• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Hip Replacement

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Wife thought I'd be a miserable bastard but just yesterday she said that I have been so nice. After all these years, she finally noticed.
It's the drugs. Soon you'll be back to your normal self. :lol j/k

Dismayed to hear about the no PT. You might want to bring this up with the doc on your next visit. It might just be no PT yet. Forget replacing the heating system for now it's more important to get that hip working again. Stop sitting around and get walking.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
It's the drugs. Soon you'll be back to your normal self. :lol j/k

Dismayed to hear about the no PT. You might want to bring this up with the doc on your next visit. It might just be no PT yet. Forget replacing the heating system for now it's more important to get that hip working again. Stop sitting around and get walking.
My younger brother caught a nasty attitude when he was on drugs. He ended up in the hospital once and they doc asked if he was always like that or was it the drugs. He'd get real ornery.
I don't even enjoy getting stoned any more as that seems to increase the awareness of the pain I had. Plus, I don't enjoy the feeling of not being in control. I've been on Vicodin for years and haven't had one since a few days before the surgery. Good riddance to them. One of my son in laws gave me a strain he grew that is high in CBD and only produced a slight and mellow buzz. Alaskan Purple is it's name. Good stuff. I may try my hand at that.
Keep moving is the key no doubt. Forgot to mention been eating much better too. May even have gained weight.

Bushpilot

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score
PT is important. I would recommend getting it even if you have to pay for it. Makes a huge difference in the total overall result of recovery. I know people that bitch about their surgeon and the hip replacement yet get the mumbles when I ask how much PT they did and whether or not they actually did the exercises. If you don’t do it, you only cheat yourself in the end.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Hey Mr, it's healing slowly. Thanks for asking. Apologies for not updating. Been over all good. Wife thought I'd be a miserable bastard but just yesterday she said that I have been so nice. After all these years, she finally noticed. At least I don't have the constant look and feeling of agony.

Had tremendous swelling in the leg right down to the foot. Family members were afraid it would be clots. Didn't show any tell tale signs of clotting like pain to the touch. Wife called surgeon's office and they told her I needed to elevate the leg and ice pack it and do foot pumps. Sitting in the recliner with a pillow under the foot didn't cut it. Had to get foot higher than the heart. Still slight swelling in the foot. No pain though.

What I've been going through is good day, bad day, good day, bad day. Not terribly bad but it seems like something I do during the day aggravates the joint making it painful to walk. The next day even though while getting out of bed hurts a little, once I get walking around pain goes away. Tylenol is the main pain med now although I will take a tramadol maybe once a day.

A few things I've found that flares the discomfort is getting in and out of cars with no issues with higher up vehicles, sitting for long periods of time, crouching down which I did instinctively and without a thought yesterday. I didn't get physical therapy, just a list of movement exercises to do. I was told to try anything but over extending the joint and if something does hurt, don't do it.

When I went for the first post-op last week where they removed the bandage which was a 3x8 waterproof cover. Incision looks clear and I have had no discomfort with that at all. Gets itchy sometimes though. No stitches on the skin. They use gorilla glue or something to hold it all together. Can shower, which I do daily just to loosen up the muscles in the morning but am not to submerse leg for a few more months. No hot tubbing for me for a while.

Had to use a walker for the first few days but quickly switched to a cane, which I still am leaning on. Try to walk as much as I can without it. Good for a few minutes. eg where the spike got driven in can become sore but not excruciating.

Other than being able to drive again the thing I'm looking forward to is being able to enjoy spending time and playing with my grand kids. The two I have atm are old enough to do stuff on their own. Do have another grand daughter coming in April. I had been seeing them at least once a week prior to the surgery as I got to watch them while mom went to work but I would spend my time sitting on the couch for the most part. I took them to the beach last summer and couldn't even go swimming with them due to the pain. Would really like to go on a hike with them. Lots of trails around here in and out of the woods.

I've carried a little bit of gratitude throughout my adult life. With all that I've put myself through, every day is a gift. Aside from the grey hairs and receding hairline all injuries are of my own doing. Sniff, sniff. You all have been a big help too. Even those I don't agree with. At least for the mind part anyway. Thanks for being there, peeps.
Just let me know when you need a little irritation. I'll be there for ya, if not already a PI Your A. ;)
I was told a elevated heart rate was good to get blood moving around. The more blood through the area the faster the healing.
On a serious note : A longtime back I had a comminuted fracture of my RIGHT fibula and a dislocated ankle. After the surgery and back home I was told to lay on the floor on my back and place my lower legs into a chair seat or couch seat. So I looked like I had been sitting in a chair that had push over backwards. At least 20-30 minutes 2-3 times a day. I did have an air mattress to lay on instead of a hard ol' floor.
I felt it seemed to help me heal up faster. I felt I was ready to go back to work two weeks before the Ortho. Doc would release me.
Something to consider.
To Your Improving Health,

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
Hey Mr, it's healing slowly. Thanks for asking. Apologies for not updating. Been over all good. Wife thought I'd be a miserable bastard but just yesterday she said that I have been so nice. After all these years, she finally noticed. At least I don't have the constant look and feeling of agony.

Had tremendous swelling in the leg right down to the foot. Family members were afraid it would be clots. Didn't show any tell tale signs of clotting like pain to the touch. Wife called surgeon's office and they told her I needed to elevate the leg and ice pack it and do foot pumps. Sitting in the recliner with a pillow under the foot didn't cut it. Had to get foot higher than the heart. Still slight swelling in the foot. No pain though.

What I've been going through is good day, bad day, good day, bad day. Not terribly bad but it seems like something I do during the day aggravates the joint making it painful to walk. The next day even though while getting out of bed hurts a little, once I get walking around pain goes away. Tylenol is the main pain med now although I will take a tramadol maybe once a day.

A few things I've found that flares the discomfort is getting in and out of cars with no issues with higher up vehicles, sitting for long periods of time, crouching down which I did instinctively and without a thought yesterday. I didn't get physical therapy, just a list of movement exercises to do. I was told to try anything but over extending the joint and if something does hurt, don't do it.

When I went for the first post-op last week where they removed the bandage which was a 3x8 waterproof cover. Incision looks clear and I have had no discomfort with that at all. Gets itchy sometimes though. No stitches on the skin. They use gorilla glue or something to hold it all together. Can shower, which I do daily just to loosen up the muscles in the morning but am not to submerse leg for a few more months. No hot tubbing for me for a while.

Had to use a walker for the first few days but quickly switched to a cane, which I still am leaning on. Try to walk as much as I can without it. Good for a few minutes. eg where the spike got driven in can become sore but not excruciating.

Other than being able to drive again the thing I'm looking forward to is being able to enjoy spending time and playing with my grand kids. The two I have atm are old enough to do stuff on their own. Do have another grand daughter coming in April. I had been seeing them at least once a week prior to the surgery as I got to watch them while mom went to work but I would spend my time sitting on the couch for the most part. I took them to the beach last summer and couldn't even go swimming with them due to the pain. Would really like to go on a hike with them. Lots of trails around here in and out of the woods.

I've carried a little bit of gratitude throughout my adult life. With all that I've put myself through, every day is a gift. Aside from the grey hairs and receding hairline all injuries are of my own doing. Sniff, sniff. You all have been a big help too. Even those I don't agree with. At least for the mind part anyway. Thanks for being there, peeps.
How's your PT going? Are you pushing yourself? If you're looking for ~100% recovery you need to push yourself further and further as you get stronger and stronger. Believe me, the extra push is worth it! It's the nearest thing to the fountain of youth we can get. My bionic knee hasn't felt this good since I first injured the original back in 1988 sliding into second base!

First rule of PT....if it doesn't hurt you're not doing it right!

Last edited:

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
How's your PT going? Are you pushing yourself? If you're looking for ~100% recovery you need to push yourself further and further as you get stronger and stronger. Believe me, the extra push is worth it! It's the nearest thing to the fountain of youth we can get. My bionic knee hasn't felt this good since I first injured the original back in 1988 sliding into second base!

First rule of PT....it it doesn't hurt you're not doing it right!
Yeah, once I get moving it hurts so good. I should look into PT. I'm thinking I should be further along.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
Yeah, once I get moving it hurts so good. I should look into PT. I'm thinking I should be further along.
Wait! Your surgeon's office didn't set you up with a post-op physical therapist?

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Wait! Your surgeon's office didn't set you up with a post-op physical therapist?
We requested the area visiting nurses to come to my house but they didn't have the staff. I got my surgery done out of my county so the therapists they use were not coming this far away. The Physicians Assistant didn't seem too concerned about it when I saw him last week. And yeah, I could push myself more.

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Well at least I have helpers to help me when I remind you to get some pt. Thanks people.

Push now or regret later. You know we're right.

Darn autocorrect

Last edited:

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Well at least I have helpers to help me when I remind you to get some pt. Thanks people.

Push now or regret later. You know we're right.

Darn autocorrect
I got some people saying it takes time to heal and I've got you guys nudging me along. I'll go with what you're saying. thanks for the kick in the ass.
:thumbs up 2:

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
I got some people saying it takes time to heal and I've got you guys nudging me along. I'll go with what you're saying. thanks for the kick in the ass.
:thumbs up 2:
You're PT is not as much to break in the new hip as it is to properly heal the surrounding area which was damaged during the procedure. Like I've said, you're in a race against scar tissue. The PT is to break that scare tissues into soft tissue before it becomes a thickened mass around the joint which causes pain and/or stiffness.

push those limits and measure your progress!!

You shouldn't need to listen to us or people around you. You should have had a PT support plan from your surgeon's office.

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Let the ass kicking continue ........... How's the PT coming along?

Pretty soon, you'll be blocking me.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Let the ass kicking continue ........... How's the PT coming along?

Pretty soon, you'll be blocking me.
I was wondering why my ass hurts. :winks2:

Had an appointment set up for tomorrow but waiting on insurance and until I get approval, that's in limbo. I have been moving around more which helps. Drove the car yesterday, that didn't do me any good.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
I was wondering why my ass hurts. :winks2:

Had an appointment set up for tomorrow but waiting on insurance and until I get approval, that's in limbo. I have been moving around more which helps. Drove the car yesterday, that didn't do me any good.
HH,

Remember that the goal is to maximize your range of motion and bust up scar tissue. What a PT would do is find your range limit and move that bar higher until you and he feel you're back at your original range of motion. Knowing that might help you try and do the right things until you get a formal plan in place. 90% of the progress you make in rehab is done at home alone every day.

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Another week another opportunity to kick some ass. You didn't think I'd let you slack off after the last report, did you. BTW the last report was rather lame.

Grab a chair and let me tell you a little story:

Mom fell and injured her shoulder. Mom being Mom, knew better then the rest of us. Her doctor set her up for some therapy. She said she didn't need therapy. Finally after being badgered by the family, she went. Did a few weeks and said "it wasn't helping" so she quit. She never fully regained use of her shoulder and had to hold that arm up with the other arm when she wanted to brush her hair.

My sister fell on an icy driveway and broke her wrist. They reset it by manual manipulation. Yeah, no surgery. They gave her a shot. An orderly came in an held her in the chair by pushing down on her shoulders. The doctor said it was "ok" to scream if she wanted to. The doctor held her arm with one hand, her hand with the other and gave it a quick snap. Setting in back in place. She thinks they heard her in the next town. She went to therapy. She said the thing that kept her going through it all was that "she didn't want to end up like Mom". She had to do occupational therapy which is more of a pain than physical therapy.

So moral of the story? Don't be a bad example when you can be a good one.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Another week another opportunity to kick some ass. You didn't think I'd let you slack off after the last report, did you. BTW the last report was rather lame.

Grab a chair and let me tell you a little story:

Mom fell and injured her shoulder. Mom being Mom, knew better then the rest of us. Her doctor set her up for some therapy. She said she didn't need therapy. Finally after being badgered by the family, she went. Did a few weeks and said "it wasn't helping" so she quit. She never fully regained use of her shoulder and had to hold that arm up with the other arm when she wanted to brush her hair.

My sister fell on an icy driveway and broke her wrist. They reset it by manual manipulation. Yeah, no surgery. They gave her a shot. An orderly came in an held her in the chair by pushing down on her shoulders. The doctor said it was "ok" to scream if she wanted to. The doctor held her arm with one hand, her hand with the other and gave it a quick snap. Setting in back in place. She thinks they heard her in the next town. She went to therapy. She said the thing that kept her going through it all was that "she didn't want to end up like Mom".

So moral of the story? Don't be a bad example when you can be a good one.
I knew it. I knew when I responded to your post you were coming to take me away, ha ha.
Let me esplain the insurance deal. On March 1st, Medicare parts A (hospital) and B (medical coverage) kicked in. I'm already covered for medical insurance through my wife's employment. When P.T. ran my insurance info, there was a conflict on which one was the primary insurance resulting in not being able to get insurance coverage. A solution was to contact wife's H.R. and tell them to cancel coverage through them, which we attempted to do. The regular person in that department is on vacation and the person filling in said they couldn't do anything about it. It's Monday and am hoping something gets accomplished today. This amounts to now I'm over insured but can't use any of it.

All had been good, I was getting around nicely, taking steps without any use of assisting tools, pain free and looking forward to being able to spend time with the grand kids. Then something happened and I don't know what caused it. I got out of bed Friday morning, it hurt to put any weight on my right leg. The hip and the leg where the spike was inserted started to and continue to become very painful when I try to utilize them. I figure it could be nerves waking up and if I keep moving and trying to put weight on it, it will work itself out. That hasn't been the case. I didn't feel this bad ever, not even after surgery. Now I use a walker whenever I have to move. I do keep moving. It starts off hurting, lightens up and after a few minutes hurts again. Called doc's office yesterday and they said to take more pain meds which I hadn't been taking earlier when I was feeling good. They think I may have done too much too soon. Seeing the doc tomorrow about the issue. Meanwhile, the set back is very frustrating.

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
I knew it. I knew when I responded to your post you were coming to take me away, ha ha.
It's good to know you're a psychic. Now tell us the future.......where will you be in 6 months? And what's this week's winning number for the Powerball?
Let me esplain the insurance deal. On March 1st, Medicare parts A (hospital) and B (medical coverage) kicked in. I'm already covered for medical insurance through my wife's employment. When P.T. ran my insurance info, there was a conflict on which one was the primary insurance resulting in not being able to get insurance coverage.
If you are still on your wife's plan (afaik) the wife's plan is the primary and medicare becomes the secondary. There's sometimes an additional issue, and it's based on who's birthday comes first in the calendar year, as to who's insurance is considered to be primary, (your b-day is first?, your insurance is considered to be primary) but I don't think it applies to medicare.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
If you are still on your wife's plan (afaik) the wife's plan is the primary and medicare becomes the secondary. There's sometimes an additional issue, and it's based on who's birthday comes first in the calendar year, as to who's insurance is considered to be primary, (your b-day is first?, your insurance is considered to be primary) but I don't think it applies to medicare.
It's not automatically set up that way. In order to have the two insurances, H.R. would need to talk to Medicare and determine according to how many employees are in the group, which would be primary. Did get a verification from the H.R. department this morning that I'm no longer on her insurance, so there goes that obstacle.

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
You know, I'm enjoying needling you, right? But in a good way.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
It's tough love!!! Between you, me and Taezzer we'll whip HH back into fighting shape. By the time we're done with him he'll be begging to get the other hip done so we can do it all again :lashing::inspector:

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Ah, I don't get offended. Nor do I enjoy the attention. I wish all was perfect but it's not the case. Trying to keep the walls from closing in. I'm not good at being idle. Onward, Buttercup. There's fuckery to be had.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Met with the surgeon this morning. He compared xrays from today and when he did the replacement. Nothing looks different as he was worried that the screws he used to hold the cup into the hip may have come loose. Yup, 3 screws. They look to be 2" coarse threads. I didn't know he screwed me. I feel violated. Guess I'm no longer a virgin.
Have a post op that was scheduled right after the surgery in 2 weeks when we will meet again. In the meantime, I'm to take it easy which includes no PT at this point. I was surprised at that because I want to hurry up and get the hip into something I can use but instead, I have to be patient and let whatever messed up heal. Still feels good to walk even if I have to use the walker to get around. Fecking thing is taking the finish off my hardwood floors. Hope those will buff out.

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
I see you're being proactive. Reporting progress before I come around and bug you for progress. Did you at least get a kiss? Use tennis balls on the walker legs. The green ones look spiffy.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
I see you're being proactive. Reporting progress before I come around and bug you for progress. Did you at least get a kiss? Use tennis balls on the walker legs. The green ones look spiffy.
It's the wheels that do the scuffing. I'm to follow through with each stride and not lift the unit. Unless I go outside, I end up going round in circles. Story of my life.

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Did you get a rainbow?

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Updating. Seems to be the thing to do on this site this week.

The pain and discomfort has subsided. Took it easy the past week and a half. Kept moving but didn't push too much. Joint is a little stiff but flexible. Still using cane to get around because it still hurts a wee bit to put full weight on right side. I have noticed that when I stand upright as opposed to the forward leaning that I've become accompanied to, pressure gets some relief. Takes some effort to catch myself doing that. Using the cane makes me lean forward. If I adjust the length, sometimes I can compensate. When I can, I move without it. Lasts as long as I choose. Don't want another set back at this point.

Got outside yesterday to do some yard clean up. Little bit o' raking and making piles. Didn't get a chance to burn anything but there's still 2 months left to do that. Hip feels good for the next day. Getting out of bed is becoming more natural.

May take car out again today. Drive it around the terrace to keep brakes from seizing. If comfortable enough may mosey into town. Not much there but can get out and about.

Second post op is next Tuesday. Hope to get PT going after that. Want to build back better, muh ha ha ha.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score

The pain and discomfort has subsided. Took it easy the past week and a half. Kept moving but didn't push too much. Joint is a little stiff but flexible. Still using cane to get around because it still hurts a wee bit to put full weight on right side. I have noticed that when I stand upright as opposed to the forward leaning that I've become accompanied to, pressure gets some relief. Takes some effort to catch myself doing that. Using the cane makes me lean forward. If I adjust the length, sometimes I can compensate. When I can, I move without it. Lasts as long as I choose. Don't want another set back at this point.

Got outside yesterday to do some yard clean up. Little bit o' raking and making piles. Didn't get a chance to burn anything but there's still 2 months left to do that. Hip feels good for the next day. Getting out of bed is becoming more natural.

May take car out again today. Drive it around the terrace to keep brakes from seizing. If comfortable enough may mosey into town. Not much there but can get out and about.

Second post op is next Tuesday. Hope to get PT going after that. Want to build back better, muh ha ha ha.
NIce! Thanks for the update

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
I have noticed that when I stand upright as opposed to the forward leaning that I've become accompanied to, pressure gets some relief. Takes some effort to catch myself doing that. Using the cane makes me lean forward. If I adjust the length, sometimes I can compensate. When I can, I move without it. Lasts as long as I choose. Don't want another set back at this point.
You need one of these or something like it.

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Survivor
Reaction score

The pain and discomfort has subsided.

HH, some how I got "unfollowed" on this. I went back & caught up. If you had the "anterior" surgery, you can stretch your hip a bit, while in bed. Simply stretch your leg as far as you can without pain, hold for a few seconds & slowly relax it. Do this 2 or 3 times & see if it helps.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
HH, some how I got "unfollowed" on this. I went back & caught up. If you had the "anterior" surgery, you can stretch your hip a bit, while in bed. Simply stretch your leg as far as you can without pain, hold for a few seconds & slowly relax it. Do this 2 or 3 times & see if it helps.
I've got a few stretches and most of them are while in a horizontal position. Simple things that it's hard to believe how well they work.

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Survivor
Reaction score
I've got a few stretches and most of them are while in a horizontal position. Simple things that it's hard to believe how well they work.
I have lived by the KISS theory most of my life, it has done me well.
Listen to ALL the advice about movement & exercise. As Shootie said, you are in a race against cartilage build-up.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
I have lived by the KISS theory most of my life, it has done me well.
Listen to ALL the advice about movement & exercise. As Shootie said, you are in a race against cartilage build-up.
Exactly. Sometimes movement hurts so good. After all I did yesterday, sitting bothers me more than moving.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Met with the surgeon this morning. He compared xrays from today and when he did the replacement. Nothing looks different as he was worried that the screws he used to hold the cup into the hip may have come loose. Yup, 3 screws. They look to be 2" coarse threads. I didn't know he screwed me. I feel violated. Guess I'm no longer a virgin.
-What, they never heard of red loctite?