• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

HEAT STRESS KILLS ESTIMATED 10,000 HEAD OF CATTLE !

andial

Stable Republican
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
"Heat stress doesn't happen all at one time. Cattle accumulate heat during the day, and then over the nighttime hours, it takes four to six hours for them to dissipate that heat. As long as we have a cooling effect at night, cattle can mostly handle the heat. Where we run into issues is where we have two to four days in a row of minimal nighttime cooling, and we start the day with the heat load we accumulated the day before still there," he said.

Tarpoff, who spoke with DTN, worked as an associate feedlot veterinarian in Canada before moving to Kansas. He said it's not uncommon to see issues with heat stress even that far north. And he pointed out that not all animals within a herd, group, or pen are affected by heat stress in the same way. A previous bout with respiratory disease that may have led to scarred lungs can make it difficult for that animal to cool itself. And there are other pretty basic reasons some cattle just don't handle the heat as well as others.

"The second week of June is when, historically, we start to see this, and I think a lot of it has to do with the hair coat. Cattle can adapt to almost any environment on earth, but they need time. At this point in the season, a lot of them have not fully shed that winter hair coat and slicked off," he said, adding that the fact that the majority of the U.S. cow herd is black also means they can't cool as efficiently.

In this most recent reported loss, many of the animals appeared close to going to processors. They were fat, and Tarpoff added that in cases like this, once these layers of fat develop, it can put animals at more risk of heat stress.

gnome

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
What do you do with 10k of carcasses?

Mujahideen

Owner Operator
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Less cows = less cow farts = less global warming = lower temps.

It’s self regulating.

Buck

Mother Lode Found
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score

It’s self regulating.
i'd imagine, at this point, if they opened up centers of relief: they could advertise it as Going Home, say it's in a Peace Center, there would be some willing participants (i'm certain some would be encouraged to participate)

skip the first 36 seconds:

note: at approx 1:55, it goes wonky again...but my point is made

:summer:

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
Platinum Bling
Reaction score

6E5CD1DD-9E07-4FC5-806D-B7577B762678.jpeg

the_shootist

Good luck!
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
It's pretty amazing how much bad luck our food supplies have had lately, isn't it?

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
rendering companies haul them off, and make them into pet food. There is a big one s of garden City ks. It smells lovely........

or you can bury em. They werent all in one place fwiw........

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score

Goldhedge

Retired
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

It’s self regulating.
Exactly what I was thinking... self regulating - no climate/carbon taxes required...

Rob

Reaction score
" he said, adding that the fact that the majority of the U.S. cow herd is black also means they can't cool as efficiently."

That's racist

Juristic Person

They drew first blood
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I call BS. We have cattle in Arizona. It routinely hits 115 degrees here and 110 in the summer happens often. The cattle don't just die.

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I call BS. We have cattle in Arizona. It routinely hits 115 degrees here and 110 in the summer happens often. The cattle don't just die.
This guy was canadian; sounds like his fuck up and finding somewhere else to point the finger.

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
Bovine Excrement, literally and figuratively. The cows that died from "heat stress" were poorly raised in a corporate feedlot where they may not have had access to grass (real cow food), shade or water to cool themselves if indeed that was part of the excuse. "Heat stress" (if true at all) in conjunction with disease was the hammer.

That would never happen on a family farm, where every cow has a name, and is accounted for and cared for from birth to death. On a family farm, every cow/chicken/field etc. is the lifeblood of the family that cares for the livestock, soil, etc..

Might be something to consider the next time you are hungry and pull into the McDeath drive through and ordering a burger.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
cows dont need shade, and grass fed beef tastes like shit.

the_shootist

Good luck!
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I couldn't agree more...of course its bullshit

Athletes don't just die en mass from heart attacks either.

There's always a reason we're seeing what we're seeing. There are no coincidences!

the_shootist

Good luck!
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Im still going with high nitrate feed.
The method they use may be somewhat subjective but their goal remains the same; all the while you and I remain on the same page!

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
So just talked to a buddy on the phone, the majority of the cattle that died, died near ulysses kansas, about 40 miles e of me. It has not been that hot here, I think the hottest weve had was 106 so far this year. Local guys think the issue is feed related.

dozer99

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
I have cows in my back pasture right now. I have cattle down the road at my In Laws place. I grew up on a cattle ranch and worked on one in High School. That article is full of ship!!!!

Agavegirl1

Gold Chaser
Survivor
Midas Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I have family that have raised beef cattle and friends who do dairy. They provide plenty of water and shade options. The dairy farms will put fans in and misters in some cases in the shaded barns. In a heat wave, a few may be lost but 10,000? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

Juristic Person

They drew first blood
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I couldn't agree more...of course its bullshit

Athletes don't just die en mass from heart attacks either.

There's always a reason we're seeing what we're seeing. There are no coincidences!
Exactly....nor do pilots.

1 died mid flight in 2019
3 died mid flight in 2020
109 died mid flight in 2021 (after the vaccine mandate on them).

But let's pretend the vaccine isn't responsible and this is just an anomaly with no explanation...

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
a statement released by a local vet.

We had a natural disaster in Southwest Kansas on June 11th, 2022 and in the days that followed that greatly affected cattle being fed for slaughter. It wasn’t a tornado or a flood or government conspiracy to dismantle our food supply. There’s no mysterious disease or theory, we know exactly what happened.
It’s called a heat index crisis. Prior to this day, our average high temperatures were very mild, the night temperatures were very cool, the wind was normal and we were receiving rain showers that we so desperately needed!
On June 11th, temperatures rose, humidity was high, and wind speed nearly ceased. This is an emergency for cattle. Cattle can not compensate for this type of weather event if they do not get a period of night cooling. For several days this continued. Our people did everything in their power to save as many animals as they could. Our people are amazing and tired and weary. We lost a lot of cattle and we are physically affected by each loss because we know first hand the resources and expertise that goes into raising safe, wholesome and delicious beef for our consumers.
This weather event geographically centered in Haskell County and Grant County Kansas. This is cattle feeding country. We are typically subject to a climate that is superior for raising cattle for slaughter.
There’s a video making rounds with misinformation and I’d like to take the time to connect with you as a feedlot veterinarian from Southwest Kansas, a consumer of the same beef you feed your families, and a person passionately working in production agriculture. If you have concerns or questions, I am happy to connect. I don’t have a video to go viral with because what happened is not entertaining to me, it’s my livelihood and it hurts to see my people dealing with so much loss.
Tera Barnhardt, DVM, MS

the_shootist

Good luck!
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
a statement released by a local vet.

We had a natural disaster in Southwest Kansas on June 11th, 2022 and in the days that followed that greatly affected cattle being fed for slaughter. It wasn’t a tornado or a flood or government conspiracy to dismantle our food supply. There’s no mysterious disease or theory, we know exactly what happened.
It’s called a heat index crisis. Prior to this day, our average high temperatures were very mild, the night temperatures were very cool, the wind was normal and we were receiving rain showers that we so desperately needed!
On June 11th, temperatures rose, humidity was high, and wind speed nearly ceased. This is an emergency for cattle. Cattle can not compensate for this type of weather event if they do not get a period of night cooling. For several days this continued. Our people did everything in their power to save as many animals as they could. Our people are amazing and tired and weary. We lost a lot of cattle and we are physically affected by each loss because we know first hand the resources and expertise that goes into raising safe, wholesome and delicious beef for our consumers.
This weather event geographically centered in Haskell County and Grant County Kansas. This is cattle feeding country. We are typically subject to a climate that is superior for raising cattle for slaughter.
There’s a video making rounds with misinformation and I’d like to take the time to connect with you as a feedlot veterinarian from Southwest Kansas, a consumer of the same beef you feed your families, and a person passionately working in production agriculture. If you have concerns or questions, I am happy to connect. I don’t have a video to go viral with because what happened is not entertaining to me, it’s my livelihood and it hurts to see my people dealing with so much loss.
Tera Barnhardt, DVM, MS
Honestly, I'm struggling to believe this. Why has this not been a topic of conversation in the past? Why now?

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
I talked to the night watchman at grant county feeders yesterday. It was hot and humid for 4 days with very warm nites, and no wind. The cows take on heat during the day, but it didnt cool down enough at night for them to release the day heat.

That is why they died. The cattle that died were nearly ready to butcher, so consuming yuuuge amounts of feed as well. The digestive process of a cow produces quite a bit of heat too.

Believe what you want I really could give a shit anymore. Cows die when it gets hot every spring, but this was an extreme case due to a weather incident.

Im glad to see what have a good crop of livestock 'experts' here.

:belly laugh:

It was aliens man.......oh wait.......the govt killed em with super secret weaponary........etc........etc.........etc

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Less cows = Less beef = Higher Prices = They want you to eat bugs or starve.

The elites probably poisoned their water supply and blamed it on heat stress.
Now, we need another food factory to burn down. Coming right up.
Anyone else notice how nice and neat the carcasses were next to each other ?

the_shootist

Good luck!
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I talked to the night watchman at grant county feeders yesterday. It was hot and humid for 4 days with very warm nites, and no wind. The cows take on heat during the day, but it didnt cool down enough at night for them to release the day heat.

That is why they died. The cattle that died were nearly ready to butcher, so consuming yuuuge amounts of feed as well. The digestive process of a cow produces quite a bit of heat too.

Believe what you want I really could give a shit anymore. Cows die when it gets hot every spring, but this was an extreme case due to a weather incident.

Im glad to see what have a good crop of livestock 'experts' here.

:belly laugh:

It was aliens man.......oh wait.......the govt killed em with super secret weaponary........etc........etc.........etc
You're right! At this point I don't give a rat's ass either! It doesn't matter how they died, they're dead and that will contribute to a loss on the farm and higher priced beef for the rest of us. It doesn't matter if it's being done by nature or by people dead set on reducing the food supply. There's nothing we can do either way, otherwise we would be doing it already!

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Thats because they took the dead cattle out of the pens with a skid loader and put them in a group so the rendering truck could pick them up. The pics were for insurance purposes.

Aliens........

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
7-10 k head died. There are 2.4 million cattle on feed in ks alone. It wasnt even a drop in the bucket, until the wackos got ahold of the story.

Sensationalism sells.......

Farmers didnt own these cattle, they died in a commercial feedlot, which is a generally corporation. Nearly noone finishes their own beef, they sell calves to feedlots. A guy might finish 3-4 per yr for family and friends.