• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Gulf Hurricane

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
A couple of days ago then Tropical Depression and now Hurricane Sally was just going to be a wet breezy day in the west Florida Panhandle. Now it has shifted (and continues to shift) to the east, it has come to a near stop and is building rapidly from the current 100 MPH winds. Though it's only around 90 miles (due south of me) offshore now, it will hang around out there in the hot gulf waters for another 36-48 hours before landing God knows where at God knows what strength. We had one land about 80 miles east last year that just tore the hell out of everything including major military bases that they weren't certain would ever open again. It looked like the aftermath of a tsunami or nuclear war.

sally1.jpg

Thecrensh

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
A couple of days ago then Tropical Depression and now Hurricane Sally was just going to be a wet breezy day in the west Florida Panhandle. Now it has shifted (and continues to shift) to the east, it has come to a near stop and is building rapidly from the current 100 MPH winds. Though it's only around 90 miles (due south of me) offshore now, it will hang around out there in the hot gulf waters for another 36-48 hours before landing God knows where at God knows what strength. We had one land about 80 miles east last year that just tore the hell out of everything including major military bases that they weren't certain would ever open again. It looked like the aftermath of a tsunami or nuclear war.

View attachment 180488
I'm in the same boat; thusfar, it looks like all the models have it going into MS though. We'll see.

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Almost dead stopped now, predicted hit has shifted east to just west of Mobile, Al. Looks like this storm will be hovering around here as a tropical storm for the next 60 hours, dumping torrents of rain the whole time. Flood is the main problem. Glad I live at the top of what passes for a hill around here. It's only a 10' high hill but that'll have to do.

This storm would be almost a blessing to Oregon, I guarantee 20'' of rain over 1000's of square miles will put out any forest fire.

sally2.jpg

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Yes, radio was just playing a Kamala quote that climate change is the cause of California burning and these
"stronger and stronger" storms and the current administration etc etc etc
He must like us because we've been having slightly dry but pleasant weather.

Buck

Come On, Man!
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
this is one of five hurricanes, i read...

everyone stay safe!

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Latest track has this one going over my house but so slowly that it will take 36 hours doing it. Only a Cat 1 now but the sheer quantity of water is the main threat. The eye is now defined, usually a marker of strengthening.

From weather service: " Potential for wind 74 to 110 mph - The wind threat has remained nearly steady from the previous assessment. - PLAN: Plan for life-threatening wind of equivalent CAT 1 or 2 hurricane force."

The marker below in on my house.

The track is supposed to initially hit Mobile, Al and take a hard turn to the east toward South Georgia. If this were a Cat 4 or 5, I'd be moving.

Edit: Oh-oh, the shits hit the fan now, Jim Cantore is in town!

sally3.jpg

Last edited:

Thecrensh

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Latest track has this one going over my house but so slowly that it will take 36 hours doing it. Only a Cat 1 now but the sheer quantity of water is the main threat. The eye is now defined, usually a marker of strengthening.

From weather service: " Potential for wind 74 to 110 mph - The wind threat has remained nearly steady from the previous assessment. - PLAN: Plan for life-threatening wind of equivalent CAT 1 or 2 hurricane force."

The track is supposed to initially hit Mobile, Al and take a hard turn to the east toward South Georgia. If this were a Cat 4 or 5, I'd be moving.

View attachment 180597
I've already had at least 5" - 6" inches of rain at my house....and I'm further east by a good bit.

Hystckndle

SWEATEQUITYIS$$$
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame

View attachment 180597
Hang tight.
That is a LOT of water.

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Just lost power, on battery now. Got a generator but only 5kW, with about 30 hours of fuel. Will power a few circuits.

Hystckndle

SWEATEQUITYIS$$$
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Just lost power, on battery now. Got a generator but only 5kW, with about 30 hours of fuel. Will power a few circuits.
Thanks for the update.
No elec sucks.
Crensh and I both have done that for a month + , I think he said he was 6 weeks b4.
Thinking of you and your family.
Regards,

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member

Hystckndle

SWEATEQUITYIS$$$
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
0740 A.M
500 thousand and rising customers without power.
This ll be good ( not ) as it moves across rural LA ( Lower Alabama ) and southwest Georgia.
In my area we have been losing power like never in years before the last few years....
RE: less Preventive Maintenance.
That is everywhere.

Edit to add: Rained near 2 " at the Haystack bunker from one of those long outer bands last evening.
A slow mover is no joke water wise.

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Power came back but news says 76% of the entire area is down. Pensacola has gotten 30" of rain with at least 12 hours left to go.
You must have a strong house to support that marker.
I am an engineer, ya know! Better be sure of your calculations to support a main mast and guys for a sail that big.

This rain shit is getting old. I'm getting around a steady 60 mph with constant gusts way higher. Getting a little freaky.

sally4.jpg

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
this is from yesterday

Sally Drifting Toward the Gulf Coast Causing Flooding and Strong Winds

Thecrensh

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
So I'm extremely fortunate. (So far) My only damage is two decent sized dead branches that fell onto a pile of tree limbs that I had trimmed off the trees to burn during the winter. They literally fell onto my burn pile. I don't even have to touch them until it's time to cut them for the fire.

Other places nearby aren't so lucky...flooded houses, trees on roof, power outages, etc. Places down on the ocean have been hit by the surge - worse as you go West toward Pensacola. So very glad the worst went to my West...sad for everyone that lives that way though.

Hystckndle

SWEATEQUITYIS$$$
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
So I'm extremely fortunate. (So far) My only damage is two decent sized dead branches that fell onto a pile of tree limbs that I had trimmed off the trees to burn during the winter. They literally fell onto my burn pile. I don't even have to touch them until it's time to cut them for the fire.

Other places nearby aren't so lucky...flooded houses, trees on roof, power outages, etc. Places down on the ocean have been hit by the surge - worse as you go West toward Pensacola. So very glad the worst went to my West...sad for everyone that lives that way though.
That is some good news.
Very good.
I dunno if we will see some Mexico Beach action but the water will for sure cause some
misery for some folks.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
I traveled through the gulf states 30+ years ago. Saw all these houses built 10ft up on stilts and wondered why they would have them so high off the ground.

Storm surge wasn't heard of in the Northern states...

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Right now it's 10 miles NNW of me traveling NNE (almost directly away) at 5 MPH. Sustained winds 70 mph, gusts?

I live on 10 acres with about 1.5 acres cleared for a house and shop building. The rest is in trees including some old and very big live oaks. The wind has been whipping them into an absolute frenzy all day.

Apparently flooding is bad around here.

sally5.jpg

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Those oaks will hold.. They have seen a storm or two before. :)..

Thecrensh

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Right now it's 10 miles NNW of me traveling NNE (almost directly away) at 5 MPH. Sustained winds 70 mph, gusts?

I live on 10 acres with about 1.5 acres cleared for a house and shop building. The rest is in trees including some old and very big live oaks. The wind has been whipping them into an absolute frenzy all day.

View attachment 180678
So genius move of the day, the power went out and I went and drove around a couple of neighborhoods near me that are close to the bay; I wanted to see how high the water was. Saw quite a few roads underwater, and people trapped in their homes due to flooded streets (they weren't in physical danger and their houses were high/dry).

But then I must have run over a nail or something because I got a flat tire...had to change right there in the street. Had a Sherrif Deputy grab his floor jack from his house and jack my jeep up to change the tire. Anyway...all told took about 2 hours for various reasons. Got back home and my power turned on within 5 minutes.

Careful driving back streets after a storm; there may be a lot of debris that can flatten your tire.

Hystckndle

SWEATEQUITYIS$$$
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Couple of the counties almost completely dark.
Gotta be messy locally.
Saw a few vids of the water in downtown Pensacola.
Waste deep is no joke.
Another lady said water was coming in the windows.
That has got to suck.
As it heads north there will be again be a lot of river water coming south also.
And yeah...there is why a lot of stuff along a bunch of the rivers are on stilts.

Thecrensh

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter

View attachment 180678
That one X down near Mexico is not being predicted very well by the models. The various model solutions have it going on courses that vary from Corpus Christi all the way to Tallahassee. That's going to be the fun for next week....

dacrunch

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Build a reinforced concrete dome standing on poured columns... Garage downstairs... Flood-proof, hurricane-proof, tornado-proof, fireproof, almost burglar-proof... good views...

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
I drove around Pensacola just looking yesterday. All the stoplights are still out and trees down all over the place so it was a slog. Water is mostly down but there's no power so no open gas stations. The few open stations I saw all had LONG lines waiting, a 1/4 mile in one case. I toyed with the idea of stopping by the only open grocery store until I saw the parking lot and lines of people waiting to get in. Looked like a Who concert circa 1980. Figured I could wait.

City Docks in Pensacola has (had) several hundred slips housing a pretty good size collection of the most expensive boats in the area. Wouldn't impress anyone from West Palm much less the Northern Med but still well in excess of a couple of hundred million worth. The storm wiped out all the docks and pushed the boats into a big boat jumbo. I took some pictures but all you see is a little bit of a giant mess, even with a wide angle lens. It would take a drone to really capture the reality.

DSC05778.jpg

DSC05739.jpg

DSC05745.jpg

Last edited:

engineear

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I drove around Pensacola just looking yesterday. All the stoplights are still out and trees down all over the place so it was a slog. Water is mostly down but there's no power so no open gas stations. The few open stations I saw all had LONG lines waiting, a 1/4 mile in one case. I toyed with the idea of stopping by the only open grocery store until I saw the parking lot and lines of people waiting to get in. Looked like a Who concert circa 1980. Figured I could wait.

City Docks in Pensacola has (had) several hundred slips housing a pretty good size collection of the most expensive boars in the area. Wouldn't impress anyone from West Palm much less the Northern Med but still well in excess of a couple of hundred million worth. The storm wiped out all the docks and pushed the boats into a big boat jumbo. I took some pictures but all you see is a little bit of a giant mess, even with a wide angle lens. It would take a drone to really capture the reality.

View attachment 180827

View attachment 180828
View attachment 180829
Mother Nature did something...wow!

I'll take 100+ degrees over this, thank you. Hoping it ends soon.