• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
GIM Hall Of Fame
Deleted post. Far too many posts like this. nmcu

Last edited:

wallew

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
UH, no big deal - it takes him to 3:47 seconds to actually say 'EXTERNAL' or 'INTERNAL' hammers. They all have hammers...

I do love a good shotgun, but recently upgraded from my old style Winchester model 12's to something a bit more modern. Neither my old shotgun or my new one has an EXTRNAL HAMMER.

Just my preference.

Joseph

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I just purchased a CZ 12 ga Coach gun. Cannot figure out how hammers strike the firing pin. The hammers sit approx 1/8" away from the firing pins. I loaded two shells, locked the barrel and the hammers are still 1/8" away from the firing pins. If I had to guess, I'd say it was a safety feature that would keep the gun from firing accidentally should it be dropped ... beyond that, I don't understand.
I've watched a few videos looking for some up close shots of the external hammers. The hammers on those guns are also sitting 1/8" off the firing pins, and yet they fire . I'm not where I can go outside and fire it at the moment, and rather than waiting a few days, I'm hoping someone here can explain what I seem to be missing .

CZ.SxS.12ga.jpg

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I just purchased a CZ 12 ga Coach gun. Cannot figure out how hammers strike the firing pin. The hammers sit approx 1/8" away from the firing pins. I loaded two shells, locked the barrel and the hammers are still 1/8" away from the firing pins. If I had to guess, I'd say it was a safety feature that would keep the gun from firing accidentally should it be dropped ... beyond that, I don't understand.
I've watched a few videos looking for some up close shots of the external hammers. The hammers on those guns are also sitting 1/8" off the firing pins, and yet they fire . I'm not where I can go outside and fire it at the moment, and rather than waiting a few days, I'm hoping someone here can explain what I seem to be missing .

View attachment 97541
never owned a hammer shotgun.....but on pistols and other open hammer guns i have the hammer has a safety feature that holds it like you said 1/8 away ...unloaded if you hold the trigger pulled you should be able to push the hammer forward then...point is the trigger has to be pulled for the hammer to hit the striker....this keeps the hammer from hitting the striker if the gun is dropped or something else accidentally hitting the striker unless the trigger is in the pulled position...this is done different ways by different manufacturers...and called many different names such as...transfer bar..hammer block...half cock...fireing pin block (safety).....if my explanation is unclear google some of those words

intresting that in the video neither of the shotguns has shell ejectors....

Last edited: