• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

HEADS UP - NEW OFFERS - SALES or DEALS -

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I hate to say that without confirming anything. So for now lets just call it unusual.
I barely ping my morgan and it sounds like heaven.
Magnet doesn't stick to these but that doesn't mean anything.
Also in fairness the Canadian Maples don't have a great ping either. Some say its due to the size.

If anyone has a silver test kit (the acid) or knows of a place that can do an assay I'd be happy to donate this coin. Not sure if its big enough for an assayer though.

Thanks for confirming Louky.

Ragnarok

I'd rather be
Midas Member
The difference in (or lack of) a ring tone might suggest differences in the hardness of the blanks used?

R.

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Have they cleaned up the milk spot issues, ones I got in 2014 were dismal
I hate to say that without confirming anything. So for now lets just call it unusual.
Also in fairness the Canadian Maples don't have a great ping either. Some say its due to the size.

If anyone has a silver test kit (the acid) or knows of a place that can do an assay I'd be happy to donate this coin. Not sure if its big enough for an assayer though.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=silver+test+kit&_sacat=0&_sop=15

needler

Silver Member
Silver Miner

I know places. You can buy the silver acid tests online cheap.

savvydon

Gold Member
Gold Chaser

I have a verifier if you decide you want to send it along PM me.

Treasure Searcher

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
no deals. what's going on? everyone told me to wait til goldies crashed and i'd be able to buy it super cheap :(
Those premiums are staying high. A LCS is going out of business. Stopped by to see what was being liquidated. Premiums staying high there, too.

savvydon

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I would like to confirm that Cigarlover's prospector is genuine .999 silver, despite concerns about its ping, or lack thereof. I tested a coin that Cigarlover sent to me and compared it with a known .999 coin (a silver eagle) and a non .999 coin ( a Peace dollar) His prospector tested out good. See the following photos:

thumbnail_IMG_1610.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1611.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1612.jpg

Thanks to Cigarlover for sending the coin for testing. I guess the lesson is that not all silver coins ping the same. These Verifiers aren't cheap, but they can be extremely helpful.

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Thank you so much for doing that.. The ping is definitely off but happy to see they are legit coins.
I would like to confirm that Cigarlover's prospector is genuine .999 silver, despite concerns about its ping, or lack thereof. I tested a coin that Cigarlover sent to me and compared it with a known .999 coin (a silver eagle) and a non .999 coin ( a Peace dollar) His prospector tested out good. See the following photos:

View attachment 109624

View attachment 109625

View attachment 109626

Thanks to Cigarlover for sending the coin for testing. I guess the lesson is that not all silver coins ping the same. These Verifiers aren't cheap, but they can be extremely helpful.

bemac

Midas Member
Midas Member
LOL, well it's not like Provident would be minting fake silver. Jeez, they'd be busted out in short time and their rep would fall even faster.

louky

Silver Member
Silver Miner
LOL, well it's not like Provident would be minting fake silver. Jeez, they'd be busted out in short time and their rep would fall even faster.
The prospectors are low quality compared to the originals, i never said they were fake. If you want to check provident's rep, then people should mail their ntr, elemental, etc provident branded bars to sav. Those already been tested at .9984 rather than .9999. Provident is worst rep dealer in my book, not to mention all the times theyve floated my personal checks for nearly 30 days.

Last edited:

AguA

Seeker
Seeker
wait, if the peace dollar is 90% silver, why is the meter showing 99.99?
The 99.99% represents the setting on the machine. If the item measures as 99.99 Silver, the little black box would be between the brackets. Anything outside the brackets doesn't meet the standards.

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
The prospectors are low quality compared to the originals, i never said they were fake. If you want to check provident's rep, then people should mail their ntr, elemental, etc provident branded bars to sav. Those already been tested at .9984 rather than .9999. Provident is worst rep dealer in my book, not to mention all the times theyve floated my personal checks for nearly 30 days.
I ordered Brits last weekend and they shipped out yesterday. I always pay with Postal MO.

Ragnarok

I'd rather be
Midas Member
Wouldn’t the quality of the sound in a ping test depend on the hardness of the metal blanks used? Fully annealed .999 blanks may not acquire enough hardnes during the stamping process?

R.-

savvydon

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
wait, if the peace dollar is 90% silver, why is the meter showing 99.99?
The meter is set to analyze for .999 silver. By showing the empty bracket and the arrow that indicates that the metal signature is outside of the brackets it is saying that the coin is outside of .999 parameters. So you set the machine up to test a specific modality and then it tells you if what you are testing is in or outside of that accepted composition.

savvydon

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
If anyone needs anything tested just send me the stuff and something to cover return postage. Even though Cigarlover has not asked for his prospector back I would like to send it back to him. I'm not trying to do this as a business.

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Wouldn’t the quality of the sound in a ping test depend on the hardness of the metal blanks used? Fully annealed .999 blanks may not acquire enough hardnes during the stamping process?

R.-
I'd guess that you are correct. I just assumed that all .999 silver would be the same hardness.

Here's a link that discusses this a bit.
https://www.jewelrynotes.com/the-mohs-scale-of-hardness-for-metals-why-it-is-important/

on you tube there are lots of videos on the canadian maple dullness as well. It seems like it has something to do with the stamping process somehow.. I'm no expert though.

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
If anyone needs anything tested just send me the stuff and something to cover return postage. Even though Cigarlover has not asked for his prospector back I would like to send it back to him. I'm not trying to do this as a business.
Its all good, that was payment for the testing. :).. Although if it was fake I guess you woulda got screwed on that deal. :dduck:, Seriously though 1 oz of silver is a small cost for the piece of mind for all the others I have. In all the years of buying this was only the 2nd thing that I had questioned. The other was some strange 10 oz bar I got from Bullion direct when they were in business.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Seriously, what's the portability of a 100oz chunk of silver and how easy is it to sell? I was never a big fan of silver doorstops. Now gold is another matter best they're usually out of my price range

savvydon

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Seriously, what's the portability of a 100oz chunk of silver and how easy is it to sell? I was never a big fan of silver doorstops. Now gold is another matter best they're usually out of my price range
It is as portable as 100oz of silver can be. The market is pretty liquid in these things. It is a bit better if the bar is hallmarked (stamped with a known name/refiner), but regardless most dealers will offer close to spot.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
It is as portable as 100oz of silver can be. The market is pretty liquid in these things. It is a bit better if the bar is hallmarked (stamped with a known name/refiner), but regardless most dealers will offer close to spot.
I'm sure many people like them however; it's not my cup of tea...and that's OK:2 thumbs up:

I like having an option of selling to the masses at a coin show or gun show. 100oz bars are not as easy to sell.

bemac

Midas Member
Midas Member
Just under 7 pounds. Not something you can stick in your pocket and definitely mobile. Unless you got a bunch of 'em.