• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Hip Replacement

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Absolutely amazed at what the medical field can accomplish. I think many take for granted the limits to it also.
As being the oldest, and with so many home-made, hand-crafted parts in me, I can truly tellya that the hooman bod is incredible in its ability to recover from major shit.

I spent TWO Christmases in an electric wheelchair (not enough parts left on me at the time to work wheels).

I now walk without a limp. Granted, things don't bend so well -- can't pedal a bike -- but here I yam. Lumpy and scarred, but doing fine.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
As being the oldest, and with so many home-made, hand-crafted parts in me, I can truly tellya that the hooman bod is incredible in its ability to recover from major shit.

I spent TWO Christmases in an electric wheelchair (not enough parts left on me at the time to work wheels).

I now walk without a limp. Granted, things don't bend so well -- can't pedal a bike -- but here I yam. Lumpy and scarred, but doing fine.
Gotta tell ya Unca, Jan's adventure carried me through a big chunk of time and mindset. Still haven't concluded the readings but Stuyvesant just showed up on the scene and Little Annetje has been declared a conduit of Gabriel.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Gotta tell ya Unca, Jan's adventure carried me through a big chunk of time and mindset. Still haven't concluded the readings but Stuyvesant just showed up on the scene and Little Annetje has been declared a conduit of Gabriel.
Well, dang me!

Remember: All the events happened; all the characters are real. Just dramatized.

BTW -- Here's the church at Sloten. I went there! It gave me goose-pinkles...

sloten.jpg

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Well, dang me!

Remember: All the events happened; all the characters are real. Just dramatized.

BTW -- Here's the church at Sloten. I went there! It gave me goose-pinkles...

View attachment 214828
Those historical markers that can be seen along the throughway and parkway will take in a new meaning

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
A bit of trivia -- which will kinda add, I hope, to what is coming next:

My mother's maiden name was Hermans. She was a direct descendant of Augustine Heermans, who was a pal of Jan's.

(*snork*) Never thought of this before, even though I wrote the freakin' genealogy book: BOTH sides of my family go back to the early 1600's in America.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Those historical markers that can be seen along the throughway and parkway will take in a new meaning
I use to loved to stop and read those markers and just admire the view for a minute or two, but it drives my wife crazy so I quit. We live in an area where a few Civil War battles took place along with the history of Hatfields & McCoys.
I think these markers are better than any state history class held in schools. ( If they still teach State History)

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
KIMG1288.JPG

This is the PICC line that I've been sporting for the past 42 days. It allows me to self administer my medications through the purple port and the red port is for blood draws. Met with infectious disease doc yesterday and she said the IV's will stop next Thursday and then switch to doxycycline for another 6 weeks. Then we take a 2 week antibiotic holiday. Try to grow cultures and check blood work afterwards. Not until all infection is gone will my leg get attached to the pelvis with a hip.

I'd like to show the xray of how my leg is now but too much privates stuff shows.

Last edited:

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Survivor
Reaction score
HH, that all sounds like great news.
Keep up the good work.
A 100 years from now, you won't even remember ! :rotf::rotf::beer::holding hands:

I'd like to show the xray of how my leg is now but too much privates stuff shows.
Copy the photo, put it in "Paint" & black out what you need to & save as "GIM Hip Shot" LOLOLOL

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Eeeeeek. TMI lol :)
Right. I sent a pic to my 3 kids thinking nothing of that.. Both daughters are in the health field and don't get worked up over human bodies but my son did compliment me with, "Nice ass". In one xray, I was wearing my shorts so the zipper showed up. Wife thought that's a better way to get to all the mess without cutting me again.

Goldhedge

Retired
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Is that your back, or your leg?

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Survivor
Reaction score

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Closer to hh's heart.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Closer to hh's heart.
It runs into the subclavian vein and ends before it actually gets into the heart. They use a sonogram to see where it goes when inserted. Scared the hell out of me knowing an infection in this area can be devestating but when taken care of properly, It is a relatively safe set up for delivering the antibiotics.
My biggest problem with having this attached is that when I work a set of stairs, I need to use a crutch on the side that doesn't have a handrail. Luckily I don't have to do stairs often but when I do, the crutch can rub against the dressing. Caused it to bleed once.

1627651889024.png

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
YOWZA. I got MRSA. Had a quart a day pumped into my heart for two weeks. TINS. Same setup.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
They are treating this as a staph infection with vancomycin.
This infection is a result of your first hip replacement surgery, right HH?

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
It runs into the subclavian vein and ends before it actually gets into the heart. They use a sonogram to see where it goes when inserted. Scared the hell out of me knowing an infection in this area can be devestating but when taken care of properly, It is a relatively safe set up for delivering the antibiotics.
My biggest problem with having this attached is that when I work a set of stairs, I need to use a crutch on the side that doesn't have a handrail. Luckily I don't have to do stairs often but when I do, the crutch can rub against the dressing. Caused it to bleed once.

View attachment 219602
Jeez, bro... when you gits old and crumply, get a one-floor house.

Stairs suck.

"They are treating this as a staph infection with vancomycin." <-- IMPORTANT (good) TRIVIA!!

MySonTheDoctor informed the staph doctor dude that vancomycin is five times more effective if it is combined with the bladder infection medicine that makes your pee either orange or green.

This bladder stuff removes most of the protective "gel/slime" that covers the MRSA (staph) stuff, making the vancomycin far more effective. The Infectious Disease guy did not know this. It was added to my regimen, and helped a lot.

You might want to mention this to your Infectious Disease doctor. Many of them do not know about it.

Just sayin'.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Jeez, bro... when you gits old and crumply, get a one-floor house.

Stairs suck.

"They are treating this as a staph infection with vancomycin." <-- IMPORTANT (good) TRIVIA!!

MySonTheDoctor informed the staph doctor dude that vancomycin is five times more effective if it is combined with the bladder infection medicine that makes your pee either orange or green.

This bladder stuff removes most of the protective "gel/slime" that covers the MRSA (staph) stuff, making the vancomycin far more effective. The Infectious Disease guy did not know this. It was added to my regimen, and helped a lot.

You might want to mention this to your Infectious Disease doctor. Many of them do not know about it.

Just sayin'.
There is a second med that I administer once a day. Forgot what it is called. Never good with names of meds.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Survivor
Reaction score

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Some people call it an arm. It goes by other names too.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
1627659934457.png

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
Stopped the antibiotics altogether as of today. Time to wait and do tests to see if infection is all gone. Will be a few more weeks.
All us joint replacement veterans are monitoring your progress closely brother! Thanks for the update!!! :2 thumbs up:

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Survivor
Reaction score
Stopped the antibiotics altogether as of today. Time to wait and do tests to see if infection is all gone. Will be a few more weeks.
That is a great sign of improvement, congratulations. :2 thumbs up:

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
Time to take a regimen of "pro-biotics" to renew your "intestinal flora"...

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Toss in a probiotic pill every day to help speed things along.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Toss in a probiotic pill every day to help speed things along.
My oldest daughter gave me a bottle of those pills when I started the doxy. An aunt of her's had lyme disease and the doxy gave her some nasty digestive problems. I've been off the antibiotics for almost a month now. Other than getting painful gas, caused by sitting so much is my guess, I think I've weathered that issue well.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Waiting to hear from surgeon about the series of blood draws over the past few weeks. As far as I know I will need at least one more. Am told he is looking at inflammation markers. I assured him even on my best day, those will be elevated thanks to arthritis. What ever it is he's looking for will tell the tale of if there is still an infection or not. Thanks to the 3D imaging of my most recent CT scan, he knows what kind of part that will be attached to my pelvis to accept the ball joint to make. It will be a triflange custom made instead of a cup. Still not sure of when this will be installed but I do hope it's long before the snow starts falling.

Big day for me today, although it may not seem much to anyone else. I went into my back yard for the first time since the very beginning of June. There is a back door off the kitchen that goes onto a small deck. It was a big accomplishment back in the early days just to be able to take that 4" difference in floor height to even get on the deck. Mind you, every step I take requires the use of the walker, my good leg and my arms. Crutches probably could be used but I really don't need to chance falling and breaking that unattached leg. There are 4 treads to get to the ground and without a handrail, I have not attempted to go that route. I may try scootching down on my ass tomorrow.

I ended up going out the front door, through the yard trudging over the fallen apples, through the gate. It's not only like I just wanted to be there even though it is a good place to hang out, there is work to be done. My oldest brother has been coming to mow the lawn every other week since June. Leaves in the back yard are just about all down. So I wanted to clear the pool area of leaves. That has 1/4" stone but no longer the 18' round above ground pool. I got the electric blower, hooked up the 50' cord and went to work blowing the leaves out of that area and into the grass. My push mower has mulching blades and a bag so I am able to transport the clippings to the compost pile. The project took up most of the afternoon. Dragging the cord, trying not to get it wrapped around my walker or the furniture around the fire pit, using the blower one handed. What a pain in the back, legs, arms. Hurt so good and I enjoyed every second of it. I really need pay attention to how I maneuver. Had to catch myself often from falling over.

Hoping to fire up the pit tomorrow or Friday night and sit out there with my wife.