• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Hip Replacement

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
I think we (GIM2) are ovedue for our next therapy report. :exercise: <-- Hammerhead

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
I think we (GIM2) are ovedue for our next therapy report. :exercise: <-- Hammerhead
Hey there, MrLucky guy.
Still a battle of knowing what I can and can't do with my right leg. Pulling muscles often which makes it painful to walk. I was under the impression that it would take 2 months to be up and running carefree so of course I get up and go like the wind. My physical therapists told me that may be true for people that aren't as active as me but I should realistically expect more like 6 months. Oh F me.

The right leg muscles are still adjusting to the enhanced range of motion. Last week I was crawling on a floor cutting plywood and pulling nails. That didn't go over very well. See how well today treats me.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Remember back when we were kids and Dad bought a brand new car ?
One of the first things the dealer told your dad after the purchase " You need to be careful and break the engine in for first 500 miles. Don't go over 45-50mph".
Same thing with the human body but YOUR "New Parts" need to be broke in. And the rest of the machine, Your Body is trying to tell you that.
Plus we are all older now and recovery / healing time goes longer that when we were full of Piss and Vinegar.
As taught in Weight and Power-lifting the human mind is always ahead of what the physical body is prepared for.
More "Chill-lax" time, More stretching time, If you are allowed to Ice and Heat do not forget to do those things.
Icing helps rush enriching, healing blood into that locale. Heat helps the muscles relax/ stretch.

In other words " TAKE IT EASY IRONMAN".

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Survivor
Reaction score
Hey there, MrLucky guy.
Still a battle of knowing what I can and can't do with my right leg. Pulling muscles often which makes it painful to walk. I was under the impression that it would take 2 months to be up and running carefree so of course I get up and go like the wind. My physical therapists told me that may be true for people that aren't as active as me but I should realistically expect more like 6 months. Oh F me.

The right leg muscles are still adjusting to the enhanced range of motion. Last week I was crawling on a floor cutting plywood and pulling nails. That didn't go over very well. See how well today treats me.
HH, I am a lot like you, nervous energy & gotta get stuff done. Take it easy & stay within conservative limits. An old saying applies here "Inch by inch, life's a cinch , yard by yard, life can be hard"!
Just my 2 cents from being there & doing that ! :finished::2 thumbs up:

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Remember back when we were kids and Dad bought a brand new car ?
One of the first things the dealer told your dad after the purchase " You need to be careful and break the engine in for first 500 miles. Don't go over 45-50mph".
Same thing with the human body but YOUR "New Parts" need to be broke in. And the rest of the machine, Your Body is trying to tell you that.
Plus we are all older now and recovery / healing time goes longer that when we were full of Piss and Vinegar.
As taught in Weight and Power-lifting the human mind is always ahead of what the physical body is prepared for.
More "Chill-lax" time, More stretching time, If you are allowed to Ice and Heat do not forget to do those things.
Icing helps rush enriching, healing blood into that locale. Heat helps the muscles relax/ stretch.

In other words " TAKE IT EASY IRONMAN".
Icing the thigh muscles now. Should be numb in no time. Calling a lid and am going to try to stay horizontal for today. Wife is home so I have someone to become and call on.

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
I got a bad feeling my right hip is going out

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Survivor
Reaction score
My left hip is going south. I got the shots, Corticosteroids , for my right hip, to no avail, therefore, total hip replacement.
I have been getting shots, for my left hip, for a year. This time, they are working nicely. If you do it, there is a difference in procedures. One is using ultrasound to guide the needle into the joint. The other & for me, much more successful, is using x-ray to guide the needle into the joint.
With all the shit of being burned out of our home, I put up with pain for 4 months before I scheduled my next shot. By the time I had walked out to my truck, the shot was in full force. I am pain free right now. I highly recommend the shot. :2 thumbs up::finished:

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Survivor
Reaction score
More poping and crippling pain that comes and goes
Wow, that sounds like a dry ball & socket. Mine was full of bone spurs & was severe pain. I was falling quite often, but no noises. See my post 115

