• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

H.J.Res.14 - Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States to abolish the electoral college and to provide for the direct election

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
slipped it right in there....

H.J.Res.14 - Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States to abolish the electoral college and to provide for the direct election of the President and Vice President of the United States.

Introduced in House (01/11/2021)

117th CONGRESS
1st Session

H. J. RES. 14
Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States to abolish the electoral college and to provide for the direct election of the President and Vice President of the United States.
IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
January 11, 2021
Mr. Cohen (for himself, Ms. Lofgren, Ms. Eshoo, Ms. Schakowsky, Ms. Brownley, Mr. DeFazio, Mr. Espaillat, Mr. Garamendi, and Mr. Cooper) submitted the following joint resolution; which was referred to the Committee on the Judiciary
JOINT RESOLUTION
Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States to abolish the electoral college and to provide for the direct election of the President and Vice President of the United States.
  • Whereas the Founders of the Nation established the electoral college in an era of limited nationwide communication and information sharing;
    Whereas the electoral college is premised on an antiquated theory that citizens will have a better chance of knowing about electors from their home States than about Presidential candidates from out of State;
    Whereas the development of mass media and the internet has made information about Presidential candidates easily accessible to United States citizens across the country and around the world;
    Whereas citizens now have a far better chance of knowing about out-of-State Presidential candidates than about Presidential electors from their home State;
    Whereas Thomas Jefferson wrote, “I am not an advocate for frequent changes in laws and constitutions, but laws and institutions must go hand in hand with the progress of the human mind. As that becomes more developed, more enlightened, as new discoveries are made, new truths discovered and manners and opinions change, with the change of circumstances, institutions must advance also to keep pace with the times. We might as well require a man to wear still the coat which fitted him when a boy as civilized society to remain ever under the regimen of their barbarous ancestors.”;
    Whereas since the Nation’s founding, United States citizens have amended the Constitution to expand the opportunity for citizens to directly elect their elected leaders;
    Whereas the 15th Amendment guarantees the right of all citizens to vote regardless of race;
    Whereas the 19th Amendment guarantees the right of all citizens to vote regardless of gender;
    Whereas the 26th Amendment guarantees the right of all citizens 18 years of age and older to vote regardless of age;
    Whereas the 17th Amendment establishes both a precedent and a preference for the direct election of citizens’ elected representatives; and
    Whereas the electoral college has become an anachronism: Now, therefore, be it
Resolved by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled (two-thirds of each House concurring therein), That the following article is proposed as an amendment to the Constitution of the United States, which shall be valid to all intents and purposes as part of the Constitution when ratified by the legislatures of three-fourths of the several States within seven years after the date of its submission for ratification:
“Article —

Voodoo

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Good luck wid dat, getting 3/4th of the states to ratify it.

Ain't nevva gonna happen.
But they will push it by hook and by crook.

the_shootist

Old (not THAT old), but dangerous, pasty white guy
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++

Alton

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Good luck wid dat, getting 3/4th of the states to ratify it.

Ain't nevva gonna happen.
Ummmm...16th amendment, 17th amendment,18th amendment...more if you want to argue. The federal and state governmental track record of stupidity and failure really is quite extensive.

ZZZZZ

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Ummmm...16th amendment, 17th amendment,18th amendment...more if you want to argue. The federal and state governmental track record of stupidity and failure really is quite extensive.
Stupidity is one thing, insanity is a whole different subject.

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
Country's done, IMHO. So, anything that speeds it up...is fine with me.

It's a smoking pile in short years, anyway. MMT (Magic Money Tree) and QE-Infinity, plus Moar Money Fo Free for all the Oppressed Mine-Nore-Itties...is just going to collapse the system.

I don't know if there's going to be enough left that this will make a difference. Or if the States - led by the Woke States, the ones with Soros Secretaries of State and Attorneys General...if enough of them will sign on.

But, if that does come to be...it makes salvaging the Republic, impossible.

IF we are to save anything of it, it will have to be with a Secession movement - and adopting the ORIGINAL Constitution in its entirety. Term Limits and restriction of the franchise to property owners or taxpayers, would be two essential additions...but the rest? As written. Including the Senate as the States' representative forum.

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Wake me in 20 years if I’m still alive and let me know how many more states they need.

The equal rights amendment was introduced in 1923 and still not ratified.

I think the libs have a decent shot at eventually rendering 2a impotent unless there’s another civil war. They’ll bullet tax, license, register, database, and grandfather laws then nudge nudge nudge us to death.

It may take a few more generations. unless halted with prejudice they’ll eventually prevail

How do termites eat a house? One bite at a time

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
I will f'n register and do every thing I am against to vote a f-U on that one. Why yes I would give it a short and a long.
I'm not gonna support it, either...my comments above, notwithstanding. But WE do not have any direct input on this. State legislatures vote on whether to ratify it or not.

And elections, all up and down, for Congress-cretins and State representatives, are no compromised and suspect.

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
Could somebody please explain this to me? Is there any intelligent life in this statement?
No.

As you can see, this CONgress doesn't know what it, what they, are talking about.

The 26th removes age as a qualifier for voting. It still doesn't guarantee eligibility on other grounds.

Now we know what they WANT...EVERYONE voting. Early and often. Non-citizens; Chinese by mail....Vote, vote, vote...loot the Untied Skates!

I'm wondering when rational Americans will decide they've had enough. Or if it will be too late to do anything.

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Not anytime soon.

Agavegirl1

Silver Miner
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Sure...you are going to get the requisite number of states to agree when most will lose their voice if they do.