• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

houston wins the clown world trophy of the day

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
my h-town boyz know how to make/hang freeway signs

exit 53 = AIRLINE

stark reminder that our systems are becoming more fragile and unstable every day

1619329646504.png

LufT97

Seeker
Seeker
Reaction score
I saw that, not sure which is worse, manufacturing a sign with the street name misspelled, installation of the misspelled sign, or wasting taxpayer funds replacing perfectly good signs with "new" ones.

brosil

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
That is sad. I'm pretty sure her name is spelled Arlene.

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
The "dumbing down" isn't a "project", but a "reality"...

specsaregood

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Basic skills such as math, English language and map reading are not taught in government schools at the same level as 50 years ago.
Evidently they are not taught in the home anymore either. I'm pretty sure I didn't require my poor rural public school to teach me how to spell airline; my parents saw to that. We can't really blame the "government schools" for everything. My mom taught at a public school and for the most part, the kids that failed at school, failed because their parents let them.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Spelring... it's not for everybody....

Fatrat

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Who is worse, the contractor that put that up or the government inspector who accepts it?

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Who is worse, the contractor that put that up or the government inspector who accepts it?

a wise old man i used to work with taught me this

never put two morons in a row

as a society we were still able to (mostly) function with a sprinkling of morons into the structure - as the next guy in the sequence will catch/correct the f--k ups

we are now lining up morons with no capable humans inbetween them

oldgaranddad

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
I guess the quality assurance position is patronage no show job in Houston...or the job is held by a Democratic everyone gets a trophy recipient?

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
I guess the quality assurance position is patronage no show job in Houston...or the job is held by a Democratic everyone gets a trophy recipient?

i want to know how many hands/eyes this sign passed through on it's journey from fabrication to installation -- how many morons in a row? scary

this is not some small or new street. been here forever, major business/commercial

Last edited:

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
I'd like to know if the sign company got paid.

lol....no kidding. probably did -- esp if the gov idiot sent them the mistake to fabricate

specsaregood

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score

newmisty

Transcending the 5 Elements
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Unwarranted grievances!

Air-line? - is for yanks and snobs

Ar'line - that smooth Southern style.

12490268-6940873-Locals_stopped_to_take_selfies_of_themselves_standing_in_the_unu-m-99_1555701111835.jpg
The-Keep-Clear-misspelling-outside-Highfield-Primary-School-in-Blacon.jpg
article-1290338-0A3CD8DC000005DC-930_634x366.jpg

article-2204630-150F8DCC000005DC-943_634x357.jpg
38CD959700000578-3808181-image-m-9_1474912617230.jpg
PAY-Truro-High-School.jpg
4D0F676B00000578-5822597-image-m-10_1528485723306.jpg

g-rated-misspelling-road-paint-school-2222584064
slowspelling.jpg

school-x-ing.jpg

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
All those signs just made me FORGET the correct spelling of that word for "place of education"... Phew!

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

LufT97

Seeker
Seeker
Reaction score
I think the most ridiculous part of this whole story is the government waste involved. As you can see below:

WZ3VGOP7KE6QCAXIGLIXOZSV3A.jpg

There was a perfectly good sign that has been there for YEARS. Someone decided that it needed to be replaced and then some idiot TXDOT employee had to take down the perfectly good sign and replace it with the misspelled one.

None of it makes any sense.

Reaction score
I think the most ridiculous part of this whole story is the government waste involved. As you can see below:

There was a perfectly good sign that has been there for YEARS. Someone decided that it needed to be replaced and then some idiot TXDOT employee had to take down the perfectly good sign and replace it with the misspelled one.

Is that the ladder they were using to get to it?

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
Reaction score
a wise old man i used to work with taught me this

never put two morons in a row

as a society we were still able to (mostly) function with a sprinkling of morons into the structure - as the next guy in the sequence will catch/correct the f--k ups

we are now lining up morons with no capable humans inbetween them
Critical mass.

One in a thousand, no problem.

One in ten, not a big problem.

One out of two...yeah. You got problems.

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
Reaction score

So, let me see.

The sign was replaced, WITH A DIFFERENT STYLE MOUNTING...because one or more brainiac dump-truck driver(s) didn't know enough to drop their dump boxes before heading back out to the gravel pit.

And the guy who laid out the replacement sign, didn't know how to spell "Airline."

Clown world, fer sure.

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
Reaction score
For what it's worth...I learned to drive truck, in exactly that neighborhood.

A dump truck. TINS.

Our garage was on Aldine Mail Route. We were working on the Beltway 8 project.

D-FENZ

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
I dunno. There are lots of misspelled words all around us and have been forever. Even in here. Every. single. day. Sure, something as large and seemingly permanent as a road sign sticks out more and is easy to ridicule but the error is most likely just that- an error.

