• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Had a chat with the BATF lady on the phone

Vlad The Impaler

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Maybe some of you are aware of this but it was news to me.

If you want to sell a gun to a person in another state and one of both do not allow private sales, I always thought that all you had to do was involve a gun dealer to do a background check for the transfer and it was good. Here is the catch, ONLY dealers can sell and transfer as such, you cannot. So if you hand the dealer the gun for the paper work guess what? You just surrendered the fire arm to the dealer and he does not have to give it back to you because he has the right to make sure you are not going to sell to the other party you met at the dealers place of business. You could hold the firearm and not surrender it and have dealer just take the info and run it but then it's really a private sale background check or not and that is not allowed.

Nice how they have intertwined the laws to catch it all. You can't even transfer between family members across state lines.

Last edited:

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Maybe some of you are aware of this but it was news to me.

If you want to sell a gun to a person in another state and one of both do not allow private sales, I always thought that all you had to do was involve a gun dealer to do a background check for the transfer and it was good. Here is the catch, ONLY dealers can sell and transfer as such, you cannot. So if you hand the dealer the gun for the paper work guess what? You just surrendered the fire arm to the dealer and he does not have to give it back to you because he has the right to make sure you are not going to sell to the other party you met at the dealers place of business. You could hold the firearm and not surrender it and have dealer just take the info and run it but then it's really a private sale background check or not and that is not allowed.

Nice how they have intertwined the laws to catch it all. You can't even transfer between family members across state lines.
You know what never stopped me? Laws. Bill of sale without the date is still a bill of sale.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
Cash

The mud elephant
wading through the sea
leaves no tracks

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Bill of sale without the date is still a bill of sale.
Really, micheal? I thought the date was important to validate the document.

BF
PS: just to add, Bottom Feeder here don't be breakin any of the rules the king imposes on us peasants.

FunnyMoney

Silver Member
Silver Miner
The gov't has long since adjusted the meaning of the words in the English language.

The word "infringe" has practically lost all its' meaning already.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
The gov't has long since adjusted the meaning of the words in the English language.

The word "infringe" has practically lost all its' meaning already.
That's another discussion entirely sir!

Buck

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Don't answer, who here owns unregistered / unlicensed weapons?

LOL

yeah right

Buck

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
the part i really enjoyed was the part where i couldn't make a weapon and sell it...didn't see anything about Not Using It

all i'm saying is, nothing of mine exists unless i say it exists or i bother to show it off to others
i'm not saying violate anything, but, as an American Citizen, I do feel it necessary to ask:

Who the f made anyone in DC one of my parents?

i'm a big boy who follows what's necessary, that's my call

i'm only too afraid it's getting too easy to be caught while Using my weapons and until then
I Don't Own Any Weapons or PM's or anything else, I'm poor and will probably always remain that way
Thanks to My Leaders, I'm Poor, Taxed Into Poverty

All my stories here are Fables and outright Lies and the names have been changed to protect the guilty

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
(full auto capability, even a little bit, is a violation of the NFA and gets you in big doodoo with the Feds)
So a gun can be a little bit full auto? Is that kinda like being a little bit pregnant?

Buck

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
First rule is every gun seller or buyer is an AFT agent. Rules Number two, the hit man you are trying to hire is a police department.
LOL
good advice and might i add:
Four Leaf Clovers are Lucky

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
First rule is every gun seller or buyer is an AFT agent. Rules Number two, the hit man you are trying to hire is a police department.
Don't hire hitmen nor deal illegally in guns, and you should be alright then.

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Ok, so it is in fact possible to be a little bit full auto. Thanks for the expert advice @the_shootist !

Vlad The Impaler

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
For some reason I can't meet a buyer in another state to sell a gun with a dealer run background check but I can mail it as part of a gun broker sale. Can any FFL sort out the logic in that?
I

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
First rule in gun sale is no one talks about gun sale
second rule in gun sale is no one talks about gun sale

friends and family that is

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I lost all mine in a tragic boating accident...sad!
Fortunately my wife captured the event on her iPhone as proof!!

tragicboatingaccident.gif