• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Honey, the Healer

hardmoney

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Several years ago, I was watching some kind of a show about ancient Egypt and they were saying how they had found some honey in a tomb that was still edible. The person they were interviewing said that the Egyptians had also used honey on wounds and that if you put honey on a wound you could guarantee it would not get infected. Over the years, I have used it to fight infection in wounds and to aid in the healing of various damages to various members of the fambly. Notably, after we had both of our dogs fixed at the same time, one of them pulled her stitches out. We were living semi-remotely and the Vet was not even in town anymore. As she had a gaping wound in her belly, we tried super glue, butterfly bandages, etc. Nothing worked. The Wife made a bandage that wrapped around the dog's belly and held wad of gauze with a wad of honey on it over the cut and renewed the honey every day for about a week. Not only did the honey prevent any infection but it healed the wound up with an almost invisible scar.

Like I said, we've had ample opportunities to prove to ourselves how well honey works, but recently I had a great chance to test it out on a gaping wound in my hand. I cut myself on a staple that was sticking out of the bottom of couch that I was moving- it was deep- and I'm sure it went through a vein the way it was bleeding. We put a little cayenne pepper in it to help stop the bleeding and I elected to not got to the Doctor to get stitched up because I wanted to see the honey work first hand. The pics tell the story, it took a little longer to close up than it should have because I kinda had to keep using the hand at work.

thumb.jpg
thumb1.jpg
thumb2.jpg

Again- nothing was used to hold the wound closed, no antibiotics, just a band-aid and honey.

Another time it was used impressively was when my wife was bitten by a Brown Recluse and had a terribly painful patch of black, scabby skin that looked like that flesh - eating disease or something. She put salt on it and that black nasty wound basically blew up, the black shit came off and all the puss and poison came out and left a very painful, gaping hole in her leg about the diameter of a nickel. She put a bandage with honey on it and it slowly, but surely closed up and healed with almost no scar.

Just wanted to share what I believe could be a very helpul and beneficial bit of first hand info.

brosil

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I've used honey on a spider bite and it was the only thing I tried that worked. It took about 2 weeks.

Uncle

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
For anything bloody, cayenne pepper is my first call. Will see what honey does.

Interesting, thanks.

Golden Regards
Uncle

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
The Brown Recluse spider bite thing is very interesting.

Brown Recluse bites cause spreading wounds that have MRSA infection.

Cayenne pepper and honey?

I gotta pass this along to Scotty and see what he knows. This could be very important.

Juristic Person

They drew first blood
Platinum Bling
Wouldn’t your cut/bite heal in two weeks anyway without the honey?

dozer99

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
I have used honey on a bad burn with great success. What honey does is inhibit infection. It doesn't cause the wound to heal any faster than normal, but keeps the wound clean and infection free allowing it to heal (maybe a bit faster, but not much).

With a bad burn, 2nd degree or 3rd, the risk of infection is very high. Using Honey every day on a burn will dramatically lower the chance of infection.

hardmoney

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Wouldn’t your cut/bite heal in two weeks anyway without the honey?

Aside from honey's ability to fight infection, the other point to the OP is the way it can heal wound that would normally need stitches. If you look at the pics again, you'll see that the cut below my thumb is barely visible now. Without the honey or some kind of closure method, I would have quite a scar there now.

hardmoney

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
I have used honey on a bad burn with great success. What honey does is inhibit infection. It doesn't cause the wound to heal any faster than normal, but keeps the wound clean and infection free allowing it to heal (maybe a bit faster, but not much).

With a bad burn, 2nd degree or 3rd, the risk of infection is very high. Using Honey every day on a burn will dramatically lower the chance of infection.

Yes, what I've learned is that the honey mixes with your body fluids to create it's own hydrogen peroxide. Though I've had success stopping an infection with honey when using hydrogen peroxide wouldn't work.

Juristic Person

They drew first blood
Platinum Bling
Aside from honey's ability to fight infection, the other point to the OP is the way it can heal wound that would normally need stitches. If you look at the pics again, you'll see that the cut below my thumb is barely visible now. Without the honey or some kind of closure method, I would have quite a scar there now.
Ok I see...

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I don't recommend consuming concentrated sweeteners of any kind in excess, and I know most "honey" you buy in stores isn't. But I can attest to the ability of raw local honey to help with allergies.

Juristic Person

They drew first blood
Platinum Bling
I don't recommend consuming concentrated sweeteners of any kind in excess, and I know most "honey" you buy in stores isn't. But I can attest to the ability of raw local honey to help with allergies.
The only honey I buy is sold down the street from me off a beekeeper....it’s about as locally sourced as I can get it.

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Another good natural healer for bad spider bites of that kind is plantain (the weed, not related to the fruit tree).

I had a bad spider bite, I think it was a crab spider. A pit was forming on my skin that kept getting bigger. I remembered what my mom told me, so I gathered some plantain that was growing in the yard and crushed it with some rocks and put it on the bite under a band-aid and it healed exceptionally fast. She always mentioned to follow up with doing the same with yarrow but I didn't bother that time because it healed so well.

brosil

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
The Amish use a combination of B&W salve and burdock leaves. They use it on everything and claim good results. They've even talked some doctors into using it on burn patients.