• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Hang on GIM....Municipal Owned High Speed networks the savior of the internet

gringott

Killed then Resurrected
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I know one thing, I am about ready to string my own fiber to the nearest junction box.
Personally I think the city should run the lines to the houses and provide a hook up in a central location for each neighborhood.
The residents can decide who they want based on service & price.
The provider would pay a fee to the city for maintence of the nieghborhood lines.

anywoundedduck

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I know one thing, I am about ready to string my own fiber to the nearest junction box.
Personally I think the city should run the lines to the houses and provide a hook up in a central location for each neighborhood.
The provider would pay a fee to the city for maintence of the nieghborhood lines.
My God man!
You're talking competition in a monopolized market.
WTF???

oldgaranddad

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter

:thumbs down: Sorry but that rates one big facepalm.

Government run internet? Yikes!

Just like government run schools producing illiterates, government run health care leading to waiting list and rationing, etc. (I can go on and on.)

Usually when the the government gets into a business to compete they pass laws and taxes to force their private competition to leave.

A classical case study would be NYC's Independent (IND) subway lines built to compete with the BMT and IND lines. The city jacked up regulations, taxes, fees, etc. until they created a monopoly they own now called the NYCTA, a division of the MTA (derisively called the "Money Taking Agency") that uses multiple sets of books and raises fares constantly while service decreases and has to be bailed out every 20 years.

No thanks! I'll take my chances with the crooks from Wall Street instead of the incompetent crooks in government who will make me pay twice.

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Gov run Internet
What an advancement

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
Well, government provides electricity in my town... gas too. Community based utilities...

The city owns the electric power plant but alas, they want to shut it down because steam looks like pollution... fools...

Rusty Shackelford

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
There is no way municipalities could keep up with the ever evolving tech advancements of digital infrastructure. As soon as they get the infrastructure laid and set up it will be out dated and in need of upgrades to stay current. This isn’t like laying sewer or water lines that need updated every 50 years (which municipalities can’t even do). The rates and taxes would far more xceed the $60 a month I currently pay for 100mbs service from Comcast.

oldgaranddad

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Well, government provides electricity in my town... gas too. Community based utilities...

The city owns the electric power plant but alas, they want to shut it down because steam looks like pollution... fools...
The politicians drove our local utility, LILCO, out of business. They were heading that way anyway but with a big political knife in their back it happened a lot sooner. So the state foisted the Long Island Power Authority (LIPA) on us because the New York Power Authority knew this was a bigger boondoggle than they were. Super Storm Sandy proved that out. So now we have LIPA in name only and it was outsourced to National Grid then to KeySpan and PSE&G. None of the savings ever materialized as the politicians promised yet the morons here keep voting them back into office.

oldgaranddad

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
...The rates and taxes would far more xceed the $60 a month I currently pay for 100mbs service from Comcast.
I've been in multiple government data centers that are still running 100mb internally still running Red Hat 4 and Win2000.

I have gigabit ethernet to my house and my crazy neighbor has 40 gbe in his home lab (he's upgrading to 100 gbe soon!).

Tell me again how goobermint will make it better?

gringott

Killed then Resurrected
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I had stock in Long Island Lighting and then they merged with Brooklyn Gas + Electric and then they became Keyspan, I actually had a paper stock certificate in Long Island Lighting. I was on a dividend reinvestment plan and they kept trying to buy me and the other "old" stock holders out, I kept refusing. Finally they did some legal BS and just bought us out without our permission, sent me a check and that was that. Interesting to see it from your end of the deal oldgaranddad.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
seems like my power provider a coop already has some form of connectivity at the pole via a connected meter (where i live i have NO form of wired internet connection availible at any price)...but they have smart meter capability

Buck

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
The heart of the government is to provide, to US, what the companies won't/can't provide, until such time as the companies can/will provide for us, what we need, as a society, to move forward

where in the food chain would you exist?
and
who wins in this type of insanity?

Buck

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
or

should the government only moderate problems between states and build shit like the Hoover Dam which no man alive could have afforded?

you tell us?

:dog:

Buck

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
government control of anything is bad, because ultimately you and I pay for it thrice

once to the company, twice to the government and a third time because the government is greedier than the company, which we know, will kill it's audience to continue it's own agenda, aka NFL

we're still not fixed folks

gringott

Killed then Resurrected
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Perhaps I was misunderstood.
My half-assed "plan" was to have the city [small city - not NYC or Chicago] create the fiber network within the neighborhood - no different than waterpipes. Not control the internet nor be the ISP. Fiber should last at least 20 years. The private companies lay fiber now - why if it is outdated in a year or two?
The ISPs would be private companies that would have the option to hook to the panel where the fiber to the home terminates.
I would suggest open to all comers. The private companies always bitch and use as an excuse "the last mile is the worst" just like vendors who ship products. Many are using the USPS for that "last mile" because they are already going to every house. I actually see the use of the USPS as a good idea, as long as the companies using it pay their way. The USPS needs it because, let's face it, first class mail volume has dropped like a rock.

I have city water and sewer. I have complaints. But I don't see a better solution for this type of area. By the way, our water pipes and fire hydrants were just replaced, Rusty, so yes, it can be done. I am quite sure it could be done in your area, perhaps your labor costs are too high?

As for electricity, I have a private company provider and we have some of the cheapest rates in the USA. By comparision, nearby an area is covered by an Electric Co-op created by farmers many years ago. Their rates are almost double mine, yet they are a non-profit.

My POTS telephone company is privately owned, this area was never part of the Bell system even back in the bad old days. They are slow to introduce improvements. Back in the late 1990's they had DSL I was a customer. Good for 1998. Now here in 2018 they basically have the same DSL service at the same rates. Horrible for 2018. They announced on their [very amatuerish] website they are "rolling out fiber". If you want to know about it, you have to send them an email with your address. I did. Answer: Your area is not being considered at this time.
LOL.
So much for private industry.

I agree, the less government the better in most cases. Some things it seems there are no better alternatives than the government, the best of the bad choices. If I had my choice I would have a septic system and my own well, but where I live that is not an alternative. I try to live in reality rather than what I would like better. Less frustrating.

oldgaranddad

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Perhaps I was misunderstood.
My half-assed "plan" was to have the city [small city - not NYC or Chicago] create the fiber network within the neighborhood - no different than water pipes. ...
Too much opportunity to have some politician court political donations otherwise the private ISP license may delayed or not get renewed to provide service on the public access way, or even further that say a company that donates to the wrong party or doesn't donate is now taking up too much bandwidth on the public "last mile".

@gringott: While your idea is noble there is way too much opportunity for the professional criminals aka politicians to take advantage of the system. I've seen it first hand.

gringott

Killed then Resurrected
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Too much opportunity to have some politician court political donations otherwise the private ISP license may delayed or not get renewed to provide service on the public access way, or even further that say a company that donates to the wrong party or doesn't donate is now taking up too much bandwidth on the public "last mile".

@gringott: While your idea is noble there is way too much opportunity for the professional criminals aka politicians to take advantage of the system. I've seen it first hand.
I don't disagee, but also I think something must be done to overcome the obsticles to competition and modernization. The current system in my area anyway leads to one major provider and a secondary substandard provider.
Perhaps technology will come to the rescue. Fiber like speeds over wireless with no latency at low cost. I can dream can't I?

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I finally finished firing the cable company. Dropped cable a couple years back and due to billing irregularities dropped their net as well. Went with a regional wireless ISP. The last mile was killing Spectrums speed anyway so the wireless is nearly as fast. Can stream two Netflix accounts simultaneously, what more could I possibly need?

Last edited:

gringott

Killed then Resurrected
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I finally finished firing the cable company. Dropped cable a couple years back and due to billing irregularities dropped their net as well. Went with a regional wireless ISP. The last mile was killing Spectums speed anyway so the wireless is nearly as fast. Can stream two Netflix accounts simultaneously, what more could I possibly need?
Moar. Always Moar.

oldgaranddad

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I don't disagee, but also I think something must be done to overcome the obsticles to competition and modernization. The current system in my area anyway leads to one major provider and a secondary substandard provider.
Perhaps technology will come to the rescue. Fiber like speeds over wireless with no latency at low cost. I can dream can't I?
Competition. Here on Long Island my town, Town of Hempstead, allowed Verizon to hang fiber on the same pole Cablevision did. I went from 10/30 mbs to 100 mbs overnight switching and now I have 1 gbe. Cablevision, run by the Dolans and claimed they were Long Islanders even though they helicoptered in from Connecticut every day, were forced to offer their customers more and more instead of using the customer base to finance their misadventures in Madison Square Garden, NY Rangers, Rainbow Networks, etc. Needless to say, the Dolans couldn't cut it. They sold out to a French concern, Altice, which is taking a hatchet to the Cablevision empire, now called Optimum. This is all the result of one thing: competition. I'm no fan of Verizon either but they so far have done good by me.

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
No, just like a city should subcontract the garbage collection service. Hopefully, there will be wifi across the USA in a short time making fiber necessary only for large companies that do major dumps.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
you guys and your fast Internets.....where i live i would love to have any kind of hard wired access ..... only thing available to me is Satellite and i am at the fringe of 4g cell....so i run everything off of verision 4g/3g with all the problems associated with being on the "fringe" and data limits etc...

yet i have a smart meter on the pole....not sure what they run that on...

so pardon me if i think this thread SUX... :)

ice gate.jpg