• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Homemade Swing Trainer

BarnacleBob

GIM Founding Member & Mod.
Founding Member
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
The holy grail of golf is the inside-out swing that promotes the coveted draw. There are numerous expensive training devices on the market that claim to train & enhance the golfers swing.

Being the prudent uber cheap-skate that I am, I constructed this very inexpensive (less than $5) efficient & portable swing trainer that encourages & promotes the I-O swing.

The lengths may be cut to almost any desirable lengths. The device is made to the following length, size & specs to easily store in the average golf bag. The parts are not permanetly glued which allows for easy portabity, adjustability, installation & take-down at the range.

There are two options to construct the devices legs. One option is to construct the stabilizing legs at 90 degree angles employing 90 degree elbows. The other option is to use a short cpvc nipple & a 45 degree elbow. The image below provides an illustration of both methods:

20170608_092835.jpg

I have used both methods & in my experience the 90 degree legs provide much greater stability & balance to the device, especially when utilizing a much longer piece of pipe insulation.

Material List 45 degree stabilizing legs:

2 @ 1/2 x 1"/1.5" hex bolts
2 @ 1/2" 45 degree cpvc slip elbows
2 @ 1/2" 90 degree cpvc slip elbows
1 @ 1/2" cpvc slip tee
48" 1/2" cpvc pipe cut to the following recommended lengths:

3 @ 8.0"
1 @ 5.5"
3 @ 1.5"

Material List 90 degree stabilizing legs:

2 @ 1/2 x 1"/1.5" hex bolts
4 @ 1/2" 90 degree CPVC Slip Elbows
1 @ 1/2" CPVC Slip Tee
1 @ 1/2" x 18" Pipe Insulation
1 @ minimum 45" 1/2" CPVC Pipe

Cut the 1/2" CPVC Pipe into the following recommended lengths.

5 @ 8.5" L
1 @ 5.5" L
1 @ 1.5"/2" L

Cut the 1/2" pipe insulation 1 @ desired length (8+" to 16")

Thread the 2 @ 1/2" hex bolts into 2 @ 1/2" x 8.5" lengths of 1/2" CPVC pipe nipples. The 1/2" hex bolts serve as counter-weights to stabilize the device.

Next slip the various parts together. The pipe insulation is fairly rigid out to around 16" & can be cut to custom length & easily placed in various positions as shown in the next thread.

20170607_111808.jpg

Two options for installing the pipe insulation horizontally onto the extension tube are available. #1: The pipe insulation is easily perforated & poked horizontally onto the extension tube. (exhibited above) #2: Place a 90 degree cpvc elbow & a 2" L nipple onto the extension tube & easily slid the pipe insululation on & off (exhibited below).

20170608_092618.jpg

If you decide to paint the device, clean the pipe & parts with lacquer thinner or mineral spirits & lightly sand prior to painting. The insides of the slip fittings should receive a very light coating of vaseline applied with a cotton swap tip to prevent any paint from glueing together the slip parts. Optionally the elbows may be glued on the leg side & the 1/2" x 5.5" stantion nipple may be glued to the middle outlet of the cpvc slip tee to prevent losing the parts. I recommend that careful consideration should be employed to retain full adjustability for uneven lies when gluing the parts.

The device exhibited below is 2 yrs old & has been assembled & reassembled many times. The various parts continue to possess adequate tightness to maintain proper functionality. The only part that has gone missing is the 1/2" slip cap.

20170607_091442.jpg
20170607_095814.jpg
20170607_100035.jpg

The $89 commercial device (below):

https://golficity.com/inside-approach-multifaceted-training-tool/

OPTIONALLY the upright 5.5" stantion on the home built device can be curved to mimic the commercial offering using several methods. #1: 2 @ 1/2" 45 degree elbows will produce a curvature. #2: Filling the cpvc upright stantion tube with sand then applying heat will bend the pipe creating a nice cosmetic appearance.

The counter-weight hex head bolts can usually be slowly screwed into the 1/2" cpvc pipe w/o tapping. However its much easier when the pipe is tapped. 1/2" lag screws may be easier if a tap is not available. I havent tried these methods but I think that small fitting fishing sinkers or even cut & fit wheel weights place in the stabilizer legs could be utilized.

Attachments

BarnacleBob

GIM Founding Member & Mod.
Founding Member
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
How to use the training device.

20170607_110905.jpg

The device will force the player to pull the head & shaft to the inside to prevent colliding with the device. An uncontrolled outside-in swing WILL produce a collision.

Below is a vid on illustrating the proper use of the commercial $89 version of the homemade device:

Inside Approach Golf Swing Training Aid:

Last edited: