• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Happy susprise! I got lobsters

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
My younger son, Puck, went out on a beach dive this moanin' off Ft. Lauderdale. In his words, the "ocean looked like water in a bottle being shaken". Horribly rough. Even though it was the eagerly awaited two-day lobster season, there wasn't a soul on the beach, and certainly nobody in the water.

He went in anyway. Took him half an hour to get to the second reef. Then he dropped down on scuba, and saw that visibility was not 60-100 feet as it is most of the time, but no more than three feet. He wasn't even sure if he could find the reef... but he landed right on it.

And he landed right on five big lobsters. Puck has a PhD in bug-catching -- he started scuba diving at age 7. He is 55 now.

One of the bugs had eggs. One got away by just walking onto the sand and disappearing just four feet away, so he did not chase it.

He had also gone yesterday, and the sea was awful then, too. Again, as the only diver (instead of hundreds), he scored his limit in bugs.

So he made the 100-mile round trip to deliver three nice big bugs for dinner tonight for his mama and me in celebration of her birthday.

Ever kewl.

stAGgering

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Hey, now he knows what it is like to urchin dive in Maine for 7 seasons Sept - March.
Visibility 4' is awesome.
10' is like driving in east Montana and looking towards the Rockies.
He shoulda packed the INSIDE of his suit with ice to experience stage 2 hypothermia !
Dats Maine, the way life should be.

Now it is illegal to harvest bugs in Maine scuba.
You'd get crucified by state and lobstermen if caught.
But sometimes when the water is still warm... before October.
Those lobstahs would jump into the urchin bag and get pulled up "accidentally" by the tender.
In fact enough to become tired of eating them, even if lobstah pizza.

Then one day the Marine Patrol stopped by the boat, and we were all topside.
Look at the eggs (urchins) in top fish totes of 3 tote stacks.
Never pulled one tote off... and saw those sneaky rittle bugs.
That was the last day of lobster sneaking into the urchin bags.

Good diver to say F it and go anyway.
The only way a diver makes money is accumulation, no honey holes left, and that was in the '90s.
Relatively urchin season is not financially viable any longer.
Bad weather just means less catch. Or even worse visibility. So again, less catch.
Nothing like treasure hunting with a tank on.
Cool post, happy birthday Mom.

Last edited:

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
Once upon a time I got crabs, and I was nowhere near an ocean... ;)

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Here's an oddity: Two of the three bugs were softies. Their shells had not yet hardened. <-- This is a rarity: usually, the ratio is about 100:1.

With crabs, this is a major plus: you deep fry them and eat them like a sandwich... shells and all. Delicious.

With bugs, this is a major PITA: The meat is stuck to the soft (inedible) shell. Makes it triple messy to eat, 'cause you have to use a knife to peel the meat away from the inside of the shells, and you wind up wearing a lot of them there sea-going spiders.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score

Avalon

The most courageous act is to think for yourself
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I have never been able to put a live lobster in a pot and boil it...It seems like a horrible death.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I have never been able to put a live lobster in a pot and boil it...It seems like a horrible death.
Boiling water Head/Claws first. The shock kills them pretty quick.
STORY TIME:
At the grocery store you are several steps removed from how "The Product" got in front of you.
You aint seen or smelled nothing until you are on a Kill Floor for Cattle, Hogs, Sheep,... and one comes back to conscious as its Carotid arteries are severed.
At 19-20 yrs old I worked at an Abattoir ( slaughter house). One day I had a one ton bull in the chute to "knock". We used what looked like an inverted German potato masher grenade and used a .177 firing cap that drove the 7" steel rod into the skull to knock out the beast. Thick rubber washers pulled the rod out on firing.
I knocked the bull, reloaded, flip the door lever to roll the downed bull out. When I jumped down the stairs the bull was already up on his feet w/ a nose bleed. I yelled out. The guy at the station next to me started spraying the bull with high pressure water right in the eyes. I grab the bull's ear pulling his head down, shoved the stun gun up a little higher between his eyes and horns and knocked him again. "Down Goes FRAZIER"
I hooked up a rear leg and started the winch up raising the body.
The bull was so big his nose was still laying in the drain pit while I slit the throat hide and cut the carotid arteries.
After I beheaded the body the next station starts removing the hide from the legs and rump. when "The Rumper" got the free leg stripped he shoves a stainless steel hook into ankle tendon and removes the hoof. The Bull's weight straighten out the stainless steel hook. "Down Goes Frazier, AGAIN".
Reattached the hoist chain to the unstripped leg, double hooks in the stripped leg this time, and finally got the entire process going again.
A bad day at the office.

I've told this to many " If you can work a slaughterhouse or an Emergency Room's grime and gore, you can work any where".

Goldhedge

Retired
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
Reaction score
That's a great story!

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
I bet they were a booger to catch, clean and cook ?
Before I settled down to act normal, I used to entertain the other guys when I used a ball-peen hammer to kill them. They were a particularly hardy breed in our town.[
STORY TIME:
At the grocery store you are several steps removed from how "The Product" got in front of you.
You aint seen or smelled nothing until you are on a Kill Floor for Cattle, Hogs, Sheep,... and one comes back to conscious as its Carotid arteries are severed.
At 19-20 yrs old I worked at an Abattoir ( slaughter house). One day I had a one ton bull in the chute to "knock". We used what looked like an inverted German potato masher grenade and used a .177 firing cap that drove the 7" steel rod into the skull to knock out the beast. Thick rubber washers pulled the rod out on firing.
I knocked the bull, reloaded, flip the door lever to roll the downed bull out. When I jumped down the stairs the bull was already up on his feet w/ a nose bleed. I yelled out. The guy at the station next to me started spraying the bull with high pressure water right in the eyes. I grab the bull's ear pulling his head down, shoved the stun gun up a little higher between his eyes and horns and knocked him again. "Down Goes FRAZIER"
The bull was so big his nose was still laying in the drain pit while I slit the throat hide and cut the carotid arteries.
After I beheaded the body the next station starts removing the hide from the legs and rump. when "The Rumper" got the free leg stripped he shoves a stainless steel hook into ankle tendon and removes the hoof. The Bull's weight straighten out the stainless steel hook. "Down Goes Frazier, AGAIN".
Reattached the hoist chain to the unstripped leg, double hooks in the stripped leg this time, and finally got the entire process going again.
A bad day at the office.

I've told this to many " If you can work a slaughterhouse or an Emergency Room's grime and gore, you can work any where".
My Gawd, Goldbrix... speechless.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Before I settled down to act normal, I used to entertain the other guys when I used a ball-peen hammer to kill them. They were a particularly hardy breed in our town.[
I hear one remedy was to shave one side of the groin, set the hair side on fire and use and ice pick as they scampered to the shaved side.
IDK :don't    know2: Thats just what I heard. Never got them to try any cure.

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
STORY TIME:
A bad day at the office.

OMG... I think I just became a vegetarian! :oops:

Bushpilot

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Sr Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
I’ve shot tons of pigs with the .22 to butcher. Then stuck them with a Texas toothpick knife to bleed out, don’t fall in the pen or the rest will eat you!

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
If you don't grow up on/near a farm, you'll be shocked by how your food gets into your plate...

Animals don't spontaneously arrive to your fridge ready to cook and eat...

Starting at age 7 I spent summer vacations at a farm... had to cut off chicken heads and drain their blood into a bucket, after tying their legs to a ceiling rafter... Don't let go of their necks or you're in for a gory shower...

Once they're finally still (quite a while!) pass them on for the girls' chore, plucking feathers in boiling water.

Oh, did y'all really think that chicken grew in Styrofoam and plastic wrap?

