• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Here we go again, Flat Earth observations! Dispelling the Myths.

BarnacleBob

Founding Member
Site Mgr
Site Supporter

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Didn't you hear? Flat Earth is completely dead. See "prominent" flat earther's attempt to prove the Earth motionless only to confirm the 15 degree per hour rotation:
Followed by them discussing that they should not let their results get out because it would be bad for flat earth. Oops! It got out including their discussion to deceive.

Then another prominent flat earther uses boards with holes in them with someone standing with a light in the distance to see what height they have to hold the light to be visible through the two holes. They end up having to hold the light higher than they expected due to (drum roll...) the curve of the Earth.

The only flat earthers left should be the fraudsters and the trolls.

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Followed by them discussing that they should not let their results get out because it would be bad for flat earth. Oops! It got out including their discussion to deceive.
Deception is all that flat Earth stuff has ever been about.

BarnacleBob

Founding Member
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
Vid is 1:08, yet there are 2 comments 48 minutes after the post was initiated. Gotta love it when comments are produced without even watching the vid.

skychief

enthusiastic stacker
Silver Miner
I think it started as a challenge for debate in logic.

In 1956, Samuel Shenton founded the Flat Earth Society. By 1966, satellite images from space clearly showed that the Earth was NOT flat, but spheroid.

"It's easy to see how a photograph like that could fool the untrained eye". said Shenton.

He attributed the apparent curvature to the use of a wide-angle lens, which can make straight lines appear curved.

Some people jumped on this wagon. When the internet came available, the Flat Earth model really took off, because most people don't have any opportunity to see evidence of the curvature.

Living in L.A., I see it (almost) every day. I look to the east to the San Bernardino mountains, which are about 110 miles away. They appear completely covered in snow. But they aren't completely covered in snow. Only the tops are (above the 3500 ft level). So why is the base of the mountain not visible?

Curvature of the earth.

Or I can go to the beach. Standing at the water's edge, I can see a container ship on the horizon. Only the containers on the deck are visible. I can't see the hull. I run up the embankment to the street level (about 90 feet higher than the water's edge) and now I can see the hull of the container ship! . . . Why? . . Curvature of the earth.

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter

BarnacleBob

Founding Member
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
Didn't you hear? Flat Earth is completely dead. See "prominent" flat earther's attempt to prove the Earth motionless only to confirm the 15 degree per hour rotation:

Then another prominent flat earther uses boards with holes in them with someone standing with a light in the distance to see what height they have to hold the light to be visible through the two holes. They end up having to hold the light higher than they expected due to (drum roll...) the curve of the Earth.

The only flat earthers left should be the fraudsters and the trolls.
LOL... The gyro dont lie!

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
And making genuine conspiracy theorists look dumb. IOW to discredit truth seekers. Simple yet mind blowingly effective.

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
And making genuine conspiracy theorists look dumb. IOW to discredit truth seekers. Simple yet mind blowingly effective.
Yep, that too.
...but when ya boil it down, even that's done as a means of deception.

birddog

Here for the show.....
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I have to admit, after watching a few of the better videos on flat earth theory, I have my doubts. Not that I am on board, just have some doubts........ And it doesn't help that government has lied to us about every other fucking thing forever.

And I'm not a dummy - I have a degree in aeronautics so I'm had lots of math and physics.

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
I have to admit, after watching a few of the better videos on flat earth theory, I have my doubts.
And I'm not a dummy - I have a degree in aeronautics so I'm had lots of math and physics.
That's how good their rational-sounding nonsense can be.
....but I can assure you, it is 100% nonsense they are selling.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I have to admit, after watching a few of the better videos on flat earth theory, I have my doubts. Not that I am on board, just have some doubts........ And it doesn't help that government has lied to us about every other fucking thing forever.

My dear, the Earth is a sphere.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
A lot of fuckery to sift through and good points by both sides.

Moar space photos!...

Where are the Real space photos of earth?
There should be millions upon millions of photos of the earth from space with all the satellites in orbit.

I like the idea of a Live Space Camera.
Like the ones in the eagles nest watching eagles being born.
A live stream from a satellite would get millions of views!...

E46CE01D-3685-49F7-83B5-608AEACD826D.jpeg

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
There should be millions upon millions of photos of the earth from space with all the satellites in orbit.
By your logic, where are all the cars, buses, trains and buildings on Earth in those photos? Surely if you think you will be able to see all of the satellites you should also be able to see all of those things. Have you considered that most of each would be too small to resolve from such a great distance without a higher focal length view?

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't expect to make out buildings on Earth on this 24/7 live view of Earth from Japan's Himawari-8 satellite that happens to get all the cloud patterns correct.
https://himawari8.nict.go.jp/?m=1&dS=15&dR=0&dD=&dQ=ON&dQW=150

D-FENZ

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Some people jumped on this wagon. When the internet came available, the Flat Earth model really took off...
That is quite profound actually. Proof positive that people will choose to believe whatever they will, and a scathing indictment of what we call the 'information age'. But a key part of the problem is the ease by which otherwise reasonable people will feed the insanity by debating with the ignorant, thereby giving them a platform. It's how we end up drowning in a sea of bullshit.

And then there are those who will always- no matter what- always dispute thousands of years of accumulated human knowledge and conventional wisdom. The internet facilitates this.

And yet, here I am, feeding the beast...There are flaws in the human genome.