• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Great stories from Government shutdown

edsl48

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
While the Free Stuff Army freaks out
Government shutdown could lead to millions of evictions
Funding for HUD’s rental assistance programs would lapse if shutdown drags on
By Jeff Andrews Jan 7, 2019
Getty Images
Entering its third week, and with no end in sight, the partial federal government shutdown is putting millions of low-income tenants who depend on funding from the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) at risk.
On January 4, HUD sent a letter to 1,500 landlords who house tenants under various rental assistance programs, including Section 8 vouchers and project-based rental assistance, urging them not to initiate evictions for tenants over HUD funding that has now lapsed.
According the Washington Post, HUD officials didn’t realize this funding had lapsed on January 1, and the shutdown prevents them from renewing it. HUD officials are now tapping reserve funds and “scouring for money,” according to the Post.
About 95 percent of HUD’s 7,500 employees have been furloughed. The remaining 5 percent are exempt because they respond to emergency situations that endanger life or property.
Among the routine HUD functions on pause due to the shutdown are building inspections for properties that receive HUD funding. NBC highlighted the consequences of paused inspections with a report detailing how the floor collapsed under one privately owned, HUD-funding property in Connecticut that had been waiting for months for an inspection.
Rental assistance programs continue to operate on the basis of funding that’s already been appropriated, or in situations where life or property are threatened, but should the shutdown carry on, much of that funding would lapse, and HUD wouldn’t be able to renew it while the government remains closed.
According to the National Low Income Housing Coalition, local public housing authorities (PHAs) will be able to fund housing vouchers through February, but funding for capital improvements are less certain. Some smaller PHAs may also not have enough funding to continue normal operations. The longer the shutdown goes, the more low-income tenants are at risk of being evicted.
And so far there doesn’t seem to be an imminent deal to reopen the government. The shutdown began on December 21, 2018, when President Trump refused to sign a budget bill passed by Congress because it didn’t include $5 billion for a wall along the southern border, which was his signature campaign promise.
The president and Democrats have met multiple times in hopes of finding a solution to the impasse, but neither side has budged from their respective positions. The shutdown is currently the second-longest in the country’s history, with the longest being the 21-day closure under President Bill Clinton in the late 1990s.
According to NBC, nonprofits and other agencies that rely on HUD were unprepared for the shutdown. Usually, government departments hold an emergency call with relevant stakeholders prior to a shutdown, but because of the sudden start to the current shutdown, these calls didn’t happen. It was also reported that Trump didn’t know a government shutdown could lead to evictions for those who depend on HUD’s rental assistance programs.
This has left many who depend on HUD in the dark on what will happen should the shutdown drag on, which seems more likely with each passing day. HUD has a shutdown contingency plan on its website, but it’s the same plan from the February 2018 shutdown, so it’s unclear if HUD has reevaluated or adjusted its plan.

edsl48

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
It’s STARTING: A Grocery Store in Indiana SAYS They Can’t Process Food Stamp Payments Due to Govt. Shutdown

by Daisy Luther
We weren’t expecting to see a loss of food stamp benefits until the end of January, but a grocery store in Indiana reported they are unable to process EBT payments.

In Clay City, Indiana, the local IGA discovered the problem last week. Initially, they thought it was a technical glitch.

“Our machines weren’t taking any EBT cards and we didn’t really know what was going on. We didn’t know if it was a technical issue. And then we found out it was due to the government shutting down,” Tristen Malone said. (source)​
UPDATE:

Officials at the Indiana Family and Social Services Administration have confirmed that issues with EBT payments at one Clay City grocery store are due to a technical error, and aren’t related to the government shutdown, as the store’s management previously claimed. (source)​
However, no explanation has been forthcoming, nor has an estimated time the service will resume been provided

And although it’s for a slightly different reason, The Red Lion store in York County, Pennsylvania has also had issues. New owners recently purchased the grocery store and sent in their application to accept government benefits before the shutdown occurred.

“Right now we’re officially frozen because the government is shut down and we can’t process our application.”
Tom Lohr is the new owner of D & K.
He says they tried to get pre-approved for the license before the sale went through.
“We tried to be proactive and start this in December, late November, early December , set up the new entities with the businesses it just has not worked out.”
Lohr purchased the business, but doesn’t own the company name, so the license belongs to the original owners.
“We were trying to make it a smooth transition where it would happen the first day we opened, they said if we didn’t hear anything by January 4th to give them a call back. They went dead basically just before Christmas, I think,” said Lohr.
Sixteen percent of their business comes from people who use food stamps.
D & K wants to be able to serve those in need, they’re just waiting for the government to re-open. (source)​
And by the end of January, these two stores may only be a drop in the bucket.

More than 42 million Americans rely on food stamps.
A lot of people are very smug when it comes to those who rely on EBT benefits for food, picturing people driving Cadillacs to pick up their government-funded lobster and then go home and watch daytime soaps. But if you consider the state of the economy, it’s no surprise that there are millions who can’t make ends meet. Almost half of all Americans can barely afford both food and rent every month. Prices are just getting higher and wages are not increasing to meet the demands.

Really, the average EBT user isn’t always who you’d expect. Any considering 15 million children are living in homes below the poverty line, the kids will be the ones to suffer.

It’s pretty easy to be judgmental about those who accept food stamps if you have a good job and a full pantry, but remember that not everyone is in their situation by choice. Nobody is immune to hard times. I’ve been there myself.

Imagine the unpleasant surprise
Imagine going to the store to make a purchase, fully believing you have money in your account. But when the cashier tries to ring through your purchase, it’s denied. You ask her to swipe it again, because you know there’s money…but again, it’s declined. “No funds available,” you’re told.

The people who are going to buy groceries with EBT cards that are supposed to be working right now must be feeling desperate. And their frustration will cross into anger very quickly.

A cashier from Clay City, Indiana confirmed this.

“They’re really upset about it, which is understandable. I mean that’s like, you know, really discouraging that they can’t use it. And I mean we’ve had some people even get mad about it but it’s like out of our control, there’s nothing we can do about it,” Malone said. (source)​
Now imagine what the situation would be like if suddenly, at the end of January, 42 million people across the country discover they won’t be able to feed their families.

It could be chaos very quickly. You know the saying, “We’re just nine meals away from anarchy.”

It’s all part of the Government Shutdown Theater.
Every single time the government shuts down, an example is made of ordinary Americans. With the Obama shutdown in 2013, all sorts of people suffered, from Native Americans to migrants to victims of domestic violence. In the current shutdown, it’s the poor people or those working government jobs paycheck to paycheck who will pay the price.

Why do they do this? Why do they make those who are suffering, suffer more?

Because the members of Congress and the government wants to impress upon us all how very essential they are to our well-being. They want to provide us with dramatic “evidence” that we can’t get by without them.

It’s delusional to think our “representatives” in Congress are there to represent anyone but themselves and their “sponsors.”

No one actually from the government is hurt by the shutdown.
Meanwhile, the “important” people aren’t noticing any hardship from the government shutdown. Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi took a trip to Hawaii (but she promises it wasn’t a vacation.) And members of Congress get paid, but their staffers do not. (Kudos to this handful who have chosen to donate or forfeit their salaries during the shutdown.) It would be difficult for my opinion of these people to be much lower, but I’m sure they’ll manage to undercut my expectations even further.

The IRS will still take your money and track you down, but they won’t issue any refunds.

The system, as it stands, is anything but “by the people and for the people.”

The system is for the people who are benefitting from it. It’s for the people who are playing Americans like disposable chess pieces on a board. It’s for the people who literally benefit from the suffering of those less fortunate.

But it’s not for the rest of us.

Get prepared for some serious repercussions.
There are no signs of this shutdown ending any time soon. (Although that can change on a dime.) If it runs through the end of the month, be prepared to see some serious fallout when millions of people cannot purchase food for their families anymore. But don’t worry – your members of Congress will be just fine, regardless of how long this charade continues.

If you, personally, are relying on SNAP benefits for food, I strongly advise you to stock up now on low-cost items like beans, rice, oatmeal, peanut butter, pasta, flour, and canned fruits and vegetables. If you have money left on your card for the month, spend it now on things that won’t spoil.

If you are in a position to donate to food banks to help others, the need could soon be at an all-time high. A package of pasta and a can of sauce could at least provide a family with a warm dinner.

And no matter what your situation is, be prepared for the potential of unrest. Because hungry people with hungry children will do desperate things.

edsl48

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Excerpted from CNN. Look at all of the food programs yet we still have food banks.

Eligible households will still receive monthly SNAP benefits for January. But other domestic nutrition assistance programs such as the Commodity Supplemental Food Program, WIC, and the Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations will only be operational based on available resources. Additional federal funds and commodities will not be provided during the shutdown.

Child nutrition programs including School Lunch, School Breakfast, Child and Adult Care Feeding, Summer Food Service and Special Milk will continue through February.

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I'm sure the democrats will step up to feed the hungry and poor they care so much about. About time they reached into their own wallets to provide charity instead of reaching into ours.

Uncle

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
I'm sure the democrats will step up to feed the hungry and poor they care so much about. About time they reached into their own wallets to provide charity instead of reaching into ours.
Or welcome them for breakfast, at least 3 times a week.

Take your number at Pelosi's.

