• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Historic First: North Atlantic EMPTY of Cargo Ships in-transit - ALL anchored along coasts

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Historic First: North Atlantic EMPTY of Cargo Ships in-transit - ALL anchored along coasts; none moving
Post by Newsroom

- Jan 08, 2016

Screen Shot 2016-01-10 at 7.25.48 PM.png

Commerce between Europe and North America has literally come to a halt. For the first time in known history, not one cargo ship is in-transit in the North Atlantic between Europe and North America. All of them (hundreds) are either anchored offshore or in-port. NOTHING is moving.

This has never happened before. It is a horrific economic sign; proof that commerce is literally stopped.

The reason commerce has stopped is simple: People are not buying things. When people do not buy things, retailers do not sell things, so they do not order more goods for stock.

When retailers do not order goods, manufacturers don't make anything because there are no orders to fill. When manufacturers do not make goods, they don't order raw materials for manufacturing.

When there are no orders for raw materials, commodities sellers do not sell raw materials. When no raw materials are sold, there is no shipping by large cargo ships, (or railroads or tractor trailers) to move anything.

Put simply, the global economy is LITERALLY stopping. Right now. Today.

How things go from this point forward is simple: Without sales, retailers are not even "turning dollars" so they will have to layoff employees and close stores. Without orders, manufacturers will have to layoff employees and shut down. When manufacturing shuts down, suppliers of commodities will have to layoff employees and cease operations. As all of this economic activity comes to a halt, then the disaster REALLY takes off:

When businesses are not even "turning dollars" they cannot pay back their loans. Retailers, manufacturers and commodities suppliers will begin defaulting on bank loans within 30 days. When enough of them default, it begins taking-out banks. As banks begin to fail, others will run to their banks to withdraw money for fear THEIR bank will fail too; and therein starts "bank runs."

In the meantime, stock values plummet and people's life savings in retirement accounts, 401-k's, IRA's and the like, get wiped out of existence.

We are literally standing at the edge of an abyss. It appears we are about to go over that cliff . . .

To view the actual (real-time) movement of ships worldwide, and view the EMPTY North Atlantic, Click Here

https://www.superstation95.com/index.php/world/750

BarnacleBob

Moderator, Equal opportunity annoyer!
Founding Member
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
2e79051f535b06583dfeaa47b4b5b74c_XL.jpg

Commerce between Europe and North America has literally come to a halt. For the first time in known history, not one cargo ship is in-transit in the North Atlantic between Europe and North America. All of them (hundreds) are either anchored offshore or in-port. NOTHING is moving.

This has never happened before. It is a horrific economic sign; proof that commerce is literally stopped.

The reason commerce has stopped is simple: People are not buying things. When people do not buy things, retailers do not sell things, so they do not order more goods for stock.

When retailers do not order goods, manufacturers don't make anything because there are no orders to fill. When manufacturers do not make goods, they don't order raw materials for manufacturing.

When there are no orders for raw materials, commodities sellers do not sell raw materials. When no raw materials are sold, there is no shipping by large cargo ships, (or railroads or tractor trailers) to move anything.

Put simply, the global economy is LITERALLY stopping. Right now. Today.

How things go from this point forward is simple: Without sales, retailers are not even "turning dollars" so they will have to layoff employees and close stores. Without orders, manufacturers will have to layoff employees and shut down. When manufacturing shuts down, suppliers of commodities will have to layoff employees and cease operations. As all of this economic activity comes to a halt, then the disaster REALLY takes off:

When businesses are not even "turning dollars" they cannot pay back their loans. Retailers, manufacturers and commodities suppliers will begin defaulting on bank loans within 30 days. When enough of them default, it begins taking-out banks. As banks begin to fail, others will run to their banks to withdraw money for fear THEIR bank will fail too; and therein starts "bank runs."

In the meantime, stock values plummet and people's life savings in retirement accounts, 401-k's, IRA's and the like, get wiped out of existence.

We are literally standing at the edge of an abyss. It appears we are about to go over that cliff . . .

To view the actual (real-time) movement of ships worldwide, and view the EMPTY North Atlantic, Click Here

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-44/centery:-6/zoom:2

Last edited:

the_shootist

I identify as already vaccinated so I'm good!
Midas Member
Sr Midas Supporter +++
Reaction score
OK, is this legit?

BarnacleBob

Founding Member
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
OK, is this legit?

Seems to be confirmed by marinetraffic.com.

If it is true, the collapse & depression is here!

I hope its b.s., but it seems to be accurate.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Sr Midas Supporter +++
Reaction score
If it's true it's astounding!!!

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

the_shootist

Midas Member
Sr Midas Supporter +++
Reaction score

the_shootist

Midas Member
Sr Midas Supporter +++
Reaction score
literally a small handful of cargo ships in open water IN THE ENTIRE WORLD....that just blows me away

Scorpio

Hunter of Chin Li's Boo Hoo Flu
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
The map is cool as heck and interactive,

Re the facts, possible, but not likely

Yet, the decline in oil speaks to a decline in activity everywhere.

The dollar rise speaks to a demand for dollars, or a lack of capital worldwide

Professur

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
How about we take those ships, load them full of bunk beds, load all the 'migrants' onto them, and use them as mobile barracks. Nobody shooting at them anymore ... but they don't get to land anywhere until the fighting at home is over. Then they all get delivered right back where they came from unless they pass REGULAR immigration requirements.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Sr Midas Supporter +++
Reaction score
How about we take those ships, load them full of bunk beds, load all the 'migrants' onto them, and use them as mobile barracks. Nobody shooting at them anymore ... but they don't get to land anywhere until the fighting at home is over. Then they all get delivered right back where they came from unless they pass REGULAR immigration requirements.
Approved!!

Carl

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score

Ahillock

A nobody
Mother Lode
Reaction score
SHIPPING SAID TO HAVE CEASED… IS THE WORLDWIDE ECONOMY GRINDING TO A HALT?
JANUARY 11, 2016 / JEFF BERWICK / 11 COMMENTS

Last week, I received news from a contact who is friends with one of the biggest billionaire shipping families in the world. He told me they had no ships at sea right now, because operating them meant running at a loss.

This weekend, reports are circulating saying much the same thing: The North Atlantic has little or no cargo ships traveling in its waters. Instead, they are anchored. Unmoving. Empty.

You can see one such report here. According to it,

We checked VesselFinder.com and it appears to show no ships in transit anywhere in the world. We aren’t experts on shipping, however, so if you have a better site or source to track this apparent phenomenon, please let us know.

Vessel-Finder-The-Dollar-Vigilante.jpg

We also checked MarineTraffic.com, and it seemed to show the same thing. Not a ship in transit…

Marine-Traffic-The-Dollar-Vigilante.jpg

If true, this would be catastrophic for world trade. Even if it’s not true, shipping is still nearly dead in the water according to other indices. The Baltic Dry Index, an assessment of the price of moving major raw materials by sea, was already at record all-time lows a month ago.

BDI-5-year-chart-The-Dollar-Vigilante.jpg

In the last month it has dropped even more, especially in the last week.

BDI-1-month-chart-The-Dollar-Vigilante-1.jpg

Factories aren’t buying and retailers aren’t stocking. The ratio of inventory to sales in the US is an indicator of this. The last time that ratio was this high was during the “great recession” in 2008.

Inventories-to-Sales-ratio-The-Dollar-Vigilante.jpg

Hey, Ms. Yellen, what recovery? The economy is taking on water at a rapid rate.

The storm has been building for some time, actually. Not so long ago, there was a spate of reports that the world’s automobile manufacturers were in trouble because cars were not selling and shipments were backing up around the world.

ZeroHedge reported on it this way:

In the past several years, one of the topics covered in detail on these pages has been the surge in such gimmicks designed to disguise lack of demand and end customer sales, used extensively by US automotive manufacturers, better known as “channel stuffing”, of which General Motors is particularly guilty and whose inventory at dealer lots just hit a new record high.

Here is a photo of unsold cars in the United Kingdom from that article.

Unsold-Cars-in-UK-The-Dollar-Vigilante.jpg

The world’s economy seems in serious trouble. You can’t print your way to prosperity. All you are doing is hollowing out your economy. Draining it. And sooner or later it’s empty and you have to start over after a good deal of crisis and chaos.

It’s no coincidence that China is struggling desperately to contain a stock implosion. Reportedly, banks have been told they are forbidden to buy US dollars and numerous Chinese billionaires have gone missing. And the markets have just opened on Monday and are again deeply in the red.

Here at The Dollar Vigilante we’ve specialized in explaining the reality of the global faux-economy and why it’s important that you not believe mainstream media lies.

Every month we publish at least two editions of our TDV newsletter that, as our subscribers are aware, has predicted much of what is going on today. If you’re not a subscriber, you ought to take advantage of our current low rates before they go up on February 1. You can subscribe here.

And set aside time for our one-day TDV Internationalization & Investment Summitthat features some of the most insightful financial minds on the planet including Ed Bugos our extraordinary, in-house gold analyst and Austrian economist. I’ll be there as well as a presenter and also to answer your questions about our upcoming Super Shemitah Trends and Jubilee Year analysis.

We’ve gained literally thousands of subscribers because of the accuracy of our forecasting and investment recommendations over the past year. Now is your chance – perhaps a final one – to get out in front of the chaos racing toward us by attending our one-day Investment Summit, followed by the three-day Anarchapulco Conference.

I guarantee you’ll come away refreshed, invigorated and armed with insights to help you cope with what’s going to be a very volatile and challenging 2016.

In the meantime, keep your eye on this shipping story! If it is true and worldwide shipping is disastrously foundering, it’ll only be a matter of days before grocery store shelves will reflect that with increasingly bare shelves.

Are people upset now? Just wait. Interruptions in goods and services, most critically food, almost happened in 2008 during the Great Financial Crisis. For three days worldwide shipping was stranded due to shipping companies not knowing whether or not the receiver’s bank credit was good.

That crisis was staved off due to a massive amount of money printing. It was a temporary stay of execution, like bailing out the Titanic with coffee cups, however, and one that may reach much larger proportions in 2016.

Sailors watch the weather to see if it is safe to set sail. Investors should be watching the economic climate with the same intensity.

We are already sailing through very stormy waters.

https://www.dollarvigilante.com/blo...the-worldwide-economy-grinding-to-a-halt.html

Ahillock

A nobody
Mother Lode
Reaction score
BDI at an all time low, again. Falling and no signs of improving.

Baltic Dry Index falls to 415, down 14 points.
in Dry Bulk Market 11/01/2016

Today, Monday, January 11 2016, the Baltic Dry Index decreased by 14 points, reaching 415 points.

Baltic Dry Index is compiled by the London-based Baltic Exchange and covers prices for transported cargo such as coal, grain and iron ore. The index is based on a daily survey of agents all over the world. Baltic Dry hit a temporary peak on May 20, 2008, when the index hit 11,793. The lowest level ever reached was on Monday, January 11 2016, when the index dropped to 415 points.

Source: Hellenic Shipping News Worldwide

http://www.hellenicshippingnews.com/baltic-dry-index-falls-to-415-down-14-points/

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Dont we get most of our stuff from China arriving on the west coast anyway? What do we buy from Europe? Lambo's and Porches from Italy maybe. Most other manufacturers have auto plants here in the US .

lighthousekeeper73

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score

BarnacleBob

Founding Member
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
To put the BDI into perspective, imagine the DJIA was @ 11385 sometime in 2009, and by the first of 2016 it had declined to 415 points.

This is a GLOBAL crash of mega proportions, as the world economy is completely reliant upon maritme activities & shipping... which are completely reliant upon acceptable "letters of credit" as the engine of shipping & maritime commerce.

I'm beginning to believe that the credit markets are under severe distress.... possibly one or more major TBTF's are failing or have failed.... Whatever it is, it began first Q of 2014.

wallew

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
It's CRAP...

You go to the link - https://www.superstation95.com/index.php/world/750

THEN do a 'WHOIS' on the site itself "superstation95.com" - and it's REGISTERED to an owner in -
NOBBY BEACH, QUEENSLAND, Au

but it front page says this is in NYC, NY

SO, it's BS

the_shootist

Midas Member
Sr Midas Supporter +++
Reaction score
I came across a post from a member of another site and he seems to have a different interpretation of the data on that site. I have no way to know whether this is valid feedback or not but thought I'd post it for the guys smarter than me here to comment on:

I'm almost certain this is a misinterpretation of what those web sites show.

I regularly track inbound cargo and ship's positions are reported via contact with shore-based installations. When a ship is out of range of the shore it does in fact disappear off the tracking map. At that point the ship can be tracked by satellite but satellite tracking is a subscription-based service at marinetraffic.com and other web sites.

The free tracking service only shows ships in range of shore and hence the oceans themselves will appear empty.

Even on the marinetraffic.com map which supposedly shows an empty Atlantic you can see the positions of numerous ships underway that are in range of the Azores.

I recently had cargo delivered by the Hanjin Atlanta and you can see the ship's last reported position on 1/1/16 here, off the East Coast on its way back to the Panama Canal.

lumpOgold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not to pop the balloon here, but there are several explanations, one is if the ships aren't in range of an AIS receiver then the status will not be plotted (not satellite based.), so if a ship if 45-50 miles from a receiver it is not seen. Thus all the vessels plotted are close to terra firma.
Also using the filters you can see there are 60+ ships going to Long Beach alone.

Ahillock

A nobody
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I came across a post from a member of another site and he seems to have a different interpretation of the data on that site. I have no way to know whether this is valid feedback or not but thought I'd post it for the guys smarter than me here to comment on:

I'm almost certain this is a misinterpretation of what those web sites show.

I regularly track inbound cargo and ship's positions are reported via contact with shore-based installations. When a ship is out of range of the shore it does in fact disappear off the tracking map. At that point the ship can be tracked by satellite but satellite tracking is a subscription-based service at marinetraffic.com and other web sites.

The free tracking service only shows ships in range of shore and hence the oceans themselves will appear empty.

Even on the marinetraffic.com map which supposedly shows an empty Atlantic you can see the positions of numerous ships underway that are in range of the Azores.

I recently had cargo delivered by the Hanjin Atlanta and you can see the ship's last reported position on 1/1/16 here, off the East Coast on its way back to the Panama Canal.

Yet we have BDI lows that support the interpretation that global trade is down/non-existant. You can't have historical lows of BDI (never seen before) and not have an impact on cargo ship transit. They go hand in hand. The lows of BDI will impact the Dry Bulk Traffic.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Sr Midas Supporter +++
Reaction score
Yet we have BDI lows that support the interpretation that global trade is down/non-existant. You can't have historical lows of BDI (never seen before) and not have an impact on cargo ship transit. They go hand in hand. The lows of BDI will impact the Dry Bulk Traffic.
Agreed but, it seems the maps we're seeing may be giving us some info that is causing some false assumptions

lumpOgold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
Agreed but, it seems the maps we're seeing may be giving us some info that is causing some false assumptions

Yes, the data is being misinterpreted. It would be a truly amazing coincidence to have ALL ships in the ENTIRE world sailing within 50 miles of a coast. It would be like winning $1.3 billion in a PowerBall lottery.

Mujahideen

Owner Operator
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've still got the Internet, so who cares?

Scorpio

Hunter of Chin Li's Boo Hoo Flu
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
threads merged together to relieve confusion

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

the_shootist

Midas Member
Sr Midas Supporter +++
Reaction score
Here's the real picture of the shipping.View attachment 80449
Thanks for the facts! I hate being misled by apocalyptic drama queens. Things are bad enough without piling on crap like this and calling the whole truth into question.

Last edited:

lumpOgold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I wish I could do something about the fear mongers, but I'm too busy combing my hair. Here is the "paid" view using satellite technology followed by the "free" view using land based receivers for the AIS system. Anyone should be able to tell the difference. Red=tankers, green = bulk cargo ships: Baltick Dry Index is a measure for the "bulk" ships and the HAX or Hamburg index is for container ships, they are both down right now, but still year to year vs. 2014 the HAX is up. IMHO, this tells me that the container business is GROWING while commodity cargo is decreasing.

loggedin2.png
loggedout2.png

Ahillock

A nobody
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Yeah, I wish I could do something about the fear mongers, but I'm too busy combing my hair. Here is the "paid" view using satellite technology followed by the "free" view using land based receivers for the AIS system. Anyone should be able to tell the difference. Red=tankers, green = bulk cargo ships: Baltick Dry Index is a measure for the "bulk" ships and the HAX or Hamburg index is for container ships, they are both down right now, but still year to year vs. 2014 the HAX is up. IMHO, this tells me that the container business is GROWING while commodity cargo is decreasing.

Container business seems to slowing down here with a buildup of containers. 40ft containers can be now bought for <$1600-1800 locally. 12-18 months ago they were going for $2200-2400.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Thanks for the facts! I hate being misled by apocalyptic drama queens. Things are bad enough without piling on crap like this and calling the whole truth into question.

Which is what I like about GIM2! It's a brain trust of info you can't find anywhere else IMO.

Only took 25 posts to ferret it out!