• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

How’s Your Weather?

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
The stores were stupid last night. I drove by one, it was worse than the day after Christmas!

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
That wasn't even a storm. Meh. 45 minutes to clean off both car and truck plus shovel 50ftx10 drive. Hand shovel.

The snowball fight and fort building lasted longer.

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Rained ALL DAM_ day yesterday into the night. This morning I woke up to 2 inches of snow on top of the water/ice and flurries still coming down. 16 degrees currently.

Hopefully, It will clear out by tonight to see the Super Moon Eclipse at midnight EST.

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Gotta laugh. Late last week, up until yesterday, forecast anywhere from 8" to 2' overnight. Pfft. Woke up to 4" with some freezing rain. Storm went north of us. Brother probably got more being up in the hills. I hope the negative degree forecast for Monday is wrong too but I doubt it will be.

Wife got day off. All stores at the outlet are closed. May just get some sexy time.

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

engineear

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
74 in Phoenix today. Going to a good friends funeral. Optometrist I've worked with the past 10 years. Really good guy. Will be missed big time.
About 6 weeks ago a woman comes in holding on to a big German shepherd guide dog, she has an eye appointment. I'm thinking what is she expecting? The doc sees her, suggests glasses...shes -16 with 3 diopters of astigmatism! He goes back in his office for a few minutes, comes back and says let's try some contacts. She's a previous wearer before her vision deteriorated. I know we don't have that high of power in trial lenses but he tells me we have a -12...lets try it. She puts them on and is astounded at her vision! That gets her to 20/40! She tells us that all the other doctors she's been to never gave her any hope or attempted anything like that. She is ecstatic, obviously. She can't thank him enough. After the initial fit and numerous trials we find a lens that fits and corrects some of the astigmatism. We order a years supply and she will never be the same.

After the final fit I go in his office to talk to him about what's happened and he's crying. What's up doc? He says " if it's the last thing I do it's good to know I helped someone to see. Not just make their vision better with a yearly exam, but to see! I can retire knowing I made a difference." I started crying with him. Why no one else offered to try to help her is beyond me but he was the type that would exhaust all options to get better vision for the patient. He will be missed, more than anyone knows.

So the day will be sunny, bright and warm but there is a hollowness too. He can't be replaced. We'll probably get a young guy out of school that will be up on all the new stuff but it will take decades for him to understand what really can be achieved if one will just listen to the patient and care about getting the best results. Hands on is better than knowing what's in a book...experience takes time.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
-5 degrees this morning, but the sun is out so it will be betta soon!

I think it's going to be better sooner than you think, monsewer!

I'm researching "Marco Island"

Anybody know anything about Marco island?

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
The weather report in tokyo yesterday said we are entering "daikan" 大寒, which is typically the coldest time of year, but high of 51 degrees, very unseasonably warm. The ume (flowering plum) trees are starting to bloom, even some of the cherry blossom buds are starting to swell. We're a couple months too early for all of that.

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I think it's going to be better sooner than you think, monsewer!

I'm researching "Marco Island"

Anybody know anything about Marco island?
nice place for a beach condo.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Warming up here and I need to blow snow outta the yard but the friggin wind is outta the SE which is exactly wrong for that job. Supposed to be 20F by tommorow which will make the critters grin.

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
At about 11:45pm EST the Lunar Eclipse will be directly overhead. Here in Central Kentucky the weather is perfectly clear to go out and observe the phenomena.
I was just outside ( it is cold as feck which makes everything look that much clearer) only a small sliver of the moon is left to be engulfed by the Earth's shadow.

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
-1 with -12 wind chills. definitely putting the wood stove to the test. Combination of chestnut oak and hicky seems to keep up with it fine though. As soon as it starts burning down you can feel the cold setting in.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Nice to wake up to this........

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 8 PM MST /9 PM CST/THIS EVENING TO 5 PM MST /6 PM CST/ TUESDAY

* WHAT...Mixed precipitation expected. Total snow accumulations
of 1 to 3 inches and ice accumulations of a light glaze
expected. Winds gusting as high as 50 mph.

* WHERE...Portions of northwest and west central Kansas, east
central Colorado and southwest Nebraska.

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Nice to wake up to this........

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 8 PM MST /9 PM CST/THIS EVENING TO 5 PM MST /6 PM CST/ TUESDAY

* WHAT...Mixed precipitation expected. Total snow accumulations
of 1 to 3 inches and ice accumulations of a light glaze
expected. Winds gusting as high as 50 mph.

* WHERE...Portions of northwest and west central Kansas, east
central Colorado and southwest Nebraska.
Those winds can be tough.. Batten down the hatches :)

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
-1 here too. went out and loaded wood on the boiler. Temp on it was down to 127, so the blower on my furnace has run continuously as 127 degree water from the boiler does not keep the air temp in the house above the thermostat demand when it's below zero out.

The boiler wasn't out nor is the house cold, but it takes closer to a 160 - 180 water temp to keep up with the demand.

Alton

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
-9 below ZERO! Winds out of the north-northwest right down beautiful Lake Michigan makes it colder than Scorp's butt on an iceberg! Relatively clear skies and lots of sunshine to get us up to a balmy +7 above ZERO this afternoon...might have to take off that second pair of longjohns before I break a sweat!

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
What happened to global warming?
I think it moved to Mars or mercury, any warmer climate than here. Those promoting and spreading fear about it should be jailed.

MSM probably isn't reporting on the snows inSaudi arabia, record snowfalls around the world ect.. The Sun is shutting down and according the Valentina (I cant pronounce her last name let alone spell it)Zarkova or something like that, The cycle we are in now is a 400 year cycle. Before this cycle there is always a warming and then the temps drop..That 20 year warming period we saw may be the warmest temps for the next 400 years.

Mini ice age? Quite possible. Seems to be some volcanoes popping off lately as well which will add to the cooling.. If we get 1 year without a summer things will get tough.. 2 in a row will be society changing. At least the Gov stockpiled food for themselves.

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Start at about 1 min 50 to avoid the ad. He talks a little about the snow events going on around the world.. Ice age farmers channel also covers similar material.
Both of these channels are just independents sharing information. Why do they get it right with 0 funding but government sponsored science gets it wrong with billions in funding?

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Next week should be interesting here. 5-9 inches of snow forecast for Sunday night with strong winds. Then it is going to get real cold, low around -26 F Tuesday night, high around -11 F on Wednesday. How cold are witches titties anyway? I would venture it will be colder.
weather-2019-01-25.JPG

davycoppitt

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
^^^^

Was on a roof all week. Buildings starting to go down everywhere. Start on call tonight until next friday. Already got 2.5 hours of OT on the night and its just starting. Going to be a bitch of a week. I'm preparing to be a on roof in the middle of the night in that crap. Not looking forward to the next 7 days. Two guys at the shop said they would give me a hand if I get backed up, so that's pretty sweet.

Boiler guys in class are all hands on deck this next week. Entire shop on call.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
^^^^

Was on a roof all week. Buildings starting to go down everywhere. Start on call tonight until next friday. Already got 2.5 hours of OT on the night and its just starting. Going to be a bitch of a week. I'm preparing to be a on roof in the middle of the night in that crap. Not looking forward to the next 7 days. Two guys at the shop said they would give me a hand if I get backed up, so that's pretty sweet.

Boiler guys in class are all hands on deck this next week. Entire shop on call.
What area of the land is that Davy?

We had a pretty & quaint snowfall today right before dark. Maybe had a 1/4 " stick. It's in the 20's now.

mayhem

RIP 9/6. Anything new is posted by his widow.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
+68 and I'm freezing. Gave up shoveling rain 45 years ago.

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
:rotf:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
A smart ass reporter asked Willy Sutton why he robbed banks.

that's where the money is!
hurricanes are the 21st century way to refinance!

davycoppitt

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
What area of the land is that Davy?

We had a pretty & quaint snowfall today right before dark. Maybe had a 1/4 " stick. It's in the 20's now.
MN. Cold week and even colder headed our way. Once you get this long of cold spell HVAC systems Start breaking.
-20s without windchill next Tuesda Wednesday.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
What happened to global warming?
The alarming thing is the devout followers of algore the pious and his global warming religion will tell you with a straight face that increased intense cold weather is proof of global warming. Yep, it's true.
In the meantime somebody ought to explain to these alligators that they are not really freezing themselves into ice blocks.
Because, you know, it's actually getting warmer all the time. .
aroll.gif

Here's why alligators are purposefully freezing themselves in North Carolina swamps
By Mark Puleo, AccuWeather staff writer

Not having to move for months at a time might sound like a dream to some, but for reptiles, it’s a means of survival. Brumation, which is essentially the reptilian equivalent of hibernation, is a dormant period when cold-blooded reptiles temporarily shut down all activity to conserve energy.

As was recently seen in a video from The Shallotte River Swamp Park in North Carolina, alligators brumate by allowing their bodies to freeze in a swamp with their noses poking through the ice. By allowing themselves to freeze in place, the gators can lower their body temperatures and slow their metabolisms enough to survive the freezing winter temperatures.

RELATED:
Cold-stunned iguanas drop from trees in South Florida
Incredible video shows alligator sticking snout through ice to survive frozen pond
In case you missed it: Deadly snowstorms pummel eastern, midwestern US as landscapes turn icy following Arctic outbreak

VIDEO: Manatees move into springs as temperatures drop

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weat...-themselves-in-north-carolina-swamps/70007255

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
MN. Cold week and even colder headed our way. Once you get this long of cold spell HVAC systems Start breaking.
-20s without windchill next Tuesda Wednesday.
Hey best of luck to you, Davy. That has gotta be a real tough job in this weather. I always hate it when outside it is unbearably cold meanwhile our server room gets too hot because the ACs fail. I especially hate calling to have someone go up on the roof and repair them in this crap. The locals who do that work here are some of the best guys you'll ever meet.

Updated forecast. 5-11 inches of snow expected this afternoon through tonight. Then comes the big chill.
weather-2019-01-27.JPG

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Not having to move for months at a time might sound like a dream to some, but for reptiles, it’s a means of survival. Brumation, which is essentially the reptilian equivalent of hibernation, is a dormant period when cold-blooded reptiles temporarily shut down all activity to conserve energy.
...the real reason for the government shutdown!

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Apparently I am going to get clobbered with 10 to 16 inches of snow and moar negative degrees for highs in the next 12 hours.
For the next few days too.
Yippee. At least I was right to get my truck all fixed up while it was still relatively warm!