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Like to the local watering hole? Ask it if the rest of you can tag along. Tazz ans HH are more helpful.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Saw the surgeon for a regularly scheduled check up. My physical therapist told me to mention my right leg had gotten shorter. Doc was quite alarmed. X-rays and a CT scan shows the cup installed into the pelvis has come loose. All the work I'd been doing to get the leg stronger came to an abrupt stop. Had blood drawn from the hip area to check for infection. Still waiting on results from that. Hoping it's not because if it is infected, it will all have to come out. Either way, there will need to be another operation. Different style cup might do the trick. Fecking feck, feck. Doc is referring me to another surgeon. Won't be seeing him for another week and a half.

I've been told that revision surgery isn't too uncommon. I've gone from feeling invincible to being afraid to move. Was given a set of crutches to help keep weight off of leg. More of a pain in the ass to use then a cane but it does help ease the pain. I do get around still but often freeze up while walking. Not that I lack the motion. Just scared to do the wrong thing. Looks like it's going to be another couple of months of little production. In the meantime, trying to stay positive. It is a challenge most days. Give a lot of credit to my wife for encouragement.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
Saw the surgeon for a regularly scheduled check up. My physical therapist told me to mention my right leg had gotten shorter. Doc was quite alarmed. X-rays and a CT scan shows the cup installed into the pelvis has come loose. All the work I'd been doing to get the leg stronger came to an abrupt stop. Had blood drawn from the hip area to check for infection. Still waiting on results from that. Hoping it's not because if it is infected, it will all have to come out. Either way, there will need to be another operation. Different style cup might do the trick. Fecking feck, feck. Doc is referring me to another surgeon. Won't be seeing him for another week and a half.

I've been told that revision surgery isn't too uncommon. I've gone from feeling invincible to being afraid to move. Was given a set of crutches to help keep weight off of leg. More of a pain in the ass to use then a cane but it does help ease the pain. I do get around still but often freeze up while walking. Not that I lack the motion. Just scared to do the wrong thing. Looks like it's going to be another couple of months of little production. In the meantime, trying to stay positive. It is a challenge most days. Give a lot of credit to my wife for encouragement.
My heart sank while reading this understanding the hard work and effort you've put in with your PT. Thankfully they've identified the problem and will get it right the next time.

I can tell you this....if my wife doesn't go to heaven after what I put her through and the absolute devotion to fulfill my every need during my recovery Sum Ting Wong up there! I know how fortunate you are to have a wife like mine!

This too shall pass and you'll be out there jogging again in no time! In the meantime, we're here fer ya bruh!!

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
My heart sank while reading this understanding the hard work and effort you've put in with your PT. Thankfully they've identified the problem and will get it right the next time.

I can tell you this....if my wife doesn't go to heaven after what I put her through and the absolute devotion to fulfill my every need during my recovery Sum Ting Wong up there! I know how fortunate you are to have a wife like mine!

This too shall pass and you'll be out there jogging again in no time! In the meantime, we're here fer ya bruh!!
Sometimes I wonder what she sees in me. I've been high maintenance the past decade. I guess that's what growing old together is all about.

Goldhedge

Retired
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Dang Hammer that sucks rocks!

Just goes to show when it comes to medical, they don't have all the kinks worked out.

I hope this all turns out for the better.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Survivor
Reaction score
DAMMIT, HH, Is your doctor very experienced in a THR surgery? This is one of the MOST successful surgeries in medicine !
In my opinion, what happened to you, should never happen.
For your Benefit, question the new doctor as to why this happened & do not take a sluff off answer.

Bushpilot

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score
I’m very troubled to hear this. Mine was an easy recovery and rehab. I agree that you should seek a second opinion from another surgeon. I would probably think twice about going to his recommendation, as they might be biased in their evaluation as to why this happened.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
I’m very troubled to hear this. Mine was an easy recovery and rehab. I agree that you should seek a second opinion from another surgeon. I would probably think twice about going to his recommendation, as they might be biased in their evaluation as to why this happened.
You are correct, Bush. I will grill the newer surgeon. He will have to convince me of what he is capable of. Was told that this guy teaches others and is part of a large city hospital.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
DAMMIT, HH, Is your doctor very experienced in a THR surgery?
He thought he had it licked. I sure gave him a difficult job to do. Thanks to my high tolerance of pain, I pretty much worked the old set up to just about the point I couldn't walk anymore. Had just finished up a bathroom repair two days before the surgery and I was gimping along. Oh it hurt tremendously so even after the surgery I was happy to just be able to sit in a chair without having to keep my leg straight.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Dang Hammer that sucks rocks!

Just goes to show when it comes to medical, they don't have all the kinks worked out.

I hope this all turns out for the better.
Thanks Hedge, I hope it gets fixed right too but this is the first time I am worried about the process. Like everything else in life, if I concentrate on the positive the outcome will be better.

The girls at PT said the couch potatoes are the preferred clients. It's the active people that make them work. Maybe I just need to sit around and get fat. Nom, nom, nom. Moar food.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Survivor
Reaction score
He thought he had it licked. I sure gave him a difficult job to do. Thanks to my high tolerance of pain, I pretty much worked the old set up to just about the point I couldn't walk anymore. Had just finished up a bathroom repair two days before the surgery and I was gimping along. Oh it hurt tremendously so even after the surgery I was happy to just be able to sit in a chair without having to keep my leg straight.
We are of the same mind set. I went until I was falling. I fell at the Ford dealer & I fell in COSTCO, OHHHH boy did I get their attention. I was actually standing behind the store manager when I went down. The look on his face was LAWSUIT, until I said, hey this is my fault, I don't sue. His demeanor changed, immediately.
All of this was 2 weeks before surgery.
Like everything else in life, if I concentrate on the positive the outcome will be better.
ABSIOLUTELY !!!

BarnacleBob

Exoriare aliquis nostris ex ossibus ultor
Founding Member
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Tomorrow I go into the hospital to get all the parts installed in February removed. Getting a PICC line to administer antibiotics which I will be sporting for 6 weeks. Then there will be a 'holiday' from the antibiotics. If infection is clear, they will install the new parts again using a different method to attach the cup to the pelvis. My hip will just be floating for the duration, not attached to the pelvis. Planning on being in the hospital for a week while they get meds correctly running.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Survivor
Reaction score
Tomorrow I go into the hospital to get all the parts installed in February removed. Getting a PICC line to administer antibiotics which I will be sporting for 6 weeks. Then there will be a 'holiday' from the antibiotics. If infection is clear, they will install the new parts again using a different method to attach the cup to the pelvis. My hip will just be floating for the duration, not attached to the pelvis. Planning on being in the hospital for a week while they get meds correctly running.
HH, I wish you all the success in the world.
A nightmare such as this should NEVER happen.
Follow the doctors instructions to the "T", all will be fine.
I am here for you, if you need someone to console you. :2 thumbs up::finished::beer:

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
I am here for you, if you need someone to console you. :2 thumbs up::finished::beer:
Thank you kindly, TAEZZAR.
Not sure yet how it happened but sometimes shit goes sideways. Real test of the will here. The hardest part is going to sitting still. I've got a few things in mind to do while I'm doing nothing. Learn to type. Practice my cursive writing, it's embarrassingly scribble. Read Unca's books finally. Of course I'll spend more time than psychologically safe on the interwebs but will continue solving the world's problems doing so.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
Good luck HH! You got this man!!

Taezz has had more spare parts installed and upgraded than the space shuttle. He's done been through it all. He helped me through my FKR a couple of years ago. The man is a saint, a wealth of knowledge and my great friend.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Survivor
Reaction score
Real test of the will here.
That is absolutely true. looking back for reference only, looking forward for results is your main objective.
I once worked for a guy that took me a long time to understand & appreciate.
His motto was : "If it's to be, it's up to me". He was correct !! :2 thumbs up: :finished: :finished:

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Had all the parts that were installed back in February removed yesterday. I'm now laying in bed with my right leg unattached at the top. My ass hurts from the incision but other than that pretty much pain free. Maybe it's the drugs.

I spent 10 hours in post-op and another 14 hours in the ICU. I'm a small guy weighing in at 130 #s so if some vital fluids like blood escape me, it doesn't take much to mess up my system. I did get an infusion and lots of iv treatments to raise my blood pressure from 86/50. Spooky thing to see on a monitor that's attached to myself.

i'm sofa king bored already. Not much to watch on the idiot box. I don't seem to appreciate what is offered for programming. I do find the 2 South of the Border stations amusing. They got flair, excitement and the women are made to appear beautiful no matter what shape they are. Oh wait, I know. Time to dig out The Cadet.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Survivor
Reaction score
Hang in there HH, oops, no pun intended. :rotf:
Seriously, I'm glad to see that the worst thing in your life right now, is the shit tv programming. You are off to a good recovery. :2 thumbs up::beer:

BTW, did I mention a "TENS" unit ? It is an electronic muscle stimulator, I use mine a lot. With you not being able to move your muscles in a normal manner, a TENS unit may help to keep the atrophy down to a mild roar. Ask you physical therapist, if you have one. If not, ask you surgeon.
Awww crap, ask both of them ! :gracious:

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
Just saw this. Hand in there brother. We're right there with ya!

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Made it back home. Was discharged Wednesday. Hospital staff were great people and I'm sure they miss me as much as I miss them. Pretty much confined to the 2nd floor of my house. Stairs are impossible by myself right now but they can be utilized with a second person. My wife had an operation on her foot the day after mine so we are the house of cripples. Luckily got family close by.

All the new parts are gone and there will not be anything connecting my leg to my pelvis for at least 2 months. I'm on 2 self administered antibiotics that are delivered through a PICC line. The treatments will go on daily for 6 weeks total. There will be a 2 week break in treatments to see if it was a success. Doc is working on finding the best method to reattach it all. There isn't much bone to attach new parts to so he's got some time to get a plan together.

This is certainly a journey that I don't wish upon anyone but where I'm at right now is not hopeless. It's going to take time to heal and repair, that is understood. How I deal with the confinement and lack of mobility is going to be the hardest part. As mentioned earlier, I can spend time refining my skills or pursue new ones. There are many that have it worse than me, so I need to STFU on complaints and in the spirit of the members here, deal with what's at hand and make things better.

Thanks for reading and following my journey. The encouragement is very much appreciated and helpful.

Last edited:

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Survivor
Reaction score
It is a pleasure to be a part of your journey. Looks like you have a very good attitude for it. That will be a major factor in healing. We are all pull'n for you HH. :2 thumbs up: :beer::beer:

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Survivor
Reaction score
All the new parts are gone and there will not be anything connecting my leg to my pelvis for at least 2 months.
Have you looked into atrophy prevention, or are the doctors not concerned? :don't    know2:

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Have you looked into atrophy prevention, or are the doctors not concerned? :don't    know2:
They've got me moving it around. Simple things like kicking from seated position. Started PT yesterday. Can do heal slides, leg spreads. I'm surprised at how much the leg still functions.
Woke up good and sore this morning, emphasis on the good. The dominant leg hurt more. Once up and about, feels better.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Survivor
Reaction score
They've got me moving it around. Simple things like kicking from seated position. Started PT yesterday. Can do heal slides, leg spreads. I'm surprised at how much the leg still functions.
Woke up good and sore this morning, emphasis on the good. The dominant leg hurt more. Once up and about, feels better.
WOW !!!, I thought you were mostly immobile. This is great. The human body is a marvel.
Isn't it nice that we live in a time when medicine can, in most instances, make our later years more enjoyable.
HH, I wish you great success. :2 thumbs up::beer::beer::beer: