• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Hip Replacement

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
The two wheeled devices they are standing one. Google it, you have lots of time, you're not doing anything.
I'll look into them later. Kinda busy right now solving all the world's problems from my keyboard.

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Finally got into PT. Hurts so good. Found a lot of the pain I was experiencing was from muscles or lack of. Comparing the left (uninjured) to the right muscle mass, got a ways to go to rebuild what I haven't been using. A muscle that runs on the inside of the thigh was very tight. After a little heat and massage, I got it to loosen up enough to not hurt anymore. Still utilizing a cane sometimes but am finding that the more I attempt to let the body work in a natural way, the better I feel. What a difference it is to be able to walk upright. Also found a little bursa on the lower part of the pelvis is being a pain in my ass.

Driving is doable now. Narcotic pain meds aren't as necessary but still crave them. Prior to the surgery I relied on vicodin on a daily basis. Whether I needed them or not was questionable. Once I get up and going, body feels better. Mornings still suck but not as much. A 50 mg. tramadol and 400mgs. of Advil is what I'm setting myself up on now. Now I'm mentally working on getting back to being productive. The set back I experienced slowed me down some and prolonged the sitting around the house. Have to remind myself that was just a bump in the road and to keep moving forward. I enjoy waking up early and get bummed if I sleep past 7. That has been happening too frequently. I'm certainly not on a schedule and am trying to set one.

Off to work on the fence. Wish I was being gone with it but, well lets just say someone else likes having it. I'll put her bitch ass to work on it too. She's cool with that.

Fiat Metaler

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
For those of you with knee or hip pain facing replacement surgery, an intermediate step might be injections of dehydrated human amniotic and chorion tissue (dhacm), also known as donated placenta. There is a company with a therapy in Phase 2 trials.

This is a link to an earlier study of 100 knees where significant improvements in pain and function were found.

The injections cost about $1000 and last up to a year.

If I was facing replacement surgery or taking drugs to reduce pain, this is something I would look into.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
For those of you with knee or hip pain facing replacement surgery, an intermediate step might be injections of dehydrated human amniotic and chorion tissue (dhacm), also known as donated placenta. There is a company with a therapy in Phase 2 trials.

This is a link to an earlier study of 100 knees where significant improvements in pain and function were found.

The injections cost about $1000 and last up to a year.

If I was facing replacement surgery or taking drugs to reduce pain, this is something I would look into.
I'd say the best treatments are the one's taken at the onset of problems.

Fiat Metaler

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
I'd say the best treatments are the one's taken at the onset of problems.
I don't know, you may be right.

But the study I posted was conducted by an orthopedist of 100 knees which included a substantial number of patients who were considering knee replacement surgery. At a minimum, these were patients who already had pain and impairments in their quality of like and knee function and found improvement with an injection instead of surgery.

Osteoarthritis (OA) of the knee is a leading cause of chronic pain and disability in the United States. Current treatment options primarily target OA symptoms reserving surgical intervention and knee replacement for those who fail conservative measures. . . . We conducted a retrospective review of 100 knees treated for symptomatic OA with micronized dehydrated human amnion/chorion membrane (mdHACM) and followed for 6 months. Our purpose is to present our experience and patient outcomes. Data were abstracted from electronic medical records of 82 consecutive OA patients (100 knees) injected with 100 mg mdHACM. Patient age, gender, adverse events and routinely collected Knee Injury and Osteoarthritis Outcome Score (KOOS) were evaluated. . . . improving to 52, 62, and 65 at 6 weeks, 3 months, and 6 months post-mdHACM injection. Percent increases were 32, 56, and 65%, respectively. Quality of life and sports/recreation domains improved by 111 and 118%, respectively, at 6 months. Pain scores improved by 67% at 6 months. All scores improved throughout the observation period. The most common adverse event was pain after injection lasting 2 to 7 days, observed in 68% of cases. This represents the largest single-physician experience with mdHACM for treatment of knee OA reported to date. Injectable mdHACM appears to be a potentially useful treatment option for knee OA patients. Controlled studies are underway to confirm these observations.

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Survivor
Reaction score
Narcotic pain meds aren't as necessary but still crave them.
Try just Advil, it worked for me from the middle of the first day. It will also keep your blue eyes from turning brown !!!
Pain med's are bowel blockers !
The set back I experienced slowed me down some and prolonged the sitting around the house. Have to remind myself that was just a bump in the road and to keep moving forward. I enjoy waking up early and get bummed if I sleep past 7. That has been happening too frequently. I'm certainly not on a schedule and am trying to set one.
Looks to me that you are on your way to recovery. The old body took a beating, work with it, & it will work with you.
Getting out to mend the fence sounds, to me, like a good exercise, just don't over do it. There is always tomorrow.

Are you having any swelling? If so ice it, for 15/20 minutes, every couple of hours. A 100 years from now, you won't know you even had the surgery.:don't know::dduck::dduck::dduck:
JM2C:2 thumbs up:

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Try just Advil, it worked for me from the middle of the first day. It will also keep your blue eyes from turning brown !!!

Looks to me that you are on your way to recovery. The old body took a beating, work with it, & it will work with you.
Getting out to mend the fence sounds, to me, like a good exercise, just don't over do it. There is always tomorrow.

Are you having any swelling? If so ice it, for 15/20 minutes, every couple of hours. A 100 years from now, you won't know you even had the surgery.:don't know::dduck::dduck::dduck:
TAEZZ,
I've found that narcotics, no matter which kind, fogs the grey matter. Looking back, I was a zombie all those years on vicodin. Not jonesin but sluggish. Got over the stool issues quick. No more mud butt from using softeners.

Just popped in to ice the joint. I'm in no hurry to get anything finished. It will be there until I get to it. Did some raking and burning earlier in the week. Found that I work it a little, gets sore, take a break, go back to it. By the end of the day, feels good. I'm replacing a 72' run of 6' tall stockade fence. Had to install it when we had a pool. Last wind storm knocked over a gate and a section. Stuff has been up for over a decade, so I guess I can't complain, but I'm gonna anyway, about giving it some attention.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score

Knowing the average age amongst the membership here in 100 years he won't care.

Goldhedge

Retired
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
You also might check into ROLFING

Depending on where you live (usually they are in cities) you can find a good Rolfer who will 'feel' what your muscles are doing and adjust things accordingly.

I had sciatic nerve pain and could barely stand up. I picked up a printer and turned and that was all she wrote.

Went the usual workmen's comp routine. Scripted me muscle relaxers ($300) and some patch for my ass. Nothing was working.

I also went to the chiro and she worked on me for a week with no relief. I asked her if she knew a good Rolfer - never been to one before and it just popped into my head. I called the rolfer and asked if she did sciatica. "Sure." How many sessions? "Two sessions, 90 minutes each, $90 per".

She worked my leg from my heel to where the glutes attach. She was dripping with sweat she was digging so hard. 2nd session was about the same. She earned her money!

Two sessions later (it's been 10 yrs) and I've never had a problem with it again.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
You also might check into ROLFING

Depending on where you live (usually they are in cities) you can find a good Rolfer who will 'feel' what your muscles are doing and adjust things accordingly.

I had sciatic nerve pain and could barely stand up. I picked up a printer and turned and that was all she wrote.

Went the usual workmen's comp routine. Scripted me muscle relaxers ($300) and some patch for my ass. Nothing was working.

I also went to the chiro and she worked on me for a week with no relief. I asked her if she knew a good Rolfer - never been to one before and it just popped into my head. I called the rolfer and asked if she did sciatica. "Sure." How many sessions? "Two sessions, 90 minutes each, $90 per".

She worked my leg from my heel to where the glutes attach. She was dripping with sweat she was digging so hard. 2nd session was about the same. She earned her money!

Two sessions later (it's been 10 yrs) and I've never had a problem with it again.
So, Should we consider this a Happy Ending ?

Fiat Metaler

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Try just Advil, it worked for me from the middle of the first day.

Advil (Ibuprofen), aspirin, and other NSAIDs can be effective and are a conservative treatment (i.e. try this first). But these and onther NSAIDs can increase the chance of heart attack and stroke, especially in people with high blood pressure, and shouldn't be taken long term.

If you are considering replacing a hip or knee, that is a chronic condition and NSAIDS are not appropriate long term. Opiods are an alternative for treating pain (not function) but of course are highly addictive.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Survivor
Reaction score
Advil (Ibuprofen), aspirin, and other NSAIDs can be effective and are a conservative treatment (i.e. try this first). But these and onther NSAIDs can increase the chance of heart attack and stroke, especially in people with high blood pressure, and shouldn't be taken long term.

If you are considering replacing a hip or knee, that is a chronic condition and NSAIDS are not appropriate long term. Opiods are an alternative for treating pain (not function) but of course are highly addictive.
Thank you, I was in error, it was Tylenol that I was taking. I cannot take any aspirin or any NSAIDS because they cause nasal bleeding for me.
I have been thru 1 total knee replacement (TKR) & 1 total hip replacement AND I am up for the other hip, soon.. I have high blood pressure med's & diuretics, so I must be careful, as you indicated..
BTW, I took only one oxymoron (my name for opiods) with my hip replacement, as I don't care for them, AT ALL. I did have to take them for 2 weeks with the total knee replacement.
For those that may not know, a TKR is many times more painful than a THR & takes many more months to recover. BUT they are both worth the temporary discomfort.
I tell people that we are very fortunate to live in a time where medical procedure can give us a much better life style in our later years. Both of these procedures have a very high success rate.
Here is a nice chart for comparison of Tylenol v Aleve. It indicates just what you said.:2 thumbs up::finished:
https://www.tylenol.com/safety-dosing/adult-pain-reliever-comparison-chart/tylenol-vs-aleve

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Survivor
Reaction score

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Finally got into PT. Hurts so good. Found a lot of the pain I was experiencing was from muscles or lack of. Comparing the left (uninjured) to the right muscle mass, got a ways to go to rebuild what I haven't been using. A muscle that runs on the inside of the thigh was very tight. After a little heat and massage, I got it to loosen up enough to not hurt anymore. Still utilizing a cane sometimes but am finding that the more I attempt to let the body work in a natural way, the better I feel. What a difference it is to be able to walk upright. Also found a little bursa on the lower part of the pelvis is being a pain in my ass.
I guess we pestered you enough, you had to finally do something to shut us up.

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
knees = PRP injections = your own white blood cells & plasma run through a centrifuge and injected into the knees...

YOUR OWN BODY CURES YOU... (worked for my daughter's father-in-law)

Last edited:

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
It's good the beating was successful. I don't like to waste a good beating.

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
I think you should post a weekly report card. Something that shows us what exercises you are doing and the progress you are making towards your goal.

Then (collectively) we can decide if you need further encouragement (beatings) to help you achieve your goal. :2 thumbs up:

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score

Driving is doable now. Narcotic pain meds aren't as necessary but still crave them. Prior to the surgery I relied on vicodin on a daily basis. Whether I needed them or not was questionable. Once I get up and going, body feels better. Mornings still suck but not as much. A 50 mg. tramadol and 400mgs. of Advil is what I'm setting myself up on now. Now I'm mentally working on getting back to being productive. The set back I experienced slowed me down some and prolonged the sitting around the house. Have to remind myself that was just a bump in the road and to keep moving forward. I enjoy waking up early and get bummed if I sleep past 7. That has been happening too frequently. I'm certainly not on a schedule and am trying to set one.

Off to work on the fence. Wish I was being gone with it but, well lets just say someone else likes having it. I'll put her bitch ass to work on it too. She's cool with that.
Sounds like you're back on the right track brah!!! NICE!

My rule of thumb was twofold when I was rehabbing

• If it doesn't hurt I'm not doing it right.
  • You only get out of it (PT) what you put into it EVERY DAY (no days off)

I'm very happy for you!!

Rehabbing from a TKR was the most challenging thing I've ever done!

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
knees = PRP injections = your own white blood cells & plasma run through a centrifuge and injected into the knees...

YOUR OWN BODY CURES YOU... (worked for my daughter's father-in-law)
An oral surgeon used the same method on me to fix a gap in my gums behind my last molar. The surgery was a success and the gap is now history

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
I think you should post a weekly report card. Something that shows us what exercises you are doing and the progress you are making towards your goal.

Then (collectively) we can decide if you need further encouragement (beatings) to help you achieve your goal. :2 thumbs up:
I'm flattered, Mr. Lucky. Ok, you asked, I'll deliver.

I did get my first PT in last Thursday with a line of appointments. Go back tomorrow, then I'll be doing Tuesdays and Thursdays for the next three weeks. They are very busy there. They start booking for the following month a week or two during the current month and those slots fill up quick. Got inspected and measured. A few new exercises and a stretch added to the ones I had been doing since I had the surgery. Again, hurts so good. Doing the following exercises with most while laying on my back:

Legs straight, push knees flat
Squeeze the butt cheeks
Slide foot towards trunk while bending knee
Swing leg out and bring back in (the most difficult to accomplish and need to use a rope wrapped around foot to assist)
Pillow under knees, lift foot
Legs dangle over side of bed, straighten leg
Laying back, lift and rock pelvis
Knees bent, pillow between them, squeeze together
Pull knee towards chest

Still on and off days. Yesterday got to spend the day with grandkids playing daycare. Good for the soul. Hours drive each way so made sure I walked around after each trip. Feeling it today but the more I move the better it feels. Sitting with a hot water baba as I'm typing. Going out to replace a sump pump hose for a client after I post this.

Made my PT appointments for 7:30 A.M. Working on rejoining the living. Was good to be able to re-coop at a slow pace but not comfortable being nonproductive. Will have plenty to do in coming weeks with it being Spring. Been searching self propelled push mowers. Hearing good reviews about the battery operated models. My son has one as does a client. Can only imagine they will be getting more expensive in the coming weeks. See how that goes.

Gotta get up and move again. Will check in later to receive my beatings.

Peace out.

Fiat Metaler

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
One of the challenges with therapies like PRP is that since there can be no monopoly on the product, there is little incentive to invest in research studies to show its effectiveness or safety. Still, starting with conservative thereapies like these seems better than jumping straight ahead to surgery.

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
neegan-smaller.jpg

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Survivor
Reaction score
I'm flattered, Mr. Lucky. Ok, you asked, I'll deliver.

I did get my first PT in last Thursday with a line of appointments. Go back tomorrow, then I'll be doing Tuesdays and Thursdays for the next three weeks. They are very busy there. They start booking for the following month a week or two during the current month and those slots fill up quick. Got inspected and measured. A few new exercises and a stretch added to the ones I had been doing since I had the surgery. Again, hurts so good. Doing the following exercises with most while laying on my back:

Legs straight, push knees flat
Squeeze the butt cheeks
Slide foot towards trunk while bending knee
Swing leg out and bring back in (the most difficult to accomplish and need to use a rope wrapped around foot to assist)
Pillow under knees, lift foot
Legs dangle over side of bed, straighten leg
Laying back, lift and rock pelvis
Knees bent, pillow between them, squeeze together
Pull knee towards chest

Still on and off days. Yesterday got to spend the day with grandkids playing daycare. Good for the soul. Hours drive each way so made sure I walked around after each trip. Feeling it today but the more I move the better it feels. Sitting with a hot water baba as I'm typing. Going out to replace a sump pump hose for a client after I post this.

Made my PT appointments for 7:30 A.M. Working on rejoining the living. Was good to be able to re-coop at a slow pace but not comfortable being nonproductive. Will have plenty to do in coming weeks with it being Spring. Been searching self propelled push mowers. Hearing good reviews about the battery operated models. My son has one as does a client. Can only imagine they will be getting more expensive in the coming weeks. See how that goes.

Gotta get up and move again. Will check in later to receive my beatings.

Peace out.
HH, great report, keep it up. Yer heading for total, perfect recovery. In 6 months, you won't even know you had the replacement, except, you'll have no pain & FULL use of your hip. :2 thumbs up: :2 thumbs up: :2 thumbs up:

gringott

"Internet Moofluencer"
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Glad you are getting better Hammer.

As for me, when I got bad joints I usually switch dealers.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Survivor
Reaction score
One of the challenges with therapies like PRP is that since there can be no monopoly on the product, there is little incentive to invest in research studies to show its effectiveness or safety. Still, starting with conservative thereapies like these seems better than jumping straight ahead to surgery.
Not necessarily.

This is MY HIP BALL. The doctor would not let me have it, but she took a photo for me. At 75 years old (3 years ago) there was no corrective measures other than replacement.

This is my hip ball & the "cheese grater" that cleaned up the socket.
No bone, just massive bone spur.

MY HIP BALL...png

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Hello boys and girls. Time for an update for Mr. Hammerhead's hip replacement. Can you say ow?

Still doing the physical therapy twice week. Got the groin muscle loosened up and now working on strengthening the right leg. Over the years, the left leg has been doing all the f-ing work whether standing up from a seated position or trying to reach down to pick something up or mostly anything the two legs should be doing simultaneously or together. I am trying to equal the use of the two. Am so used to kicking the right leg back while keeping it straight to reach toward the floor and am now trying to remember and bend both legs but it's not very easy to accomplish. Not only is it hard to get far downward, it is not easy to get back up. Coming out of a seated position, I am now trying to get on my feet using the right leg. Walking is good once I get started. Does take some effort to move the right leg initially.

Was asked to lift my right leg while it was flat on the therapist's table. It wouldn't budge. Therapist then placed a small ball under my knee and that allowed me to lift the leg. When we started to do the exercises, she put a wooden box probably 5" tall on the floor and told me to step up on it with both feet starting with the right foot and then bringing up the left. Then putting both feet back on the floor in a reverse process. Did this 5 times easily but by the time I got to the tenth set, it was difficult. Got put on the bike again and did about 10 minutes doing a mile every 2 minutes and 22 seconds. No difficulty at all with that.

Working on getting routines again. Watching the grandkids a few days a week requires me to get out the door by 6 A.M. so I can arrive at their place by 7. I also have my PT appointments set for 7:30 in the morning. It used to be that if I slept until 5:40 I was over sleeping. Don't see myself rising and out the door in 45 minutes again in my life but the earlier I start the day, the better I feel. Wife leaves for work by 6:10, so I get to see her before she heads out too. Doing Spring clean up at my place. there's a lot of work to be done. Pretty much lost the last year as far as yard work goes. Wasn't able to mow over the leaves last fall but did have some help dragging the leaves to the compost pile. The leaves hadn't broke down at all over the winter. Dragged my push mower over to the pile pushing it into the leaves. Taking a lot of passes and pitching leaves to spread them out so mower could attack them. Again, noticed most of the work being done by the left leg. I didn't push too much using the right but I did use it.

Yup, learning to walk all over again. Luckily I haven't fallen down but who knows, it may help. A few years ago I sneezed while going down the stairs which caused me to lose my balance and I ended up on the floor. Thought I would end up crippled but got right up and body felt better than before.

Not as good as I was hoping I'd be by this time. It is what it is though.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
Hello boys and girls. Time for an update for Mr. Hammerhead's hip replacement. Can you say ow?

Still doing the physical therapy twice week. Got the groin muscle loosened up and now working on strengthening the right leg. Over the years, the left leg has been doing all the f-ing work whether standing up from a seated position or trying to reach down to pick something up or mostly anything the two legs should be doing simultaneously or together. I am trying to equal the use of the two. Am so used to kicking the right leg back while keeping it straight to reach toward the floor and am now trying to remember and bend both legs but it's not very easy to accomplish. Not only is it hard to get far downward, it is not easy to get back up. Coming out of a seated position, I am now trying to get on my feet using the right leg. Walking is good once I get started. Does take some effort to move the right leg initially.

Was asked to lift my right leg while it was flat on the therapist's table. It wouldn't budge. Therapist then placed a small ball under my knee and that allowed me to lift the leg. When we started to do the exercises, she put a wooden box probably 5" tall on the floor and told me to step up on it with both feet starting with the right foot and then bringing up the left. Then putting both feet back on the floor in a reverse process. Did this 5 times easily but by the time I got to the tenth set, it was difficult. Got put on the bike again and did about 10 minutes doing a mile every 2 minutes and 22 seconds. No difficulty at all with that.

Working on getting routines again. Watching the grandkids a few days a week requires me to get out the door by 6 A.M. so I can arrive at their place by 7. I also have my PT appointments set for 7:30 in the morning. It used to be that if I slept until 5:40 I was over sleeping. Don't see myself rising and out the door in 45 minutes again in my life but the earlier I start the day, the better I feel. Wife leaves for work by 6:10, so I get to see her before she heads out too. Doing Spring clean up at my place. there's a lot of work to be done. Pretty much lost the last year as far as yard work goes. Wasn't able to mow over the leaves last fall but did have some help dragging the leaves to the compost pile. The leaves hadn't broke down at all over the winter. Dragged my push mower over to the pile pushing it into the leaves. Taking a lot of passes and pitching leaves to spread them out so mower could attack them. Again, noticed most of the work being done by the left leg. I didn't push too much using the right but I did use it.

Yup, learning to walk all over again. Luckily I haven't fallen down but who knows, it may help. A few years ago I sneezed while going down the stairs which caused me to lose my balance and I ended up on the floor. Thought I would end up crippled but got right up and body felt better than before.

Not as good as I was hoping I'd be by this time. It is what it is though.
I know exactly what you mean. You have to learn how to walk correctly again. It's going to take a lot of physical work of course to strengthen those muscles and tendons that have been fairly dormant for years, but you'll also need to retrain your brain to trust that right leg again once it's 'ready'. It takes a while to build the leg back up to meet the challenge then a bit longer to get your brain to trust it again but you'll get there.

Your attitude's right and work ethic seems strong so keep working and doing what you're doing. You reap what you sow in this rehab game and extra effort is rewarded with positive results!

You're doing great!!!

Last edited:

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Your days would be so boring had you not started therapy. Aren't you glad you started?
gim2--> :lashing:<--hammerhead

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score