As a kid, 45 years ago I was driving through the northern Iowa town of Nora Springs when I noticed the water tower painters were finishing up their job by lettering the the last 'S' in the town name. And being the naive kid I was, I thought that it was me that was messed up because it had always been drilled into me that adults were always right. But NORA SPINGS just didn't seem right to me. Anyway, I drove on. A mile or so out of town I turned around and headed back to the base of the tower to mention something to them. And there were lots of them, including people with the city. But nobody had noticed. Turns out they had to repaint the whole name of SPRINGS because the two words had to be centered. Obviously everyone from layout and ground crew to the painters and city employees themselves missed it. The boss offered me a job on the spot. The pay seemed positively astronomic at the time.

If I weren't so mortified of heights, my career path would have no doubt taken off in an entirely different direction.

Reaction score
I dunno. There are lots of misspelled words all around us and have been forever. Even in here. Every. single. day. Sure, something as large and seemingly permanent as a road sign sticks out more and is easy to ridicule but the error is most likely just that- an error.

As a kid, 45 years ago I was driving through the northern Iowa town of Nora Springs when I noticed the water tower painters were finishing up their job by lettering the the last 'S' in the town name. And being the naive kid I was, I thought that it was me that was messed up because it had always been drilled into me that adults were always right. But NORA SPINGS just didn't seem right to me. Anyway, I drove on. A mile or so out of town I turned around and headed back to the base of the tower to mention something to them. And there were lots of them, including people with the city. But nobody had noticed. Turns out they had to repaint the whole name of SPRINGS because the two words had to be centered. Obviously everyone from layout and ground crew to the painters and city employees themselves missed it. The boss offered me a job on the spot. The pay seemed positively astronomic at the time.

If I weren't so mortified of heights, my career path would have no doubt taken off in an entirely different direction.

Used to party on top of the water tower in my hometown. Not a lot, but we did go up there. The cops would come and shine their light. We'd just move to the other side so they couldn't see us. Cat and mouse style. Great fun.

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

Big difference between typing a post on a forum and crafting an expensive, permanent, public information placard.

LufT97

Seeker
Seeker
Reaction score

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

Rollie Free

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You guys just wait a few years.
I went to a high school play this past weekend. Two kids are selling tickets. It's a grand total of 25 dollars, I give the boy two twenties. He acts completely befuddled and starts squirming and says he isnt sure how to do this. He asks the girl next to him what my change will be. She says not to ask her because she isnt good at that stuff. I say nothing because I am sure he can think it through. Eventually he sheepishly gives me 15 dollars back and is asking everyone if that's right.

Keep in mind these two had been in charge of the till.

These people will be administering my meds in 20 years.I am a dead man.

CopperSilverGold

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
You guys just wait a few years.
I went to a high school play this past weekend. Two kids are selling tickets. It's a grand total of 25 dollars, I give the boy two twenties. He acts completely befuddled and starts squirming and says he isnt sure how to do this. He asks the girl next to him what my change will be. She says not to ask her because she isnt good at that stuff. I say nothing because I am sure he can think it through. Eventually he sheepishly gives me 15 dollars back and is asking everyone if that's right.

Keep in mind these two had been in charge of the till.

These people will be administering my meds in 20 years.I am a dead man.

Haha....I love it when I pay cash and they type in the wrong amount and then can't figure out how much change to give back. Like you, I say nothing to see if they can figure it out. More than once they have had to call a manager over for help in figuring it out.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

I had an interesting time with the DEMOCRACTIC PARTY storefront sign. I went in and [politely] said: "Any dumb libs in here know how to spell?"

Total silence, and pairs of eyes everywhere were fastened on me. So I helped: "You spelled a word I never saw before on your big sign outside. Go look."

D-FENZ

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
I had an interesting time with the DEMOCRACTIC PARTY storefront sign. I went in and [politely] said: "Any dumb libs in here know how to spell?"

Total silence, and pairs of eyes everywhere were fastened on me. So I helped: "You spelled a word I never saw before on your big sign outside. Go look."
I was fueling up at a fuel station a couple of years ago and noticed the lettering on a newish food service semi next to me. Can't remember the exact wording but it said something about being the "#1 Food Disturbutor in the Midwest". I mentioned the spelling to the driver. It was funny but you'd have thought that it was the funniest thing the guy had ever seen. I heard him laughing about it till the door closed behind him on his way to the fuel counter. I figure he probably agreed.

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
the local church's chicken sign, the kind with the changeable letters = the comedic gift that keeps on giving

the dollar general on the other corner proudly offers their overstoke items for sale inside their store