Golden Regards
Uncle

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
We went on vacation to DC Christmas week and everything was open except for a few bathrooms at the Jefferson Memorial and FDR Memorial. They closed the Smithsonian down after we left the following week! Didn't affect us at all. Most people on food stamps need to lose weight anyway.

closed.jpg
1812 Flag.jpg
DC Wash.jpg

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
And although it’s for a slightly different reason, The Red Lion store in York County, Pennsylvania has also had issues. New owners recently purchased the grocery store and sent in their application to accept government benefits before the shutdown occurred.
I was just in this store on Friday.
They had a sign taped to one of those caution wet floor things that said STOP! we can't take EBT at this time.
I just paid cash like I always do.
Only place I shop where they use a counterfeit pen on bills as small as 5 bucks.
Yes it's true, I pretty much just hang out with rich people.

Uglytruth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
They can open their doors and welcome them into their homes also. If not they are hypocrites!

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
If it not for some friends who re-routed vacation plans to national parks that are apparently closed; and some rumblings that TSA agents are calling in sick in record numbers and disrupting the screening/searching/irradiating/groping process that is increasing wait times at airports, I would have never noticed there is a fed.gov shutdown.

Us common folk continue about our business largely without disruption in commerce or services. Yet fed.gov continues to extract income tax, fuel tax, etc.. Makes you wonder how much of the fed.gov is actually necessary...5%, 10%, 20%? Your guess is as good as mine, but the lower the better per the Bill of Rights and Constitution as written by The Founding Fathers.

Buck

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
One store has a problem and the article, although issuing an update, claims SNAP is not working. The reporter still have a job or was a performance bonus issued?
I wondered how long it took the reporter to find this ONE particular merchant and for another reporter to find One other store that had an issue, a store in another state

Makes me think Lots Of Reporters scoured the country over the course of a few days, trying like hell to find evidence of any problems, at all

Lots of wasted time and money that someone paid for just to create more 'fog of war'
and it's also presumed this occurs all the time, nearly all news today is of the same brand

Fake

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
How many stores is irrelevant. There is the one store.

It's a similar effect that snow has. One inch of snow is enough empirical evidence to support any narrative of the day.

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Hey nick, did u have to shop for winter clothes before u kids went to the district of corruption? Doesn't look like FL gear.
My girl had her clothes, but I bought wool socks at Burlington and a cashmere scarf on ebay. I got the London Fog parka from my step-dad. I took my wife to DC 2 years ago on my last vacation and this time wanted to take my new g/f who had never been. It was great as there were no lines and we practically had the Jefferson, Lincoln, FDR and MLK memorials to ourselves. We walked around in the cold and some rain, but it was romantic nevertheless.

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
My girl had her clothes, but I bought wool socks at Burlington and a cashmere scarf on ebay. I got the London Fog parka from my step-dad. I took my wife to DC 2 years ago on my last vacation and this time wanted to take my new g/f who had never been. It was great as there were no lines and we practically had the Jefferson, Lincoln, FDR and MLK memorials to ourselves. We walked around in the cold and some rain, but it was romantic nevertheless.
Dig it. Wife and I celebrated our 10th down there right in the middle of the city. Was much warmer being in May and all. Did notice many women cheaply dressed if ya know what I mean.

edsl48

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
We now see...is the TSA really needed?

The Government Shutdown Exposes Another Reason to Abolish the TSA
01/11/2019Ryan McMaken
The Transportation Security Administration, a federal agency, is facing a no-show problem with employees, as paychecks are put on hold during the partial government shutdown. This is reportedly leading to longer lines and security problems at airports nationwide.According to CNN ,
Hundreds of Transportation Security Administration officers, who are required to work without paychecks through the partial government shutdown, have called out from work this week from at least four major airports...​
TSA spokespeople, meanwhile, insist everything is completely normal although absenteeism has "increased by 200% to 300%," according to Marketwatch.
Not everyone was as sanguine about the situation as government officials. One frequent traveler complained “The lines were exceptionally longer than normal, especially for a peak departure time frame of 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.”
Given that the feds admit more employees are skipping work, it's hard to believe that everything's humming along normally — unless workers are lowering security standards to get more people through the line quickly.
But, that, of course, is something the feds insist they would never, ever do.
In any case, the whole affair reminds us of just one of the many pitfalls that come with federalizing airport security and making it all part of one giant, nationwide federal bureaucracy.
TSA screeners are federal employees, and their salaries are paid out of a federal budget — of now more than 7 billion dollars. In fiscal year 2018 , more than four billion of the TSA's 7.5 billion budget came from government appropriations, with the rest coming from fees on passengers and the industry. Since 2017, the Trump Administration has proposed to increasing fees " to cover 75% rather than 40% of the Transportation Security Administration’s costs."1
But even if the Trump Administration were to get its wish, the TSA would still remain a federal agency with federal employees, and a substantial of its budget would still come from federal appropriations.
In other words, the next time there's a government shutdown, we'd be looking, yet again, at a situation in which the entire nationwide system of airports would be affected because a tiny number of politicians in DC couldn't agree on a nationwide budget.
It doesn't have to be this way. Nor were things this way prior to the federalization of airport security in the wake of the 9/11 terrorist attacks.
Thanks to the George W. Bush Administration, airport security was federalized only two months after 9/11, with Bush proudly declaring at the time: "For the first time, airport security will become a direct, federal responsibility."There were federal regulations in place dictating how security was conducted, of course, but the employees and the funding were largely decentralized in how they were distributed and used.
As a result, a federal shutdown under a system like this does not mean that the employees won't get paid or that "non-essential" personnel are simply sent home.
The TSA Doesn't Keep Us Safe
In response, supporters of the status quo are likely to respond that the TSA "keeps us safe" and only a federalized version of airport security can work.
Unfortunately, for them, there is no evidence to support this position.
First of all, that there has been no serious and successful terrorist hijacking since 9/11 does not prove the effectiveness of the TSA. After all, the creation of the TSA is just one change since 9/11.
Indeed, 9/11-style hijackings were obsolete by the afternoon of September 11, 2001. Their success rested largely on the fact that the airline industry and FAA regulators adhered to a policy of compliance when it came to hijackers. As a report from Stratfor notes:
Before 9/11, aircraft crews were trained not to resist hijackers but to comply with their instructions in an effort to calm the situation and land the plane. Once the aircraft was on the ground, hijackers would then either surrender or be killed by an aircraft entry team. The Federal Aviation Administration never dreamed that terrorists would commandeer an aircraft with the intent to use it as a weapon. Aware of this, the 9/11 attackers simply had to pretend to be typical hijackers to gain the crews' cooperation and take control of the aircrafts.​
A compliance policy will never be used again:
But the advantage Mohammed [Atta] gained by shifting the hijacking paradigm was short-lived, as evidenced by the events that unfolded that morning aboard the fourth aircraft: United Airlines Flight 93.
The attackers who targeted the plane did not account for the fact that its passengers and crew were able to use their cellphones to talk to people on the ground. When they learned what had happened to the three other aircraft, they revolted and forced the hijackers to crash the plane before it could be used to target the U.S. Capitol.​
In other words, a major reason that there haven't been any 9/11-type hijackings since 9/11 is that terrorists know people will react in a completely different way to a potential hijacking.
In the case of Flight 93, the hijackers only got as far as they did because the crew and passengers initiallycomplied. Once the truth was learned, the situation changed dramatically. Now that 9/11 is common knowledge, not even initial compliance could be expected from terrorists.
Other factors include the placement of air marshals on some planes, and better security for cockpits.
The maintenance of an an enormous corps of federally employed TSA employees has nothing to do with any of these factors.
And then there is the research which shows that the TSA has a 95-percent failure rate in detecting efforts by terrorists to place weapons on commercial flights. Dylan Matthews wrote at Vox in 2016:
The TSA is hard to evaluate largely because it's attempting to solve a non-problem. Despite some very notable cases, airplane hijackings and bombings are quite rare. There aren't that many attempts, and there are even fewer successes. That makes it hard to judge if the TSA is working properly — if no one tries to do a liquid-based attack, then we don't know if the 3-ounce liquid rule prevents such attacks.
So Homeland Security officials looking to evaluate the agency had a clever idea: They pretended to be terrorists, and tried to smuggle guns and bombs onto planes 70 different times. And 67 of those times, the Red Team succeeded. Their weapons and bombs were not confiscated, despite the TSA's lengthy screening process. That's a success rate of more than 95 percent.​
Defenders of the TSA — much like defenders of the CIA and other "security" organizations — claim that the TSA surely succeeds in stopping terrorists quite often. Those successes, however, are secret and we can't know about them.
This sort of faith-based trust in government might be convincing for some, but it ought to strike most people capable of critical thinking as nonsensical.
The fact remains — if we exclude the hypothetical "secret files of amazing successes" maintained by government agencies — there is no empirical evidence that the TSA prevents terrorism, and even in theory, we can easily point to other factors that are much more important in the prevention of another 9/11.
On the other hand, the federalization of airport security does create a situation in which national politics can easily create a system-wide failure in airport security that would not be possible in a system without the centralization of the TSA system.
https://mises.org/wire/government-shutdown-exposes-another-reason-abolish-tsa

Uglytruth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
7B year after year to keep those that travel safe. A small % of Americans.
5B for a wall, fence, whatever to keep us safe................................ A large % of Americans.

This is like abortion is OK but the death penalty for criminals is not.

Aurumag

Ag mirror of truth Aurum purity of mind
Midas Member
Site Supporter
One store has a problem and the article, although issuing an update, claims SNAP is not working. The reporter still have a job or was a performance bonus issued?
The first clue to the disingenuity of the article was the reference to "food stamps."

It is all EBT card now, for the dignity of the recipients.