• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Had to Purchase Another inkjet Printer

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Eagle
Reaction score
Nothing lasts anymore. It seems every 2 years I am forced to buy a new printer. Had Epson, Brother, HP and now a Canon PIXMA 8622.

It uses the thin cartridges which cost about $12 total to replace. HP is a racket and their software is invasive.

FYI, when your printer fails do not try to repair it. Last 2x I tried and ink spilled.

TomD

Often wrong but never in doubt
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I doesn't do color but I've had the same Brother laser copy/scan/fax/printer for quite a while, more than 10 years, I think. A toner cartridge lasts a couple of years at around 500 pages a year and cost around $30 something bucks.

davycoppitt

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
^ Same as above. Scorp mentioned the brothers laser printer along time ago and I picked the cheapest one up. $120 or so. Still same one and 2 toners later still running perfect. I get my toner carriages on eBay for under $20 and last me a few years. I also only print black for eBay labels.

Rollie Free

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
I haven't had a printer for years. Curious, what do you use it for?

viking

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Eagle
Reaction score
I own 2 small businesses and constantly print spreadsheets and other docs.

newmisty

Transcending the 5 Elements
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Nothing lasts anymore. It seems every 2 years I am forced to buy a new printer. Had Epson, Brother, HP and now a Canon PIXMA 8622.

It uses the thin cartridges which cost about $12 total to replace. HP is a racket and their software is invasive.

FYI, when your printer fails do not try to repair it. Last 2x I tried and ink spilled.
After a few pretty new brother inkjet started to give a low ink signal and refused to print, research led me to the fact that service technicians have a special code to type into bypass the planned obsolescence code telling you to buy more ink when you still have 80% left. Faking crooks, the whole lot of em.

TomD

Often wrong but never in doubt
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I own 2 small businesses and constantly print spreadsheets and other docs.
Unless you are printing photos, get a laser printer. You can get color laser, which do a good job on color graphics. But in any case, laser is order of magnitude cheaper to use than ink jet.

D-FENZ

Gold Chaser
Sr Midas Sup +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Just out yesterday according to this German article. Due to the chip shortages, Canon is selling print cartridges without them and telling customers how to bypass the DRM embargoes on the printer.

the_shootist

Politically Gender Neutral
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I have a Canon D420 laser multi fuction machine for 95% of my printing needs. I do have a Canon MP490 color inkjet printer which works well for the few times I did to print in color. I've had both these printers for about 5 6 years and they both work flawlessly with no excessive costs associated with them.

I agree 100% with those here saying if you don't need the color just get yourself a laser printer and forget about those costly ink jet cartridges forever

Goldhedge

Retired
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Unless you are printing photos, get a laser printer. You can get color laser, which do a good job on color graphics. But in any case, laser is order of magnitude cheaper to use than ink jet.
I used to fix copiers back in the day.

Ink jet printers are inexpensive for a reason... it's the ink that 'gets you'.

ALWAYS get a laser printer with dry toner!! Cheaper in the long run.

Color is usually more expensive because there are 4 colors AND it has four drums! If it doesn't have 4, it will be slower because it has to pass by 4x to print!

You can get B/W which is much cheaper because it only has one drum one color black.

Best advice I can give is before buying the laser of your dreams check the price of the toner FIRST and compare to the others.

I have a Ricoh color laser. It works great. HP, Canon, Brother are also good printers. The only thing I don't like is they put a chip on the toner that counts down how many copies it makes. You have to swap out the little chip (available online) to increase the amount. Drums usually last longer than the chip. They didn't used to 'chip' toner hoppers!

You also want one with the ability to hardwire to your router. Wireless 'works' but wired ALWAYS works. JMO

I just found this confusing:

Made to be durable, the M283fdwB features a maximum monthly duty cycle of 40,000 pages, with a recommended monthly volume up to 2500 pages.

So which is it... 40k pages/month or 2500 pages/month? I'd stick with 2500 to be safe. Most small businesses fit that range - unless you run a copy shop, then, buy a bigger machine to handle the volume!

There are also the 'multifunction machines' which is handy if you have to scan documents.

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Sr Midas Sup +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Never had a color laser but agree with those promoting BnW lasers.

chieftain

Trump got them plump
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Standard color inkjet = cheap printer, expensive to run, disposable
Ecotank-style inkjet = expensive printer, very cheap to run, lasts a while
Mono laser = cheap printer, cheap to run, longevity depends on brand
Color laser = expensive printer, VERY expensive to run, longevity is mixed bag

Buck

Mother Lode Found
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Carbon paper and Bic pens.
as a world society, we're working our way back to that point...it's gonna be terrible as many can't speel right now, even with a spel cheker....

Goldhedge

Retired
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Color laser = expensive printer, VERY expensive to run, longevity is mixed bag
I don't think it's VERY expensive to run - if you refill the toner yourself it's quite manageable. The quality is much better than inkjet.

chieftain

Trump got them plump
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
I don't think it's VERY expensive to run - if you refill the toner yourself it's quite manageable. The quality is much better than inkjet.

The last time I did an analysis of the printer market, the cheapest to run color laser printer was something like 24c per page. Compare that with less than a cent on a decent eco-tank style printer. Yes the print quality is better on a color laser but for most users, it won't be an issue.

Goldhedge

Retired
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
The last time I did an analysis of the printer market, the cheapest to run color laser printer was something like 24c per page. Compare that with less than a cent on a decent eco-tank style printer. Yes the print quality is better on a color laser but for most users, it won't be an issue.
Never heard of the eco-tank before this thread. Does the ink run if it gets wet?

The Shack recommends them so they must be good...!

chieftain

Trump got them plump
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
I run the previous model to this:

It prints like any other inkjet printer, drying time is quicker though.

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
printers....the bain of existence, F!

Just went through a round of fistycuffs with mine and had to actually umbilical it to the puter...friken freeks stopped talking to each other over wifi. I mean like F right?

gringott

"Internet Moofluencer"
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
Used them all professionally. I personally like color laser the best.
I don't know if it has changed, but I did have to use inkjet for large format printing back in the day.
My experience started in 1990 when I got a little Kodak inkjet and bought bulk ink and used a hypo to refill the carts.
When I went laser in 1992 I never looked back. When color laser came out, there I was.

the_shootist

Politically Gender Neutral
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Used them all professionally. I personally like color laser the best.
I don't know if it has changed, but I did have to use inkjet for large format printing back in the day.
My experience started in 1990 when I got a little Kodak inkjet and bought bulk ink and used a hypo to refill the carts.
When I went laser in 1992 I never looked back. When color laser came out, there I was.
I would consider a color laser but for the high per page cost. I find that the downside of color inkjet printers is that if they are used infrequently the inks cartridges tend to dry up. Does the same hold true for color laser printers that don't use a liquid ink?

gringott

"Internet Moofluencer"
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, they need to be used.