Well, that was Happy Valley Camp... weeding the carrots and peas rows... a few hours without chores to go swinging into the river from a rope, ride inner tubes... great meals... spooky nights on bunkbeds in wood cabins without lighting or any glass in the window frames... better get to the outhouse before dark... Then up early to milk the cows... and steal a bareback ride hanging onto the mane of the horse in the field....

More Huck Finn than most venues... NO supervision outside of chores...

Some of the best (and most educational) times of my life... which like most of them would be against the law today... "for the poor children's protection"...

Speaking of which, yesterday I took my granddaughter to the pool complex in Sweden, and lo and behold, the first diving boards I've seen in decades (lawsuits, insurance)... one try from the 1 meter plank, followed by 5 dives (Kermit the frog style) off the 4 meter high board. What a thrill, 1st time in the last 56 years... but I'm paying for it today, a touch sore, haha!

Tha-tha-that's all folks!

Last edited:

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
If you don't grow up on/near a farm, you'll be shocked by how your food gets into your plate...

Animals don't spontaneously arrive to your fridge ready to cook and eat...

Starting at age 7 I spent summer vacations at a farm... had to cut off chicken heads and drain their blood into a bucket, after tying their legs to a ceiling rafter... Don't let go of their necks or you're in for a gory shower...

Once they're finally still (quite a while!) pass them on for the girls' chore, plucking feathers in boiling water.

Oh, did y'all really think that chicken grew in Styrofoam and plastic wrap?

Well, that was Happy Valley Camp... weeding the carrots and peas rows... a few hours without chores to go swinging into the river from a rope, ride inner tubes... great meals... spooky nights on bunkbeds in wood cabins without lighting or any glass in the window frames... better get to the outhouse before dark... Then up early to milk the cows... and steal a bareback ride hanging onto the mane of the horse in the field....

More Huck Finn than most venues... NO supervision outside of chores...

Some of the best (and most educational) times of my life... which like most of them would be against the law today... "for the poor children's protection"...

Speaking of which, yesterday I took my granddaughter to the pool complex in Sweden, and lo and behold, the first diving boards I've seen in decades (lawsuits, insurance)... one try from the 1 meter plank, followed by 5 dives (Kermit the frog style) off the 4 meter high board. What a thrill, 1st time in the last 56 years... but I'm paying for it today, a touch sore, haha!

Tha-tha-that's all folks!
I'm glad you are spending time with your family. Boy it was a rough time for you during the pandemic. You were the black sheep of the family and they thought you were nuts. I had to chuckle when I read you were painting at your daughters house.

I think farm life is an amazing way to grow up minus the animal killing. I have considered going vegetarian for that reason. I don't really eat red meat anyway but it does bother me. It may be taken out of my hands soon anyway.

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
I'm glad you are spending time with your family. Boy it was a rough time for you during the pandemic. You were the black sheep of the family and they thought you were nuts. I had to chuckle when I read you were painting at your daughters house.

I think farm life is an amazing way to grow up minus the animal killing. I have considered going vegetarian for that reason. I don't really eat red meat anyway but it does bother me. It may be taken out of my hands soon anyway.
I went vegetarian from age 15 to 22... then realized I wanted to be healthy and strong again, since I was too lazy to do all that vegetarian food prep crapola...

And I missed the taste of meat...

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the thread hijack btw...

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I went vegetarian from age 15 to 22... then realized I wanted to be healthy and strong again, since I was too lazy to do all that vegetarian food prep crapola...

And I missed the taste of meat...
I eat a lot of protein. Mostly chicken so I would miss it. Still it does bother so I probably should not be eating it.

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
I eat a lot of protein. Mostly chicken so I would miss it. Still it does bother so I probably should not be eating it.
Bothers me that forests get cut down... but from there to wiping my butt with my bare fingers is a bridge I won't cross...

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Bothers me that forests get cut down... but from there to wiping my butt with my bare fingers is a bridge I won't cross...
My daughter was a vegetarian for years. She said she didn't feel great. Now she eats a little chicken or fish. Food choices may not be an option. We will see.