• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

HEADS UP - NEW OFFERS - SALES or DEALS -

Ragnarok

I'd rather be
Midas Member
I'd guess that you are correct. I just assumed that all .999 silver would be the same hardness.

Here's a link that discusses this a bit.
https://www.jewelrynotes.com/the-mohs-scale-of-hardness-for-metals-why-it-is-important/

on you tube there are lots of videos on the canadian maple dullness as well. It seems like it has something to do with the stamping process somehow.. I'm no expert though.
Canadian Maple coins are 24K gold and are very soft, which is why they don’t ring and are easily damaged.

Thanks for that link, good to know!

R.

Ragnarok

I'd rather be
Midas Member
Regular avoirdupois pounds. A bit over 8 troy pounds.

R.

Last edited:

Mr Paradise

Midas Member
Midas Member
My LCS guy is old school. He likes men that walk in with a brick and plunk it down in front of him and say “spot”. He then pulls out his gangsta roll, wets his finger and starts counting off Benjamin’s.
He doesn’t like all the beta’s that come in with their price guide, smart phone on some silver site & a bag full of various 1oz’ers saying “this one has a spider on it” “this one has a monkey privy its worth a lot” “this one has a dragon on it and there’s only 500,000 minted”, etc....

Silly wabbits, Brix are for men.

Varmint Hunter

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Anybody collect war nickels?

My LCS is offering me a large lot of war nickels for 98% of spot.
I don't have any of these & am wondering if I should be interested & wether the offer is fair?

Can anyone give me their 2c?
Thanks.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
i would sure like to trade some PD..AU..AG for some PT spot to spot if someone is looking to get out of some PT

Fatrat

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter

I don't have any of these & am wondering if I should be interested & wether the offer is fair?

Thanks.
I tried them, I decided not worth the hassle. Check buyback at Apmex and other dealers.

CrimsonGuardJay

Silver Member
Silver Miner
My main contention there is that everyone knows a pre 64 quarter is silver where as not everyone is immediately familiar with the silver in war time nickels. I think 90% junk is a decent way to hold silver.
I look for the simplest solution for sale purposes, a silver eagle is ultra easy to compute and you can get most of your premium back in the end. Same with maples and Phil’s, but the eagle is like a universal symbol.

Rollie Free

Midas Member
Midas Member

Thanks.
War nickels are like herpes, you'll carry them for life.

savvydon

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
True, but a total of $9.00 under on buy back is a lot. Premiums and buybacks have been pretty soft lately. I did just indulge on this offer though.
A $9 spread on this item is pretty small. By the time you factor in their shipping costs, overhead, time etc... that is a pretty darn slim margin to run a business on...

Mr Paradise

Midas Member
Midas Member
The current ATB buyback is $15 under on 5oz of numismatic.
So $9 under on a 10oz generic is nothing to sneeze at.

Krag

Planet earth
Platinum Bling
Many of them are into the metals for a lot cheaper so they blow out stock as it rises before the weekend; could drop on significant days, before the weekend, I'm not sure how the election will play this time if Congress goes democrat.

Varmint Hunter

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Provident has a $10 coupon code "salsentme" for $10 off $200 or more purchase by 9 PM central today only.
I went for the Kilo Ag at a cost of 15.13/toz.

Like usual the price will now drop substantially for the rest of you!

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I'm not Irons but I indulged. I usually can only get them at 3-4% over so saving a couple of bucks was good.
Yep, a good price for sure and I never pass up a good price for fractional gold! I asked Irons because he's known as being a sovereign fanboy and knows more than most of us about them

Last edited: