My latest WTF purchase was a painted 1922 Peace Dollar that I bought for $25 from a LCS. Why did I buy it for $25???? The universal reason was.....................because it looked pretty.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Agreed. He is in Sweden - that is a long way to go to get your money back if the deal goes bad...
Yeah, I'll pass. I started avoiding bar in assay a while back when counterfeits starting becoming more prevalent. The fact that this guy is in Sweden and the shipping is $40 an ounce sort of holds me back :)

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
The white assay card was IMO the dead giveaway that it is not what it appears to be.

EDIT: OOPS!!!! Nevermind. That listing just ended. That link led me to another ebay listing.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Last Friday (December 7, 2018), I picked up some 1970's Montreal Olympic Games sterling silver coins ($5 FV & $10 FV coins) as well as some '70's Franklin Mint sterling silver art bars and art rounds for melt price from a LCS.

I usually do not buy sterling very often but, generally speaking, I will buy certain sterling silver coins and sterling silver bars (mainly Franklin Mint) if I can buy them for melt or less.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I went back today to the same LCS that I went to last Friday to buy more '70's sterling silver art bars and rounds as well as buying some more '70's Montreal Olympics sterling silver coins ($5 FV coins only). I paid around $0.15 above melt price for all of this sterling silver purchases today mainly because spot is lower today than it was last Friday. As I mentioned in my previous post, I am aim pay melt or less for sterling silver but $0.15 above melt is not too bad IMO. Most of what I purchased today from the LCS was purchased as inventory for resell purposes my ebay/online "Schedule C" business. Some of these are nice looking sterling rounds that I feel strongly that I can get a collector premium for them on ebay. I have had some past decent success selling this type of silver on the 'bay for a small net profit after paying ebay/PP fees and shipping costs.

EDIT: I was lucky in that I was able to catch this dealer today to buy more of these sterling silver art bars/rounds because he plans to send the rest of what he had in the melt bucket to the smelter to have it melted down.

JayDubya

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Probably not what I'd call a great snag, more like a cool snag. Also has a little WTF in it as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Desig...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

1545102435214.png

This is a rare Numbered Designer 9K Yellow Gold Coin Holder and 22K Yellow Gold Coin . This piece was originally used to hold full gold coins, providing a fashionable and convenient case anyone would be proud to carry. The center disk compresses, allowing coins to be easily stacked. A stationary post at the top is fitted with a small button which released the latch on the coin holder, and the attached bail folds down easily. The holder measures 30 x 44 x 14mm. The coin holder is full signed 9,375, AI.D,979 and weight 15.9 gram. It is in good condition with several dings and scratches. The diameter of coin is 22mm. It is 22K gold and weights 7.9 gram.

If'n I had the money I'd throw an offer at it and see if'n it sticks.

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Probably not what I'd call a great snag, more like a cool snag. Also has a little WTF in it as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Designer-Solid-Yellow-Gold-Coin-Holder-Numbered-Fob-Pendant-23-8gr/163434109081?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

View attachment 119371

This is a rare Numbered Designer 9K Yellow Gold Coin Holder and 22K Yellow Gold Coin . This piece was originally used to hold full gold coins, providing a fashionable and convenient case anyone would be proud to carry. The center disk compresses, allowing coins to be easily stacked. A stationary post at the top is fitted with a small button which released the latch on the coin holder, and the attached bail folds down easily. The holder measures 30 x 44 x 14mm. The coin holder is full signed 9,375, AI.D,979 and weight 15.9 gram. It is in good condition with several dings and scratches. The diameter of coin is 22mm. It is 22K gold and weights 7.9 gram.

If'n I had the money I'd throw an offer at it and see if'n it sticks.
That is cool. 50 bucks a month for 2 years and it's all yours. I heard au will he in the 10,000's soon.

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter