• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Hearing Aid Advice

BarnacleBob

GIM Founding Member & Mod.
Founding Member
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
MIL who is on a low fixed income needs some hearing aids. We have looked at Costco & Ebay after pricing HA's locally.... We have no idea of what models to purchase... Insurance subsidizes the purchase @ $1400 but the purchase must be from a licensed audiologist, which are selling HA's @ $2800 - $3700 pair. Any advice is appreciated.

itsamess

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Not really that familiar but saw this reference from a non profit for hearing aids that is part of the well known Lions for eyeglasses association.
http://www.audientalliance.org/

AUDIENT is a national nonprofit hearing care alliance uniting hearing health care professionals, suppliers, and related groups with the common goal of providing access to quality hearing aids and related care for low income hearing impaired people.

Has online form which lists income qualification levels and potential final costs.

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
No doubt about it, they are expensive. I've got one only because I have one ear that works. My insurance paid $1100.00 and it was supplied by an audiologist. The newer devices have blue tooth capabilities that allow to connect to cell phones and with an adapter, televisions.

The first hearing aid I received was through a grant program administered by the state. I was very reluctant to accept that they would be funding it but was told by several people, if I paid into the system, I can get a return on my investment. That lasted me 4 years. What a difference in being able to join conversations, kind of. Having all sound go into one ear makes everything blend.

I would suggest you talk with an audiologist and see if a payment plan could be arranged.

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Depends on her type of loss. I wanted in canal aids but because I have lost the high range, they won’t work. I have Starkey behind the ear and they Bluetooth to an iPhone. I like mine and get good battery life from them. Often forget I am wearing them. My loss stems from guns, music and heavy equipment. I know you can get them on amazon. It’s a shame they make you buy them from a clinic. Might use amazon pricing as a bargaining chip.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
You might get a hold of a school audiologist?

They know what works.

I used to work with them.

The one gal I knew said “Sure, you can buy them cheaper online, but who’s going to program it?”

What I know about electronics is that there’s probably a micro processer on board that enhances missing Hz. You know what Hz are missing by having an audiologist test you.

mayhem

Created in 2006
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Wife tells me I need them. I tell her that 90% of what people have to say isn't worth listening to so why bother. On a serious note I have no advice to offer except maybe a megaphone (like days gone by), or learn to sign. My neighbor is totally deaf and I learned basic signing, (it isn't hard) and we have some nice quiet conversations.

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I had Starkey @ $5K/pair. They continually needed repair. I got Costco for $1600, left side used batteries twice as fast as right side.
Now I'm trying cheapies from the internet, Nano. First pair wouldn't fit well in my ear, but worked as good as the mega bucks aids.
They are sending me, at no additional cost, an up grade to see how they work.
I just don't like how they work.
maybe I'll settle for this ! :rotf:

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I had Starkey @ $5K/pair. They continually needed repair. I got Costco for $1600, left side used batteries twice as fast as right side.
Now I'm trying cheapies from the internet, Nano. First pair wouldn't fit well in my ear, but worked as good as the mega bucks aids.
They are sending me, at no additional cost, an up grade to see how they work.
I just don't like how they work.
maybe I'll settle for this ! :rotf:
TAEZZAR, my first device had a mold made to fit my ear. The newer one has a cone shape piece. They fit snug. Am able to pull it off to clean then slip it back on.